Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

Doesn't look like we'll get that sweet cold front they were chatting up last week, but at least caught something almost resembling a puny "cooler" front yesterday and today. Actually managed to walk around downtown Houston yesterday before Stros game without getting drenched in sweat and even sat outside for pre-game drinks. Unfortunately, it seems it was just a cruel tease as we look set for a  return to Central-American rainforest climate for the rest of the week. 

Still not a single day with a temperature in the 60's on the 15-day forecast all the way out to October 8th. We're basically looking at 2 straight weeks of temps in the high 80's and scattered showers. That's some bullshit right there.

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Doesn't look like we'll get that sweet cold front they were chatting up last week, but at least caught something almost resembling a puny "cooler" front yesterday and today. Actually managed to walk around downtown Houston yesterday before Stros game without getting drenched in sweat and even sat outside for pre-game drinks. Unfortunately, it seems it was just a cruel tease as we look set for a  return to Central-American rainforest climate for the rest of the week. 

Still not a single day with a temperature in the 60's on the 15-day forecast all the way out to October 8th. We're basically looking at 2 straight weeks of temps in the high 80's and scattered showers. That's some bullshit right there.

I'll take a week or so of low 80s. Just walked back to my office in an ever-so-slight breeze, and it felt downright cool-ish outside. Tomorrow's gonna suck shit though.

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

swear i saw a low in the 60s and a high in the 70s when i looked at the 10 day late on wednesday.  someone must've talked and jinxed it.

I'm loving the rain and the "cooler" temps, but I don't think the skeeters have ever been as bad as they are at my house right now. Walk outside for 2 minutes and you'll get bit by about 5 mosquitoes. We are going through a bottle of bug spray every couple of days. I hate those little bastards.
My backyard is out of control. I've never seen anything like it.

Now several days next week looking to still be in the 90's and humid as shit.  Wonderful.

Bright side is Saturday in Dallas (according to those really long-term forecast sights) is looking pleasant, mid 70's, though increasing chances of rain as the day goes on; 

but we should be done by 2:30p with the Final Solution to the Sooner Question.

Edited by Lobo

52 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Now several days next week looking to still be in the 90's and humid as shit.  Wonderful.

Bright side is Saturday in Dallas (according to those really long-term forecast sights) is looking pleasant, mid 70's, though increasing chances of rain as the day goes on; 

but we should be done by 2:30p with the Final Solution to the Sooner Question.

Everything I'm seeing says mid 80s all next week.

After a prolonged period of wet weather, the Houston region will see a moderate reprieve as we break from a pattern of widespread, daily rainfall. (Showers aren’t going away entirely, however). It is during this break that we will look for the region’s first real fall cold front. We’re overdue, now—way overdue. As you may recall, we’ve made the arbitrary decision to define this front as the first night after September 1 with an overnight low temperature of 65 degrees or lower at Bush Intercontinental Airport.

The average date for this first front is Sept. 18—two weeks ago—but there is a wide range of variability. For example, it is not unheard of for the first front to arrive in October. It happens about once every 10 years, on average. However, it is rare to get too deep into October without a cold front, and the latest Houston has waited since at least 1889 is October 13th. I’m afraid we’re in danger of setting this record this year.

Per the ensembles of the GFS and European forecast models, the region’s first cold front is unlikely to arrive in Houston this year any time before a time period between Oct. 11 and Oct. 15—nine or 10 days from now. Ughhhhhh.

https://spacecityweather.com/houston-may-break-a-record-this-year-for-latest-strong-cold-front/

Nearly another week of upper 80's/"lows" in the mid-70's, with extremely high humidity.  Grateful for the rain, but this is bullshit.  This is not Autumn.  Should be fishing weather and watching football in something other than shorts and dehydration.  The planet needs a break from this shit, even if some Texans don't.  

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Nearly another week of upper 80's/"lows" in the mid-70's, with extremely high humidity.  Grateful for the rain, but this is bullshit.  This is not Autumn.  Should be fishing weather and watching football in something other than shorts and dehydration.  The planet needs a break from this shit, even if some Texans don't.  

Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad. 

The only shitty thing about the weather is the mosquitoes. Can’t wait for the first hard freeze, and the warm up after that. It will be glorious. 

Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad. 
The only shitty thing about the weather is the mosquitoes. Can’t wait for the first hard freeze, and the warm up after that. It will be glorious. 

The only shitty thing about this weather is the sustained unseasonably high temperatures, impossibly high humidity, and unprecedented number of mosquitoes, and lack of anything resembling fall in the 10-day. But other than that...
  • Like 2

On 9/26/2018 at 9:41 PM, bluto said:

Reckon we can retire this thread, we survived another year (Sitting on back porch with fire pit going in FtWorth)

Why did you screw us all?   100 degree heat index inbound today and tomorrow with fire ant-esque mosquitoes attacking 

21 hours ago, hornian said:

Yeah, what kind of weirdo doesn't love when Autumn starts with day after day of highs in the high 80's, lows that are 10-15 degrees above average, and daily rain showers and extreme humidity that keep everything wet for weeks on end.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Yeah, what kind of weirdo doesn't love when Autumn starts with day after day of highs in the high 80's, lows that are 10-15 degrees above average, and daily rain showers and extreme humidity that keep everything wet for weeks on end.

Never complain about the rain. Aggressively complain about all the things that come with the rain. 

I just got three bites sitting inside the Hilton downtown.  I'm a good 30+ yards from the nearest exit door and they still fucking found me through my socks.  

But I'll gladly take the inconvenience so long as hornian is nice and toasty warm. 

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Dog was lounging on the deck with at least a dozen mosquitos attached to her. Thank God for heartworm meds.

I'm pretty sure that's how they're getting into my house. Dog goes outside. Mosquitoes attach to dog. Dog comes inside and mosquitoes get a free ride.

On a related note, if you don't have one of those electric shock paddle bug zapper things to swat flies and mosquitoes inside, you need to get one on amazon right now. There's nothing more satisfying than watching a mosquitoes life explode in a violent electric shock. 

Here is a little light at the end of the tunnel for y'all stressing about the heat.  This is from a professional meteorologist that posts on a Houston weather forum:

Folks fretting over cool/cold weather on October 2nd need not worry too much. Cold/wintry weather is looking more and more likely as we get closer and closer to Thanksgiving and then December 1st. Some of the analogs I am inspecting as a possibility suggest we may see frequent bouts of cold and wintry mischief as Winter gets underway. Patience.