Wildfire 2024 Thread

atomheartbevo

https://tfswildfires.com/public/

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/texas-smokehouse-creek-fire-02-27-24/index.html

The Smokehouse Creek Fire has burned 500,000 acres since igniting Monday afternoon, making it the second-largest wildfire on record in Texas, according to the Texas A&M Forest Service.  It remains completely uncontained and is likely to grow further. 

The largest wildfire was the East Amarillo Complex fire in 2006, which consumed more than 900,000 acres, according to Texas A&M.

GHZ3a7DXkAAb0mk?format=jpg&name=large

GHZzKvTWcAAmdlE?format=jpg&name=large

GHatxq-WcAAxQf2?format=jpg&name=small

I am so depressed about this. It’s heartbreaking 💔 to see places just destroyed like that and people evacuating. I’m not ashamed of growing up in the Panhandle. For a long time I thought even about moving back. I’d rather live in New Mexico but it’s still heart wrenching nonetheless. 

Hoping for a reprieve from Mother Nature 🌬️ 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Would the Texas Guard concentrated on the Rio Grande normally be used to help with emergencies like this?

I wonder if they'll redeploy.

Tell the governor what's happening up in the Panhandle is "un fuego de los carteles," and they'll get right on it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

My dad told me the air smells like Bbq and is making him hungry. They’re in Amarillo and safe but several family friends in the Borger/ Stinnett area lost everything. Sucks. 

No snow really this year, just wind like always. The summer was crazy wet though. What I remember about growing up in the panhandle is good looking women, panhandle style Mexican food, and wild ass weather. 

• Hook 'Em 4

This is the definition of “all hands on deck.” I’m grateful for all those departments sending firefighters. Not enough thanks here. There is no hope of containing this shit without help from Mother Nature. Praying the snow chances will become a reality…soon. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I grew up watching all these channels…in Amarillo. They had a fire near 207 close to Claude near my family’s ranch but that fire was put out fairly quickly. 

anyway I grew up watching all these news stations like @Rimbo this is just heartbreaking no? These people affected are mostly farmers and ranchers. 

• Rage+1 1

I get how wildfires work but this one, I guess 'cause we're watching it closer than most, seemed to have come on faster and larger than most in recent memory.  Our local firehouse which is just a couple hundred yards from my home sent a couple of guys to go help out already.  I imagine it's gonna be all hands on deck.  gonna get way worse before it gets better.  All credit to former State Senator from that area Kel Seliger for marshaling resources from the State/Gov/NG to the area, hope he gets what he asks for.  

Fucking fuck, this thing got massive in a big hurry.  It's an empty gesture for us to go up there and stand around and I can't take the time away from work and the kids, but how can help?  After the literal ashes cool, at the Spring Game Taigate, we could have the proceeds/donations go to folks affected by this because I know we've many posters from/living/kin in that area.  And it's getting bigger.  Just one pro tip, let's not call it 'Burnt Ends'

• Hook 'Em 3

Maybe they'll wake up and realize climate change is real.

It's not just disasters that are more frequent. It's that they happen in places where they're not happening before.

SoCal gets fires every year. It's actually part of the natural ecosystem; certain plants depend on the fires to spread their seeds. It's still dangerous, but our services are more or less prepared to deal with them.

But when the city had flash floods last month? People died simply because nobody ever thought you shouldn't build homes in the valleys because it never flooded there. And they actually called a Tornado Warning, I shit you not, because they saw winds whirling around on radar at a whopping 35mph. Had no idea what do do with it. Nobody saw a twister, and even if they had, 35 mph isn't even EF0. In Amarillo, that's Tuesday.

Hope they can bring this shit under control.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yup, looking like this will be the largest wildfire in this states history, by far

So far.    

I know quite a few people out in that area.  Most of them are in Amarillo proper but a few are north near Dumas and Borger.   All of them are spooked right now.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Hell on earth…damnit…this shit just breaks my heart. If you’ve been around the Panhandle at all most of the people in these towns are fairly poor good folks. Yes there are wealthy ranchers but mainly we are talking about just devastating losses these communities may not recover from. Fuck…

• Rage+1 4

Here are the locations, size and containment of the fires as of 12:30 p.m. CT Wednesday:

Smokehouse Creek Fire:Hutchinson County, 500,000 acres, 0% containment

Windy Deuce Fire: Moore County, 90,000 acres, 25% containment

Grape Vine Creek Fire: Gray County, 30,000 acres, 60% containment

687 Reamer Fire: Hutchinson Country, 2,000 acres, 10% containment

Magenta Fire: Oldham County, 2,000 acres, 40% containment

There were three wildfires that were reported to be 100% contained:

North CIG Fire: Moore County, 4,012 acres, as of Feb. 27 at 9:22 p.m. CT

Juliet Pass Fire: Armstrong County, 2,963 acres, as of Feb. 26 at 1:56 p.m. CT

Haulk Hand and Catch Fire:Randall County, 3 acres, as of Feb. 26 at 2:05 p.m. CT

Edited by Nicole44

47 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Yep. Cattle aren’t afraid of fire. 

Yep.  I have had to put one out on a grass fire in a pasture.  I have had to basically push some out of harms way with the pumper of our brush truck before.  They love to roll in freshly burned grass.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I still have folks up in Pampa and Borger. Made the drive between them too many times to count. I know fire is part of the deal there but they just had a bad one within the last decade. This is so bad. 

Great people up there so hate to see them going through this ordeal. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I don’t know if y’all are the praying sort or do a rain dance or light candles or whatever you do but we need this forecast to happen tomorrow/overnight:

They need this. Badly. It will help the firefighters contain this shit because the wind isn’t going to help out. 

• Hook 'Em 3