Texas (+4.5) @TCU- 1pm on ESPN2

shadow_operative

Our inability to get Abmas better looks in the flow of these big games is puzzling. He's one of the best catch-and-shoot guys out there, but he's having to settle for so many highly contested shots. I know other teams are focused on him, but still. Just one or two extra open looks per game could alter our season. 

8 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Our inability to get Abmas better looks in the flow of these big games is puzzling. He's one of the best catch-and-shoot guys out there, but he's having to settle for so many highly contested shots. I know other teams are focused on him, but still. Just one or two extra open looks per game could alter our season. 

They ran a double pick action to him multiple times throughout the game and he missed one wide open shot and decided not to shoot it 2 other times. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's going to be interesting what Mitchell and Hunter do next year.

I think both believe they're NBA caliber players but they aren't. Hunter is nowhere close to being a NBA player. Mitchell does a few things well but he can't dribble or shoot at all. From what I've seen in mock drafts, he's likely a late 2nd rounder or undrafted right now. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's going to be interesting what Mitchell and Hunter do next year.

I think both believe they're NBA caliber players but they aren't. Hunter is nowhere close to being a NBA player. Mitchell does a few things well but he can't dribble or shoot at all. From what I've seen in mock drafts, he's likely a late 2nd rounder or undrafted right now. 

I mean, if PJ Tucker had to go make a living overseas for a few years, I don't see how these two look any better at the same age.

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I mean, if PJ Tucker had to go make a living overseas for a few years, I don't see how these two look any better at the same age.

How much do players make overseas?

I think this was what Disu planned to do but then he was able to make more at Texas with NIL. Not saying Mitchell and Hunter are worth the same amount as Disu of course. 

4 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I think Mitchell has potential and is starting to show it. Seemed like he had a great game today.

I can't see Hunter playing any NBA minutes in his life unless something changes in a big way real quick.

Mitchell has improved this year. I don't think he's anywhere close to being a NBA caliber player though. Maybe teams think he has that potential in a couple of years. 

He's an extremely flawed player. He can't dribble, can't shoot from outside about 10 feet, and he's not big/strong enough to guard anyone with size at the 4/5 position. He is an athletic freak and has been a workhorse on the boards this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

How much do players make overseas?

I think this was what Disu planned to do but then he was able to make more at Texas with NIL. Not saying Mitchell and Hunter are worth the same amount as Disu of course. 

Yeah, I have no idea, but it's a different time for these guys now for sure.

I think Mitchell is worth some NIL money. He can rebound and is fine as your 4th or 5th best player. 

I'm not even sure Hunter is worth much at the moment. You can find a better replacement in the portal but I guess there's value in continuity having 3 starters potentially back (Hunter, Mitchell, and Weaver). 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

They ran a double pick action to him multiple times throughout the game and he missed one wide open shot and decided not to shoot it 2 other times. 

this.  he had some open looks and was throwing bricks.  good news was he reverted the mean later...

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

This is from a Barstool blog earlier this week regarding the shirts. Love to see it.

IMG_3772.thumb.jpeg.ddd32cf5fb9e6f4418035f7d805b4ce4.jpeg

Fuck TCU, fuck their psycho coach, and especially fuck their bitch ass fans. 

Football ✔️

Basketball ✔️

Now lets sweep their ass at Disch-Falk and never schedule those cunts again.

36 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think Mitchell is worth some NIL money. He can rebound and is fine as your 4th or 5th best player. 

I'm not even sure Hunter is worth much at the moment. You can find a better replacement in the portal but I guess there's value in continuity having 3 starters potentially back (Hunter, Mitchell, and Weaver). 

