Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

33 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The thing is we used to get a few cool days in September and a lot of cool days in October but now it is pretty much fucking summer until November.

I'm getting used to the three weeks between Summer and Summer.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 10:46 AM, Telegraph_it said:

I am going to Jacskon Hole in a week. Thank you sweet baby Jesus. This is not a humble brag, just a brag. 

I have forgotten what a dew point under 70 feels like. 

I was there 2 weeks ago for a week.  It was nice.

i let the dog and have to set a timer. old fucker is cooking himself

goddammit. i have time today to do shit and not a fucking thing to do other than drink beer at the pool, which is cool, and i am good at that, but dammit man. be nice to go for a walk or something

1 hour ago, staboner said:

i let the dog and have to set a timer. old fucker is cooking himself

goddammit. i have time today to do shit and not a fucking thing to do other than drink beer at the pool, which is cool, and i am good at that, but dammit man. be nice to go for a walk or something

How many beers have you had? I'm guessing several. 

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

solar-flare-2-27-11-lg.gif

Today is the anniversary of the hottest day ever recorded in Austin, 112°, August 28, 2011.

Actually, we get to celebrate it again next week!  Because it ties the record, also set September 5, 2000!  Can't beat that.  Hey look, it's hot in late August!

This year going down as #3 hottest summer, won't get close to the first two.  Plus we had a lot of good rain in May and July, so it hasn't been as brutal as 2011, when we had like 3 inches in about 5 months.  It was already bone-dry in April that year, and only got worse.

Anyway, as posted 2 weeks ago, we are turning the corner and temps look to ease down below 100°, starting after this weekend.  Earth is getting along in its orbit and the sun's rays are going to become more angled and indirect.  Result:  temps go down.  Might have a few 100's left for a week or so due to the ground storing up so much heat (and it being dry), but it's going to change.

Until then, enjoy the lovely weather!

(going up to D.C. for most of the next month... won't be here to experience glorious late late summer coolness and lovely rainy days).

• Like 1

I remember the summer of 2011 very well. Late in the summer, despair started setting its claws on me. You know, random thoughts such as “dying wouldn’t be so bad”. I would wait until 11 PM to walk the dog, and it was still fucking hot. That summer killed a large tree on my front yard that I liked a lot. It also destroyed several houses in my neighborhood.

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I remember the summer of 2011 very well. Late in the summer, despair started setting its claws on me. You know, random thoughts such as “dying wouldn’t be so bad”. I would wait until 11 PM to walk the dog, and it was still fucking hot. That summer killed a large tree on my front yard that I liked a lot. It also destroyed several houses in my neighborhood.

We didn't lose a tree in 2011 (although we lost some blackjack oaks in the greenbelt behind us).  This year, we lost an old mountain laurel.  Made my wife sad.

Seriously though, how many more weeks of this bullshit?  I know you fucking tough guy Texans only consider days over 100 to be hot, but I consider anything over 90 to be insane.  So how much more of that?  3 weeks?  I can do that.  6 weeks?  I'm calling bullshit.  

45 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

This year going down as #3 hottest summer, won't get close to the first two.  Plus we had a lot of good rain in May and July, so it hasn't been as brutal as 2011, when we had like 3 inches in about 5 months.  It was already bone-dry in April that year, and only got worse.

Just 90 miles north we've only received 9.61" on the year with the average being 22" for today's date. The paper is claiming that's an all time low for us.

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Seriously though, how many more weeks of this bullshit?  I know you fucking tough guy Texans only consider days over 100 to be hot, but I consider anything over 90 to be insane.  So how much more of that?  3 weeks?  I can do that.  6 weeks?  I'm calling bullshit.  

Over 90? That'll be a while. The average high is above 90 until September 15th and there will be plenty of days after that in the 90s.

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You'll be able to sit in a deer stand on Oct 1 for bow season in shorts and flops.  

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

You'll be able to sit in a deer stand on Oct 1 for bow season in shorts and flops.  

Thank god, 'cause that's a sport!  

I don't know what's been happening to Central Texas, but we're having to actively plot our family halloween costume around "what won't make Daddy and daughter pass out from heat exhaustion?"  That's not a great way to approach such a fun day.  

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Thank god, 'cause that's a sport!  

I don't know what's been happening to Central Texas, but we're having to actively plot our family halloween costume around "what won't make Daddy and daughter pass out from heat exhaustion?"  That's not a great way to approach such a fun day.  

was it last halloween or the year before, we had to come back to the house for the kids to put on their thick winter jackets.  

Here, feast on this while I'm on the road, first winter weather advisory of the season. It's snowed in the northern U.S. Rockies.  And one model forecast a very cold winter.

Yes, it's the Rockies, but enjoy these hundred degree days, they'll be over soon.

_____________________________________&

Article

First Winter Weather Advisories of the Season Issued for the Lower 48 as Snow Blankets Northern Rockies

Published: | weather.com

Aug 27 2018 10:00 PM

August is ending with a taste of winter weather in the northern Rockies as snow blankets the highest elevations.

Winter weather advisories have been issued by the National Weather Service for parts of the Rockies of Montana and Wyoming, where the NWS said a few inches of wet snow is possible into early Tuesday above 6,000 feet in elevation.

These are the first winter weather advisories to be issued by the NWS anywhere in the Lower 48 for the upcoming snow season. Early June was the last time a winter weather advisory was issued in the Lower 48 as a late-season weather system brought snow to the West.

NWS said higher elevations of the Beartooth Highway, one route connecting southwestern Montana to Yellowstone National Park, could have hazardous travel conditions and may have closures at times.

