UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

So this is the UT thread for these protests, not the national thread of all protests. 

The UT protest specifically doesn't have any of this shit @Frank Drebin so go put it in the right thread, also this isn't a thread for you to just bitch over and over about stuff it's a thread for discussing the event and the happenings of it, which include many government entities and organizations and people. That's not CR. Talking about the future policy creation and what needs to happen from here etc etc is all CR and should go in that thread which exists for the purposes of that. 

11 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Everything is going to shit, including this site

This just isn't true, the site is a reflection of what is happening in society I'm not fucking causing protests on the UT campus and forcing the topic of Zionism, anti-semitism, genocide and muslim xenophobia on here. 

7 hours ago, alincoln said:

Just avoid this board and CR and the site is fine.  It doesn't compare to Surly but it's still entertaining.  Shaggy's problem is that too few posters provide way too much of the content.  

If you guys were fucking funny about anything anymore then it would be fine, but instead everyone wants to get all fucking butthurt about shit instead of finding the funny commentary with a bit of a serious undertone. I do agree that there was some high brow intellectualism that used to go into some of the stuff like this. Now there's a bunch of outrage only which should stop. 

Read your posts before posting, if it's an outrage post and no one is gonna laugh at it, why are you posting it? Are you actually going to change someone's mind? Is it just therapeutic for you? What exactly are you gaining and what is the community gaining from your contribution? 

This thread can be fun as a thread, on a topic that is definitely not fun and it can make this subject approachable to people who it wouldn't normally be approachable to. Instead it's a dumpster fire piece of shit of a thread that's devolved into IF YOU DONT THINK LIKE ME YOU ARE A BAD HUMAN AND SUPPORT GENOCIDE AND RAPE AND GASSING THE JEWS.

Calm the fuck down, it's a god damned sports message board centered around UT. This happened at UT and it's fucking shitty and stupid, but it can also be something that is not just another outrage outlet like fox, cnn, politico, whatever bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, chainsaw said:

It would be disingenuous to cite that without a clear indication of who the receiving end of that "Final Solution" is. Is the sign simply pointing out the hypocrisy and parallels between what Israel is doing to a class of people it perceives as "undesirables" and what Nazis did? If so, that's very different from calling for a Holocaust.

You be the judge:

GMCXFrOXkAAALXH?format=jpg&name=large

That’s at UT?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

It’s not that fucking hard. Protest all you want but don’t set up camps, hold college campuses hostage, disrupt classes and crash graduation ceremonies. Go have your protest on west mall and leave it there.

That was literally met with 100 riot cops and horse cops and a fleet of cop vehicles. They were pushed off of the South Mall and then arrested for trespassing. Have you watched literally any of the footage?

Greg Abbott and the State of Texas violated those students freedom of speech and would not allow them to "have your protest and leave it there"

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

That is bad juju.  That random protester seems like a real piece of shit.  Anyone who calls for genocide is a piece of shit.  Thus, I presume that you are similarly outraged and inflamed by these pieces of shit calling for genocide, and the organization/state they ACTUALLY REPRESENT:

"Bring down buildings!! Bomb without distinction!! Stop with this impotence. You have ability. There is worldwide legitimacy! Flatten Gaza. Without mercy! This time, there is no room for mercy!," wished Revital Gottlieb, a member of the Israeli Knesset.

Israeli military soldiers, too, have also been caught showing genocidal intent and collective punishment ambitions in Gaza.

An example of that was an image taken by an IDF soldier of an artillery shell that had a text written on it in Hebrew: "God Willing, it will hit innocent people."

Some of those calls for genocide and ethnic cleansing against Palestinians came from Israeli decision-makers, including President Isaac Herzog, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and other extremist ministers in the far-right government.

"There are no innocent civilians in Gaza," Herzog said on October 14.

"Those are animals, they have no right to exist. I am not debating they way it will happen, but they need to be exterminated," argued Yoav Kisch, Israeli Minister of Education.

Knesset member and former Public Diplomacy Minister Galit Distal Atbaryan posted on Facebook that Israeli officials must invest all their energy "in one thing: erasing all of Gaza from the face of the Earth."

"That the brave monsters will fly to the southern fence and enter Egyptian territory," Atbaryan continued, an apparent reference to Israel's reported plan to permanently expel Palestinians who survive the assault to Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, imposing a "second Nakba" on the population. "Or let them die... Gaza needs to be wiped out."

“We are now rolling out the Gaza Nakba,” Dichter, a member of the right-wing Likud party, said Saturday, in comments widely reported by Israeli media. “From an operational point of view, there is no way to wage a war — as the Israeli army seeks to do in Gaza — with masses between the tanks and the soldiers,” he said. Pressed on his use of the word “Nakba” to describe the situation in Gaza, he said again: “Gaza Nakba 2023. That’s how it’ll end.”

If you are upset by some demonstrators using genocidal language - and you should be, calls for genocide and murder are morally indefensible - then you must be ENRAGED when actual leaders and representatives of a State, endowed with real power, do so.  I expect that you are, like many people are.  And many people choose to speak out against that State, its genocidal actions, and its stated genocidal goals.

But our governor thinks those people should be crushed under the boot before they even say a word, because to speak against those quotes I just gave you is impermissible.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

It’s not that fucking hard. Protest all you want but don’t set up camps, hold college campuses hostage, disrupt classes and crash graduation ceremonies. Go have your protest on west mall and leave it there.

Cool, cool.  Now, go read the previous 15 pages and catch up, Billy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

That was literally met with 100 riot cops and horse cops and a fleet of cop vehicles. They were pushed off of the South Mall and then arrested for trespassing. Have you watched literally any of the footage?

Greg Abbott and the State of Texas violated those students freedom of speech and would not allow them to "have your protest and leave it there"

Some were starting to set up tents

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Strangely, that hasn't been present in any of the footage or reporting that I've seen at Texas. Could you link me to it?

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That is bad juju.  That random protester seems like a real piece of shit.  Anyone who calls for genocide is a piece of shit.  Thus, I presume that you are similarly outraged and inflamed by these pieces of shit calling for genocide, and the organization/state they ACTUALLY REPRESENT:

If you are upset by some demonstrators using genocidal language - and you should be, calls for genocide and murder are morally indefensible - then you must be ENRAGED when actual leaders and representatives of a State, endowed with real power, do so.  I expect that you are, like many people are.  And many people choose to speak out against that State, its genocidal actions, and its stated genocidal goals.

But our governor thinks those people should be crushed under the boot before they even say a word, because to speak against those quotes I just gave you is impermissible.

Johnny doesn't have a problem with any of that language. In fact, he agrees with it as he's affirmatively stated his desire more than once in the war thread that he'd like to see all the Palestinians removed from Gaza. 

I see JohnnySack of shit goes on another shitposting spree. I seriously wonder what dirt he has on this site that he’s allowed to keep his bigotry and racism around. The dude was so vile he had to go change his username and he’s still around. Mindblown.

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Presuming that to be true.....then arrest the people who were breaking the law.  Them.  Only them.  And not other people nearby who were not breaking the law.  Stop the people who are breaking the law.  Do not deny the constitutional rights of the thousands more who were not breaking the law.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, this is not hard.  

By Billy's argument, the cops should run every UT football fan off of campus under the hooves of warhorses, because "some of them were starting to [break the law.]."  We know for a fact that numerous fans BREAK THE LAW, and get publicly intoxicated and belligerent on game day.  So, by Billy's logic, the police should drive ALL fans off of campus, because "some of them" are breaking the law.

OR....just spitballing here.....the cops could arrest those fans who break the law, and leave the other thousands to go about their business.  I know, what a WACKY idea, I'm clearly a hippie libtard communist or something.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

@immamacMy post was saying exactly what you are.  YOU are not causing the site to go to shit.  WE are.  It seems it always has to be a fight and its either one side or the other.  And then the poo flinging starts. Very little middle and for fuck sakes we beat shit into the ground. Its the way the world is now

• Hook 'Em 2

And the escalation of fuckery and punishment of students for speaking the wrong speech continues

https://www.kut.org/education/2024-04-26/ut-austin-says-arrested-protesters-including-students-will-not-be-allowed-on-campus

Protesters arrested for trespassing at UT Austin this week will not be allowed back on campus despite charges against them being dropped, a university spokesperson confirmed Friday.

The spokesperson did not respond to questions about how this could impact students who have final exams and plan to graduate in a couple weeks. A spokesperson told KUT the Office of the Dean of Students determines penalties for students, including how long a ban is in place.

Fifty-seven people were arrested Wednesday during pro-Palestinian protests on the university campus. UT Austin said roughly half of those arrested were students.

That includes Jumana Fakhreddine, a senior and pre-med student. The 22-year-old said she was arrested Wednesday afternoon, about 10 minutes after joining the protests. Fakhreddine said four to five officers lifted her off her feet and put her in zip-tie handcuffs.

The charges against her were dropped and she was released from jail just after midnight Thursday. She said since her release, no one from UT Austin has contacted her. She found she was not welcome on campus through a flyer circulated by the university.

“We thought that because the charges got dropped, we would be able to go to campus because we felt like that proved we didn’t do anything wrong,” she said. “But I guess that’s not true.”

UT Austin warned students before the protest that they could be disciplined for participating.

Fakhreddine said she's not sure if she'll be able to take her organic chemistry final on campus next week. She doesn’t need the class to graduate, she said, but does need it to apply to medical school.

“Initially I was angry about the whole thing, but I’m sad about how an educational institution is treating its students,” Fakhreddine said. “It just feels like such a betrayal.”

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

And the escalation of fuckery and punishment of students for speaking the wrong speech continues

https://www.kut.org/education/2024-04-26/ut-austin-says-arrested-protesters-including-students-will-not-be-allowed-on-campus

Their revolution is over. Condolences!  My advice to them is to do what their parents did - get a job!  The bums will always lose! 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Skipper said:

Their revolution is over. Condolences!  My advice to them is to do what their parents did - get a job!  The bums will always lose! 

It's completely inappropriate to academically punish students for peaceful and legal expressions of free speech. 

It's horrifying how amped you are to punish these students for having an opinion you don't like. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Protesters arrested for trespassing at UT Austin this week will not be allowed back on campus despite charges against them being dropped, a university spokesperson confirmed Friday.

The spokesperson did not respond to questions about how this could impact students who have final exams and plan to graduate in a couple weeks. A spokesperson told KUT the Office of the Dean of Students determines penalties for students, including how long a ban is in place.

Fifty-seven people were arrested Wednesday during pro-Palestinian protests on the university campus. UT Austin said roughly half of those arrested were students.

That includes Jumana Fakhreddine, a senior and pre-med student. The 22-year-old said she was arrested Wednesday afternoon, about 10 minutes after joining the protests. Fakhreddine said four to five officers lifted her off her feet and put her in zip-tie handcuffs.

The charges against her were dropped and she was released from jail just after midnight Thursday. She said since her release, no one from UT Austin has contacted her. She found she was not welcome on campus through a flyer circulated by the university.

“We thought that because the charges got dropped, we would be able to go to campus because we felt like that proved we didn’t do anything wrong,” she said. “But I guess that’s not true.”

UT Austin warned students before the protest that they could be disciplined for participating.

Fakhreddine said she's not sure if she'll be able to take her organic chemistry final on campus next week. She doesn’t need the class to graduate, she said, but does need it to apply to medical school.

“Initially I was angry about the whole thing, but I’m sad about how an educational institution is treating its students,” Fakhreddine said. “It just feels like such a betrayal.”

That’s some serious bullshit. It’s amazing to me that the University is tripling down on this. This is some serious backwater shit.

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

It's completely inappropriate to academically punish students for peaceful and legal expressions of free speech. 

It's horrifying how amped you are to punish these students for having an opinion you don't like. 

Especially when the arrests appear to have been entirely arbitrary. Using their logic, everyone present should be kicked off campus.

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yall need to go back and read @immamac's post about actually attempting to interject some humor instead of constant outrage posting. Maybe someone else will get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

If I were her, I'd lawyer up, the university is fucking up her future.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, royiv said:

That’s some serious bullshit. It’s amazing to me that the University is tripling down on this. This is some serious backwater shit.

None of this should be surprising. Fascism has been gaining strength in this country — and especially this state — for a long time. Anyone who reacts to the latest outrage with surprise just hasn’t been paying attention or has been leaning on normalcy bias.

Edited by BrickHorn

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yall need to go back and read @immamac's post about actually attempting to interject some humor instead of constant outrage posting. Maybe someone else will get it.

I'm not sure what's such a laughing matter? Like yeah it's from the Big Lebowski. Hawr hawr hawr! Do you think that's really appropriate in the face an honest to God fascist action on UT's campus at the behest of its own president?

Edited by Captainant

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Go ahead and lead the way and interject some humor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

yeah seriously, I'm about to start locking threads up like this. They don't actually do anything and aren't a positive outlet for anything. 

Your brand of humor is lacking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tents?! They were setting up TENTS!!??!11!??!!11

How about the cops walk over, and inform the tent people that tents are not allowed, and that they need to be taken down. I bet if they asked nicely, 90% of those tents would be taken down. 

And the 10% that refuse, write them a ticket and confiscate the tents. Do we really need to arrest people for setting up tents?

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Oh also Stateman just dropped. Charges dropped for all 57 people arrested.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2024/04/26/ut-austin-pro-palestinian-protest-charges-dropped-against-all-57-people-arrested/73468467007/

All charges have been declined against the 57 people arrested in connection to the Wednesday pro-Palestinian protest at the University of Texas.

The Travis County attorney's office said all 57 arrests, which were all criminal trespassing charges, lacked probable cause.

County Attorney Delia Garza, whose office handles misdemeanor cases, told the American-Statesman on Thursday that her office agreed with defense lawyers that there were "deficiencies" with the probable cause arrest affidavits, which are the documents filled out by law enforcement to justify an arrest. At that time on Thursday, 46 of the 57 had charges declined.

I know my first comment in this thread was trying to be funny but I appreciate what others have been posting about this especially with regard to what really happened. 

The powers that be gave The University and the State a black eye.  I know there are folks that are applauding the crackdown here but as a centrist Boomer, it's at best, utterly embarrassing.  

I am assuming that all 57 arrested can take civil action against the State and University.  The powers that be that punched first better buckle get ready to get hit back.  I see the 'Vote of no-confidence' document getting circulated.  Even if nothing comes of that, I don't see how Hartzell survives long term.  

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm not sure what's such a laughing matter? Like yeah it's from the Big Lebowski. Hawr hawr hawr! Do you think that's really appropriate in the face an honest to God fascist action on UT's campus at the behest of its own president?

Or you could frame that exact same thing in a way that wasn't outrage and was making fun of Hartzell being a fluffer of the fascists or something else that uses more than 1% of the brainpower you have and is just pooped out raw emotion on a keyboard. 

I'm not saying it's funny, I'm saying the way surly in particular can and has framed stuff that is serious in the past is with a lot of irreverence with an underlying tone of seriousness and gravity that isn't lost on the posters. 

2 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I am assuming that all 57 arrested can take civil action against the State and University.  The powers that be that punched first better buckle get ready to get hit back. 

I’ve been wondering about this. Can one of the lawyers opine on whether the University and/or State can be subject of lawsuit on these actions or can they stand behind sovereign immunity? 

Now, since we’re supposed to interject humor into our posts, here’s a gif of a guy getting kicked in the nuts.

kick in nuts GIF

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Or you could frame that exact same thing in a way that wasn't outrage and was making fun of Hartzell being a fluffer of the fascists or something else that uses more than 1% of the brainpower you have and is just pooped out raw emotion on a keyboard. 

I'm not saying it's funny, I'm saying the way surly in particular can and has framed stuff that is serious in the past is with a lot of irreverence with an underlying tone of seriousness and gravity that isn't lost on the posters. 

Heard, and I'll try to calm down a bit, but it's hard when a good chunk of this thread is people trying to distract from what happened at Texas by introducing what happened on the east or west coast, or just straight up applauding the action by abbott and hartzell. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I mean it used to be so goofy that we had to use a [SERIOUS] label at the end of Shaggy/beginning of surly because people were goofing TOO much. 

Yeah but those were fun shenanigans. These shenanigans are cruel and tragic. 

• Like 1