Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

When I saw this morning who we hired to replace Eddie Reese it just made me even more disappointed how we abandoned that criteria for men’s basketball. 

Seems a lot easier to go moneywhip or steal someone in a non-revenue sport than a revenue sport, no? Uconn is probably 100x more likely to let their very successful swimming and diving coach leave for Texas than Dan Hurley. 

Plus, hiring in revenue sports likely involves more than just the AD, so you get additional opinions/input. I wouldn't say our hiring criteria for our top moneymaking sport 3 years ago mirrored what we did in softball or women's basketball or swimming and diving under the same leadership. Probably a multitude of reasons for that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Seems a lot easier to go moneywhip or steal someone in a non-revenue sport than a revenue sport, no? Uconn is probably 100x more likely to let their very successful swimming and diving coach leave for Texas than Dan Hurley. 

Plus, hiring in revenue sports likely involves more than just the AD, so you get additional opinions/input. I wouldn't say our hiring criteria for our top moneymaking sport 3 years ago mirrored what we did in softball or women's basketball or swimming and diving under the same leadership. Probably a multitude of reasons for that. 

yeah and also easier to moneywhip someone to take over the best program in the country.  

we may have gotten fortunate with Sark as it was certainly a risk. time will tell how consistent he is keeping us at the top. Basketball we hired Beard and the money wanted Terry after the incident and I am guessing CDC didn't have a better option at that time.  we'll know in a couple of years if Terry works out.

Baseball is the one where our AD being a disaster caused us to "reach".

• Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

As usual you are missing the fucking point.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We could have moneywhipped almost any coach in America for basketball. 

Texas actively chose not to. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Context matters.  Everyone with any functioning brain cells understands why Terry was hired, and why it was the right thing to do.  We all want the best coach possible for all of our programs, but sometimes shit happens that has to be taken into consideration.  If you are looking to blame someone for the Terry hire, he lives in Mississippi, and his name rhymes with Chris Beard.  

I don't understand why this is so difficult for some people to understand.

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Because people are intentionally obtuse about it.  No, Texas should have 100% told RT, who took Texas to their first Elite 8 since Bush was president, to go fuck himself after he took over for Beard's dumb ass and kept the ship steady and won 3 NCAAT games.  And came within a hair of winning a 4th and sending Texas to the Final Four (GOD DAMNIT BROCK)

Nah, CDC should have emptied out Terry's office 5 min after the Elite 8 loss to Miami. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Because people are intentionally obtuse about it.  No, Texas should have 100% told RT, who took Texas to their first Elite 8 since Bush was president, to go fuck himself after he took over for Beard's dumb ass and kept the ship steady and won 3 NCAAT games.  And came within a hair of winning a 4th and sending Texas to the Final Four (GOD DAMNIT BROCK)

Nah, CDC should have emptied out Terry's office 5 min after the Elite 8 loss to Miami. 

now, now...let's not be so disingenuous....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

Context matters.  Everyone with any functioning brain cells understands why Terry was hired, and why it was the right thing to do.  We all want the best coach possible for all of our programs, but sometimes shit happens that has to be taken into consideration.  If you are looking to blame someone for the Terry hire, he lives in Mississippi, and his name rhymes with Chris Beard.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

CDC is the one who came out and set the standard: we should have top 10 programs across the board, and we should go after and hire only the best of the best. last i checked rodney terry didn’t save all of our players from a burning building and then personally nurse them back to health from his bed in the icu- he (barely) managed not to crash the auto-driving tesla. lest we forget that we entered the 2023 postseason with 100% of this board believing that RT was almost surely gone after our underwhelming regular season under him, and that penn state was 1-2 missed shots away from sending us packing in the round of 32.

