Favorite foods to eat/cook for game day

Longboard Horn

Have done a brisket a time or two, once a Prudhomme dark gumbo, smoked sausages, Frito Pie several times, Bob Armstrong Dip several times, and CoCola Salad (one of your Texas congealed salads with cherry Coke, Cherry Jello, a little pineapple, cream cheese, and some pecans.  It looks like a dog's breakfast, but the crew likes it.),  Even did Rotel/Velveeta queso once or twice in a rush.  These are all for game-watching at various homes up here---tailgating being a bit remote.

I love this thread.

I have an Orion cooker and it can’t be beat for the time to volume prospect (and portability). It’s not anywhere close to as good as my BGE but for making pulled pork sandwiches for a bunch of drunks it’s ideal. Two 8 lb butts done in 4 hours. 6 racks of pork ribs done in 75 mins.

For something different: I bought a small deep fryer and have produced a few hits. Wings (super simple), deep fried Oreos in pancake batter, and reuben egg rolls.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread.  Cooking a couple of racks of baby backs.  Going to hit them with some cooked down peach/habanero jelly for some homemade rib candy.  Pinto beans in the instant pot.  Leftovers during the game with some jap/cheese sausage.

• Like 1

I have a short list of alternatives: smoked  brisket and sausage, Bob Armstrong dip, Gumbo (Paul Prudhomme recipe), simple queso, Bean dip (seasoned black beans, cream cheese, jalapeños), CoCola salad (my Mom's recipe for a congealed salad-cherry coke, cherry jello, canned cherries and pineapple, cream cheese, and pecans), Jambalaya (PP recipe), Frito pie, migas (mornings), homemade egg nog (Bowl games).  There are regular game-watching parties up here and I like to cook.

On 10/5/2018 at 10:29 PM, Reagan1k said:

Chicken fried backstrap sliders using homemade biscuits-  topped with cream gravy .....brunch-ish for an 11am game-

replace gravy with a diced candied jalapeño smear for later in the day. 

That sounds damn good, is that this year’s blackstrap? Lost a bunch of venison this summer to a GFI plug in the garage. Hope to have some fresh maybe next week.

No - We have a seemingly never ending supply due to our management program.   We're hammering our frozen venison right now that was processed in Jan and Feb - trying to clear space for what's coming this month and next.  Like a revolving door......

Like I said - take candied jalapenos with the syrup... dice them up and use them like jam as a spread on any fried meat, including fried chicken or pork chops.  Winner. 

On 10/5/2018 at 6:45 PM, dcbc said:

Reviving this thread.  Cooking a couple of racks of baby backs.  Going to hit them with some cooked down peach/habanero jelly for some homemade rib candy.  Pinto beans in the instant pot.  Leftovers during the game with some jap/cheese sausage.

Thank you for reviving this thread. Pos rep coming your way when I can give it again.

• Like 1