2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

20 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

cornyn going to be #1 now?

That's a good question.  Logically, he should be.  But it may be short-lived if he's retiring for 2026.  And if that's the case, does someone like Cruz or Scott try to undercut him?

It is going to depend on if there's a GOP Senate in 2025 or not.  If they're in the minority another 2 years, I assume Cornyn or someone like Thune takes it for 2 years.  If there's a GOP majority, one of the ambitious fuckwads like Cruz, Scott, Hawley, etc. is going to go hard in the paint for it. 

Edited by Js1

19 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm a page behind but Haley primary voters will come home to Trump in November. They hate Democrats much more than they dislike Trump.

More than half of Haley’s voters won't vote for Trump in November. The only people left on the Trump Train are diehards and self-serving assholes

• Hook 'Em 9

I would think John Thune would step up before Cornyn.  Though both are equally connected in terms of fundraising and cracking skulls.  Thune is just younger and more energetic and charismatic than Cornyn within their base.  Both can raise a fuck-ton of money, which is the legacy McConnell wants to leave behind since say what you will about Mitch, that was his best asset.  

In totally unrelated news, Mitch has announced that while he is stepping down from leadership, he wants to continue to serve, and plans to spend more time near the Blanco River of Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I would think John Thune would step up before Cornyn.  Though both are equally connected in terms of fundraising and cracking skulls.  Thune is just younger and more energetic and charismatic than Cornyn within their base.  Both can raise a fuck-ton of money, which is the legacy McConnell wants to leave behind since say what you will about Mitch, that was his best asset.  

In totally unrelated news, Mitch has announced that while he is stepping down from leadership, he wants to continue to serve, and plans to spend more time near the Blanco River of Texas.  

That’s if Trump allows it.

EDIT; That also assumes whoever gets it isn’t tasked with giving all the money to Trump

Edited by Zonahorn

1 hour ago, Zonahorn said:

More than half of Haley’s voters won't vote for Trump in November. The only people left on the Trump Train are diehards and self-serving assholes

i voted for Nikki Haley yesterday in the Republican Primary, grinned when the clerk asked me which primary.  I'm certainly not voting for Trump in November, so your'e right. All Democrats should sneak vote for Haley as much as possible to topple the MAGA. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Every vote cast against Trump in red states drives his subconscious to shut down and stop his heartbeat.  But yeah, the Democratic primary ballot for President totally matters.  It's like you guys don't even enjoy hurting people

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

That's a good question.  Logically, he should be.  But it may be short-lived if he's retiring for 2026.  And if that's the case, does someone like Cruz or Scott try to undercut him?

It is going to depend on if there's a GOP Senate in 2025 or not.  If they're in the minority another 2 years, I assume Cornyn or someone like Thune takes it for 2 years.  If there's a GOP majority, one of the ambitious fuckwads like Cruz, Scott, Hawley, etc. is going to go hard in the paint for it. 

Blah blah blah.

Remember the rule for this timeline: it only gets worse, and there is no bottom.

Meaning....we are going to soon yearn for the days of the kind, measured, humane leadership of Mitch.  Because whoever replaces him will be much, much, much worse.  How?  No idea.  I just know that the GQP will find a way to pull it off.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Blah blah blah.

Remember the rule for this timeline: it only gets worse, and there is no bottom.

Meaning....we are going to soon yearn for the days of the kind, measured, humane leadership of Mitch.  Because whoever replaces him will be much, much, much worse.  How?  No idea.  I just know that the GQP will find a way to pull it off.

Yeah so Ted

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm sure they can find someone even more awful and repellent than Ted.  You gotta have faith in the GQP.  They always come through for such things.

Tuberville? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

YouGov's poll today (44-44 tie) broke down what groups are even paying attention to the race right now:

• Only 17% of independents
  • Only 25% of 18-29
  • Only 27% of Hispanic voters
  • Only 29% of black voters

Yeah, ain't nobody paying attention yet. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

YouGov's poll today (44-44 tie) broke down what groups are even paying attention to the race right now:

• Only 25% of 18-29

Because 'paying attention' is pointless unless you're truly undecided.

I only 'pay attention' to CR when it comes to politics. Otherwise, I have an actual life to live and voting is in November.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

101,000 Michigan Uncommitted is only 13% of the Democrat turnout but still 100,000 might be within the margin of victory in November. That's a big lump of people still.   Doesn't matter though, even if Biden wins MI, he's losing PA and that takes Trump to 1600. 