Texas Athletics is not a charity, it’s huge business. hiring Terry being “the right thing to do” is a)subjective, and b)really really low on the list of reasons to give someone a 5-year contract to be the HC at Texas. we’re supposed to be going after national titles, not “doing the right thing” by hiring a guy who we’d otherwise never even let interview for this job in a million years. 

if we had money whipped timmy lloyd, nate oats, or even tj otzelberger then Texas would be in the beginning stages of what is hopefully the most prosperous era in the history of Texas Basketball, while RT would be coaching an UT-Arlington or somewhere similar, doing his typical mediocre job, and absolutely nobody here, including you two, would be raging about how Texas failed to do the right thing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

. . . penn state was 1-2 missed shots away from sending us packing in the round of 32.

And we were one (actually two) injuries and an OT period away from the Final Four.  We can all play this stupid game.

and absolutely nobody here, including you two, would be raging about how Texas failed to do the right thing.

Don't speak for me, Derka.  Regardless, you're a fool if you think Texas could have cut RT loose after a run to the Elite Eight and a narrow miss of the FInal Four.  

Five year contracts mean nothing.  We'll fire him if the program slips from here.  If the program DOESN'T slip, or god forbid actually improves, then that's not exactly bad, is it?

• Hook 'Em 1

If we had been knocked out by Penn St in the R32 last year, I would have been a-ok with saying “thanks for stabilizing the ship, but good luck elsewhere”

That all changed when we made the Elite 8

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Regardless, you're a fool if you think Texas could have cut RT loose after a run to the Elite Eight

of course we could have. all we had to was weigh his 27 year career vs his half season with chris beard’s team, come to the only logical conclusion (he’s not the man for this job), and hire someone better. again, if we hadn’t hired RT then what would he be doing? he’d be at some MWC or CUSA school doing nothing of note. where would the outrage be coming from?

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Don't speak for me, Derka.

lol ok you got it. if Nate Oats were the Texas HC and RT was going 18-13 at UNT then you’d still be in here bitching that we didn’t hire RT. feel better?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

of course we could have.

You have no concept how the top brass at UT works.  There is absolutely no chance we would have fired RT after last season, barring some kind of scandal.

It's as if you have never operated in the working world, where top institutions and those who are in charge of them actually care about the image they have carefully cultivated.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if we had money whipped timmy lloyd, nate oats, or even tj otzelberger then Texas would be in the beginning stages of what is hopefully the most prosperous era in the history of Texas Basketball

Following last season, T.J. Otzelberger was 41-27 at ISU and they were an 11 seed and got bounced in the 1st round.  And at UNLV before that he was 29-30 and missed the tourney both years.  It isn't like he was a sure-thing hire.

Tommy Lloyd would have likely parlayed any interest from us into a big raise at Arizona.  

We probably could have gotten Nate Oats. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

again, if we hadn’t hired RT then what would he be doing? he’d be at some MWC or CUSA school doing nothing of note

What about now? Coming off a second year with a tourney win, a top-25 KenPom final year ranking, and having just signed the #8 HS recruiting class?  If RT wanted out at Texas and tested the water, I think he would land a decent job.  Maybe not as good as Marquette or Tennessee, but better than Fresno State. 

I think RT would do better at Stanford than Kyle Smith (for instance).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

If the program DOESN'T slip, or god forbid actually improves, then that's not exactly bad, is it?

I’m convinced some people on this board* WANT our program to slip/fail so they can say they were right about RT

It’s very tedious having the same argument about RT over and over and OVER again. I’m probably the biggest RT “sunshine pumper” on here and all I’ve ever said is we have to wait and see how he does before jumping to conclusions.

I think he did a decent (not great) job this year with the hand he was dealt. Next year we’ll really see what’s up as he will likely be rid of Beards guys in Hunter and Mitchell and the team will be mostly his guys.

IMO Shedrick could have a monster year next year if he’s healthy. Weaver we all love. Johnson looks great. Let’s see who else RT can pick up in the portal and what he can do with them 

*(PS im not naming names or singling anyone out) 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I’m convinced some people on this board* WANT our program to slip/fail so they can say they were right about RT

It’s very tedious having the same argument about RT over and over and OVER again. I’m probably the biggest RT “sunshine pumper” on here and all I’ve ever said is we have to wait and see how he does before jumping to conclusions.

