Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

Fuck you, Henry Cuellar

Many of the representatives who came out most forcefully against Ocasio-Cortez have close ties to oil and gas, especially Cuellar. But perhaps more important was Cuellar’s personal opposition to AOC, as evidenced by his statement. Ocasio-Cortez backed Cuellar’s primary challenger, 27-year-old progressive Jessica Cisneros, in March’s primary. Cuellar won narrowly, with backing from the Koch political network and some last-minute campaigning from Speaker Pelosi herself, despite the fact that Cuellar regularly votes against the Democratic caucus and has routinely fundraised for Republicans. According to multiple people familiar with the proceedings, Ocasio-Cortez’s recent interview with The Intercept, where she said Speaker Pelosi needed to go, though there was no one to replace her, loomed over the proceedings.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

The end of NYC is always nigh. But at the end of the day, young finance people don't want to live in suburbia and eat affordable meals at Applebee's surrounded by a bunch of middle class families.  They dont even want to live in more affordable parts of NYC or eat at more affordable restaurants there. 

And people are already tired of only working from home. The fact that all remote work is possible doesn't mean that all remote work is desirable or even reasonably healthy.

The solution to the current tax and infrastructure situation is more simple. Pass the HEROES act to balance the budget. Bring back SALT deductions and cut federal income tax to the bone and increase state and local taxes since they are the only ones willing to fund any infrastructure. Our real problem isn't that we are overtaxed by NY. It's that we get zero return on our extremely high federal tax burden.  Personally, I would rather pay to fund the MTA and NYC DoE than some Kentucky pork project or a foreign war.  And maybe Kentuckians would like to fund their own schools too if FIT is lowered. 

In talking with my friends in the city, we all are ok paying the higher taxes if we really felt like we got something for our money.  I pay a fuck ton of taxes, and they are not picking up the trash, crime is up, and the MTA is a shitshow.  Let's be fair, both NY State and NY City have their own issues with misuse (DeBlasio's wife and the missing Billion) just like the Feds to.  The problem is now, people are moving out, and the people replacing them are not making as much.  So for NYC, income flight is real.  

I am still here, and I have not written off the city.  But the State and City need people with good ideas, not Cuomo and DeBlasio.  They are not going to be the ones to lead the state and city in its recovery.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:59 AM, washparkhorn said:

Don't tell me - show me the policy that concerns you and how it supports your argument. 

(player arguing balls and strikes with ump). Still 0-2.

Don't you usually get thrown out of the game for arguing balls and strikes?

9 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Don't you usually get thrown out of the game for arguing balls and strikes?

Rule 8 provides discretion to the umpire to give one warning before ejection.  Three strikes is an objective measure and puts emphasis on the batter's free will to do the right thing.

With the design update and dark mode - the ignore feature is powerful.  The new ignore notification looks like an edit message in the prior post.

I wish we could make the ignore forum-specific (i.e., there are some posters whose political positions are ignore-worthy but the rest of their posts outside the political realm are A-1 Surly good), but . . . 

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Grassroots politicians helping humans in the field (total number less than 10 in Congress) get a pass on the general rule for me. 

Fuck that subjective noise. The criteria are clean. She is taking a shot from somebody at higher risk. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

lol, y'all will get bent out of shape over anything, won't you? it doesn't take logical contortion to make an argument that those in charge of keeping our government going - during a pandemic and on the cusp of a depression - should probably be in front of joe blow's like me. I can easily wrap my fee-fees around that one. Essential workers? Maybe, maybe not - maybe go fuck yourself. But we're talking 535 doses out of millions. I have less of a problem with someone like AOC getting a vaccine when she has been doing nothing but pushing safe, accurate messaging. She's done her part to save lives. Rubio (and the many like him), on the other hand, not so much. Not sure you can draw an equitable line in the sand there. Just give it to them all and move the fuck on. There really are bigger things to worry about here.

• Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Fuck that subjective noise. The criteria are clean. She is taking a shot from somebody at higher risk. 

DC cocktail fundraising circuit Covid prevention is not the same as Member of Congress helping vulnerable constituents in the field. 

But I understand your point on the optics.  

Edited by washparkhorn

lol, y'all will get bent out of shape over anything, won't you? it doesn't take logical contortion to make an argument that those in charge of keeping our government going - during a pandemic and on the cusp of a depression - should probably be in front of joe blow's like me. I can easily wrap my fee-fees around that one. Essential workers? Maybe, maybe not - maybe go fuck yourself. But we're talking 535 doses out of millions. I have less of a problem with someone like AOC getting a vaccine when she has been doing nothing but pushing safe, accurate messaging. She's done her part to save lives. Rubio (and the many like him), on the other hand, not so much. Not sure you can draw an equitable line in the sand there. Just give it to them all and move the fuck on. There really are bigger things to worry about here.

Leading by example, demonstrating that you are in the shit WITH the troops, is symbolic....and really important.

We apparently have zero leaders who are able to do that anymore. Not congresscritters, mayors, governors....anyone.

She’s not fucking essential. I like her. I respect her. But she blew a chance to demonstrate real selfless leadership here.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Leading by example, demonstrating that you are in the shit WITH the troops, is symbolic....and really important.

We apparently have zero leaders who are able to do that anymore. Not congresscritters, mayors, governors....anyone.

She’s not fucking essential. I like her. I respect her. But she blew a chance to demonstrate real selfless leadership here.

guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I really don't think it's that big of a deal and I can see a lot of arguments for her getting it before a lot of others. but I can also see yours. I fall in the middle and I really, really don't think it's that big of a deal either way (in her case)

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I really don't think it's that big of a deal and I can see a lot of arguments for her getting it before a lot of others. but I can also see yours. I fall in the middle and I really, really don't think it's that big of a deal either way (in her case)

This is probably where I'm at too, though people that actively pretended this wasn't a big deal like Ron fucking Johnson should be at the BACK of the line.  After everyone.  Hey fuckstick, you said it wasn't a big deal.  Guess you get to wait.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The value AOC provides in publicly getting the vaccination outstrips the "jump the line" concern by a country mile.

Some of you bitches will . . .  bitch about anything.

Hell, I'll even give hypocrites like Rubio "credit" for getting the vaccine even in context of him getting everything else wrong, all the time.  WE NEED PEOPLE TO FEEL COMFORTABLE GETTING THE FUCKING VACCINE.  Stop overthinking it.

I just want the people who actively downplayed the virus and/or vaccines to never get it.  Is that too much to ask?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I just want the people who actively downplayed the virus and/or vaccines to never get it.  Is that too much to ask?

Yeah, I get it.  But I want thousands who might not otherwise get it to say "well, so and so got the vaccine, I guess I will", too.

Edited by jimmyjazz

minorities are rightfully suspect of public health measures, but typically need the vaccine more than surly posters simply because of the difference in jobs, and a couple of white collar workers freak out about one of the most prominent latinas in the country getting the vaccine arguably early. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

every NFL and NBA player should be on the local news getting one and the sooner the better.  misinformation and FUD about the vaccine are going to be corona's biggest friend shortly, and combatting that is going to be a huge task.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

every NFL and NBA player should be on the local news getting one and the sooner the better. misinformation and FUD about the vaccine are going to be corona's biggest friend shortly, and combatting that is going to be a huge task.

Of course, if addressing health disparities was as simple as sticking a needle in the arms of a couple basketball players things would be a lot easier. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Of course, if addressing health disparities was as simple as sticking a needle in the arms of a couple basketball players things would be a lot easier. 

i'm picking the low hanging fruit when it's there.  don't let perfect be the enemy of good and all that.

Edited by elfenix

FFS, every member of Congress is getting the vaccine because they are mostly a bunch of olds and it could seriously impact government operations and security if there was a big breakout. Not because they are influencers. 

Kudos to any politicos who publicly get the shot and try to turn down the volume of stupid in this country and set an example, regardless of which side of the aisle they are in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Look Ana, you’ve still got a long way to go to reach Jonny Sack status. I guess what I’m saying is, keep drinking.

I am sorry that your brain is so irreparably damaged that you don't realize that giving health 30 years old a C19 vaccine before we've covered the actual at risk population is indefensible.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

FFS, every member of Congress is getting the vaccine because they are mostly a bunch of olds and it could seriously impact government operations and security if there was a big breakout. Not because they are influencers. 

Kudos to any politicos who publicly get the shot and try to turn down the volume of stupid in this country and set an example, regardless of which side of the aisle they are in.

Totally fine with olds getting the vaccine and turning down the stupid in this country.  None of which contradicts the position that at risk people should be prioritized, period. 

(Maybe the captain and crew of a sinking ship should be the first to abandon ship.  You know, so that all the passengers see them setting a good example.)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The guys that have been packing my curbside orders are more essential than the DC politicians. 

Crazy talk, I know. 

Simply from an economics standpoint, I'd much rather see a photo op with one of them getting vaccinated, with AOC and her mask standing by.  Win win.

There are a zillion ways to have publicized getting the vaccine which would have allowed politicians to put "working people and people at risk" first. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Simply from an economics standpoint, I'd much rather see a photo op with one of them getting vaccinated, with AOC and her mask standing by.  Win win.

There are a zillion ways to have publicized getting the vaccine which would have allowed politicians to put "working people and people at risk" first. 

Of course, but then they don't get to skip the line in front of everyone else.  

Shocked.  Not Shocked that some of the posters here turn their head selectively deflecting with various ad hominems. 

And AOC isn't even close to the worst example.  Just the one that certain posters find some reason to rally behind. 

Edited by Anastasis

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez