Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

14 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Perhaps, but I think the two week window is for agreeing on the buy-out of his contract.  I don't think Urban survives this, not at OSU.  Unless more things come out, a la Briles, Urban will find coaching work again at a Power 5 school.  

Yeah, take a year off to sun and fun (he's done it before), then go back as a proven winner at 20-25% more than his current contract (reportedly @7mm).

34 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Perhaps, but I think the two week window is for agreeing on the buy-out of his contract.  I don't think Urban survives this, not at OSU.  Unless more things come out, a la Briles, Urban will find coaching work again at a Power 5 school.  

Man, I really don't think they're going to fire him at this point. You 73-8 and all.

39 minutes ago, woohorn said:

If Mrs. Smith was not an employee, why would Mrs. Meyer have a reporting obligation?

Everyone mentions that Title IX as "possible" reporting obligation, but "probably" under general univ. rules and I obviously don't get it.

Does any employee have to report any accusation against any other employee (Mr.Smith)? Sounds pretty broad.

From above:

"Shelley Meyer, a state employee.

Shelley Meyer could have violated the school’s Sexual Misconduct Policy and potentially Title IX, if she did not notify her supervisor of Courtney Smith’s repeated abuse."

Common sense?  Sense of morality and decency?  Nightengale Pledge?

And no, you don't have to report any accusation against another employee.  But there may be something whereby employees should feel compelled to report if they feel there was a real and present criminal act that took place or could take place by another on staff.  I have no idea what the employee handbook says in Ohio though, so perhaps not.

• Like 1

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/the-eleven-dubcast/2018/08/95033/eleven-dubcast-a-quiet-offseason-is-flipped-on-its-head-as-a-firestorm-emerges-around-urban-meyer

If you're looking for levity from Ohio State fans who aren't mouth-breathers (both of them), this podcast is very good.  You may disagree with their conclusions, but their logic is solid.  

• Like 1

That's their take.  Also.  He zones in pretty hard, and it's POSSIBLE he didn't know; but come on.  Keeping/firing him comes down to the University deciding to/not to, eat the shit and degrade our brand.  Les Wexner was mentioned.  In addition to the hundreds of millions of dollars he has given (a small share to the football team) he strong armed other BMD's to cough up ONE BILLION DOLLARS for the new cancer center (which carries his name.)  How much will keeping him hurt his feelings, and are you willing to do it?

What's more important?  Football or our brand and donors?  We'll know by the end of the month.  Barring new, bad, revelations, I say he's gone.  Regardless of whether he should or should not be.  He's gone.

Edited by Parliament

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

That's their take.  Also.  He zones in pretty hard, and it's POSSIBLE he didn't know; but come on.  Keeping/firing him comes down to the University deciding to/not to, eat the shit and degrade our brand.  Les Wexner was mentioned.  In addition to the hundreds of millions of dollars he has given (a small share to the football team) he strong armed other BMD's to cough up ONE BILLION DOLLARS for the new cancer center (which carries his name.)  

What's more important?  Football or our brand and donors?  We'll know by the end of the month.  Barring new, bad, revelations, I say he's gone.  Regardless of whether he should or should not be.  He's gone.

Florida was a mess when he left and he knew what was coming. He is your Art Briles. They could only protect him for so long. I don't think he will be fired, yet.

He zones in pretty hard, and it's POSSIBLE he didn't know; but come on. 

That’s a strange theory at this point given that Urban himself released a statement saying he did know and he reported it in 2015.

I’m pretty sure, and someone please correct me if I’m wrong here, but he also acknowledged knowing in 2009 and claims he and Shelley counseled the Smiths.

That leaves the best case scenario for Urban is that he knew of 2 separate isolated incidents 6 years apart, and chose to keep the wife beater on his staff a full 3 years beyond the 2nd incident. This only holds true if people are naive or willfully ignorant enough to believe there were only 2 incidents from 2009-2018 or that Urban didn’t know of the other incidents. The text messages and common sense would suggest otherwise.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Orangechipper said:

Meanwhile, Ohio State University, since last Friday, has refused to respond to multiple public record requests inquiring about the employment status of Shelley Meyer, who is a part-time instructor of clinical practice at the university’s College of Nursing.

Well, there you go.

tOSU is going to fire Shelley, not Urban.

6 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The Facebook post also has this image of Zach Smith's 2017 performance review. "Personal Matters" listed under the "Work On" section. 

38644135_2052561801434540_76632893033294

To be fair, Personal Matters is prioritized over Special Teams.

