Wildfire 2024 Thread

atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I get how wildfires work but this one, I guess 'cause we're watching it closer than most, seemed to have come on faster and larger than most in recent memory.  Our local firehouse which is just a couple hundred yards from my home sent a couple of guys to go help out already.  I imagine it's gonna be all hands on deck.  gonna get way worse before it gets better.  All credit to former State Senator from that area Kel Seliger for marshaling resources from the State/Gov/NG to the area, hope he gets what he asks for.  

Fucking fuck, this thing got massive in a big hurry.  It's an empty gesture for us to go up there and stand around and I can't take the time away from work and the kids, but how can help?  After the literal ashes cool, at the Spring Game Taigate, we could have the proceeds/donations go to folks affected by this because I know we've many posters from/living/kin in that area.  And it's getting bigger.  Just one pro tip, let's not call it 'Burnt Ends'

Most wildfires are like that.  When conditions are bad, and they are often bad these days (all 10 of Colorado's biggest wildfires in history are in the last 22 years), you can go from "Oh, there's a 50 acre wildfire 10 miles away" to "OH FUCK JUMP IN THE CAR WE NEED TO EVACUATE ASAP" in a couple of hours.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

The prairie and brush in that area will come back pretty damn quick.  I used to lease Buster Welch's ranch in between Snyder and Rotan.  We had a bad fire that burned several thousand acres in 2011.  It came back quick.

With a normal amount of rain (big if), the grass should be back in a year, two tops. Then in a natural ecosystem it would burn again in 5-20 or so years. But naturally occurring burns would not be so wide spread-- they would be more "patchy".  We have traded frequent but small burns for infrequent but large burns. Not good for ecosystems, or ranches, or people. 

Mix in climate change (fucked up rain patterns, overall hotter temps on average) and shit is even more fucked. 

I know this probably won't be a popular opinion, so please don't neg stomp me, but they should just let that shit burn. Because its going to burn eventually, and the more time that passes before it burns, the hotter/more ecologically destructive the burning will be. 

(Of course, they should do everything they can to protect people, homes, barns, livestock, etc). 

• Hook 'Em 3

900,000 acres puts it as the #4 size wildfire by acres burned in U.S. history.  Am guessing it has a strong chance to pass #2, the 2020 August Complex fire in CA that burned 1,032,648 acres.  #1 is the 1825 Miramichi Fire that burned 3 million acres.

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

With a normal amount of rain (big if), the grass should be back in a year, two tops. Then in a natural ecosystem it would burn again in 5-20 or so years. But naturally occurring burns would not be so wide spread-- they would be more "patchy".  We have traded frequent but small burns for infrequent but large burns. Not good for ecosystems, or ranches, or people. 

Mix in climate change (fucked up rain patterns, overall hotter temps on average) and shit is even more fucked. 

I know this probably won't be a popular opinion, so please don't neg stomp me, but they should just let that shit burn. Because its going to burn eventually, and the more time that passes before it burns, the hotter/more ecologically destructive the burning will be. 

(Of course, they should do everything they can to protect people, homes, barns, livestock, etc). 

They can't just let THIS fire burn, it's too big, mean, and destructive.  You have to contain it if possible.

Now, they should probably look at being more aggressive about controlled burns in the panhandle going forward, but that's a separate path.

53 minutes ago, Goredho said:

900,000 acres puts it as the #4 size wildfire by acres burned in U.S. history.  Am guessing it has a strong chance to pass #2, the 2020 August Complex fire in CA that burned 1,032,648 acres.  #1 is the 1825 Miramichi Fire that burned 3 million acres.

I would never have guessed that the largest forest fire in North America was in northern New Brunswick almost 200 years ago.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They can't just let THIS fire burn, it's too big, mean, and destructive.  You have to contain it if possible.

Now, they should probably look at being more aggressive about controlled burns in the panhandle going forward, but that's a separate path.

Agree. One issue is the western Federal fire air fleet is not ready right now. Buddy is a flight mechanic. Said his chopper is in pieces getting ready for their season in Utah/California.

They need all assets they can get. What is the forecast?

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

All my experience with wildfire is here in Colorado.  The usual strategy they use here for a big fire is to try to make hard lines to protect humans and homes, but to go ahead and let the fire spread freely up the mountains assuming there is no population between the fire and the top.  It kind of races up the mountain to the tree line, then there's nothing left to burn and it dies.  A lot of that depends on weather conditions.

Given the completely different geography of the panhandle, I don't know how that strategy changes.  I will say, there aren't enough fire fighters in the world to make a perimeter around a 900,000 acre forest fire.  I am guessing they are going to want to pick places to burn to try to direct it back into its own burn path where it can't burn forward into an already scorched land.  Like that Tron light cycle game.

• Hook 'Em 3

Hemphill, TX is not in Hemphill County, Texas.  In fact they are about 585 miles apart.

Come on news people...