An inch of snow was measured Monday morning in grassy areas at Logan Pass in Montana's Glacier National Park.

Accumulating snow is expected in the highest peaks of northwestern Wyoming, southwestern Montana and adjacent portions of Idaho.

Snow is not uncommon in the higher elevations of the northern Rockies in late August. In fact, snow coated a few spots in the northern Rockies at the beginning of this past July, illustrating that flakes can occasionally fly through the air at any time during the summer months in the high country of this region.

Snow can also occur in valley locations during the tail end of August. Great Falls, Montana, saw its earliest snow on Aug. 22, 1992, the same year its only below-freezing temperatures were recorded in August.

Southward plunges of the jet stream moving over the region this time of year can allow just enough cold air and moisture to intermingle and produce accumulating snow. That's the type of weather pattern we are seeing early this week.

This plunge of the jet stream is also helping to scour out wildfire smoke that has been plaguing the Northwest recently.

57 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

was it last halloween or the year before, we had to come back to the house for the kids to put on their thick winter jackets.  

I think it was two years ago that it did rain substantially (thankfully not until about 9p), and  it did drop about ten degrees.  But I cannot remember being chilly in the last 10 Halloween’s or so.  Also, how did this quote time travel thing happen?

Edited by Lobo

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think it was two years ago that it did rain substantially (thankfully not until about 9p), and  it did drop about ten degrees.  But I cannot remember being chilly in the last 10 Halloween’s or so.  Also, how did this quote time travel thing happen?

yeah last year, apparently it was 54 and raining at 6pm last halloween.  

24 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

In 2014 we had a cold snap - I remember because I was hunting that weekend.  I looked it up and on Nov. 1 that year there was a low of 38 and a high of 54.  Definitely coat weather if you were outside all evening.

As my kids were complaining about the heat this summer, i was about to give the ole "Dad can't remember complaining once about the heat as a boy." speech.

then it dawned on me, my kids have experienced two or three hottest summers ever recorded in Austin. I got off light growing up.

oh and 2011....

Image result for that sucked animated gif

I used to not mind the heat all that much, but I feel like once I hit my 30's, I started to tolerate it less and less each passing year and now summer weather starts pissing me off by late July.

Just got back from a week-long vacation in Ireland where it was in the 50s and 60s the whole trip. Landed in Houston around 7:00 p.m. last Wednesday and a blast of 95 hit me in the face upon walking out to the parking shuttle. That shit ain't cool. I could handle it a lot better if it was hot during the day but at least cooled down at night, but when it's still 83 at midnight, no thanks. 

I've never really considered leaving Texas permanently and will probably be in Houston the next 25+ years, but my wife's best friend lives in Aspen and we go visit for 4 or 5 days every summer, and it always gets me thinking. Another friend of mine has a condo there and moves up for pretty much all of May-October before coming back. I doubt we could afford to live and work remotely for 1/3 of the year like that, but maybe 6 weeks or so when its topping out at 100 here might be nice. A guy can dream right?

Edited by Storm the Field

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

I used to not mind the heat all that much, but I feel like once I hit my 30's, I can tolerate it less and less each passing year and now summer weather starts pissing me off by late July.

This is exactly me.  Growing up in Austin, it was a badge of honor or something to have the summers be brutal and that was when I was out in it all day, every day.  Once I hit 30 or so, fuck that.  I would move tomorrow if my wife didn't have her career nailed down here.

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Okay.  I was blending "two years ago and last year."  Shit happens when you're dealing with a 2-year old at halloween.  I do remember our little block party and food truck thing getting cut short, but not until right at dusk.  Obviously was raining in other parts of Austin.  But we didn't get the brunt of it until about 8:00p or so, maybe a hint earlier.  How fucked up is that though that we remember a Halloween in the 50's and all the ones in the 90's just fucking blend together?  Don't get me wrong, love the slutty costumes.  But when you have kids and help host the neighborhood shindig, your biggest worry should be fun and fright, not kids passing out from heat exhaustion.  But here we are.  Top 4 of the 5 hottest summers in recorded history all in the last 17 years.  

4 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Over 90? That'll be a while. The average high is above 90 until September 15th and there will be plenty of days after that in the 90s.

Funny thing is, a good swath of Oklahoma (mostly Central/East has had their rainiest summer - ever.

Yeah it's Oklahoma and sucks and all, but the Trinity Aquifer starts up there and hopefully some of that water will make it down to my well in Western Travis.

21 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Good as place as any for this...

So suddenly Accuweather Channel pops up on my DirectTVNow lineup, like The Weather Channel more or less.  Ho-hum.
Except for this gal named Brittany Boyer.  She is on the blastfurnace side of hot.

Sterling_AccuWeather.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=5831277

Funny thing is, a good swath of Oklahoma (mostly Central/East has had their rainiest summer - ever.

Yeah it's Oklahoma and sucks and all, but the Trinity Aquifer starts up there and hopefully some of that water will make it down to my well in Western Travis.
My hometown in NE Oklahoma has had a very mild summer. Highs in the mid to upper 70's some days.

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Another friend of mine has a condo there and moves up for pretty much all of May-October before coming back. I doubt we could afford to live and work remotely for 1/3 of the year like that, but maybe 6 weeks or so when its topping out at 100 here might be nice. A guy can dream right?

Right there with you. Eyeballing downsizing here and getting a second place somewhere in the Rockies.

24 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

My hometown in NE Oklahoma has had a very mild summer. Highs in the mid to upper 70's some days.

Was tension running high in ‘65?