UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Being prepared is very different than sending in an army of riot police in a highly aggressive stance before the protest even started. The response came nowhere near matching what was a peaceful assembly.

He seems incapable of understanding the difference between preparation and action. There was no need for the action.It was a political stunt and Hartzell allowed himself to get used like a bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, royiv said:

Are you upset that people have quit interacting with your insane posts over there?

they have not, and they are quite good.  I'll be happy to entertain anyone on any point. 

Mods -- keep CR out of it! This thread is 100% CR though, which I find entertaining. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't think many would have an issue of the DPS being called in if the lawn occupiers overstayed their stated goal of the entire day and kept it up the next day. But to just go straight in because you feared it would get that way is a bad call. It was a peaceful protest until the DPS were brought in. Then it became a shitshow based on the fear of Hartzell and the BOR. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Oh, it's abundantly clear you don't want to address what ACTUALLY happened and would rather treat a hypothetical as objective fact. 

I only jumped into the thread because you misrepresented what was said in the text to fit your agenda/position.  I haven't had time to (nor do I really plan to or have any desire to) read the entire thread or watch every video.  I assume a bunch of asshole cops acted like you might expect asshole cops might act when mixed with asshole protestors.  If you want to blame Hartzell for not giving very specific instructions to minimize confrontation, then that's probably a valid criticism and I would have perused the thread and turned my attention back to the draft without engaging.  Now I'm turning my attention to bed.  I'll let you keep yelling at the clouds assuming anyone that disagrees with you is a 75 year old Newsmax junkie.  Good luck with that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I only jumped into the thread because you misrepresented what was said in the text to fit your agenda/position.  I haven't had time to (nor do I really plan to or have any desire to) read the entire thread or watch every video.  I assume a bunch of asshole cops acted like you might expect asshole cops might act when mixed with asshole protestors.  If you want to blame Hartzell for not giving very specific instructions to minimize confrontation, then that's probably a valid criticism and I would have perused the thread and turned my attention back to the draft without engaging.  Now I'm turning my attention to bed.  I'll let you keep yelling at the clouds assuming anyone that disagrees with you is a 75 year old Newsmax junkie.  Good luck with that.

Enjoy not caring about your state and university bowing to and welcoming the fascist threat of violence. You give alumnus a bad name for excusing this abuse of rights.

Enjoy sleeping soundly and choosing ignorance and propaganda over objective reality. Ignorance is bliss, I hear. 

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Why are protesters exercising their constitutional right to assemble assholes? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, hornbri said:

I am going to be annoyed if Hartzell ends up resigning over this

He absolutely should have already, and I have let him know that is my opinion.

I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but I am on the Chancellor's Council, and if enough of us express that opinion it will have an effect

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

He absolutely should have already, and I have let him know that is my opinion.

Why should he resign? He’s a hero to the governor and the BOR. He’s locked himself into the job for years to come. He played it perfectly if he wanted to 1) secure his job, and 2) demonstrate total contempt for the people (to be fair, item 2 is how you accomplish item 1).
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Skipper said:

USC just cancelled commencement because of these assholes. 

That is fucked up beyond reproach. Guessing many of those kids didn't have a high school ceremony with COVID either. And to lose this one as well?

Protest, fine. Take it to a level where you're encumbering and preventing once-in-a-lifetime celebratory opportunities after you've worked your ass off?

Go fuck yourselves you unbridled cunts.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Enjoy not caring about your state and university bowing to and welcoming the fascist threat of violence. You give alumnus a bad name for excusing this abuse of rights.

Enjoy sleeping soundly and choosing ignorance and propaganda over objective reality. Ignorance is bliss, I hear. 

alumnus is singular.  don’t be fooled by that s on the end. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

That is fucked up beyond reproach. Guessing many of those kids didn't have a high school ceremony with COVID either. And to lose this one as well?

Protest, fine. Take it to a level where you're encumbering and preventing once-in-a-lifetime celebratory opportunities after you've worked your ass off?