I'm looking forward to see what this  guy can do

image.png.e36a28fa00e3b1aa478ee60200d64439.png

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

59 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Tucker had basketball skill just didn't have the measurables. It is almost the complete opposite of Mitchell. His inability to shoot or do anything with the ball in his hands makes him a hard sell as a 3-D wing in today's NBA. He needs another year of college ball and serious skills work in the offseason. Hunter needs to go somewhere else and be their problem.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Mitchell has improved this year. I don't think he's anywhere close to being a NBA caliber player though. Maybe teams think he has that potential in a couple of years. 

He's an extremely flawed player. He can't dribble, can't shoot from outside about 10 feet, and he's not big/strong enough to guard anyone with size at the 4/5 position. He is an athletic freak and has been a workhorse on the boards this year. 

yeah at this point is never going to play in the nba without drastic improvement in several areas. i’d like to see what he could do playing overseas, as he appears like he may have some passing chops, and the game over there is much more team/ball movement oriented. he might really be able to thrive overseas with the different rules and advantages to guys with his rebounding/shot blocking ability, but as of now he has less than zero shot at being an man player with his ima import to dribble and shoot.

I'm actually higher on Mitchell than I was last year. He's displayed more skill over the past 2 games than he had over the previous year and half. He's been a bit more aggressive on the offensive end and he's started to knock down that 15 to 17 ft shot fairly consistently.  When he makes quick decisions, without hesitation, especially off of that fake ball handoff action, he's going to have openings to go strong to the basket. If we can start utilizing his quickness off of that action, especially with how aggressively teams guard Abmas, his passing ability is going to open things up. He seems like the kind of player who is going to improve significantly once he becomes a pro and can completely dedicate himself to improving. Plus you can tell he's a coachable player. Compare his willingness to play within himself to someone like Greg Brown who basically had a similar skillset. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I could not have imagined the meltdown if Hunter would have hit the portal last offseason despite the fact that he’s probably been a below replacement level PG for most of last year and this year. Hopefully this offseason they look to upgrade or Hunter comes back with the understanding that nothing is guaranteed.

One of the first things Terry did was try to get some actual rim protection (a dude above 6’9) on the roster and get more length at guard (Weaver, recruits like Cam Scott and Tre Johnson). Hunter, who stands at 6’0 on a good day, just doesn’t seem to fit where this team is headed.

I like Mitchell. Dude crashes the boards like crazy. And his shot doesn't look that bad to me.  If he was a 4-year player, I think he could be really really good two years from now.  He has improved in every way over the last year.  Over the last 8 games he is shooting 71% from the line.  Last year he shot 41%.  

Also just want to say that this team is starting to show that they can play lockdown defense when they have the right lineup in. Abmas was getting after it today.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Mitchell has improved, but he has really bad hands.  Disu is nowhere near as athletic, but the guy can shoot and pass much better.  And, bigger.  I like Mitchell as a person, but he needs at least another year of seasoning.

You like him as a person? What the fuck does that even mean? You don’t know him lol. Quit drinking.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

You like him as a person? What the fuck does that even mean? You don’t know him lol. Quit drinking.

I'm sure that's hard for your stunted intellect to parse . . . I like the way he comports himself.  Really tough to figure out, ace.

17 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Agree.  I appreciate that he is showing more signs of aggressive play -- Texas needs his rebounding and defense to really improve if they're gonna get into this year's NCAA tournament.

Mitchell needs a lot more improvement to ever see action in the NBA.

16 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm actually higher on Mitchell than I was last year. He's displayed more skill over the past 2 games than he had over the previous year and half. He's been a bit more aggressive on the offensive end and he's started to knock down that 15 to 17 ft shot fairly consistently.  When he makes quick decisions, without hesitation, especially off of that fake ball handoff action, he's going to have openings to go strong to the basket. If we can start utilizing his quickness off of that action, especially with how aggressively teams guard Abmas, his passing ability is going to open things up. He seems like the kind of player who is going to improve significantly once he becomes a pro and can completely dedicate himself to improving. Plus you can tell he's a coachable player. Compare his willingness to play within himself to someone like Greg Brown who basically had a similar skillset. 