I think he did a decent (not great) job this year with the hand he was dealt. Next year we’ll really see what’s up as he will likely be rid of Beards guys in Hunter and Mitchell and the team will be mostly his guys.

IMO Shedrick could have a monster year next year if he’s healthy. Weaver we all love. Johnson looks great. Let’s see who else RT can pick up in the portal and what he can do with them 

*(PS im not naming names or singling anyone out) 

I was ok with him till the pantywaist horns down bullshit.  You are a motherfucking clown from that point forward nothing you can do will wash off that cowardly stench.

11 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I was ok with him till the pantywaist horns down bullshit.  You are a motherfucking clown from that point forward nothing you can do will wash off that cowardly stench.

LOL.  Lighten up, Francis.  It's not like he beat up his girlfriend.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

the RT martyrdom posts are impossible to take seriously because we endured six years of shaka here, and people here *hated* his tactics, his style, his fake persona, his lack of tourney wins, etc, and people passionately wanted him fired for years. the things that people said and felt about shaka were a million times worse than anything that anyone has said or feels about RT.

nobody is rooting for Texas to lose. nobody has even been particularly harsh on RT. every single argument that’s been made against him being our coach has been based on his career resume. the horns down shit was embarrassing as well. but as far as coaches in RT’s position (plenty of the fan base not having faith that he’s the answer) go i can say for a fact that he’s been treated more fairly and less harshly than any other coach in UT message board history. the idea that anyone is rooting against Texas so that we’ll dump RT is totally baseless. it’s a joke.

Edited by shadow_operative

. . . and yet you can't seem to get it through your monumentally thick fucking skull that "nobody" thinks we would have hired RT under normal circumstances.  Seriously, drop it.  We all understand what happened.  What you don't seem to understand is that The University of Texas was never going to cut him loose after last year's tournament run, no matter how much stooges like you think we should have done so.  It's a non-starter.  Stop starting it.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

He did win a 4th. Two weeks ago.

Well I meant 4 in the same tournament, but yes, he has 4 NCAAT wins.  Including the one this year that most people assumed we'd lose

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Again, I started this thread, but RT has earned the right to be Texas' coach at this point. Four tournament wins in two years is above the norm for Texas.

Likewise, he's going to have to lose the job, which he has not done at this point. We can speculate on his credentials all we want, but he's going to have to underachieve enough to get fired. Again, this has not happened.

@shadow_operative, we understand (and agree) that he would not have been hired under a normal coaching search, but that's a moot point.

RT has his work cut out for him in 2024-2025. Let's see what happens. The true build starts now. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and yet you can't seem to get it through your monumentally thick fucking skull that "nobody" thinks we would have hired RT under normal circumstances.  Seriously, drop it.  We all understand what happened.  What you don't seem to understand is that The University of Texas was never going to cut him loose after last year's tournament run, no matter how much stooges like you think we should have done so.  It's a non-starter.  Stop starting it.

you get so upset every time you respond to me, and then like 1 out of every 3 those times you end your own angry post with “rant incoming”. it’s never not funny seeing you rage at a simple differing opinion only to then project it onto the target of your own anger.  

i don’t think Texas was obligated to hire RT long term. you do. only one of us is repeatedly losing his mind over this disagreement. something to marinate on.

43 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well I meant 4 in the same tournament, but yes, he has 4 NCAAT wins.  Including the one this year that most people assumed we'd lose

I know what you meant.

Texas had 2 in the 12 years before Beard got here. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

you get so upset every time you respond to me, and then like 1 out of every 3 those times you end your own angry post with “rant incoming”. it’s never not funny seeing you rage at a simple differing opinion only to then project it onto the target of your own anger.  

i don’t think Texas was obligated to hire RT long term. you do. only one of us is repeatedly losing his mind over this disagreement. something to marinate on.

You have a serious disconnect with reality.  Full stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I’d like to see what people bitching about Texas hiring RT voted for in the “What would it take to keep RT” thread prior to the tournament last year. Can almost guarantee 90% voted an elite 8 or worse. You can bitch now with hindsight I guess but Texas keeping him was expected and reasonable.