USC canceled the speech of the valedictorian over “safety concerns” due to the student being Muslim. Apparently they had received threats from pro-Israel folks. As we all know, things ramped up at USC this week so they canceled the “main stage” commencement ceremonies over concerns of having 65k people in one place at one time due to the backlash of having canceled the Muslim valedictorian’s traditional speech. Individual schools and programs will still conduct commencement ceremonies and receptions on campus as usual.

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

If you're not aware, the recent protests at USC began when the school's administration decided not to allow this year's valedictorian to give her speech at the commencement ceremony because she's a vocal supporter of Palestine.

edit: yeah, what royiv said with much more detail.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

USC just cancelled commencement because of these assholes. 

Pro-Zionists making threats towards the graduation because the USC valedictorian is a brown pro-Palestinian Muslim that wears a hijab,  yeah the Pro-Zionists are assholes.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The attempt by Hartzell and every useful idiot in this thread to make what happened in Austin, TX on Speedway in front of Gregory, and on the Six Pack be about something that happened in California and New York is fucking absurd on its face. What the actual fuck are you saying. 

Talk about WHAT HAPPENED AT TEXAS. Fucking watch some actual reporting from the event and don't just sheepishly regurgitate statements from the people who called in the fucking jack booted head crackers to brutalize students. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Define that, specifically, as it pertains to these events. Because based on what I've seen, it seems hyperbolic.

Intent/threat for physical harm and actual physical harm. Not sure what you’re missing here. 

Edited by Hank_Hill

On 4/24/2024 at 6:50 PM, royiv said:

Accidentally bumping into someone in a crowded and chaotic situation, especially by a member of the press covering a major story, is not a crime. This photog will never be formally charged with a crime and in the meantime there are going to be a whole lot of journalists in this state pissed off at DPS. 

I was being sarcastic / facetious. 

I knew it would come across differently,  because of the topic... But this is Surly.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

LOL.  JFC dude. I'm a Trump hating Biden and D voter across the board outside of random local races.  The constant far left circle jerk on this site is hilarious.  You all live in the same fantasy world the MAGA nutjobs do and you don't realize it. 

First they came for the students.

And I did not speak out, for I was not in a far left circle jerk.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

There is also a very large share that you are completely ignoring or refusing to acknowledge: those who are neither anti-Israel nor antisemitic but only want Palestinians to be allowed to have their own homeland.

Oh boy! Imagine if people on this website use associative fallacy - painting individuals with a group brush - when anything mildly political comes up. Good thing that never happens. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Skipper said:

right.  It stated he called them because they affirmatively stated they wanted to do the same takeover encampent bullshit they did at Columbia

You really think the leaders of that group called Hartzell told him they were planning to commit felonies? You’re not dumb. Use your brain 

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

If you're not aware, the recent protests at USC began when the school's administration decided not to allow this year's valedictorian to give her speech at the commencement ceremony because she's a vocal supporter of Palestine.

edit: yeah, what royiv said with much more detail.

Thank you. Misinformed post and I stand corrected. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

First they came for the students.

And I did not speak out, for I was not in a far left circle jerk.

So in your mind, the only people that are upset about what DPS did two days ago are in a "far left circle jerk"? Man when there's no FRED chart applicable to the topic at hand you're genuinely rudderless and don't have a fucking clue. 

But it's also something that you are invoking a classic poem regarding the rise of fascism and ignoring the end of the poem. You do know what happens after they come after the people you don't like, right? 

And for what it's worth, the big stat from hartzell that the fascism apologists are hanging their hat on is misleading at best. If 26 of the arrested people were unaffiliated with the university, then a bunch of them were released without charges because there was no probable cause to justify their detainment and deprivation of rights

https://www.kut.org/crime-justice/2024-04-25/ut-austin-palestinian-protest-charges-dismissed-israel-gaza-war

Call me whatever names you'd like, but hartzells numbers and statements he gave to justify inviting fascism don't add up with the public and verifiable information we have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Everything is going to shit, including this site

Just avoid this board and CR and the site is fine.  It doesn't compare to Surly but it's still entertaining.  Shaggy's problem is that too few posters provide way too much of the content.  

• Hook 'Em 6

47 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You do know what happens after they come after the people you don't like, right? 

Which people do I like, and which people did I ask to be censored? Didn't you suggest that I gave no shits to either the Israelis or Palestinians?