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

I'd ask for your super special evidence Biden is losing PA but I bet it's as thin and runny as your shits after taco bell

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

• Only 25% of 18-29

A (genuinely intelligent) coworker made the comment today that "ah, looks like Trump will be the nominee again.  Guess I should start paying attention, should be interesting."  

Yet another reminder that most normal people just don't care about this shit yet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

15 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yet another reminder that most normal people just don't care about this shit yet.

The thing is, normal people do not understand we’re dealing with a hardened fanatical cult that will die for the Orange Jesus if he gives the order.  

I believe this election is going to be a catastrophic train wreck for the country EITHER WAY, and just like January 6th, it is completely preventable. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

If Mitch thought the GOP was going to take the Senate this year, he wouldn’t step down until he got a few more things done next year.  All these politicians have access to a lot better data on the upcoming election than we plebes do.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, David Dennison said:

Riiiiiiiight.

It’s unlikely he loses any states he won. Maybe 1 (GA) but Dems have done nothing but keep winning in WI, MI, PA, AZ, NV since 2020

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

i voted for Nikki Haley yesterday in the Republican Primary, grinned when the clerk asked me which primary.  I'm certainly not voting for Trump in November, so your'e right. All Democrats should sneak vote for Haley as much as possible to topple the MAGA. 

If I voted in a republican primary, I’d have to scrub myself Silkwood style to get that filth off me.

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.threads.net/@marc.e.elias/post/C36om55Npc6/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

To everyone feeling dispirited and worried about our country tonight, I offer these words on how I view the fight for democracy. It is from a profile on me from two years ago.   I hope it helps you keep up the fight. https://newyorker.com/news/persons-of-interest/the-first-defense-against-trumps-assault-on-democracy

IMG_20240228_200003_670.thumb.jpg.2a38010249d096d64c89d39a51951a2f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i know we're all mostly immune to it by now...but every once in a while i still get a wave of OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS DISGUSTING MALIGNANT SOCIOPATH WAS ACTUALLY OUR PRESIDENT 😝

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

houston da race is on the dem side, or else i would have voted the R primary 

So we are getting attack ads in Georgia for the first time, at least that I have noticed, in the last two to three days.  The ad I've seen is all about Haley saying how awful Trump is that she's had a front row seat for it, the trick is, I think its a Dem paid ad.  They are just using cuts from Haley to make it appear as though it's her ad.  I think that's kind of clever, especially while the primary is under way and it can easily be confused.  At any rate, the fact that this ad, thus far is the only one appearing in Georgia is good news as far as I'm concerned.  While I don't think we are the only lynch pin in November, I'm glad to see it.  

After today's shit show with the Supreme Court, I wonder if the Dems can use this as a part of the national platform, ie judicial (specifically Supreme Court) reform.  The Court's approval rating is in the teens even prior to this; I know I'd at least make this part of the national strategy.  

• Hook 'Em 9

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

It’s unlikely he loses any states he won. Maybe 1 (GA) but Dems have done nothing but keep winning in WI, MI, PA, AZ, NV since 2020

I wish I shared some of y'all's optimism. Biden won GA, AZ, and WI by a COMBINED 40k votes, out of 11.5 million cast in those states. That's nothing. That's noise in the data. And that was when Joe was 4 years younger, and everyone was sick of 4 years of Trump chaos, and Trump was thick in the middle of his shitty handling of the pandemic and the associated economic crisis.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Oh it's real and it will absolutely work on his followers. Biden is a senile old man who can barely talk. Trump is doing a bit for comedy. He knows what he's saying and it's to throw off the liberal media!!! Big strong men come up to him crying saying "thank you, I also confuse things intentionally for comedy". 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

We have an aggressive Russian dictator waging war in Ukraine and one hardline faction of one political party blocking aid. One of the two presidential candidates has stared Russia would have carte blanche to proceed to attack NATO states without US involvement

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

The same hardline faction of the same party that is fighting for Russian interests scuttled the strictest immigration legislation in I have no idea how long. A governor of the same political party, again, is playing fake army and killing people in Eagle Pass while doing nothing about the larger problem.

It’s not just Congress, it’s that Trump, a candidate, is directly influencing whether Republicans in Congress act for or against the best interests of America.  This is worse than Nixon’s people fucking with the Vietnam talks and Johnson, and Reagan’s people fucking with the Iranian stuff, because it’s in the open and it’s affecting a wide range of topics, not just our border security or helping Russian dictators out.  

• Hook 'Em 6