We get the Winner: UVA and Colorado State - 8:10pm on truTV

38 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

just saw the score and i mean holy hell, wtf Virginia

how bad do you have to be to be held under 52 points and lose in your first game of the big dance

haha.  but we did score 52.

One thing that plays on our favor over Colorado st is they are not a great 3 pointing shooting team. Which probably means they will double their normal production. The last 5 games they’ve only hit 5-7 a game so at least they are not coming in as some prolific shooting mid major. 

5 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

If we don't win Thursday, we will be feeling like we just lost to Abilene Christian!

Not really.  7 vs 10 is a toss-up game most years.  Losing as a 3 to a 14 was just fucking infuriating. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Do you think CSU flew back to Colorado last night/early this morning and then to Charlotte later tonight?  Or straight from Dayton to Charlotte?  We need every fucking edge we can get.

10 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I have a friend that coaches basketball that used to like watching a Bennett coached team. Tonight he watched the game and said that their program is a complete fraud and Bennett needs to be shown the exit for that embarrassing performance.

their title winning team was actually semi-fun to watch.  at least during their tournament run.  such an outlier from everything else they've ever been under Bennett.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Do you think CSU flew back to Colorado last night/early this morning and then to Charlotte later tonight?  Or straight from Dayton to Charlotte?  We need every fucking edge we can get.

I’d think straight to Charlotte 

24 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Is this your C-face?

It’s my you better win Rodney face 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well y'all may not be believers, but Obama thinks we win this first round matchup.   Which would mean RT would have as many NCAAT wins in his 1.75 seasons thanTexas had in the previous 14.25 years of Beard/Shaka/Barnes.

RT - 4 NCAA wins at Texas in 1.75 seasons
Beard - 1 NCAA win at Texas in 1.25 season
Shaka - 0 NCAA wins at Texas in 6 seasons
Barnes - 3 NCAA wins in his final 7 seasons

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Post game their coach said they had a 1:30 am flight to Charlotte. 

1 minute ago, pops said:

Post game their coach said they had a 1:30 am flight to Charlotte. 

csb/ we had to fly out of Charlotte (my father and I) after visiting my grandparents in Asheville at about 1:30am.  Because Hurricane Hugo was coming and they restacked all their flights and we spent a few hours in a hotel in Charlotte after the connecting flight landed and hauled ass outta there.  I was an hour or so late to school and my father explained what had happened with the weather and the late flights and I remember the office lady looking at my dad like he was insane (runs in the family) because the story sounded so strange, nobody knew how bad that hurricane really was until it was all over.  

Speaking of Hurricanes, let's make up for that Miami stumble last tourney and beat the shit outta CSU and Tennessee this weekend.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.jpeg.3e369dd26aee8ea206b81b72d09191fb.jpeg

My only other Charlotte airport story.  Was flying to DC for work.  Pilot announces instead of DC, due to a plane issue-we are beginning descent for Charlotte and will be put on another plane to continue on to DC (scares the shit outta me obviously).  Obviously you can tell by the attire, I was rolling with a fancy crew.  So they didn't even have a gate or jetway for us.  Woman in blue sweatpants, if you can see her right hand.  We're waiting around for them to open up some doors so we can get up into the terminal and we grab our bags off the ramp luggage conveyor  deal by hand.  Down the way, you can see that jet fuel truck.  Well the guy fumbles with it and it actually starts leaking fuel (puncture or something, I can't remember this is like 10 years ago).  You could smell that shit like a ton of bricks in your nostrils.  So what does this broad do?  Lights up a fucking Marlboro Light 100.  I was alway worry about air travel, but  I never stopped to think I might die on the tarmac because she thought she was playing the slot machines in Reno.  I was never so thankful to be inside an airport in my life as when the co-pilot smacked the cig out of her hand and let us inside.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

If you win in Dayton, the NCAA flies (or busses) you straight to your next round.

There was talk a few years ago of doing what the women do and just have the teams in the First Four play at the site they would be going to if they won, but the NCAA likes the historical nature of Dayton (and Dayton likes the money it brings in so they fought for it) so they kept it there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If you win in Dayton, the NCAA flies (or busses) you straight to your next round.

There was talk a few years ago of doing what the women do and just have the teams in the First Four play at the site they would be going to if they won, but the NCAA likes the historical nature of Dayton (and Dayton likes the money it brings in so they fought for it) so they kept it there. 

Csb/ I've been on a couple of the nacaa charters (not forst 4, but first round) and they are pretty trippy. Both times we boarded in the cargo area of the airport with a couple tsa guards just kind of looking at everyone. Completely white plane with only a tail number. It's like we were going to area 51 or some shit /csb

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I’d think straight to Charlotte 

It’s my you better win Rodney face 

Dude is better than Beard who didn't even make the tournament..why the concern?

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

My only other Charlotte airport story.  Was flying to DC for work.  Pilot announces instead of DC, due to a plane issue-we are beginning descent for Charlotte and will be put on another plane to continue on to DC (scares the shit outta me obviously).  Obviously you can tell by the attire, I was rolling with a fancy crew.  So they didn't even have a gate or jetway for us.  Woman in blue sweatpants, if you can see her right hand.  We're waiting around for them to open up some doors so we can get up into the terminal and we grab our bags off the ramp luggage conveyor  deal by hand.  Down the way, you can see that jet fuel truck.  Well the guy fumbles with it and it actually starts leaking fuel (puncture or something, I can't remember this is like 10 years ago).  You could smell that shit like a ton of bricks in your nostrils.  So what does this broad do?  Lights up a fucking Marlboro Light 100.  I was alway worry about air travel, but  I never stopped to think I might die on the tarmac because she thought she was playing the slot machines in Reno.  I was never so thankful to be inside an airport in my life as when the co-pilot smacked the cig out of her hand and let us inside.  

This was a major plot point in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We forget that Beard had a similar style to Bennett at Tech (and to a lesser degree at Texas).  Incredible defense and extremely slow pace, boring but efficient offense.  If he got to 50 points, good chance they were going to win.  And if they were ever up by 10 points, it was game over. 

But... his offense could be really painful to watch at times.  I personally liked Beard because he wins AND because I really like watching a smothering team defense.  I enjoyed the Virginia vs. Tech national title game quite a bit, but it got a lot of negative press prior to the game predicting it would be a slow, difficult watch.

10 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Thank you.  I will laugh at this real-life/fiction connection the next time I'm nervous on an airplane/airport apron.  

Doubly appropriate since if she had continued walking that way and smoked that cigarette a little longer, her face would have ended up like the guys who open the Ark at the end of the film.  

32 minutes ago, HookEm said:

We forget that Beard had a similar style to Bennett at Tech (and to a lesser degree at Texas).  Incredible defense and extremely slow pace, boring but efficient offense.  If he got to 50 points, good chance they were going to win.  And if they were ever up by 10 points, it was game over. 

But... his offense could be really painful to watch at times.  I personally liked Beard because he wins AND because I really like watching a smothering team defense.  I enjoyed the Virginia vs. Tech national title game quite a bit, but it got a lot of negative press prior to the game predicting it would be a slow, difficult watch.

It ended up being one of the most watched title games IIRC. I don't and never did like Beard's style of motion offense, and Bennett's movers & blockers is even worse, in my opinion. The deficiencies of both can be mostly overcome by elite guard play, which that Tech team had and Virginia had to a slightly greater degree.

I thought BBallBreakdown's video on their upset loss to UMBC detailed pretty well why this offense is shit and I can't imagine it's gotten anything but worse when you consider the changes in spacing in subsequent years. As far as I can tell, he's still running the same movers & blockers shit as he always has, minor adjustments here and there notwithstanding.

• Hook 'Em 2

while not good in the tourney the last 4 years obviously, at least he has an identity and is elite on one side of the ball.

of course, if he now can't recruit to it(portal or normal) then that is on him but at least he's not trying to do something he has no idea about or changing just to change.  

I seem to remember a coach that did that and it sucked way worse.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

while not good in the tourney the last 4 years obviously, at least he has an identity and is elite on one side of the ball.

of course, if he now can't recruit to it(portal or normal) then that is on him but at least he's not trying to do something he has no idea about or changing just to change.  

I seem to remember a coach that did that and it sucked way worse.

I don't remember who said it, but Beard's style was a lot of like Bennett's style - the defense chokes you to death and if you're down 10, it feels like you're down 30.   But on the flipside, those slow paced offensive teams .... if they're down 10, a comeback is extremely difficult. 

That UMBC game, it was tied at the half.  UMBC went on a 7-2 run out of the half, and then a 6-2 run leading up to the under-16 TO.  Boom - tied to an 11 point deficit.  Then a 10-4 UMBC run basically put that game away.  UVA got as close as 12 points and that was it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Thought he died in the Kiln explosion that also took the life of Fawn Liebowitz. 

You're mistaken.  That's what you get for reading fake news from the Emily Dickinson College student newspaper.  Get a real news source like the Daily Faberian.  

Posted (edited)

Been here a million times for work, but Charlotte is the most bland, personality-less ‘major city’ in the US.

Lot of Tennessee fans around but of course almost everyone here is a ‘Heel, although the few NC State fans are incredibly vocal. Have seen one table of CSU fans but what they lack in volume they make up in not being able to hold their Fireball..

Edited by Ignatius
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

6 hours ago, miguelito said:

image.jpeg.66b606be87795e9533bbdfe531d39569.jpeg