Brown has a 10 cent head. DM is a much higher IQ player. He was trusted enough to start the entire season as a true freshman for one of the better teams in program history. 

18 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

He can't separate worth a shit. Either with the ball or without.

Thankfully he doesn't need a lot of separation. 

The thing with Mitchell is I've never seen a lack of effort. So even though Mitchell is a flawed player he can do some things in certain areas and effort has always been there. 

The problem with Hunter is I see a major effort problem at times. Maybe that's just because he isn't very good and it looks like an effort problem. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The thing with Mitchell is I've never seen a lack of effort. So even though Mitchell is a flawed player he can do some things in certain areas and effort has always been there. 

The problem with Hunter is I see a major effort problem at times. Maybe that's just because he isn't very good and it looks like an effort problem. 

Yeah, if you can't tell if a guy is untalented or lazy, that's a problem.

with tyrese hunter there could be a thousand things going on, but i wonder if it’s possible that he has some sort of mental health issue that’s affecting him. the reason it pops into my mind as a possibility is the fact that he hasn’t just been an up and down player, but that he has looked like a completely different person at different times in his career. there were days in the past where he was very aggressive on both ends, making plays on defense, aggressively busting threes, attacking the rim and dunking on guys, etc. now more often than not he’s the quietest, most invisible player ever. you don’t even know he’s out there.

to be clear i’m not hypothesizing that this is his issue, just pointing out a lot of times when someone seems like two completely different people personality wise or performance wise, that things like depression and anxiety (not to mention the medications and what they can do to your hormones and energy levels) are often responsible for this jekyll and hyde act. it’s not that he has his good games and bad games, it’s that throughout his career he has played like two completely different players at different times. of course his injuries and cramping issues could be the more obvious answer, but i do wonder.

Edited by shadow_operative

Just now, shadow_operative said:

with tyrese hunter there could be a thousand things going on, but i wonder if it’s possible that he has some sort of mental health issue going on. the reason it pops into my mind as a possibility is the fact that he hasn’t just been an up and down player, but that he has looked like a completely different person at different times in his career. there were days in the past where he was very aggressive on both ends, making plays on defense, aggressively busting threes, attacking the rim and dunking on guys, etc. now more often he’s the quietest, most invisible player ever. you don’t even know he’s out there.

to be clear i’m not hypothesizing that this is his issue, just pointing out a lot of times when someone seems like two completely different people personality wise or performance wise, that things like depression and anxiety (not to mention the medications and what they can do to your hormones and energy levels) are often responsible for this jekyll and hyde act. it’s not that he has his good games and bad games, it’s that throughout his career he has played like two completely different players at different times.of course his injuries and cramping issues could be the more obvious answer, but i do wonder.

Could be. I've also wondered about his work ethic. 

He has improved his FG% and 3P% this season, to his credit, but his ast/to is basically what it was when he was a freshman and his boards and steals are down since then.

He's a hard player to figure. I hope he figures it out or at least plays to a standard the rest of the season. I don't dislike him he's just beyond frustrating to watch at times. 

The tape is out on Hunter’s limitations/weaknesses and he has not adjusted, which leads to a lack of confidence. 

Streaky shooter, can’t play above the rim etc. He needs to find what his strength is offensively because what got him here no longer works. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

his boards and steals are down since then.

as a freshman he looked like he would be one of the more impactful guards in all of cbb on the defensive end for the following 2-3 seasons. instead he’s regressed since then. it’s very puzzling. guys who show up day 1 with that kind of defense in their bag don’t usually fall off, and never this quickly.

Hunter just lacks composure at times and his handle has always been sketchy. Sometimes he's just seems to be a slight beat off. Like he'll make a really good look, but the pass will be just off or come in too hot. He'll still have his games where he's really impactful we just have to do a better job of maintaining when he's off his game. The addition of Weaver as major contributor will help to weather those moments as we progress during the season. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn