2024 State of the Union, 8p central, 3/7

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

this.  She's had some great roles over the last 20 years.  But we've all seen dozens are far better actors just fail spectacularly in live/sketch/improv/etc.  Doesn't mean they can't act, just means it's not their medium.  Likewise, there's hilarious and talented cast members that leave the show to pursue movies/TV and either fail or just fade into obscurity.  We've seen some of the funniest standups of our era go on the show and bomb and others absolutely crush a grand slam, even though they're all funny in their bones.  There's been musical guests who turned out to be hilarious and others that were just awkward as fuck even though they perform for live audiences for a living.  I knew Scarlett had talent, but what I'm giving her big rep for is how quickly the turnaround on the performance.  Other than a few last-minute W/U jokes on Friday night due to news happening Friday morning (we know nothing big ever gets announced by the media on Friday afternoon for obvious reasons)...Friday afternoon/evening is really just about punching up and production edits to the taped sketches and then wardrobe/makeup/hair logistics.  

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I guess if you are Britt you can take some solace that while yes, everybody is making fun of your truly dreadful, hamfisted performance, including a show that has a historic almost 50-year history of making fun of people, in making fun of you they chose somebody as good-looking as ScarJo to do it.  

If you’re Britt though, you grew up surrounded by social media and are extremely connected, and unlike the boomers who can miss a shitload of stuff, she’s seeing all of the mocking of her speech.

Here's the thing about Britt... it went exactly as they planned it. The parodies, the mocking libs, even the shocked right-wing pundits... none of that matters. Her job was never to convince Americans that Biden was wrong, or that the GOP is right. Her job was simply to reinforce what MAGA Republicans already believe. She did that. The scared white woman... check. The shaky voice... check. Being in the kitchen like a good traditional wife... check. Telling a story that's bullshit... who cares?

Think what you want, but she did what they wanted her to do.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Here's the thing about Britt... it went exactly as they planned it. The parodies, the mocking libs, even the shocked right-wing pundits... none of that matters. Her job was never to convince Americans that Biden was wrong, or that the GOP is right. Her job was simply to reinforce what MAGA Republicans already believe. She did that. The scared white woman... check. The shaky voice... check. Being in the kitchen like a good traditional wife... check. Telling a story that's bullshit... who cares?

That doesn't seem like a very good plan if you want to win the states you lost in 2020.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you’re Britt though, you grew up surrounded by social media and are extremely connected, and unlike the boomers who can miss a shitload of stuff, she’s seeing all of the mocking of her speech.

She's a vapid, closet celebrity-obsessed narcissistic like the rest of them. She's loving the attention and whatever tiny chance that she had of being embarrassed by the ridicule went out the window when she saw ScarJo playing her, reenforcing in her mind that she's a 10.

• Like 1

That doesn't seem like a very good plan if you want to win the states you lost in 2020.
Based on the primaries (in Texas especially) and the immigration bill that got squashed, I'm guessing they don't feel the need to gain more seats, just push the seats they already have more to the right.

13 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Yeah, never underestimate the intelligent, calculating, forethought that Republicans put into the bullshit they spew on a daily basis...

Yeah, never underestimate the intelligent, calculating, forethought that Republicans put into the bullshit they spew on a daily basis...
I never said it was smart, I said it would work.
Smart people are not the intended audience.

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Toss in abortion, but keep in mind that her speech and performance were probably choreographed by a bunch of old white dudes.  In their eyes, she did fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, tchookem said:

No it really backfired 

What happened in our Texas primary, is the best possible way of picking up votes for an effort to flip the State House. If enough rural Texas voters are pissed about the school voucher votes and have started making their one, two, three hour trips for hospital care there is absolutely a coalition of city Dems and rural republicans who can get issues like public school funding and rural hospitals across the finish line while the consultants work on “BoRdeR iSSuEs” and can maintain a majority. No telling the suburb support.

Rural healthcare and school districts are the only jobs keeping some of these spaces alive. A conservative Republican poster here has already said this issue has given him major pause thinking of not abstaining from voting but voting for a Dem.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

She's a vapid, closet celebrity-obsessed narcissistic like the rest of them. She's loving the attention and whatever tiny chance that she had of being embarrassed by the ridicule went out the window when she saw ScarJo playing her, reenforcing in her mind that she's a 10.

So she was doing her best Ivanka impression in hopes of being selected as Trump’s running mate. 

42 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

What happened in our Texas primary, is the best possible way of picking up votes for an effort to flip the State House. If enough rural Texas voters are pissed about the school voucher votes and have started making their one, two, three hour trips for hospital care there is absolutely a coalition of city Dems and rural republicans who can get issues like public school funding and rural hospitals across the finish line while the consultants work on “BoRdeR iSSuEs” and can maintain a majority. No telling the suburb support.

Rural healthcare and school districts are the only jobs keeping some of these spaces alive. A conservative Republican poster here has already said this issue has given him major pause thinking of not abstaining from voting but voting for a Dem.

I can tell you've never been to Texas. You should come down to visit. Lovely weather this time of year.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, bluto said:

With trump at the top you think rural R will vote d… shit man 

We don’t need them to vote D at President, we need them vote for a state rep they have probably met in person. Trump on the Presidential ballot has been a bigger boon to Democrats in the state than Republicans.

my dad is an obnoxious Republican and has never voted for his state R house rep cause of one interaction he had with her. That is going to be the most local race you can think of on the ballot in November. Republicans killed school vouchers not Dems.

Edited by StassneyHorn

We don’t need them to vote D at President, we need them vote for a state rep they have probably met in person. Trump on the Presidential ballot has been a bigger boon to Democrats in the state than Republicans.
my dad is an obnoxious Republican and has never voted for his state R house rep cause of one interaction he had with her. That is going to be the most local race you can think of on the ballot in November. Republicans killed school vouchers not Dems.

And they got primaried for it. I hope what you are saying will happen happens, but nothing so far has made me believe it can. Those rural voters had a choice on Tuesday and they chose to move farther right.

Back to my original point, Britt's response to SOTU was made with the sole purpose of telling them they made the right choice.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

wait...i thought Paxton and Abbott managed to primary and upset a good number of supposed 'reasonable' republican incumbents in Texas, thus ensuring an even further lurch to the right?? and aren't Abbott's recent approval ratings in like the 60s or something?

admittedly i'm not paying that much attention. because i escaped already lol.

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

100% this. 

All anyone in that camp is thinking is they were pretty enough to have a Hollywood 10 pass as her without any modification. They see it as flattering satire, at worst.

wait...i thought Paxton and Abbott managed to primary and upset a good number of supposed 'reasonable' republican incumbents in Texas, thus ensuring an even further lurch to the right?? and aren't Abbott's recent approval ratings in like the 60s or something?

admittedly i'm not paying that much attention. because i escaped already lol.

No need to gloat.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

7 hours ago, bluto said:

With trump at the top you think rural R will vote d… shit man 

Yep.  There's no fucking way the rurals prioritize the education and health of their kids over their fealty to Trump.  

Not Happening Ufc 211 GIF by UFC

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s not like she’d been on SNL a dozen times before or anything.

Oh wait, she was. 

I'm not surprised. She's an A-list celebrity with a career spanning three decades. That's very different from being tapped on three days' notice and absolutely nailing a cold open.

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep.  There's no fucking way the rurals prioritize the education and health of their kids over their fealty to Trump.  

Not Happening Ufc 211 GIF by UFC

Correct.   

Act 1: "He's my king, my God, he will save me!  Mostly by being a dick to other people!"

Act 2: "Why is the leopard eating MY face?"

It's a short play.  We all know how it goes.  Except, apparently the dumbasses who for some reason think that a face-eating leopard will refrain from eating their faces for....reasons.  Idiots.

18 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Stassneyhorn is right on this.   In my county they are already normalized to have to drive at least an hour to find healthcare.    But the voucher fight hits a lot of folks hard in the pocketbook at one time.  That tied together with the failure to invest in public schools at a minimum, while loading more and more security issues on them.    We have a retired math teacher and current school board member running for the state house seat, and our strategy is to talk to retired teachers and administrators, let them help us spread the word.     While they might not care about improving the quality of education, if it starts to eat into their athletics budget, or teachers/staff start losing jobs, then yeah, they will care.  

We might not flip any seats, but I would bet they get the idea about vouchers and if we can start reining them in on that one issue, we have a chance at others.    

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:35 PM, David Dennison said:

This along with publicly telling Haley's followers to fuck off tells me he's going all in on cheating again.  I mean as long as he's still allowed to roam freely, this is what he does, who he is.  It's why he's been married multiple times, filed bankruptcy multiple times, called governors, fake electors and led a march (from his car) to overthrow an election, etc.   

I wonder if rather than change the ballots, they can get voting rolls and cast duplicates so that they sow discord and then try and seize power or at least get Dem counties strategically tossed.  Just trying to see how they're going to cheat this time, because they're definitely going to cheat.  It's the Republican brand, and definitely Trump's.