Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

Blastfurance appears to have turned off, but we're still a long way away from "cool" weather it seems. 15-day forecast for Houston is right around 88/73 every day with ~50% chance of rain and high humidity.

Found an article from a few years back that crunched 100 years of data and came up with 9/18 as average first day where we record an overnight low of 65 or less. Doesn't look like we'll even get below 70 until close to the end of the month unless an as-yet-undetected front pops up.

We're done with the 100's (give or take an outlier).  Every day that passes, the odds go down pretty well.  By the 15th,, it's less than .01 percent.

But yeah, September is typically a 90's month.  Never was anything else.   Standard days in the 80's typically begin about mid-October.

After all, September is 2/3 a summer month.

Edited by phdhorn

I don't know if this 10-day is full of shit, but are we really not gonna get out of the 90's again for 2018? 

Spank my ass and call me Troy Kimmel.  Kinda anti-climactic how this miserable fucking summer is drawing to a close, but we'll sure as shit take it.

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't know if this 10-day is full of shit, but are we really not gonna get out of the 90's again for 2018? 

Spank my ass and call me Troy Kimmel.  Kinda anti-climactic how this miserable fucking summer is drawing to a close, but we'll sure as shit take it.

Yep, it's like the summer took a long hot piss and then didn't shake itself and dribbled down its own leg at the end. 

The first week of May I loaded my truck and drove to northern California to work for the summer. Kids are grown, wife is a raging pre menopausal bitch, and I couldn't stand the thought of working through another Texas summer.

Turned out to be a damn good call, because the week after I left it was upper 90's and obviously didn't back off until now. But I've had enough wine and goat cheese to last a lifetime and these pansies don't have the first clue how to make bbq or enchiladas.

So can I come home now?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paco said:

The first week of May I loaded my truck and drove to northern California to work for the summer. Kids are grown, wife is a raging pre menopausal bitch, and I couldn't stand the thought of working through another Texas summer.

Turned out to be a damn good call, because the week after I left it was upper 90's and obviously didn't back off until now. But I've had enough wine and goat cheese to last a lifetime and these pansies don't have the first clue how to make bbq or enchiladas.

So can I come home now?

Only if you bring some of that weed you were harversting.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 6:18 PM, Paco said:

So can I come home now?

So, how many fires did you start?

Okay so other than rain during pre-game on Saturday (does that favor us with our paltry run game, or USC?)...and heat index getting to 95 on Tuesday...now are we done with the shitty weather finally?  This cloud cover and decent breeze has helped.  Because 90 and sunny in second half of September is still hot to me.  But hey, we needed the rain.  

Blastfurnace 2018 getting its final gasps in. Jumped in the pool yesterday for what was probably last swim of the season.

Supposed to hit 94 today and tomorrow in Houston before clouds and rain return for foreseeable future. I think that Wednesday might be last day of the year where we see a temperature that starts with a 9. 

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Blastfurnace 2018 getting its final gasps in. Jumped in the pool yesterday for what was probably last swim of the season.

Supposed to hit 94 today and tomorrow in Houston before clouds and rain return for foreseeable future. I think that Wednesday might be last day of the year where we see a temperature that starts with a 9. 

If I had your pool, I might still jump in the upper 80's in early October.  It'd be insane, but I might survive.  

Hope on the horizon?

If we define the “first fall cold front” as a nighttime temperature of 65 degrees or below at Bush Intercontinental Airport, then the average date of Houston’s first front is today, September 18. Alas, we’re not going to make it this year, but there are some hints in the models of a front pushing through before the end of this month (more on that below). That would be a good thing, because based upon Houston’s weather history, we only get into October without a “first front” about once every 10 years. And no one wants that to happen, do they?

A bit warmer, and a maybe a bit drier to start next week. By then we’ll all be desperately searching for that first fall cold front. So when is it coming? For really the first time, both the GFS and European models are pegging the arrival of a cold front perhaps 10 to 12 days from now. That consistency is a good thing. What is not so good is that 10 days lies near the limit of predictability for the global models, so we can’t exactly have high confidence in such a forecast.

Current long-range forecasts for Monday 10/1:

Houston 82/67

Austin 78/65

Dallas 76/62

Glad to hear because it's gonna touch 100 degrees today in Austin with the heat index.  I know some of you have your technical jackets from Patagonia out, but some of us are gonna be a sight uncomfortable.  

On 9/17/2018 at 1:40 PM, Lobo said:

If I had your pool, I might still jump in the upper 80's in early October.  It'd be insane, but I might survive.  

This. I’ll never understand people in Central/South Texas with a pool that don’t use it into October. 

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Glad to hear because it's gonna touch 100 degrees today in Austin with the heat index.  I know some of you have your technical jackets from Patagonia out, but some of us are gonna be a sight uncomfortable.  

Oh look Cruiser brought his tired ass Technical Jacket Joke Series over from Shaggy. 

• Like 1

Fuck, we've had to rethink our family halloween costume idea (and they just arrived in the mail today) because we tried them on and if it's anything over 80---it's gonna be damn balmy inside those penguin things.  

Still in DC, and finally getting back after nearly a month next Thursday.

Should be back about time for the "Winter 2018-19" thread.  First couple of posts will be "Goddammit when is this cold weather going to end?  I can't wait till June and July when it gets warm again!!!!"

11 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Still in DC, and finally getting back after nearly a month next Thursday.

Should be back about time for the "Winter 2018-19" thread.  First couple of posts will be "Goddammit when is this cold weather going to end?  I can't wait till June and July when it gets warm again!!!!"

Doubt you will ever hear that from people in Central Texas, especially me.

Fuck summer.

Micro question:  any particular reason why the humidity this morning was something akin to 3 menopausal sloths rolling around in a bucket of old Thai food?  

Macro question:  is this next system(s) really gonna dump rain on us for the next week+?  Not complaining at all, but that last torrential downpour skipped a few days here and there.  But a great catchup overall in September for a miserably dry summer.  Looks like after this Tuesday, when heat index will still be well into the 90's...it's at least comfy temperatures from here on out, Iet's take it.  

13 hours ago, Lobo said:

Micro question:  any particular reason why the humidity this morning was something akin to 3 menopausal sloths rolling around in a bucket of old Thai food?  

Macro question:  is this next system(s) really gonna dump rain on us for the next week+?  Not complaining at all, but that last torrential downpour skipped a few days here and there.  But a great catchup overall in September for a miserably dry summer.  Looks like after this Tuesday, when heat index will still be well into the 90's...it's at least comfy temperatures from here on out, Iet's take it.  

More rain, less goldbond.  I don't think my taint can take any more menthol burn.  

On 9/19/2018 at 4:11 PM, Storm the Field said:

Latest updates have that cool front arriving late next Thursday. Forecast for next weekend is looking mighty fine as of today. Highs in the mid to upper 70's, lows around 60.

And right on cue, the rug is already getting pulled out. Next weekend looking like more of the same, balmy with scattered showers.

If we get a cool front, doesn't look like it will show up until first week of October and won't be near as dramatic as early models suggested.