Edited by slorch

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Most of the people in the US don’t even know what the Panhandle is. Shit, people in Texas don’t even know what the Panhandle is. Most people don’t know the Panhandle has the nation’s second largest canyon in Palo Duro canyon. Humble brag picture of my family’s ranch below—view from the front porch. And I understand controlled burns but it’s windy there. Windy all the fucking time. Like we are used to 20-35 mph winds and many times double that. The wind is a huge factor. We have mostly mesquite trees and prairie grass and fucking tumbleweeds. 

One of my good friends is helping to organize places for people to bring their livestock and other animals. The thing is this could shift any time with the fucking winds. And be like a raging inferno. If I have something to post on how people can assist I will do that (vetting what I post already.) 

the Palo Duro Canyon is beautiful and a treasure. I shudder to think if the fire goes in the canyon. It’s scary. It’s mainly short grass and brush/bushes. It’s not a ton of overgrown shit. 

IMG_2949.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

IMG_2883.jpeg

And most do not realize these fires are in the " Canadian River breaks" land north and south of said breaks is the flat prairie...but where the fires are it is hills and canyons and very rough country which makes it hard for the firefighters 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

And most do not realize these fires are in the " Canadian River breaks" land north and south of said breaks is the flat prairie...but where the fires are it is hills and canyons and very rough country which makes it hard for the firefighters 

This as well. The terrain is so different from what people imagine. It’s a mix of things. Canyons and ridges and hills and cactus and prairie grass and mesquite. It’s just different. And yes, it makes a challenge for firefighters. The wind is just lighting fuse after fuse. We have to have the rain/snow that they said was possible. It likely won’t hit many of the areas needed but it will absolutely help.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

This as well. The terrain is so different from what people imagine. It’s a mix of things. Canyons and ridges and hills and cactus and prairie grass and mesquite. It’s just different. And yes, it makes a challenge for firefighters. The wind is just lighting fuse after fuse. We have to have the rain/snow that they said was possible. It likely won’t hit many of the areas needed but it will absolutely help.

I watched one of Amarillo's local weather guys, and it doesn't look good for that part of the Panhandle. He said the best chances for precipitation were in the south-western portions of the viewing area, so toward Clovis and Hereford.

I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My cousin's ranch land was totally burned. Yes, it will come back. But in the meantime, the cattle up there need food. So send your extra hay. Especially if you don't want meat prices to go up even more.

Edited by used2b
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Maybe they'll wake up and realize climate change is real.

It's not just disasters that are more frequent. It's that they happen in places where they're not happening before.

SoCal gets fires every year. It's actually part of the natural ecosystem; certain plants depend on the fires to spread their seeds. It's still dangerous, but our services are more or less prepared to deal with them.

But when the city had flash floods last month? People died simply because nobody ever thought you shouldn't build homes in the valleys because it never flooded there. And they actually called a Tornado Warning, I shit you not, because they saw winds whirling around on radar at a whopping 35mph. Had no idea what do do with it. Nobody saw a twister, and even if they had, 35 mph isn't even EF0. In Amarillo, that's Tuesday.

Hope they can bring this shit under control.

I get what you are saying, but flooding in southern Cali has happened every 10-25 years historically.  Many have created inland seas.  Atmospheric rivers are particularly common in El Niño years.

Hell, look up the great flood of 1861.  We don’t want a repeat of that 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

This is true.  Twitter the past couple of days has been massively confused over "Canadian fires" references, but in Texas.

Also, the Canadian River Breaks area is one of my favorite vistas anywhere.  On our trips to NM and CO, that drive up 87 out of Amarillo or the Tascosa Road near Boys Ranch just hits different after hours of flat pastureland.

Very true. I've been making that drive about once a year for the last 30 since my sister lives in Denver, and she's the traditional Thanksgiving host. It's one of those significant markers of progress having been achieved. A lot of Texans likely associate Amarillo with Lubbock, much like they do Midland/Odessa, thinking they're all generic "West Texas" cities. But each region, the Permian Basin, the South Plains, and the Panhandle, has its own distinct history, culture, and landscape. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Was going to head up to Palo Duro late march for some down time. Guess it is more important now than ever 

Heading through there for the solar eclipse. Will end up in Cisco. Hoping to spend some time in the Palo Duro region and visit Charles Goodnight’s grave. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

My radar feed is showing it doing some work on the fire near Fritch. 

Screenshot_20240229_082104_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e71395d7289385dfb027f8cb32e6e867.jpg

This is fabulous news because every little bit helps. Praying for some rain in the next week. It’s just so depressing. On my family’s ranch we don’t use any pesticides or anything so we have a lot of the red ants and horned toads (which are rapidly disappearing from our landscape.) so I am hopeful this snow helps at least contain the Fritch one. The Smokehouse Creek one is just another matter. Damn. 

The boys assigned to chase hotspots have been repositioned to make a push on the fire line. If the wind behaves and the snow continues there could be a drastic increase in containment by the end of the day. This is the same scenario that helped extinguish the Marshall fire between Boulder and Denver a couple years ago.

Edit for clarity: gonna need a lot more snow for it to have much effect, but it’s a start.

• Hook 'Em 5

17 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

61da0c37-5d37-40ff-b32d-d404b76cf131_tex

• Haha 1