I know exactly what happened after the palestinian group begged and "demanded" for another group to be shutdown: something that made you cry. Pissant.

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Which people do I like, and which people did I ask to be censored? Didn't you suggest that I gave no shits to either the Israelis or Palestinians?

I know exactly what happened after the palestinian group begged and "demanded" for another group to be shutdown: something that made you cry. Pissant.

We've been over this in the thread. They were asking UT to not officially sponsor the anti-palestinian, pro-zionist group that was calling for Palestinian genocide. That is the speech that I am inferring that you wanted to see, mainly because you're so happy to see their opposition met with outrageous violence. 

There is an important distinction between being not allowed to say anything at all and being teakettled in a designated public discourse space, and between wanting UT to not endorse pro-genocide speech. Nobody was trying to silence the pro-zionist speech, they just didn't want it wearing a UT logo. 

And yet, you choose to not see this key distinction and instead lean on name calling to attempt to derail the thread. 

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Was it not you that started the name calling?

I think the worst "name calling" I've done in this thread is calling someone a boomer, unless you think calling someone who is supporting fascism a "fascism supporter" is a bad thing?

If you'd like to litigate my posts so that you can distract from the fascist attack on our campus, let's take it to another thread so we don't derail the focus on what happened at Texas on Wednesday. 

Which to be clear, was a fascist crackdown on free speech simply because the State did not like the content of that speech. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

I see no harm in falling back on the law vs. your opinion. But if we fall back on the law, legal, undeniable proof is necessary (I don't even know what is admissible - video, audio, a non-friend witness). Then there are courts, attorneys, jurors, publicity - with no significant gain for the public or the individual attacked if a case is tried and won. I just don't see that going anywhere.

And as we know each person has a different threshold for intimation. Young women are especially having a problem with this. Young athletic, cocky men don't have a problem until they grow up and put their kids put into such environments.

And of course when we sit behind the law, it kind of protects us from doing nothing and answering the question of when we should feel worthless for not standing up. And I should point out that the protestors are not monolithic. As we know the protests have outside support and outside supporters with specific agendas. Some people are clearly anti-Israel but some are antisemitic. There is very clearly a blend between the two. Separating the two isn't very easy.

It has caused me to lose sleep. I'm not worried about my boys. I'm not worried about myself. But, I see, and my friends from college and beyond see, dangerous trends in the world. It is easy to say, oh it is just about Israel. But when you are in the thick of it, you know that just isn't true. Unfortunately, not even close to the truth. The bright side is that the conflict in Israel will die down temporarily and so will the protests. Of course, when we have to deal with a nuclear Iran, all this will come back with a vengeance.

You see what you want to see because you ingest the propaganda a spoonful at a time.   The world is going to hell unlike the old times (When I was an ignorant kid, and people were more noble).  This was a sentiment from the Canterbury Tales.  I guess our world is much worse than the late 1300s.  Right?   Fear is your only guide.  

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Captainant said:

We've been over this in the thread. They were asking UT to not officially sponsor the anti-palestinian, pro-zionist group that was calling for Palestinian genocide. That is the speech that I am inferring that you wanted to see, mainly because you're so happy to see their opposition met with outrageous violence. 

There is an important distinction between being not allowed to say anything at all and being teakettled in a designated public discourse space, and between wanting UT to not endorse pro-genocide speech. Nobody was trying to silence the pro-zionist speech, they just didn't want it wearing a UT logo. 

And yet, you choose to not see this key distinction and instead lean on name calling to attempt to derail the thread. 

This is not a court of law.  Nobody is debating the legal merits of any one group shutting down the other.

This is a discussion thread. I am discussing the humor in one group, just months before, wanting a shut down, and later getting shut down, just in the unintended way.

You are not the thread police. You are not an appointed judge. You are a little activist LARPer.  Stay mad.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

This is a discussion thread. I am discussing the humor in one group, just months before, wanting a shut down, and later getting shut down, just in the unintended way.

Yes, I know you take joy in seeing protesters brutalized, and ideally, shot in the streets. I too posted on surly in 2020. I just think it's disgusting to take joy in seeing it done to the Texas student body to appease a fascist movement. Especially when the same governor """standing up to antisemitism""" had no problems with no shit neonazis marching down congress wearing facemasks to demonstrate on the state capital. 

