Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

109 right now in Waco.  Forecast looks like we have to make it until next monday before we get back to low to mid 90s.   I'll be dead by Wednesday

Yeah, appears we don't see a high less than 100 until next Monday and then we're looking at 96, 97 and 98 through the middle of next week.

112 at Hewitt Elementary WU station right now down the street from my house.  Luckily my A/C problem was just the capacitor that kicks the compressor on.  $200 fix rather than the bigger one I don't want to deal with today.  

Weather Channel saying we have a 40% chance of overnight thunderstorms tonight.  God I hope so

35 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

Only 100 at the office in Plano right now. Child’s play. 

The blob shifted south, and for the first day of this heat wave, Austin's got the hottest temps in the state (along with the Del Rio area, where it's 'posed to be hot).

Tomorrow temps plunge 10 degrees more frigid.  Wait for it.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Only 98 with clouds at the moment in NE Tarrant County...I may have to put on some long johns.

No kidding.  Driving home from the office right before 3PM my truck was telling me it was 104 (hey, better than the 114 from our parking lot last Friday).  Just now I was putting a few things away in my 107 degree closed garage when I decided to take out the trash.  I opened the garage door, walked out, and WHOOSH! A coolness hit me so refreshing that I literally couldn’t believe it.  I think I had a brief flash-daydream of skiing.

• Haha 1

So we're having rolling blackouts in Hays County, and now an AquaTexas well pump broke.  First we got a boil water notice, but that's kind of pointless, because now we have zero running water.  
Do you have PEC? I haven't seen anything from them about rolling blackouts.

Got some relief today in DFW. Clouds rolled in about 2pm then a front must have passed through because the wind shifted NW and it cooled down to the upper 80's. It tried to rain for a while but it was evaporating before it hit the ground. 

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There are some really bad fires right now in between Killeen and Gatesville.  Almost entirely volunteer FD’s.  Been fighting 3 days.   There is a spot in Pidcoke where they are taking ice.  That’s all they asked for.  If anyone can help get some ice there that’d be great.   They have men and equipment failing and are seriously just asking for ice to help cool the firefighters and the tires on the trucks, etc, down enough to continue operations. 

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

There are some really bad fires right now in between Killeen and Gatesville.  Almost entirely volunteer FD’s.  Been fighting 3 days.   There is a spot in Pidcoke where they are taking ice.  That’s all they asked for.  If anyone can help get some ice there that’d be great.   They have men and equipment failing and are seriously just asking for ice to help cool the firefighters and the tires on the trucks, etc, down enough to continue operations. 

This wind can't be helping.

14 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

This wind can't be helping.

It’s been calm all day but has really kicked up.   I’m working a bunch of lines up here trying to see what we can do, but without a refrigerated truck it’s gonna be hard to get any significant amount of ice 70 miles when it’s still 98 at 9:15.   

51 minutes ago, RPM said:

Ever think of calling the ice company and ordering a pallet? They deliver.

Called several.  A lot are running thin due to the excessive prolonged heat.  Emergency Ice is delivering a full truck straight to the place in the morning on a refrigerated truck.  That’s the main thing.  It was so ho that you couldn’t get much ice there on an hour and 15 minute drive.   The VFD’s also have equipment breaking down and they don’t have funds like a city FD.  Temps in and around the fires are pushing 140-150.   They were literally having to waste water spraying the trucks down because tires and mud flaps were on fire from getting too hot.   Just trying to help some fellow Texans out the same we did during other situations.    Will keep on.  Just gonna get some funds to help them out at this point when the Emergency ice folks get there tomorrow 

5 hours ago, Shmitty said:

I'm severely dehydrated, is it possible to re-hydrate with green tea?  That's the only cold beverage i have available.  

cool( not cold) water is best... but some folks avoid it for some reason.

LOL I felt the "cold" front actually go through this a.m. (accompanied by some showers).  It really qualifies as a decent front because it's going to knock temps down 10 degrees or more.

But when it gets "down" to 101°, I guess it's all kind of relative.

Anyway the heat wave's over, more typical lste July  temps, a few days not even to 100° and.... increasing chances of rain by next week?  Heh yeahright...

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

LOL I felt the "cold" front actually go through this a.m. (accompanied by some showers).  It really qualifies as a decent front because it's going to knock temps down 10 degrees or more.

But when it gets "down" to 101°, I guess it's all kind of relative.

Anyway the heat wave's over, more typical lste July  temps, a few days not even to 100° and.... increasing chances of rain by next week?  Heh yeahright...

Only in Bee Caves evidently.

6 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Real glad that window in my car decided to not roll up anymore

FML

It could be worse, you could have had both decide not to roll down anymore after your AC stopped blowing cold air.  I drove from McKinney to Irving in 109 degrees and was drenched by the time I got there.  

18 hours ago, Shmitty said:

It could be worse, you could have had both decide not to roll down anymore after your AC stopped blowing cold air.  I drove from McKinney to Irving in 109 degrees and was drenched by the time I got there.  

Irving? They probably didn't notice.