And we know that Special Teams win games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

That's their take.  Also.  He zones in pretty hard, and it's POSSIBLE he didn't know; but come on.  Keeping/firing him comes down to the University deciding to/not to, eat the shit and degrade our brand.  Les Wexner was mentioned.  In addition to the hundreds of millions of dollars he has given (a small share to the football team) he strong armed other BMD's to cough up ONE BILLION DOLLARS for the new cancer center (which carries his name.)  How much will keeping him hurt his feelings, and are you willing to do it?

Who's the top replacement target?...asking for a friend...

29 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Didn't know the other week at B1G media days.  Whatever, it was a lie.

They also posit that if he fessed up to EVERYTHING at that point he'd probably keep his job.

Seems like the way out for Urban unless it’s a multi-game suspension and he announces he will build a battered women’s shelter with his wife or some such other public pseudo apology.

I find it odd that Mack Brown is defending Urban publicly with statements such as “ he is a great father and husband””—as if he knows and as if that is relavent.

(MB was never Urban’s wife, he was Stoops wife and was beaten and raped  often by him so there’s that.)

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well.  

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

That’s a strange theory at this point given that Urban himself released a statement saying he did know and he reported it in 2015.

I’m pretty sure, and someone please correct me if I’m wrong here, but he also acknowledged knowing in 2009 and claims he and Shelley counseled the Smiths.

That leaves the best case scenario for Urban is that he knew of 2 separate isolated incidents 6 years apart, and chose to keep the wife beater on his staff a full 3 years beyond the 2nd incident. This only holds true if people are naive or willfully ignorant enough to believe there were only 2 incidents from 2009-2018 or that Urban didn’t know of the other incidents. The text messages and common sense would suggest otherwise.

Autumn of 2015 was actually 3 separate events.... only one, iirc, would be considered physical however.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

16 hours ago, Orange&White said:

72929123.jpg

From a woman, in a booth at a somewhat famous north Austin pizza establishment.

Granted, it's been about 9-10 years, but definitely since Nam.

For some reason (maybe because it's 3am and I can't sleep) i've got that scene from road trip in my head where they're in the sperm donor clinic and the skinny guy is all "I had sex last night... WITH a girl!"

8 hours ago, El Squared said:

Seems like the way out for Urban unless it’s a multi-game suspension and he announces he will build a battered women’s shelter with his wife or some such other public pseudo apology.

I find it odd that Mack Brown is defending Urban publicly with statements such as “ he is a great father and husband””—as if he knows and as if that is relavent.

(MB... was beaten and raped  often by him so there’s that.)

Not sure you can call it "rape" if you don't put up a fight... can you?

12 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I think we can move this past OSU having the contractual/legal obligation to fire UM.  Really what this has evolved into is the public is asking "Why did UM keep this scumbag on staff?  Did he think they could keep this quiet enough to not draw attention?"  OSU is doing their homework to figure out how much UM matters to their reputation and if they can bring in a proven winner coach that would be accepted by the people who would want UM to be retained.  UM probably did report this and Gene Smith probably said, "what do you want to do?"  When Urban said he wanted to retain zach then Gene probably said that is fine but if this blows up it is your ass and not mine (isn't this how the tressell stuff unfolded?).  Now the chickens have come to roost so the decision tree is basically this:

1. OSU can stomach the damage = Keep UM

2. OSU can't stomach the damage but there isn't a coach out there who can win quickly then they traded winning for ethics and they had a win/lose scenario.

3. OSU can find a coach who can win (stoops, maybe miles, maybe someone else) and then offloading meyer is easy.  They get to have integrity and they get to win. Win/win.

Their investigation probably consists of talking to their biggest sports and non-sports donors and talking to Stoops.  Depending on how those responses go they will choose between option 1 and 3 (most likely).

17 hours ago, woohorn said:

If Mrs. Smith was not an employee, why would Mrs. Meyer have a reporting obligation?

Everyone mentions that Title IX as "possible" reporting obligation, but "probably" under general univ. rules and I obviously don't get it.

Does any employee have to report any accusation against any other employee (Mr.Smith)? Sounds pretty broad.

From above:

"Shelley Meyer, a state employee.

Shelley Meyer could have violated the school’s Sexual Misconduct Policy and potentially Title IX, if she did not notify her supervisor of Courtney Smith’s repeated abuse."

16 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Common sense?  Sense of morality and decency?  Nightengale Pledge?