It puts the lie to their bullshit statement they released yesterday that is eagerly being mindlessly repeated by useful idiots. 

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

You are not the thread police. You are not an appointed judge. You are a little activist LARPer.  Stay mad.

Ok and you stay happy about this, ya sick fuck

17 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Are you asking Republicans to think critically and give an honest answer as to why two of their talking points are contradictory?

IIt's a reasonable request, but ou will stop sucking before you get a thoughtful response.

Chief Ouray, I wish you were just a little bit smarter so you could understand how negging this post, but not being able to offer any counterargument, 100% proves the point.  Please don't breed.

There is a weird visceral reaction that some have when they see students protest.  I tend to think it is because they are younger, better looking, and have free time.   

We have posters advocating for cracking skulls because a crime could be committed.   And of course they are OK with it, because the don't like the message and because it isn't their family.   

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

We have posters advocating for cracking skulls because a crime could be committed.   And of course they are OK with it, because the don't like the message and because it isn't their family.   

and just like has been the discourse of a great many things since 2020 (in particular), it's time we take back ground from the(se) dumb people among us

Edited by mdleast

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

There is a weird visceral reaction that some have when they see students protest.  I tend to think it is because they are younger, better looking, and have free time.   

I think it's mostly that about half of this country is so solidly in the "Murka!  Greatest country on Earf can do no wrong, and if you don't love it here, you can giiiit out!" camp that *any* argument to the contrary cannot be understood or processed.  Us good, you bad.  Any cognitive dissonance arising from that standpoint must be immediately cleansed at nearest echo chamber.

And every college student is a member of the intellectual elite, of course.

Also, they have a military and paramilitary boner and they like to see it used.  On anyone.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I think it's mostly that about half of this country is so solidly in the "Murka!  Greatest country on Earf can do no wrong, and if you don't love it here, you can giiiit out!" camp that *any* argument to the contrary cannot be understood or processed.  Us good, you bad.  Any cognitive dissonance arising from that standpoint must be immediately cleansed at nearest echo chamber.

Also, they have a military and paramilitary boner and they like to see it used.  On anyone.

Cognitive dissonance requires cognitive function.   There is no evidence of that, just rote memorization and reactionary bias towards youth.   

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Stop saying ‘half’.  It only validates their idiocy.  They are 35% of the adult population. That’s it.  That’s all they are. 

also dibs on ‘paramilitary boner’ for band name.  

33 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You see what you want to see because you ingest the propaganda a spoonful at a time.   The world is going to hell unlike the old times (When I was an ignorant kid, and people were more noble).  This was a sentiment from the Canterbury Tales.  I guess our world is much worse than the late 1300s.  Right?   Fear is your only guide.  

I never thought about it but I think you are correct. Maybe the jewish community is delusional. Have you thought about presenting your thoughts to the Anti-defimation League?

How the surge in antisemitism is affecting countries around the world

By Reuters
October 31, 202310:25 AM CDTUpdated 6 months ago

The following are details of how the surge is affecting countries, compiled by Reuters reporters around the world:

UNITED STATES

Jewish advocacy group the Anti-Defamation League reported last week that antisemitic incidents had risen by about 400% in the two weeks following the Oct. 7 attack, compared with the same period last year.

Government officials met American-Jewish leaders on Monday to discuss steps to counter what a White House official described as an alarming uptick in reported instances of antisemitism on university campuses.

After a man screaming "Free Palestine" and "Kill Jews" attempted to break into a Jewish family's home in Los Angeles on Oct. 25, Mayor Karen Bass said police would continue stepping up patrols in communities throughout the city.

CANADA

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke on Oct. 17 of a "scary rise" in antisemitism in Canada, citing incidents at a Jewish high school in Toronto as well as escalating inflammatory language online.

ARGENTINA

Scarred by two attacks in the 1990s on the Israeli embassy and on a Jewish community centre, which killed over 100 people in total, Argentine Jewish leaders have been advising community members to exercise caution and increase vigilance.

