Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

Right there with you. Eyeballing downsizing here and getting a second place somewhere in the Rockies.
I'm with y'all as well

Don't want to spend the winter up there but the summers are great. Lots of swimming is the only thing that helps me survive summer now.

Farmer's Almanac offering some hope for this winter?

Brace yourself, Texas: Farmer's Almanac warns that a brutal winter awaits

A beastly cold season is on the way this winter, the Farmer's Almanac predicts, with "stinging cold" weather expected in Texas and exceptionally frosty conditions forecast from the Continental Divide east through the Appalachians.

The 2019 edition of the venerable publication calls for "teeth-chattering" cold with an arctic cold front delivering above-average snowfall and lower-than-normal temperatures after the new year, especially in the Great Lakes and Midwest regions and parts of New England.

"Our time-tested, long-range formula is pointing toward a very long, cold, and snow-filled winter," said Farmer's Almanac editor Peter Geiger.

The annual publication relies on a century-old mathematical and astronomical formula for its long-range weather outlooks, reputed for their accuracy.

The brunt of the winter freeze is expected to hit in mid-February, mostly bedeviling the country's Northeast, Great Lakes, Ohio Valley, Midwest and Southeast regions.

The cold front, the forecast says, will bring "blustery and bitter winds," plunging temps and wide-ranging squalls and snow showers, with stormy, wintry conditions lingering along the East Coast even through spring's official start.

"Mid-March could be stormy virtually coast to coast," the almanac said. "In particular, we are red-flagging March 20-23 for a potent East Coast storm that could deliver a wide variety of wintry precipitation just as we are making the transition from winter to spring. So, no matter what the groundhog says in February, you'll know winter isn't going anywhere anytime soon."

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

We like to look at houses for sale in cooler climates. Montana, Maine, Virginia. It ain’t happening unless my company somehow lets me work remote. But I’m too old for this 50 days of 100 degree shit. 

My house is getting listed this week in Wyoming. You might enjoy the 0.5% property tax rate.  Makes it easy to own a second home here, where today’s high is 76. 

I gotta get my technical jacket outta storage for this.  Could get brutal.  I mean my Patagonia is more comfortable and everything but it just doesn't take care of my field needs like my NorthFace.  Somebody has to roll in our bins tonight.  

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

With the heat index, it's 10 degrees hotter here in DC than it is back in Austin.  That shit ain't right.  

Yeah, no, I don’t think so. Right now Austin feels like: 90. DC: 88. Close, but no.

22 hours ago, Okie State said:

I drank a lot of beers today. Feels pretty good outside right now. May be all the beers talking.

I must have had about 20 in between dove hunts yesterday.   Even the birds thought it was too hot to eat and then drink.  

And yes, the beer was tasty. 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, phdhorn said:

About 2 more days of hot, then another scenario like last week; high moves west into the Mojave region, and the Gulf opens up w/humid air.  Weak front sinks down Tues or so and gives us better chance of rain, though at this point not like last week.

But temps should sink 5 or 6 degrees into the high 90's.

By that time it'll be August 20's, which traditionally leaves about 2 more weeks of 100° potential.    Officially August 20 is the last average day of 100°+.  Of course some years (like following Rita in 2005), we had 109° in early September, of course helped by Rita sweeping huge masses of hot Mexican desert air over us (we being on its SW side).  That was something like Sept. 24-25.  Also, Austin's 2nd hottest ever recorded day was in early September,  2005 (111.2°, which really is pretty much the same day as its alltime hottest day, 112° in 2000).  But those are pretty rare.

I'd say give it another 2 weeks, and then we're done, with maybe an outlier after.  The earth simply gets too far in its solar orbit past the point where it absorbs that much direct sunlight, causing the heat.

I'm in DC for most of the month, but I think you're there now, referring to the excerpt above.  Any 100's from here on out will be outliers. Earth is too far along to absorb max direct sunlight & retain as much heat.

Edited by phdhorn