Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

12 minutes ago, WBT said:

I don't really get burning Abreu and Hader both with a 3 run lead after both went 1 1/3 yesterday and now both will be unavailable tomorrow.

I’m in the “take nothing for granted” camp at this point in the season.  They’ve got to get a winning streak going. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, WBT said:

Nice come from behind win.

I don't really get burning Abreu and Hader both with a 3 run lead after both went 1 1/3 yesterday and now both will be unavailable tomorrow.  Javier will also probably be on a low pitch count.  Whatever, score 10 in the 1st tomorrow and hopefully it won't matter.

stop pussy footing around. They both need the innings 

we are at defcon 1. First weekend series with all ‘normal’ starters. It’s fucking go time 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

France, Brown, Arrighetti: 0-11

Errbody else: 14-13

Everything would be fucking fine without the pitching injuries to JV, Framber, Javier, and Urquidy.  Those injuries don’t happen, we’re all talking about how badass the Astros are for being above .500 despite Jose Abreu dying, Bregman slumping, and Hunter Brown shitting the bed in all 5 of his starts.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Nice come from behind win.

I don't really get burning Abreu and Hader both with a 3 run lead after both went 1 1/3 yesterday and now both will be unavailable tomorrow.  Javier will also probably be on a low pitch count.  Whatever, score 10 in the 1st tomorrow and hopefully it won't matter.

I like you but this is a terrible post

who would you have put out there to protect a 3 run lead and would you have stayed silent when they blew it instead of screaming “how could you not throw Abreu and Hader in a save situation!”

you absolutely put those two guys out there tonight to secure a W and worry about tomorrow when it comes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Number 1 priority for this team should be ditching the “back of the baseball card” idiocy from Espada and Brown and getting Bagwell as far away from the decision making as possible. I want to be the smartest organization in baseball again. Bring Ng in and revamp the organization. Dana doesn’t have the brain power and analytical skills to be a good GM. Fire him after Memorial Day.

11 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Number 1 priority for this team should be ditching the “back of the baseball card” idiocy from Espada and Brown and getting Bagwell as far away from the decision making as possible. I want to be the smartest organization in baseball again. Bring Ng in and revamp the organization. Dana doesn’t have the brain power and analytical skills to be a good GM. Fire him after Memorial Day.

Why do you do this to yourself?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why do you do this to yourself?

I like thinking about ways to improve this team. This current regime has no clue how to build a championship squad. Brown is pulling players straight out of the garbage, guys that the fucking A’s discarded. 

Edited by Macklemore

11 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I like thinking about ways to improve this team. This current regime has no clue how to build a championship squad. Brown is pulling players straight out of the garbage, guys that the fucking A’s discarded. 

Seth Martinez, who currently has a 1.80 era for the Astros, was a “guy the fucking A’s discarded.” 

Speas was a 2nd round pick who looked like he was gonna be badass until he got hurt, which basically took him out from 2019-2022.  He came back on 2023, and after basically 3 years off, dominated AA and got called up despite having walk issues in AAA.  During his callup in 2023, he AVERAGED 100 mph on his fastball.  Then he bounced to the white Sox and A’s where he’s had issues with walks.

Shitty organizations aren’t shitty because they don’t have good players, they’re shitty because they can’t develop guys with an elite skill countered with a severe flaw like Speas.  So they cut them loose and a team like the Astros tries to fix them into something useful.  Speas may not amount to shit, but he also might end up being a badass reliever.  Right now he’s the 40th guy on their 40 man roster.  Thats not something to denigrate the GM over on the first day the move is made.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Seth Martinez, who currently has a 1.80 era for the Astros, was a “guy the fucking A’s discarded.” 

Speas was a 2nd round pick who looked like he was gonna be badass until he got hurt, which basically took him out from 2019-2022.  He came back on 2023, and after basically 3 years off, dominated AA and got called up despite having walk issues in AAA.  During his callup in 2023, he AVERAGED 100 mph on his fastball.  Then he bounced to the white Sox and A’s where he’s had issues with walks.

Shitty organizations aren’t shitty because they don’t have good players, they’re shitty because they can’t develop guys with an elite skill countered with a severe flaw like Speas.  So they cut them loose and a team like the Astros tries to fix them into something useful.  Speas may not amount to shit, but he also might end up being a badass reliever.  Right now he’s the 40th guy on their 40 man roster.  Thats not something to denigrate the GM over on the first day the move is made.

I mean- I’m pleased we got him if for no reason other than it caused us to get rid of Julks. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- I’m pleased we got him if for no reason other than it caused us to get rid of Julks. 

Julks is a fine 5th/6th OF; he was a 30/20 guy in AAA in 2022 so there’s talent there.  He was horribly miscast last year because Baker liked his personality.  He has since gotten passed over by guys like Cabbage and Loperfido and Leon, so the DFA makes sense, but it wouldn’t surprise me if a crummy team picks him up and he pans out as a decent bench player or fringey regular on a losing team.

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

When Urquidy comes back it’ll be interesting to see who gets the boot from the rotation, Brown or Arrighetti.

9 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Julks is a fine 5th/6th OF; he was a 30/20 guy in AAA in 2022 so there’s talent there.  He was horribly miscast last year because Baker liked his personality.  He has since gotten passed over by guys like Cabbage and Loperfido and Leon, so the DFA makes sense, but it wouldn’t surprise me if a crummy team picks him up and he pans out as a decent bench player or fringey regular on a losing team.

When Urquidy comes back it’ll be interesting to see who gets the boot from the rotation, Brown or Arrighetti.

Boot both of them 

JV, Framber, Javier, Blanco, Urquidy

Quit giving teams free wins

• Hook 'Em 3

George Springer, age 28: .265/.346/.434, 119 wRC+
Jake Meyers, age 28: .235/.297/.456, 114 wRC+ (thru 5/10/24)

Carlos Correa, age 26: .279/.366/.485, 133 wRC+
Jeremy Pena, age 26: .338/.381/.469, 146 wRC+ (thru 5/10/24)

Yuli Gurriel, age 32: .262/.292/.385, 84 wRC+
Jon Singleton, age 32: .227/.314/.414, 109 wRC+ (thru 5/10/24)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Spaghetti needs to go back to the minors and work on things. Brown needs to go to the pen as a 6th inninf option 

Back when Elarton came up Baseball Prospectus ran an article on the, at the time, discarded practice of apprenticing your top pitching prospects as relievers before moving them into the rotation.  If I were GM that’s what I’d want to do with Brown.

Also, @Macklemore, Kim Ng has done absolutely nothing to justify your faith that she’s Luhnow-esque.  She, is however, excellent at leaking clubhouse intrigue to guys like Rosenthal and Stark, who in exchange drop her name for every GM vacancy and hint around there’s both racial and gender bias holding her back.  

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Julks is a fine 5th/6th OF; he was a 30/20 guy in AAA in 2022 so there’s talent there.

Let’s be honest, that was a really soft 30/20 at 26 in the PCL.  Wasting 300 at bats on him last year was a canary in the coal mine that Dusty was on his own program.  

• Hook 'Em 4

18 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

loki-bit.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Sigh

0 for 5 career vs Skubal gets Tucker pine, I guess 

Yeah I gotta disagree with that move. But who knows ...

Edited by wood

7 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I think it's just a scheduled day off. Don't think Tucker has sat out a single game yet.

Edit: Yeah, he has appeared in 38/38 games this season.

And clearly we needed to change that up?

• Hook 'Em 1