And no, you don't have to report any accusation against another employee.  But there may be something whereby employees should feel compelled to report if they feel there was a real and present criminal act that took place or could take place by another on staff.  I have no idea what the employee handbook says in Ohio though, so perhaps not.

https://hr.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/policy115.pdf

V. Reporting Allegations of Sexual Misconduct

A. Reports/complaints of alleged sexual misconduct can be made by any individual who is directly involved in, who observes, or who reasonably believes that sexual misconduct may have occurred. This includes allegations by third parties against any individual covered by this policy. See IV-Employee Duty to Report section. Note below that only some reporting methods satisfy this duty.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cafe society said:

I think more than likely, as time progresses, Ohio State will suspend Urb over the next 2 weeks...

21 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I think more than likely, as time progresses, Ohio State will suspend Urb over the next 2 weeks...

I just don't see how they can suspend him.  If the allegations were serious enough to fire Smith 3 years after the allegations then they were serious enough to do it when the allegations were originally investigated.  A suspension is basically saying "Well this is bad but only because we got caught."  That doesn't do anything to quell the matter and might even fan the flames like when PSU tried to protect people who were in the know with Sandusky.

You either have to put a stake in the ground and say that UM did everything right and OSU stands behind him or you have to say that Urban didn't do anything right and you have to fire him.  The damage control isn't really about UM, if you admit that UM didn't do anything right then why didn't Gene Smith or the admin step in.  If UM did report it then GS and the admin knew about it and they are culpable if urban should have been fired.  If they have decided to fire him then GS and the admin are probably trying to figure out how to cover their own assess right now.  I might even be surprised if Gene Smith survives this if Urban is fired.  Didn't gene know about tattoo-gate?  How can he survive 2 cover ups?

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I just don't see how they can suspend him.  If the allegations were serious enough to fire Smith 3 years after the allegations then they were serious enough to do it when the allegations were originally investigated.  A suspension is basically saying "Well this is bad but only because we got caught."  That doesn't do anything to quell the matter and might even fan the flames like when PSU tried to protect people who were in the know with Sandusky.

You either have to put a stake in the ground and say that UM did everything right and OSU stands behind him or you have to say that Urban didn't do anything right and you have to fire him.  The damage control isn't really about UM, if you admit that UM didn't do anything right then why didn't Gene Smith or the admin step in.  If they have decided to fire him then GS and the admin are probably trying to figure out how to cover their own assess right now.

Well, one thing for sure in all of this is that Greg Schiano needs to get away from that program... Now his name will be attached to the domestic violence publicity, and hinder his chance at gaining a legit head coach gig next off-season...

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

You either have to put a stake in the ground and say that UM did everything right and OSU stands behind him or you have to say that Urban didn't do anything right and you have to fire him.  The damage control isn't really about UM, if you admit that UM didn't do anything right then why didn't Gene Smith or the admin step in.  If UM did report it then GS and the admin knew about it and they are culpable if urban should have been fired.  If they have decided to fire him then GS and the admin are probably trying to figure out how to cover their own assess right now.  I might even be surprised if Gene Smith survives this if Urban is fired.  Didn't gene know about tattoo-gate?  How can he survive 2 cover ups?

Agree with this. Well said.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

From where I sit it just doesn't look like tOSU has any intention of firing Meyer.

BuckNationCargoShorts has circled the wagons. How dare you question their football coach.

Agreed. They won’t fire him. It will be just another program we laugh about and loathe. It won’t matter though, the wins and money will keep coming. It will be forgotten eventually. It might take awhile to go away, just like a black eye or a cut on the hand...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Agreed. They won’t fire him. It will be just another program we laugh about and loathe. It won’t matter though, the wins and money will keep coming. It will be forgotten eventually. It might take awhile to go away, just like a black eye or a cut on the hand...

sad but true.  they will make him sit 3 games against little mothers of the poor university and call it a day.  As a Michigan fan ive always known that OSU is a POS university now its just been confirmed.

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

We're in a new era, the #metoo era.  Most of the time, the biggest trouble is in the cover up.  However, if Meyer really did report up the chain in 2015, something he's been conflicted about in the past and Gene Smith and his staff didn't provide a robust investigation or a measured risk management recommendation/decision, then Gene Smith will be gone.  IMO, this is what is being set up.  Gene Smith will resign or be let go, Meyer will be suspended because although Smith failed in his duties, Meyer should have known better to get rid of Zach Smith in any of the preceding 3 years after and for failure to be transparent (lying).  If one agrees an improper or poor decision was made in the past, then someone has to wear it and although Meyer is the most powerful person in the Athletic Department at OSU (one of the most powerful at the University), they can hide him behind Smith, make him a scapegoat, and then slap Meyer's hands for more minor decision making mistakes.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games