A well-known Jewish school in Buenos Aires asked pupils not to wear their usual uniforms, while some teams pulled out of a table tennis competition being held at a Jewish club for fear it could be targeted.
Local media reported last week an Argentine man was arrested after calling on social media platform 4chan for attacks on Jewish children in schools.

BRAZIL

Jewish leaders have noticed a rise in antisemitic discourse online, and incidents such as graffiti defacing a synagogue in Rio de Janeiro. No instances of physical threats or assaults have been reported.

"We are very concerned. We have increased the security of our institutions," said Ricardo Berkiensztat, executive president of the Jewish Federation of the State of Sao Paulo.
He said he had seen comments online such as "Hitler didn't finish, he should have finished killing Jews".

BRITAIN

London's police force said there had been a 14-fold increase in incidents of antisemitism since the Oct. 7 attack.
The Community Security Trust, which collates reports of antisemitism in Britain, said the number of incidents in the three weeks following the attack was the highest for any three-week period since it started collecting data in 1984.

FRANCE

Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said on Monday that since Oct. 7 there had been 819 antisemitic acts. That compares with a figure of 436 for the whole of 2022.
Darmanin said there had been 414 arrests in connection with this trend.

GERMANY

A survey by a civil society observatory, the RIAS, found a 240% year-on-year increase in antisemitic incidents in the period of Oct. 7-15.

NETHERLANDS

No official figures are available yet, but Eddo Verdoner, national coordinator for combating antisemitism, said a sharp rise had been observed and anxiety was high in the Jewish community.
He said Jewish parents had reported their children had been harassed at school, with comments such as "Hamas were right" and "they should have done it earlier" directed at them.

SOUTH AFRICA

The number of antisemitic incidents in October is nine times higher than the average recorded for that month over the past decade, according to David Saks, associate director of the South African Jewish Board of Deputies.
In one incident, a woman who shared a link to information about a protest calling for the release of Israeli hostages being held in Gaza was abused online, including a post that said "we'll come for her babies next".

RUSSIA

After an angry crowd stormed an airport in the Dagestan region searching for Jews to harm after a plane arrived from Tel Aviv, the president of Russia's Federation of Jewish Communities called on the authorities to harshly punish the organisers.
Rabbi Alexander Boroda said the airport riot "undermined the basic foundations of our multi-cultural and multi-national state".

CHINA

No figures are available on antisemitic incidents. On Oct. 13, a staff member of the Israeli embassy in Beijing was assaulted and a suspect was arrested.
Chinese social media is awash with antisemitic content, including posts suggesting the Nazi Holocaust was justified and likening Jews to parasites, vampires or snakes.
A foreign ministry spokesperson said the law prohibited the use of the internet to propagate hate speech, but there were no discernible efforts by the authorities to curb antisemitic activity online.

Perhaps, now is the time to give everyone a thumbs up for their contributions to bringing the Cloak Room to the Daily Texan. Nice job all around guys.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I never thought about it but I think you are correct. Maybe the jewish community is delusional. Have you thought about presenting your thoughts to the Anti-defimation League?

By Reuters

The following are details of how the surge is affecting countries, compiled by Reuters reporters around the world:

UNITED STATES

Jewish advocacy group the Anti-Defamation League reported last week that antisemitic incidents had risen by about 400% in the two weeks following the Oct. 7 attack, compared with the same period last year.

Government officials met American-Jewish leaders on Monday to discuss steps to counter what a White House official described as an alarming uptick in reported instances of antisemitism on university campuses.

After a man screaming "Free Palestine" and "Kill Jews" attempted to break into a Jewish family's home in Los Angeles on Oct. 25, Mayor Karen Bass said police would continue stepping up patrols in communities throughout the city.

CANADA

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke on Oct. 17 of a "scary rise" in antisemitism in Canada, citing incidents at a Jewish high school in Toronto as well as escalating inflammatory language online.

ARGENTINA

Scarred by two attacks in the 1990s on the Israeli embassy and on a Jewish community centre, which killed over 100 people in total, Argentine Jewish leaders have been advising community members to exercise caution and increase vigilance.

