Rank these sitcoms

Beau Vine

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Big Bang Theory feels like grandmother fanfiction written as an over correction to the Free Love movement of the 60’s and 70’s. My son Leonard moved to California, but he doesn’t do drugs, drink or have sex. He studies quantum physics at Caltech, loves Star Trek, and calls his mother. He’s a good boy. 

Mix in the Chuck Lorre sitcom formula and a laugh track and you have a massive hit with olds. Pick up some Comic Con fans along the way and they have a billion dollar show. 

The Chuck Lorre formula is no joke with olds. My grandmother was the most buttoned up human I’ve ever met and she loved Two and Half Men. This is despite Charlie Sheen banging and paying hookers in almost every episode in the first 3-4 seasons. 

Troof. I showed up to family thanksgiving one year and half the family was giggling about the latest episodes of big bang and 2.5 men. I told them they were all idiots.

I haven't rewatched 30 Rock in a while, but from what I remember it maintained it's fastball for the longest.  At it's peak I was a fan of Parks the most then Community/30 Rock.  Never watched the others.  Also PnR was really slow out of the gate initially.  Adam Scott basically saved that show.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I haven't rewatched 30 Rock in a while, but from what I remember it maintained it's fastball for the longest.

I just binged it, which is what motivated the thread.

I thought the last two seasons were terrible.  The story lines were usually stupid, and they took Jack's edge away and had him explore his feelings, which was never hit.

22 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

For live-action sitcoms, I'd rank Seinfeld first and everything else a far, far, far distant last.

Sitcoms are generally terrible.

st,large,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

I’m not sure how this is possible but outside of a season and a half of PnR that was binged when I had Covid the first time and was bedridden, I’ve never seen any of these episodes or shows (though the names are recognizable).

For me, Community had higher highs than any other sitcom.  Perhaps it's over all average doesn't place it at the top, but the peaks were amazing. 

I can't think of any other sitcom where I've searched for and rewatched some episodes. 

The top of my list is Remedial Chaos Theory where they roll dice to see who goes downstairs to pick up pizza. If you haven't seen it, they run through the same roll of the dice getting different numbers (different timelines). The setup is fun, but the "Darkest Timeline" is the payoff.

image.png.c8da7afe53af42a90601e29b396da3f3.png

And then ending with the "Best Timeline" where they're rocking out to Roxanne was perfect.

image.png.5968a46d44318ed122140d492823c96b.png

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/29/2024 at 3:20 PM, utee94 said:

Community

Parks and Rec excluding Season 1

Modern Family

Parks and Rec Season 1

I've made my opinion known in other threads, but Leslie Knope is one of the top 5 worst, most annoying sitcom characters of all time and Amy Poehler is an ugly little troll. There are 4  other ones in that show that I would shoot on sight. Ron Swanson is the only redeeming character.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I think people forget how funny 30 Rock was.

I like PnR a lot but it's not even a convo for me between those 2. I'd probably put 30 Rock above every live action sitcom not named Seinfeld (granted I'm a little young to have ever gotten into anything pre-Seinfeld).

*Actually - that's not true. Forgot about Arrested Development.

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I've made my opinion known in other threads, but Leslie Knope is one of the top 5 worst, most annoying sitcom characters of all time and Amy Poehler is an ugly little troll. There are 4  other ones in that show that I would shoot on sight. Ron Swanson is the only redeeming character.

You know they're just playing pretend, right?

30 Rock. 

Parks & Rec.

Community (close to being 2nd but they fucked up by not featuring more John Oliver and too much Chevy Chase which is easy to say in hindsight given where each of those two are now in comedy)

Modern Family (but yeah, it went on way too long and got redundant plots and comedic tropes).  I am genuinely surprised some of them haven't gone on to big projects though, dunno.  

Gave HIMYM and Big Bang a few watches years ago because wife's family wouldn't stop clamoring on about them.  They were both not for me, at all.  Maybe it was just too high level, but somehow I doubt it. 

Also hard to compare because they're different types of "sitcoms."  Parks & Rec and Modern Family used the 'mockumentary/side interview model.  Community was closed set.  The two shitty ones were live audience front of stage with laugh track/live audio.  30 Rock was also closed set, but relied a lot on callbacks and quick cuts to other seemingly unassociated jokes.  

It's hard to compare, but 30 Rock could be as timeless as Seinfeld one day.  

If I had to do a Mount Rushmore of comedy TV?  Seinfeld, Curb, Veep, and then it gets really fucking tough between Cheers or 30 Rock or Arrested Development.  We'll see how well 30 Rock holds up, and Arrested Development through no fault of their own got shitcanned too early so we didn't get to see how well they could sustain that clever wit...and the reboot was just 'okay' and I'm a sucker for comedic longevity.   so I suppose I'll go with Cheers for now.

Edited by YGIFS

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

If I had to do a Mount Rushmore of comedy TV?  Seinfeld, Curb, Veep, and then it gets really fucking tough between Cheers or 30 Rock or Arrested Development.  We'll see how well 30 Rock holds up, and Arrested Development through no fault of their own got shitcanned too early so we didn't get to see how well they could sustain that clever wit...and the reboot was just 'okay' and I'm a sucker for comedic longevity.   so I suppose I'll go with Cheers for now.

I'd put Frasier in the discussion. 

• Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, Covri said:

IASIP 

image.gif.6b2cc327d25a43225ab567a31b67b757.gif

Fuck... forgot about this one, too. 

30 Rock may still be in my top 5.

Seinfeld

Arrested Development

IAS

30 Rock

Curb

Probably something like that. Also forgot about Reno 911.

Is Eastbound and Down a "sitcom"? Not really sure it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What's "IAS"?

Eastbound & Down, like most HBO short-form comedy series, isn't necessarily a "sit-com", but most funny shows aren't anymore so I'd lump them in as eligible.  The live studio-audience/laugh track, on-set 3 camera deal has been dead for years.  E&D was beyond hilarious, but it burned itself out, which is understandable given the arc of the main character.  Seinfeld, Cheers, Curb, 30Rock they were all incredibly clever, hilarious (Cheers even had heart to boot), and just delivered time and time again year after year after year after year.  There were shorter run shows that were maybe just as funny at their peak, but to deliver those kinda high-level laughs for a decade or more.  People don't understand how hard that is to do with a rotating writer's room.  

A current running example would be "Only Murders."  Very smart and dry but goofy at the same time.  But by the nature of its premise and aging of the stars, it probably won't run but one more season.  It's best episodes are some of the best high-level comedy I've seen in years, and they know that---so while it's an absolutely pause-worthy because I'm crying laughing type of show, it simply won't have the staying power of some of the others we're discussing.  Nothing wrong with that.  Sometimes when you nail the half-court shot, best to just get subbed out and sit in your glory for awhile.  

1 hour ago, Covri said:

IASIP 

image.gif.6b2cc327d25a43225ab567a31b67b757.gif

My Top 5 sitcoms:

Sunny

Parks

Curb

Seinfeld

Arrested Development

If Trailer Park Boys is a sitcom, it probably bumps AD.  Or I'd just merge Curb and Seinfeld cause it's all Larry David.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gotcha, never saw it truncated like that.  Usually just "Always Sunny."  Yeah, that show is hilarious but has had some crap episodes.  But I think I read somewhere that with its next episode, it'll the longest running comedy show in history (in terms of # of episodes, not necessarily seasons or calendar years).  That's not nothing.  I'm gonna back and binge watch it someday when I have the time.  

Another one that didn't really fit the "sitcom" model was "Bored to Death" on HBO.  Kinda reminds me of "Only Murders" in that the 'mystery' aspect of it is only made more subtly amplified by the goofy, but congenial cast trio who play it so absurdly deadpan that you can't really put into a comedy pigeonhole.  they are both just beautiful to watch and chuckle, and then out of the blue, fall over laughing so hard.  

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Gotcha, never saw it truncated like that.  Usually just "Always Sunny."  Yeah, that show is hilarious but has had some crap episodes.  But I think I read somewhere that with its next episode, it'll the longest running comedy show in history (in terms of # of episodes, not necessarily seasons or calendar years).  That's not nothing.  I'm gonna back and binge watch it someday when I have the time.  

Another one that didn't really fit the "sitcom" model was "Bored to Death" on HBO.  Kinda reminds me of "Only Murders" in that the 'mystery' aspect of it is only made more subtly amplified by the goofy, but congenial cast trio who play it so absurdly deadpan that you can't really put into a comedy pigeonhole.  they are both just beautiful to watch and chuckle, and then out of the blue, fall over laughing so hard.  

They're 16 seasons deep.  Of course there's some crap episodes.

When it's on, it's at a level of funny that even Larry David can't pull off.  The 5th season of Sunny is the funniest season of any television show, ever, IMO.  It was just straight heaters.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just rewatched 30 Rock last month and it is so fast.  Like 15 jokes per minute fast sometimes.  I was always stopped what I was doing to watch Jack be Jack, but Tracy is annoying as shit.  Still a great show.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I was always stopped what I was doing to watch Jack be Jack, but Tracy is annoying as shit. 

Totally agree. Tracy was pure cringe when he was on. But when you think about it, he was perfect for the role of no talent annoying star that gave zero fucks about anyone and demanded everyone kiss his ass. Jane Krakowski was the talented, but insecure star that gave zero fucks until she wanted attention. Again, a perfect fit.

I really want to say that Arrested Development is the GOAT sitcom. The first three seasons really are funnier than any three-season stretch of any show ever. But the newer seasons were absolutely awful and Lobo is right that three seasons just can't compete with 7 seasons of Veep or 12 seasons of Curb.

21 hours ago, Deej said:

30 Rock slipped one of the greatest jokes ever on to network TV.

lemon-party-30rock.gif

Ludachristmas was the name of the episode. Now, are you in or out of  this Disney cruise?

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think people forget how funny 30 Rock was.

I like PnR a lot but it's not even a convo for me between those 2. I'd probably put 30 Rock above every live action sitcom not named Seinfeld (granted I'm a little young to have ever gotten into anything pre-Seinfeld).

*Actually - that's not true. Forgot about Arrested Development.

Baldwin got the Emmy for that scene.

Also 30 had an incredible list of guest stars and semi regulars.

Alan Alda, Rip Torn, Tim Conway, Carrie Fischer, Steve Martin, AL Gore, Condoleezza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, Jennifer Aniston, Bryan Cranston, NBC News crew, Betty White, all of Liz's boyfriends and Jack's girlfriends, James Franco, Jerry Seinfeld, Conan, Oprah, Paul McCartney, LL Cool J, Tom Hanks, Whoopi, Paul Giamatti, Emma Stone etc.

The best ones were when the guest star played a fictional character rather than just themselves.

With all the different scenarios and things going on in NYC, they could have kept that show going forever.

It gets better every time I rewatch it. For comparison, I was a big fan of Lost during its run, but I have no desire to go back and watch any of it.

Probably my favorite sitcom of all time with Arrested Development.

To me, Modern Family and PNR were just different takes on the Office.

Growing up and into my 30s, I feel really fortunate to have seen such groundbreaking sit com formats with such talented casts.

MASH to Cheers to Seinfeld to The Office to Arrested Development to 30 Rock. There is a lot of great stuff in between, but the above shows reinvented the format and executed it with generational talent, writing, and timelessness.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

I hate having to rank thinks that are hard to distinguish, so tiers.

Community/Parks n Rec/30 Rock (All terrific all time greats)

Modern Family (never took a deep dive into this one but the ones I’ve seen were pretty good)

HIMYM (really enjoyed the first few seasons then it went downhill and at this point I feel kinda guilty for liking it at the time because it’s pretty lame on rewatch)

Big Bang Theory is pure trash, only saw a few episodes and they were awful.

That said, Aways Sunny dominates them all, and Arrested Development is in the top tier above. I’m a Seinfeld fan but it’s hard to rank because on rewatch I still like it but it has a lot of flaws. The best of that show however is top tier.

Edited by 'stache

On 4/30/2024 at 9:24 AM, irishtexan said:

Community at its peak was the best, but Community didn't sustain it over the lifetime of the series.

So overall I'd go Parks & Rec, Community, 30 Rock. Gap to Modern Family. Gap to HIMYM, and then I never watched Big Bang Theory.

On 4/30/2024 at 10:32 AM, Frank The Tank said:

Yeah, some of you are really sleeping on Community. At its peak, it was excellent. 

Peak Community was absolutely awesome. I also think season 5-6 were underrated considering the limitations they were working with.

On 4/30/2024 at 2:34 PM, Post Oak said:

It really was. Plus 

dibbu.gif

5692769732_d436b3caab_o.gif

Community - Never get tired of re-watching Season 1-5 (yes even the gas leaks season). I love all the characters, the themes, the positive lessons throughout the shows, and the character growth as they aged. The way the show weaves storylines through its characters is so well done, it makes episodes feel satisfying. Can't wait for the movie to put the cherry on top of it all, maybe if it does well they make a trilogy. I could watch them play D&D in this world for hours!

30 Rock - Smart, witty, entertaining characters and dialogue, really easy to rewatch. 

Parks and Rec - I liked a lot of this show, but there were characters and parts that bug me. The first season and the last 1-2 were pretty weak overall, but lots of good stuff in its prime. 

Big Bang Theory - I enjoy the nerd-face and the comedy that slap on it. It's cheap, low effort and hollow, but it's a Chuck Lorre sitcom, so that should be expected. 

Modern Family - Ehhh, never found this show to be all that hilarious. I watched it for a couple seasons when it started back in 2009 well before I had kids, so maybe watching it now would make me appreciate it more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/29/2024 at 11:19 AM, Beau Vine said:

30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, Community, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation

parks, 30 rock, and community (s1-3) are in one class, then himym and the early seasons of MF are in the next class, followed by the latter seasons of community, then a big gap, then the latter seasons of MF, then 50 feet of crap, then BBT.

• Drool 1