Patrick vs Collier

dark54555

Is it just me or is this race getting very little attention? Numbers show it’s as close as Cruz vs Beto, but unlike that race, I have yet to see a single sign for either in Dallas. And Collier is possibly the most moderate Democrat on the ballot (he could practically run as a moderate Republican).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick only got 73% in his primary against nobody in particular.  That's a huge warning sign, and an indication that there are a lot of Republicans who are very dissatisfied with him.

This is where Lupe Valdez may, in a perverse way, actually help the Democrats by being such a terrible candidate.  Abbott is tremendously popular among Republicans.  And, as we know, Republicans are the majority in Texas.  If Republicans show up because they need to protect Abbott, then Democrats up and down the ballot will suffer.

But there are a lot of Republicans dissatisfied with Patrick and Paxton, judging from their primary results.  And if some Republicans think "Abbott's going to win comfortably"--and he is--then maybe they also think "there's no need for me to show up to vote, because I couldn't give two shits about the likes of Cruz, Patrick, and Paxton."  And if you have a significant number of such Republicans--and I think you will--things become very interesting in a few of these races.

I'm by no means a campaign expert, but at this point the Republicans running in 2018 elections in Texas are making themselves easy targets for a coordinated advertising campaign by Democrats calling them all cowards. Avoiding debates, not defending wives and fathers against slanderous attacks, etc.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I'm by no means a campaign expert, but at this point the Republicans running in 2018 elections in Texas are making themselves easy targets for a coordinated advertising campaign by Democrats calling them all cowards. Avoiding debates, not defending wives and fathers against slanderous attacks, etc.

Mere coincidence that these are also among the worst candidates that the Texas Republican Party has ever found? Or direct correlation?

On 7/24/2018 at 2:34 PM, Huckleberry said:

knowing Texans like I do, I would think that the "coward" message might just resonate.  And I guarantee that Beto will say "pussy" instead of "coward", and the shoe fits. 

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

knowing Texans like I do, I would think that the "coward" message might just resonate.  And I guarantee that Beto will say "pussy" instead of "coward", and the shoe fits. 

You guarantee that Beto is going to call Cruz pussy in an ad?  Not sure I agree with your police work there Lou

I said it a million times. If one of the other GOP dudes wanted to beat Trump in the 2016 primary all they had to do was knock over his podium live at a debate and establish dominance. The lizard brain GOP base would have accepted the new alpha immediately.

Beto's problem is that he would get hoots and cheers from assholes like me, but a lot of his base (many women, especially) wouldn't like it.

• Like 1

I haven’t read anything in this thread but I will say that Dan Patrick is malformed yankee talk show host and conservative carpetbagger looking for easy marks (a la Cruz) that looks like a lesbian and can get fucked in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I haven’t read anything in this thread but I will say that Dan Patrick is malformed yankee talk show host and conservative carpetbagger looking for easy marks (a la Cruz) that looks like a lesbian and can get fucked in my opinion.

i'm becoming increasingly hostile towards our state level republican party. it's weird, i used to be their wheelhouse voter, now i cannot wait to vote against them, in the democrat column. normally, i would abstain or vote in the L column. not any longer. i feel like my world is upside down.

i'm becoming increasingly hostile towards our state level republican party. it's weird, i used to be their wheelhouse voter, now i cannot wait to vote against them, in the democrat column. normally, i would abstain or vote in the L column. not any longer. i feel like my world is upside down.

Pretty much this. Dan Patrick and Ted Cruz being the two biggest douches of the bunch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 9:08 AM, hayden_horn said:

Just made a tldr post in the Beto thread about how this came to fruition for me. Went from Republican to writing (small) checks to democrats. 

On 8/13/2018 at 8:00 PM, David Dennison said:

Dan Patrick might be the worst human being to ever hold office in this state, and that's saying something.

He's the only one I've ever seen that literally declared open war on critical thinking. That's not rhetoric, that's a literal fact.

• Like 1

My dad is a complete trumpkin, been in the Republican Party his whole life and he completely hates both Patrick and Paxton and would never vote for either of them.

I thought I had  him voting for Beto but I think Fox News and radio has now moved him into the neutral not voting category on that one. Not giving up yet but it is what it is. 

Take that for whatever its worth.

48 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

What a fucking spineless twat our sitting Lt. Gov is. It's like that's a requirement to be in statewide office these days. Fucking embarrassing.

RE: OP's "moderate Republican comment," this guy comes from the well known breeding ground of liberalism that is partnership at a big four accounting firm and was a Republican until five years ago or something. Dan Goeb's opponent won 25 percent of the vote in the GOP primary and immediately endorsed Collier afterwards. His numbers lagged far behind Abbott's and even Cruz's. There are obviously a lot of R's that feel the same way are ready to see him take his bullshit back to the radio. I hope they turn out. If they do, and Collier picks up votes from the Beto crowd, he too could actually pull it off despite a far lower profile than the Senate contest.

Just goes to show how the state GOP has gone off the deep end. I don't think it was ever truly reflective of the state's population, but with the current climate getting more folks off the sidelines, it is finally manifesting itself with close races.

• 2 weeks later...

same. I happily voted for W and thought he was a great governor, all things considered.  Hell, I liked him so much I voted for him for president once.

Right now its hard for me to see a scenario in which I'd ever vote for a Republican again.

2 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

same. I happily voted for W and thought he was a great governor, all things considered.  Hell, I liked him so much I voted for him for president once.

Right now its hard for me to see a scenario in which I'd ever vote for a Republican again.

Me three.  Seriously, I voted in GOP primaries and participated in GOP precinct conventions several times.  Now, it's hard to imagine supporting this incarnation of the GOP for anything, in any race.  It needs to suffer humiliating defeats in order to have some chance of coming to its senses.  So, that's what we gotta do.

Wait.  Is this asshole really going to debate fucking Geraldo Rivera instead of his opponent?
The Dan Goeb decision making flowchart always leads to the dumbest, most spineless bitch move possible. So yes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...