A well-known Jewish school in Buenos Aires asked pupils not to wear their usual uniforms, while some teams pulled out of a table tennis competition being held at a Jewish club for fear it could be targeted.
Local media reported last week an Argentine man was arrested after calling on social media platform 4chan for attacks on Jewish children in schools.

BRAZIL

Jewish leaders have noticed a rise in antisemitic discourse online, and incidents such as graffiti defacing a synagogue in Rio de Janeiro. No instances of physical threats or assaults have been reported.

"We are very concerned. We have increased the security of our institutions," said Ricardo Berkiensztat, executive president of the Jewish Federation of the State of Sao Paulo.
He said he had seen comments online such as "Hitler didn't finish, he should have finished killing Jews".

BRITAIN

London's police force said there had been a 14-fold increase in incidents of antisemitism since the Oct. 7 attack.
The Community Security Trust, which collates reports of antisemitism in Britain, said the number of incidents in the three weeks following the attack was the highest for any three-week period since it started collecting data in 1984.

FRANCE

Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said on Monday that since Oct. 7 there had been 819 antisemitic acts. That compares with a figure of 436 for the whole of 2022.

GERMANY

A survey by a civil society observatory, the RIAS, found a 240% year-on-year increase in antisemitic incidents in the period of Oct. 7-15.

NETHERLANDS

No official figures are available yet, but Eddo Verdoner, national coordinator for combating antisemitism, said a sharp rise had been observed and anxiety was high in the Jewish community.
He said Jewish parents had reported their children had been harassed at school, with comments such as "Hamas were right" and "they should have done it earlier" directed at them.

SOUTH AFRICA

The number of antisemitic incidents in October is nine times higher than the average recorded for that month over the past decade, according to David Saks, associate director of the South African Jewish Board of Deputies.
In one incident, a woman who shared a link to information about a protest calling for the release of Israeli hostages being held in Gaza was abused online, including a post that said "we'll come for her babies next".

RUSSIA

After an angry crowd stormed an airport in the Dagestan region searching for Jews to harm after a plane arrived from Tel Aviv, the president of Russia's Federation of Jewish Communities called on the authorities to harshly punish the organisers.
Rabbi Alexander Boroda said the airport riot "undermined the basic foundations of our multi-cultural and multi-national state".

CHINA

No figures are available on antisemitic incidents. On Oct. 13, a staff member of the Israeli embassy in Beijing was assaulted and a suspect was arrested.
Chinese social media is awash with antisemitic content, including posts suggesting the Nazi Holocaust was justified and likening Jews to parasites, vampires or snakes.
A foreign ministry spokesperson said the law prohibited the use of the internet to propagate hate speech, but there were no discernible efforts by the authorities to curb antisemitic activity online.

Perhaps, now is the time to give everyone a thumbs up for their contributions to bringing the Cloak Room to the Daily Texan. Nice job all around guys.

Stop insisting that what happened at Texas on Wednesday was about antisemitism. You are doing abbott's propaganda work for him. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I think it’s pretty plain. Most of us have observed that the horseshoe theory on antisemitism is in play: we have a strong strain of it on the right, including among sitting members of Congress, advising members of the Texas state govt, Nazis marching, etc. And we see it on the left, as there is an undeniable strain of it present among SOME of the pro-Palestine crowd.

What’s clear is that when our state leadership says “we won’t tolerate anti-semitism,” what they MEAN is “we won’t tolerate anti-semitism from the left….but from the right, it’s a-ok, because we need those votes.” They’ve made that fucking transparent as hell.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Skipper said:

I'm pushing back on the thought that it was a mistake to prepare for the possibility the same thing could happen at Texas that has happened elsewhere.

That's not what happened.  You keep missing the point.  Hartzell & The Goons weren't "preparing for the possibility" that something might happen, they used force to make sure it COULDN'T happen, and violated many people's rights in doing so.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

By Reuters

UNITED STATES

CANADA

ARGENTINA

BRAZIL

BRITAIN

FRANCE

GERMANY

NETHERLANDS

SOUTH AFRICA

RUSSIA

CHINA

What does this have to with the subject of this thread? Start another thread for discussion of the increase in antisemitism and let’s discuss there. It’s a timely and important topic to discuss, but that’s not what this thread is about.

• Hook 'Em 1