Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

29 minutes ago, Cacti said:

I usually don’t do FIFY, but I’ll make an exception.

Twitter and social media in general will survive all of us.

For better or worse, like it or not (personally I hate twitter), social media is now a major part of our political system. Anybody who is going to be anybody in politics is going to have to be a master of social media. Love her or hate her or meh, AOC is a master of social media, so she is way ahead on that front.

Evolve or go extinct, boomer.

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Anybody who is going to be anybody in politics is going to have to be a master of social media.

Unfortunately this is true. My only exposure to Twitter is on Surly, and, from what I can tell, politicians and other pundits mainly use it to insult, make fun of, criticize, or lash out at some other Twitter devotee. Because of the self-imposed brevity, Twitter is a great forum for snarky, sometimes witty one-liners but it in no way contributes to a positive, political discussion.

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

AOC is a master of social media

Also true, at least according to Surly Twitter critics. I just don’t think that being a master of Trump’s preferred means of communication is a trait to be admired.

10 minutes ago, Cacti said:

Unfortunately this is true. My only exposure to Twitter is on Surly, and, from what I can tell, politicians and other pundits mainly use it to insult, make fun of, criticize, or lash out at some other Twitter devotee. Because of the self-imposed brevity, Twitter is a great forum for snarky, sometimes witty one-liners but it in no way contributes to a positive, political discussion.

Yes and no. Obviously there's a lot of idiots on Twitter, but there are some great follows as well. For example, @KevinMKruse is a Princeton professor who focuses on the history of on the modern conservative movement. He does a real good job of putting the current political situation into historical context. If you follow the right people, Twitter can be a great source of news and commentary.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The Republicans have done the same thing with her that the Democrats did with Trump. They've turned their greatest enemy into a superstar.

Their miscalculation is that Ocasio-Cortez is not like Pelosi. I don't think she'll be satisfied just staying a Representative forever and rising to Speaker while not actually getting anything done. Turning Pelosi and Feinstein into scary monsters is fine because they won't actually do anything to make you regret it. Not sure that's the case here.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The Republicans have done the same thing with her that the Democrats did with Trump. They've turned their greatest enemy into a superstar.

Their miscalculation is that Ocasio-Cortez is not like Pelosi. I don't think she'll be satisfied just staying a Representative forever and rising to Speaker while not actually getting anything done. Turning Pelosi and Feinstein into scary monsters is fine because they won't actually do anything to make you regret it. Not sure that's the case here.

I really think she has a shot at the presidency some day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hell, she'd be an improvement over most Presidents simply by virtue of being willing to work hard and learn. Agree or disagree with her policy positions there is no argument against the fact that she has worked very hard for her constituents while in office. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Think she’s a statewide winner by the end of the decade.  Probably Senate.  

Hell, she'd be an improvement over most Presidents simply by virtue of being willing to work hard and learn. Agree or disagree with her policy positions there is no argument against the fact that she has worked very hard for her constituents while in office. 

But she’s a woman. With opinions. And she tells them to you.

/republicans
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2020 at 1:53 PM, Dahobbs said:

I really think she has a shot at the presidency some day. 

When does she turn 35? I think she runs as the Progressive party candidate when it gets off the ground after the fracture that is incoming in the democratic party (win or lose)

30 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Yeah, my Marry, Fuck, Kill would go Porter, AOC, Pelosi (for no other reason than it's time to put her out to pasture - once this orange menace is gone, of course)

Well I have to disagree with you there.  Porter would drive me nuts as a spouse, and since I have to fuck the spouse, the answer is to marry AOC, fuck Pelosi (once, she has huge cans) and Kill Porter.  

On 10/31/2020 at 3:06 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Not unless Schumer is retiring. She can't beat his Cuomo coalition.  I don't see her wanting to challenge Gillibrand even though AOC could beat Gillibrand in a primary.

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Not unless Schumer is retiring. She can't beat his Cuomo coalition.  I don't see her wanting to challenge Gillibrand even though AOC could beat Gillibrand in a primary.

Chuck is basically 70.  He'd be up in 2028 when he's essentially 78.  Good time to retire...... and he sucks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Who is "they"?

Anyone with the power and influence to change the rhetoric. It doesn't matter who started the phrase, but those who want to reform police and are in a position to do so need to take control of the messaging.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/31/2020 at 2:06 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Not so fast. She isn't sure she will even remain in politics.

Is there a universe in which they’re hostile enough that we’re talking about a Senate run in a couple years?

I genuinely don’t know. I don’t even know if I want to be in politics. You know, for real, in the first six months of my term, I didn’t even know if I was going to run for re-election this year.

Really? Why?

It’s the incoming. It’s the stress. It’s the violence. It’s the lack of support from your own party. It’s your own party thinking you’re the enemy. When your own colleagues talk anonymously in the press and then turn around and say you’re bad because you actually append your name to your opinion.

I chose to run for re-election because I felt like I had to prove that this is real. That this movement was real. That I wasn’t a fluke. That people really want guaranteed health care and that people really want the Democratic Party to fight for them.

But I’m serious when I tell people the odds of me running for higher office and the odds of me just going off trying to start a homestead somewhere — they’re probably the same.

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Not so fast. She isn't sure she will even remain in politics.

Is there a universe in which they’re hostile enough that we’re talking about a Senate run in a couple years?

I genuinely don’t know. I don’t even know if I want to be in politics. You know, for real, in the first six months of my term, I didn’t even know if I was going to run for re-election this year.

Really? Why?

It’s the incoming. It’s the stress. It’s the violence. It’s the lack of support from your own party. It’s your own party thinking you’re the enemy. When your own colleagues talk anonymously in the press and then turn around and say you’re bad because you actually append your name to your opinion.

I chose to run for re-election because I felt like I had to prove that this is real. That this movement was real. That I wasn’t a fluke. That people really want guaranteed health care and that people really want the Democratic Party to fight for them.

But I’m serious when I tell people the odds of me running for higher office and the odds of me just going off trying to start a homestead somewhere — they’re probably the same.

I mean. I feel for her. But that's politics. She's absolutely not the enemy. But she's been demonized, and I'm not surprised that other party members have to resent running against their opponents and her shadow in states and precincts far away and wildly different than hers. I don't know how you solve that, but I get why she and other democrats are frustrated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Dems have a major messaging problem, IMO. 

The Dems have an inherent disadvantage. They are up against a party that runs what has consistently proven to be the most successful political platform in human history: invaders are coming to take your freedom, your jobs, and your identity.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez