Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

Meh, anything remotely resembling a "blast furnace" was over about September 5.  Everything else is just uncomfortable.  But not a "blast furnace."  90 degree heat indexes are not "blast furnaces."
Mean avg. temps in Sept. and Oct. have been way, way under norms.  Even the "heat wave" of the past 2-3 days is only 3 degrees above the norm.  Yawn.

Thread shoulda been closed a month ago replaced by "uncomfortable weather I don't like" thread.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Here is a little light at the end of the tunnel for y'all stressing about the heat.  This is from a professional meteorologist that posts on a Houston weather forum:

Folks fretting over cool/cold weather on October 2nd need not worry too much. Cold/wintry weather is looking more and more likely as we get closer and closer to Thanksgiving and then December 1st. Some of the analogs I am inspecting as a possibility suggest we may see frequent bouts of cold and wintry mischief as Winter gets underway. Patience.

i don't want cold/wintery weather. I want Fall weather! The weather right now is bullshit.

• Like 1

Pro-Tip.  If you're like me and have a couple of mid-life HVAC's that need some TLC...this continued hot weather (particularly at night when it's still a real-feel outside of about 85 when I go to bed) and insane moisture (thankful for the rain though) levels...you're gonna wanna flush out your condensation lines with some vinegar.  They've been working hard for you for 5 months and the algae buildup in those things this late in the season because of all this humidity is brutal.  Your units will freeze up on you (again, this is for not brand-spanking new models) and conk out in the middle of the night.  Flush them through with a vinegar solution.  Check your drain pans in the attic as well to see if there's any overflow of moisture as the algae squeeze it back out the top.  I usually do it around late June after a couple months of warm weather and rain.  But the back-loading of all this heavy rain and moisture in September plus me wanting to run it liberally at night, and I had to do it again this week.  Running nicely now, but usually in October, I'm making sure the furnace is ready for duty, not trying to squeeze out another month of work from the AC.   /csb that will save you a few hundred bucks proactively

Pro-Tip.  If you're like me and have a couple of mid-life HVAC's that need some TLC...this continued hot weather (particularly at night when it's still a real-feel outside of about 85 when I go to bed) and insane moisture (thankful for the rain though) levels...you're gonna wanna flush out your condensation lines with some vinegar.  They've been working hard for you for 5 months and the algae buildup in those things this late in the season because of all this humidity is brutal.  Your units will freeze up on you (again, this is for not brand-spanking new models) and conk out in the middle of the night.  Flush them through with a vinegar solution.  Check your drain pans in the attic as well to see if there's any overflow of moisture as the algae squeeze it back out the top.  I usually do it around late June after a couple months of warm weather and rain.  But the back-loading of all this heavy rain and moisture in September plus me wanting to run it liberally at night, and I had to do it again this week.  Running nicely now, but usually in October, I'm making sure the furnace is ready for duty, not trying to squeeze out another month of work from the AC.   /csb that will save you a few hundred bucks proactively
I pour bleach a couple of times a year. Is vinegar better?

I'll do bleach every 2-3 years.  Most Texans don't bother with this step at all (the vinegar in your condenser lines), but this year I did it twice because of how long the humidity has lasted.  The algae buildup was just crazy-pants.  So because I did it twice, I did vinegar solution both times (a little more strong than usual as well).  I'll probably do vinegar again next Spring.  And then, barring a crazy summer 2019, I'll do bleach after that.  

Me too.  But another pro tip:  use the chalk powder at the local gymnasium even if the gymnastics parents look at you in disgust.  At least I demonstrate coordination while applying it.  

On 10/5/2018 at 9:53 AM, Storm the Field said:

Was worried that the rug was gonna get yanked out from under us again, but, mercifully, it looks like we're gonna get a nice little cool front mid-week after all.

Should hit the mid 60's by Wednesday evening or Thursday morning, depending on where you are in the state. Thursday-Saturday shaping up about as well as you could hope. Much drier, sunnier, and 10+ degrees cooler than we've been seeing lately.

The models show a 2nd, stronger front arriving at the end of the weekend that has Austin and Houston seeing lows in the mid 50's, Dallas getting down to high 40's Monday and Tuesday!

I'm sure we'll experience a few stretches of warmer-than-usual weather in the near future, but for the most part, we shouldn't be seeing anything beyond the high 80's for the rest of the year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CycleTex87 said:

Sitting at a project site in Wyoming watching it snow.  Winter sucks.  Especially when the temp is hovering around 30-33 deg. F with rain/snow.  Looking forward to being back in snug, warm Houston.

Wish I could trade with you.  I freakin' love cold and snow.

• Like 1

The KXAN seven day forecast looked so insane to me, we had to photograph it.  90 and humid on Sunday and Monday a “high” of 46 and 90% of rain.  When you see Those two panels next to each other, we’re gonna cover four seasons in 24 hours.  I don’t even know what to drink anymore.  

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

The KXAN seven day forecast looked so insane to me, we had to photograph it.  90 and humid on Sunday and Monday a “high” of 46 and 90% of rain.  When you see Those two panels next to each other, we’re gonna cover four seasons in 24 hours.  I don’t even know what to drink anymore.  

All.  Drink it All (not the stainlifter of course) 

Some of you guys hunting this weekend are goddamn troopers.  Your tenacity in the face of this brutal Autumnal onslaught.  god bless.  I hope you bring back those that didn't make it.  

I can't wait to fish this next week with my daughter.  She's 3 years old and I know we won't have to worry about sharing the shoreline with most Texans since Yeti coolers and Columbia sportshirts require cash, but not balls.  

On 10/4/2018 at 2:16 PM, Storm the Field said:

93 with 54% relative humidity when I went out for lunch today. That's a heat index of just under 102, so you'll just have to pardon me for feeling like the blastfurnace thread is still relevant.

You're pardoned.  But it hasn't been since early September.  It just morphed into "it isn't 78° and perfect weather, so it sucks."