2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

The deal with Blue is that we have eyes and have been watching football for awhile. A handful of times over the last few games he made me stand up and yell "holy fuck!".

Remember when most of us didn't know much about D'onta Foreman, and then he busted out a long run vs OU where he was outrunning much smaller guys? I got the same feeling watching Blue last year.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i agree with the tiny sample size issue totally and completely. the point of that is that the data we do have and do have access to does not back up the "Guy A is more explosive than Guy B" eye test. 

all we do know is that at every opportunity for their careers at Texas the coaching staff, which has access to way more data and way more information than we do, has said chosen to give more snaps to Baxter over Blue.

here's is to hoping Texas has some wildass RB room next year and they both run for thousand yards.

i agree that a lot of the value of those terms is better in other sports vs football in general. there is no CFB version of wRC+ out there to compare how good True Freshman Bijan was vs true freshman Cedric Benson or even an easier way to compare someone like Blue to someone like Baxter.

i agree that the sample size is too small in CFB

i agree that there are huge swings in variability to make any one of them the single best stat or single best metric.

also i think there is absolutely value in looking some of the advanced stats as a piece of the puzzle and a piece of how good a player/team is. i think they are more valuable at the team level than the player level (much larger sample size at that point) but there is no be all end all stat

i think some of the RB stats we had access to are useful (highlight yards vs line yards for example) - but again that doesn't show everything and isn't the end all be all.

of all the (public systems) out there, prediction tracker tracks like 50 different (public) systems that all make game predictions and last year 2 total systems beat the line straight up and the best one was only 0.5% better than the line SU. ATS, the line was better by almost 5%. none of em are perfect, none of them are the end all-be all. 

that said, the very basic stats around Blue vs Baxter absolutely do not back up the "Blue is incredibly explosive and way more explosive than Baxter."

the comparison to Herman hurts

8bffe9ad-cd88-46d7-855d-6e514bc1e962_tex

i like stats, i think they add color to the discussion and add value to the discussion. you have to balance between the gut/eye test and the stats side of things. anyone who uses stats alone is as bad as someone who uses the eye test alone.

I wasn't responding regarding you. Like I said, advanced stats have their place in CFB, but I don't think that place is in player to player comparisons, since that's doable without the statistical noise and the sides will either find common ground or what fans do and keep arguing. Same for the gameday stuff. Sometimes, the coach shouldn't give a shit about national statistics for FG probability at a certain point in the game dimming the positive eventual outcome and just realize that you're fucking playing OU, you have their offense on the ropes, kick the FG and make them comeback by 3 scores with 8 minutes on the clock. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 4

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sometimes, the coach shouldn't give a shit about national statistics for FG probability at a certain point in the game dimming the positive eventual outcome and just realize that you're fucking playing OU, you have their offense on the ropes, kick the FG and make them comeback by 3 scores with 8 minutes on the clock. 

why don't you just fly out here and come kick me in the nuts seventeen times instead of the mental and emotional abuse here

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I wasn't responding regarding you. Like I said, advanced stats have their place in CFB, but I don't think that place is in player to player comparisons, since that's doable without the statistical noise and the sides will either find common ground or what fans do and keep arguing. Same for the gameday stuff. Sometimes, the coach shouldn't give a shit about national statistics for FG probability at a certain point in the game dimming the positive eventual outcome and just realize that you're fucking playing OU, you have their offense on the ropes, kick the FG and make them comeback by 3 scores with 8 minutes on the clock. 

Yeah, it’s great that coaches now understand that Expected Value is a “thing” for decisions. Next, let’s teach Sark the basics of binomial stats and option trees and we’ll all be better off. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

Remember when most of us didn't know much about D'onta Foreman, and then he busted out a long run vs OU where he was outrunning much smaller guys? I got the same feeling watching Blue last year.

once again you are blinded by a single run from a single game

Foreman went 9 for 117 in the 2015 OU game.

81 of that came on one play. he was not touched until he was 10 yards down the field, a guy got 1 arm on him there. then another guy dove at his ankles and he shrugged that off and then he wasn't touched again until he was tackled. this was a bad OU defense. Heard attempted 11 passes, Texas completed 9 passes for 55 yards and rushed it 58 times. Texas won 24-17.

Foreman didn't outrun anyone lol. he had an 81 yard run and was tackled from behind at the 10 yard line with 3 dudes around him that all would have tackled him

image.png.54fba2badefec4a69b5b625e71675bc0.png

here's the 3 guys associated with that tackle (10, 13, 15)

image.png.cb774f582e87c7f08f256d40ce3ad82b.png

that touch happened with 10 seconds in the 3rd Q. that was his last touch of the game as Texas salted away the win with Heard (21 carries) and Gray (22 carries)

the rest of the game he had 8 carries for 36 yards, or 4 yards per carry.

dude was an incredible player at Texas. not denying that at all, but that single run is stuck in your mind as some kind of wild play where he ran away from a bunch of little dudes is absolutely incorrect.

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

JFC we were 1-4 going into the Texas OU game. A lot of those shitty years blend together for me... was that the year TCU launched us into the sun the week before? 

Idk if it was the week before, but it's the only time I can ever remember the $9.95ers saying "actually practice this week sucked" and then we won

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, NoName said:

yeah, that's wrong.

pulled the per play data for only the ISU game, the TTU game, the Oklahoma State game and the Washington game - games after Brooks got hurt and those two basically split rushing attempts. here's the results

edit: fixed my %s, i had hardcoded formulas - my bad

image.png.ccfd4221a489651218cd8f3932f18652.png

By percentage, Baxter had fewer rushes that went for negative yards (2% for Baxter - 1 rush, 11.1% for Blue - 4 rushes), more rushes that went 5+ yards, more rushes that went 10+ yards.

Blue had more rushes by % that went 20+ yards (2.8 vs 2.0%) and 1 that went for 30+ yards, Baxter had 0.

this is just to prove that nobody was out here ripping of 18 yards very often and getting dinged by my 20 yard threshold

• Blue's rushes of 10+ yards: 11, 12, 69, 12, 16, 12
  • Baxter's rushes of 10+ yards: 12, 13, 13, 14, 21, 13, 10, 14, 13, 16

people get blinded by a 69 yard TD - which was awesome - but the guy was touched like 1 yard beyond the line of scrimmage and never touched again

image.png.e724af69547af30aafc61e0c3dce12ae.png

despite this guy having 40 yards and this angle on him (he took a really bad angle)

image.png.9c20b96d34a8157b777182709d7da50c.png

I like this post for the substance and sticking to the argument. 

18 hours ago, NoName said:

just to be clear, this took less than 10 min thanks to https://collegefootballdata.com/ and Excel - not a long project and can be done even faster if you know anything about R and Python

1 hour ago, NoName said:

81 of that came on one play. he was not touched until he was 10 yards down the field, a guy got 1 arm on him there. then another guy dove at his ankles and he shrugged that off and then he wasn't touched again until he was tackled. this was a bad OU defense. Heard attempted 11 passes, Texas completed 9 passes for 55 yards and rushed it 58 times. Texas won 24-17.

Foreman didn't outrun anyone lol. he had an 81 yard run and was tackled from behind at the 10 yard line with 3 dudes around him that all would have tackled him

that touch happened with 10 seconds in the 3rd Q. that was his last touch of the game as Texas salted away the win with Heard (21 carries) and Gray (22 carries)

dude was an incredible player at Texas. not denying that at all, but that single run is stuck in your mind as some kind of wild play where he ran away from a bunch of little dudes is absolutely incorrect.

you're a fucking nerd.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, NoName said:

yeah, that's wrong.

pulled the per play data for only the ISU game, the TTU game, the Oklahoma State game and the Washington game - games after Brooks got hurt and those two basically split rushing attempts. here's the results

edit: fixed my %s, i had hardcoded formulas - my bad

image.png.ccfd4221a489651218cd8f3932f18652.png

By percentage, Baxter had fewer rushes that went for negative yards (2% for Baxter - 1 rush, 11.1% for Blue - 4 rushes), more rushes that went 5+ yards, more rushes that went 10+ yards.

Blue had more rushes by % that went 20+ yards (2.8 vs 2.0%) and 1 that went for 30+ yards, Baxter had 0.

this is just to prove that nobody was out here ripping of 18 yards very often and getting dinged by my 20 yard threshold

• Blue's rushes of 10+ yards: 11, 12, 69, 12, 16, 12
  • Baxter's rushes of 10+ yards: 12, 13, 13, 14, 21, 13, 10, 14, 13, 16

people get blinded by a 69 yard TD - which was awesome - but the guy was touched like 1 yard beyond the line of scrimmage and never touched again

image.png.e724af69547af30aafc61e0c3dce12ae.png

despite this guy having 40 yards and this angle on him (he took a really bad angle)

image.png.9c20b96d34a8157b777182709d7da50c.png

Great post! If our benchmark is Brooks, it would be interesting to Brook's breakdown of the same stats and then compare all three.

28 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

Idk if it was the week before, but it's the only time I can ever remember the $9.95ers saying "actually practice this week sucked" and then we won

One of my friends was at practice that week. He called me and said "I know you won't believe this, but this shit is so bad that I think a blowout this weekend may get this guy fired." I argued there was no way they would do that and he said "as bad as this team looks, this could make the Mack blowouts look close." And then we won. I was happy for a few days about Texas football for a bit. Felt nice at the time.

1 minute ago, speed817 said:

Someone thinks that dude is the love child of Bryant Gumble and Janet Reno, apparently. Grim.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

but that single run is stuck in your mind as some kind of wild play where he ran away from a bunch of little dudes is absolutely incorrect.

I just went back and watched the run. Foreman accelerated at the line and blew past a couple of smaller guys who underestimated his speed. Because of DBs in his way, he is weaving in s-curves as he runs down the field, while he is being tracked down by smaller guys taking direct lines at him, and they still barely catch him, with a diving shoestring tackle. It was exactly as I remembered. Foreman had a special burst, just like Blue. 

Again, I predict Blue will end up being our starter by midseason and will have many explosive plays from the RB position this season. We will see. 

Burton posted thoughts today around the Burrell exit that I thought made some sense. Link below. In the comments section, @Red Five had an interesting counterpoint to some pollyanna nonsense as well.

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/1252-thoughts-on-smaje-burrell/#comment-14740

Anyway, the attrition has begun. We're discussing it plenty in the transfer thread on the recruiting board, but here are some thoughts in this thread too.

Obviously, there aren't a bunch of guys on the roster that the program "wants" to lose but there are between 7-10 spots that need to be vacated.

1) Burrell was gone before he drunkenly rearended Sweat on Sunday morning. Until that incident, the staff wanted to keep him, but Baylor and other Big 12 schools had already told his family that he'd be a day 1 starter for them and he's riding 3rd string at Texas.

2) They're overloaded at DB. A name there is Jordan, although nothing in concrete. Again, that guy could be starting somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised by 2+ exits from DB. Holmes maybe? He's looked good this spring and playing with urgency. He's not a bum. I don't see how pain is avoided at DB. 

3) OL is simply loaded and they're about to put another top 1-2 OL class in the country together. I've heard that Stroh isn't going anywhere and they like him a lot. Not a lot of rumblings about anyone on the two deep. There have long been whispers about Connor Robertson maybe heading elsewhere. My problem with that story is that this site is loaded with Westlake honks who have said something at some point. Merril's family have deep ties and support to UT and UT athletics, allegedly, and that dude is valued. Kirkland checks a lot boxes for why someone would transfer - away from home, buried on the depth chart, lingering recovery work from a serious injury, was in the doghouse almost immediately after arriving to campus. 

4) No one is saying much, but I view Mitchell as the single most likely candidate to transfer in this cycle. He checks every box for why a guy would leave.

5) There are too many TEs on the roster.

6) I'll be surprised if Savion Red is on the roster come August.

7) No rumblings about anyone at WR.

8 ) There are too many DEs/Edge guys on the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Burton posted thoughts today around the Burrell exit that I thought made some sense. Link below. In the comments section, @Red Five had an interesting counterpoint to some pollyanna nonsense as well.

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/1252-thoughts-on-smaje-burrell/#comment-14740

Anyway, the attrition has begun. We're discussing it plenty in the transfer thread on the recruiting board, but here are some thoughts in this thread too.

Obviously, there aren't a bunch of guys on the roster that the program "wants" to lose but there are between 7-10 spots that need to be vacated.

1) Burrell was gone before he drunkenly rearended Sweat on Sunday morning. Until that incident, the staff wanted to keep him, but Baylor and other Big 12 schools had already told his family that he'd be a day 1 starter for them and he's riding 3rd string at Texas.

2) They're overloaded at DB. A name there is Jordan, although nothing in concrete. Again, that guy could be starting somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised by 2+ exits from DB. Holmes maybe? He's looked good this spring and playing with urgency. He's not a bum. I don't see how pain is avoided at DB. 

3) OL is simply loaded and they're about to put another top 1-2 OL class in the country together. I've heard that Stroh isn't going anywhere and they like him a lot. Not a lot of rumblings about anyone on the two deep. There have long been whispers about Connor Robertson maybe heading elsewhere. My problem with that story is that this site is loaded with Westlake honks who have said something at some point. Merril's family have deep ties and support to UT and UT athletics, allegedly, and that dude is valued. Kirkland checks a lot boxes for why someone would transfer - away from home, buried on the depth chart, lingering recovery work from a serious injury, was in the doghouse almost immediately after arriving to campus. 

4) No one is saying much, but I view Mitchell as the single most likely candidate to transfer in this cycle. He checks every box for why a guy would leave.

Mitchell, Kirkland, Jordan, Red, Burrell, Agbo, Chatman, Walton, Tapp to me seem the most likely guys to head elsewhere. Tapp is a good player, but he will get less snaps this year with Simmons, Moore, Burke, Sorrell, Finkley, and probably Vasek. That would be 9, maybe there is another surprise or two in there somewhere. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Is this a bit? I'll admit I'm having difficulty caring enough to keep track of who's arguing what, but the guy's point is that Foreman turned out to be really fucking good. Not that he was dominant that game. That you came in and echoed your same arguments about how actually Foreman kind of stunk that game only strengthens any parallels he's drawing between what Blue showed last season and that specific Foreman game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Mitchell, Kirkland, Jordan, Red, Burrell, Agbo, Chatman, Walton, Tapp to me seem the most likely guys to head elsewhere. Tapp is a good player, but he will get less snaps this year with Simmons, Moore, Burke, Sorrell, Finkley, and probably Vasek. That would be 9, maybe there is another surprise or two in there somewhere. 

Aaron Bryant?

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Akana seems most easy to point at with that edge position. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Aaron Bryant?

Sark was talking up Bryant recently, and it sounds like Baker likes him too. He's also one of the biggest bodies on the DL who isn't a lollygagger. 

Seems like the staff will work to retain him. 

Edited by Park Gothic
  • Hook 'Em 2

JGray played behind that same shitty offensive line on the same stupid offense and his longest run that season was 26 yards. Putting your foot in the ground and exploding through a hole quickly is a skill and not all running backs have it.

Foreman showed he had it early in his career. So far, Blue has flashed it as well

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok so first of fucking all, given what we've been saying about single plays having an outsized effect on the game outcome, "he only had 4ypc other than that 80-yard TD" is like saying "if you take out all of Mahomes' good plays for no reason he regresses to the mean."

Secondly, 4 ypc isn't shit; it gets it done. That means if you hand the ball off to him every play, you get a first down and then some every three downs.

12 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

So far, Blue has flashed it as well

But, to cop your own point, Blue has been behind OLs and in a scheme that are both VASTLY better than what Foreman had to run behind and in.

"4 ypc outside of an 81-yard run while behind a shit oline in a stupid offensive system" sounds to me like an NFL-caliber RB already. Then, he got better, you say?

To think we only picked the guy up because of his brother...

I don't see the comparison with Blue, but that's because my whole point on Blue is that we don't have the data, and with Foreman we have hindsight.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Aaron Bryant?

That would hurt. 

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Akana seems most easy to point at with that edge position. 

More than someone like Finkley who is being passed over? I'm wondering if Finkley might be eligible to be a GT because I feel like his family was all over the academics and he came in with courses finished already. Might be misremembering that though. The only name floated both in December and now that makes a lot of sense to me is Tapp. He could apparently be starting somewhere else by observer estimates.

Gullette is a guy we don't hear much about, although he's still young.

Tapp had a little juice from the little pt we saw him get, but at best he's competing for Walton to be the #6 guy at a position where the top 3-4 figure to eat up a majority of the snaps

1 hour ago, Josef Pwag said:

I just went back and watched the run. Foreman accelerated at the line and blew past a couple of smaller guys who underestimated his speed. Because of DBs in his way, he is weaving in s-curves as he runs down the field, while he is being tracked down by smaller guys taking direct lines at him, and they still barely catch him, with a diving shoestring tackle. It was exactly as I remembered. Foreman had a special burst, just like Blue. 

Again, I predict Blue will end up being our starter by midseason and will have many explosive plays from the RB position this season. We will see. 

my guy, you can't say someone was out there outrunning little guys (DBs) then he gets caught from behind by said little guys, one of whom he had a 5-6 yard lead on and the other who crossed from outside the numbers on the other side of the field to tackle him.

10 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Tapp had a little juice from the little pt we saw him get, but at best he's competing for Walton to be the #6 guy at a position where the top 3-4 figure to eat up a majority of the snaps

Gulette has apparently looked really good this spring 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Is this a bit? I'll admit I'm having difficulty caring enough to keep track of who's arguing what, but the guy's point is that Foreman turned out to be really fucking good. Not that he was dominant that game. That you came in and echoed your same arguments about how actually Foreman kind of stunk that game only strengthens any parallels he's drawing between what Blue showed last season and that specific Foreman game.

he pointed out how this one 81 yard run in the OU game run showed him that Foreman had some crazy burst and how he was outrunning little dudes.

on the run he pointed out, Foreman was caught from behind by 2 DBs and a 3rd would have tackled him if the first 2 didn't.

and yes, i pointed out that outside of that on erun, Foreman wasn't great that game. he had 36 yards on 8 carries and had 0 touches in the 4th quarter

the parallel he is pointing out is dumb. using any single run as a "this guy is awesome" example is dumb. comparing two guys together because of one run is dumb. that guy has a long history of posting dumb shit on this site. i

11 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

like a week or so ago... Gullette was getting love

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We've reached the point in this thread where it could be time for you to stop intervening with tedious shit from 9 years ago and analyzing single runs from TBs down to the gnat's ass as a quasi-scientific means of determining whether said TB can be viewed as having value in the future state. 

Rules like that are going to put a lot of people out of a job.

• Haha 6