Edited by Hank_Hill

4 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Actually I bet >90% of basketball viewers that aren’t chronically online don’t give a fuck about it now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I’d like to see what people bitching about Texas hiring RT voted for in the “What would it take to keep RT” thread prior to the tournament last year. Can almost guarantee 90% voted an elite 8 or worse. You can bitch now with hindsight I guess but Texas keeping him was expected and reasonable.

i posted right away that there was nothing he could do- including a texas national title win- that would make me think that he was good enough to be our permanent HC. several others agreed with me.

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Actually I bet >90% of basketball viewers that aren’t chronically online don’t give a fuck about it now. 

you mean now that the season is over? because every single away game played after that incident was “Horns Down Night” at the opposing arena.

15 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

You can bitch now with hindsight I guess but Texas keeping him was expected and reasonable.

Yep, whether you like it or not no program was going to get rid of an interim coach coming off an Elite 8 and Big 12 tournament title. 

Can anyone find an interim coach with similar results who was then let go? There are countless examples of coaches who achieved far less and then had the interim tag removed. Hell, Ohio State just hired an interim coach because he finished 6-2 and upset Purdue. 

Is there even 1 example of an interim coach who finished as a top 8 team and was then let go at the college level? Maybe there is but I bet the list is extremely small. 

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

because every single away game played after that incident was “Horns Down Night” at the opposing arena.

So like every other night for the past decade plus. They just made shirts. Sick. 

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i posted right away that there was nothing he could do- including a texas national title win- that would make me think that he was good enough to be our permanent HC. several others agreed with me.

I did account for the 10% of truly special posters in my 90% estimate yes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, dcar00 said:

yeah and also easier to moneywhip someone to take over the best program in the country.  

we may have gotten fortunate with Sark as it was certainly a risk. time will tell how consistent he is keeping us at the top. Basketball we hired Beard and the money wanted Terry after the incident and I am guessing CDC didn't have a better option at that time.  we'll know in a couple of years if Terry works out.

Baseball is the one where our AD being a disaster caused us to "reach".

What are you talking about "the money wanted Terry after the incident." He was the fucking assistant head coach. The whole scenario played out practically by the book after Beard's arrest. Anyone could see what was coming. I did. He was named the interim head coach. There were a lot of people - Del Conte included - that hoped something could be worked out other than firing him, but it just wasn't in the cards. Then once Terry made it to the Elite Eight it was all done. I think it's more accurate to say the administration wanted Terry, and that was enough.

It feels like you're throwing shit out there without having a clue what you're talking about because you're disgruntled Terry is the head coach. Which I get. But it doesn't mean we live in some kind of alternate reality where the money people were just begging for Terry to be the guy. They weren't. 

I understand the sentiment that wishes it had gone down differently, but I don't consider any of those sentiments reasonable. He's the coach until he's proven he can't get it done. One season where we lose in the second round of the NCAA tournament ain't it. 

We'll either have our shot at a big time hire in a couple of years or Terry will have proven to be a better fit for the job than I give him credit for. 

Oh, and if you want a silver lining, the raise in pay for Sarkisian means there's more room to pay the head basketball coach without eclipsing the football coach's salary, which is a plus. 

But we've got some time to kill until then. Maybe it works out with Terry. Who knows?

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the money wanted Terry and the AD loved the idea so much he gave him the minimum contract he could possibly get away with.

I don't think you know anyone who could possibly be considered "the money."

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

in this particular instance I do.

And in this particular instance your favorite money person was instrumental in Terry getting the job.

Okay.

All I can tell you is the basketball people I know were not excited about the whole circumstances surrounding Terry getting the job, but feel like he deserves a chance. Which he is getting. 

And then there are other people who are not money people who feel like this is a good example of why Texas will never be great in basketball. Because this wouldn't have happened in football, the argument goes. Which I don't agree with. If a situation analogous to what happened with Beard and Terry occurred in football, I think it would have been very difficult to make a change. Even in football. 

We just have to let it play out. Hopefully Terry ends up being a home run hire.