Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

15 hours ago, phdhorn said:

About 2 more days of hot, then another scenario like last week; high moves west into the Mojave region, and the Gulf opens up w/humid air.  Weak front sinks down Tues or so and gives us better chance of rain, though at this point not like last week.

But temps should sink 5 or 6 degrees into the high 90's.

By that time it'll be August 20's, which traditionally leaves about 2 more weeks of 100° potential.    Officially August 20 is the last average day of 100°+.  Of course some years (like following Rita in 2005), we had 109° in early September, of course helped by Rita sweeping huge masses of hot Mexican desert air over us (we being on its SW side).  That was something like Sept. 24-25.  Also, Austin's 2nd hottest ever recorded day was in early September,  2005 (111.2°, which really is pretty much the same day as its alltime hottest day, 112° in 2000).  But those are pretty rare.

I'd say give it another 2 weeks, and then we're done, with maybe an outlier after.  The earth simply gets too far in its solar orbit past the point where it absorbs that much direct sunlight, causing the heat.

When the all time heat record was set in 2000, I was a senior in high school. We were on the practice field in full pads when it hit 112. The coaches would line us up and hose us down every 30 minutes. It sounds weird to say but we didn’t think much of it at the time. We were thinking about the next game, drinking beer, and which girls would do anal. 

Hey PHD.  Quick question.

What would be the local (Texas) effect of the AMO switching to negative?  All the articles I've read speaks of the cooler weather it'll bring to the UK, hotter weather in Africa, and drought in the US Midwest; however, I can't find anything as it relates to this part of the country.

11 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

When the all time heat record was set in 2000, I was a senior in high school. We were on the practice field in full pads when it hit 112. The coaches would line us up and hose us down every 30 minutes. It sounds weird to say but we didn’t think much of it at the time. We were thinking about the next game, drinking beer, and which girls would do anal. 

If the coaches were hosing you down and you were discussing anal, I’d say you were thinking about it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the coaches were hosing you down and you were discussing anal, I’d say you were thinking about it.

Or the heat was messing with him to the point where he was confusing the genders of the recipients in his masturbatory fantasies.  

Smoking some ribs. The black metal smoker holds at about 160 with no fire at all in it. Makes it hard to peg it at 250 - have a fire that’s barely burning, and have the vents almost closed, including the stack.

Also, upstairs ac decided to crap out yesterday. Why? Because it’s a Saturday, and a service call is an extra $140, of course. Found out ABC is running a special of waiving the weekend fee, so have them out there now. We think it was an electrical/circuitry failure, as our power went out at the same time. No idea if we got a surge and that killed the ac, or whether the ac fritzed, surged, and killed our power. Whatever the case, it’s 91 on the main floor of our house, and I still don’t know what this is gonna cost me. We slept downstairs in the ac last night, can do it again tonight if need be. Would be FUCKING BETTER IF THE AIR TEMP WASNT 102.

Waited till 11:30am (yeah, I know) to dig out a gate post that snapped off at ground level during Irma, prior to spreading 3cuyds of pea rock.   The sun was baking and I dug out the 6"x6"x4' section  & 250#s of concrete dangling on the bottom end.   Finished up around 2:30pm -ish.... Clothes literally dripping with sweat.  I was waiting for Mr Sir to stop by and check my work.

Took a cold shower and drank 2 gallons of ice water prior to taking a piss...  only 89*F / 75% humidity and the S. Florida sun.

On 8/18/2018 at 9:30 AM, phdhorn said:

About 2 more days of hot, then another scenario like last week; high moves west into the Mojave region, and the Gulf opens up w/humid air.  Weak front sinks down Tues or so and gives us better chance of rain, though at this point not like last week.

But temps should sink 5 or 6 degrees into the high 90's.

Lies. 

On 8/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, Brisketexan said:

Smoking some ribs. The black metal smoker holds at about 160 with no fire at all in it. Makes it hard to peg it at 250 - have a fire that’s barely burning, and have the vents almost closed, including the stack.

I've grilled fish the last couple of evenings.  I put about half as much charcoal in as I usually do, and the grill still got too hot.

I've grilled fish the last couple of evenings.  I put about half as much charcoal in as I usually do, and the grill still got too hot.

Well, it turned out to be even trickier. The external heat was jacking up my thermometer (just a standard in-lid dial). So my internal temp actually WASN’T as hot as the dial showed. So I didn’t get enough cooking heat, took longer to get meat up to temp than I expected based on the dial and experience. Tricky AF.

I saw another guy downtown Austin, middle of the day.  Wearing one of those fleece vests that every white douchebag in an office job wears most of the year.  BUt he was wearing it today.  Without irony, walking with purpose, to a regular office building to do regular shit.  This happened today.  What the fuck is with you people?  You own patagonia gear, we get it.  But why today?  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I saw another guy downtown Austin, middle of the day.  Wearing one of those fleece vests that every white douchebag in an office job wears most of the year.  BUt he was wearing it today.  Without irony, walking with purpose, to a regular office building to do regular shit.  This happened today.  What the fuck is with you people?  You own patagonia gear, we get it.  But why today?  

Same reason hipster idiots wear knit stocking hats and flannel shirts in this weather.

Because they're fucking idiots.

Yep, and you can smell them through the internet
Wool is better than cotton for odors fwiw. The protein in the wool fiber is antimicrobial, which is why it's so popular with backpackers and fitness people. Also the core of a wool fiber is hydrophilic, while the exterior is not, so it absorbs sweat and pulls it from your skin simultaneously. Wool really isn't bad for the heat so long as it's not heavy. I have wool t shirts I wear regularly in the heat.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, triplelonghorn said:

Wool is better than cotton for odors fwiw. The protein in the wool fiber is antimicrobial, which is why it's so popular with backpackers and fitness people. Also the core of a wool fiber is hydrophilic, while the exterior is not, so it absorbs sweat and pulls it from your skin simultaneously. Wool really isn't bad for the heat so long as it's not heavy. I have wool t shirts I wear regularly in the heat.

UnequaledDistantIbex-size_restricted.gif

• Like 5