Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If this is true, then it blows away any notion that Meyer had any claim to ignorance or plausible deniability for said beatings. If they were involved in the counseling, then not only did he know this was a systemic issue well beyond just two police reports, (one which he claimed not to know of until recently) but it also means he had enough information to be fully prepared for his press conference and have a better answer than just lying right to the face of the entire Big 10 media room. You can't have it both ways, dude. Either he was had plausible deniability for his complete ignorance, or he believed in second chances and was actively working to rehabilitate Smith and chose to overlook his criminal behavior for the sake of forgiveness. Which makes the lies even more egregious. So which one is it, as you've argued both in this thread.

By the way, your hinting that Meyer should keep his job because of the economic impact of many families and a region of the country several times in this thread is fucking disgusting and far beyond the pale of acceptance for any human being who considers themselves even remotely moral. Happy Valley and Waco see your point, however. 

I have never said he didn't know.  He knew.  That is very clear.  He screwed up during the press conference and gave an incorrect answer, which doesn't make any sense because he knew there was no way he could get away with lying about knowing.  He had just fired the guy over it, for Pete's sake.  He should have been prepared to answer questions about it.  He wasn't.

It's easy to put big labels on things and ignore details and march with torches and pitchforks.  This is just a big false equivalence deal, and I'm just tired of it happening all the time.

• Fuck You 8

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, but (a) Brian Kelly let a student manager die and was like “what’s the big deal, ask me about something important like how our RBs are progressing”, and (b)  there was that woman who accused a football player of rape, and it was handled by ... pressuring her so much to drop it  that she killed herself.

And he lost to a Charlie Strong-coached Texas team.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

It's easy to put big labels on things and ignore details and march with torches and pitchforks.  This is just a big false equivalence deal, and I'm just tired of it happening all the time.

It's convenient how your passion for social justice lined up with your hobby in such a timely manner.

Edited by Ricky Butler
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, but (a) Brian Kelly let a student manager die and was like “what’s the big deal, ask me about something important like how our RBs are progressing”, and (b)  there was that woman who accused a football player of rape, and it was handled by ... pressuring her so much to drop it  that she killed herself.

But regardless, congrats on the clean conscience about your football program’s morality.

Yeah, but as my buddy Kevin, a Notre Dame grad said, "Kelly let a kid die and we had a girl kill herself over a rape, but at least we now have luxury boxes!".

He said that quite sarcastically and with an air of disgust concerning his school.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:14 AM, PencilPusher said:

Had Urban said in the B1G Media Days that we had told Zach Smith to get help, we pushed him towards a program to deal with it, and told him unequivocally that any more incidents would result in his dismissal, not only would they actually have looked and acted like adults, but this issue would be gone

I made this point the other day and if that is a story that is indeed true, why didn't someone come out immediately after the media days and say that. Everyone involved at Ohio State is acting like an 11 year old who keeps covering up the fact that they accidentally broke a vase by telling all sorts of other stories (I didn't do it, the dog knocked it over, I wasn't in the room because I was in the other room watching the news, etc.). Every parent has been through this and when they keep pressing, the story keeps changing until you finally get to the truth, which wasn't a big deal. However, you punish the child not for breaking the vase but for the chain of lies, half truths, and deflections because we all believe that telling the truth is far more important than a broken vase.

If this is no big deal, then it should be over already. Problem is, adults don't want to act like adults and so folks are chasing down each angle to this story because the truth needs to come out and the people who are best in position to tell said truth are acting like that 11 year old. I don't believe in false equivalences either, but what I believe less in is adults not fucking acting like adults, especially when it comes to shit like this. 

Your move OSU.........

39 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I have never said he didn't know.  He knew.  That is very clear.  He screwed up during the press conference and gave an incorrect answer, which doesn't make any sense because he knew there was no way he could get away with lying about knowing.  He had just fired the guy over it, for Pete's sake.  He should have been prepared to answer questions about it.  He wasn't.

I take it "lie" is one of those big ugly labels you despise so much seeing as how you refuse to call his lie what it was and instead are going with "incorrect answer" over and over. What a bunch of bullshit. A lie is not an incorrect answer, it's a lie. There is a difference.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I take it "lie" is one of those big ugly labels you despise so much seeing as how you refuse to call his lie what it was and instead are going with "incorrect answer" over and over. What a bunch of bullshit. A lie is not an incorrect answer, it's a lie. There is a difference.

Even worse, he went out of his way to lie. He even called the dude who broke the news a liar for making up such a story. UM is an idiot for this and its no ones fault but his own. 

48 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

giphy.gif

I'm fascinated by the thought process displayed by this post.

Just to be clear, your contention is that Urban didn't lie on purpose because he knew he'd get caught in it, he just tripped and fell and the words, "I got a text late last night something happened in 2015. And there was nothing. Once again, there's nothing—once again, I don't know who creates a story like that." came out by accident, right?

That clearly makes a ton more sense than some guy who is used to not having his word questioned expecting no one to question his word.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

For anyone too tired from the red eye to remember,

ZS has been known (including by Meyer) to abuse his wife since at least 2009. You know, the year Obama first took office as POTUS. That 2009.

UM sent his fixer to convince CS to drop charges or else her husband would never work again.

UM developed a reputation as a liar and harborer of troublemakers at UF until he was forced into temporary retirement by fake heart disease.

ZS never coached more than one season under any other head coach before landing again on UM’s staff, where he was a plus recruiter.

ZS continued to abuse his wife with knowledge and counseling by UM.

UM kept ZS around out of loyalty and nurturing fatherly love until ZS’s dirty laundry started to air. He fired him then.

Massive electronic records document abuse, admissions by ZS of abuse, knowledge by the mom of abuse, and knowledge by SM of abuse. But nobody remembers anything.

BM asks about the issue at media days (who would expect questions there, especially about fired coaches?), and UM was so surprised that he called BM a liar, essentially.

What is this nonsense bout trouble because of a wrong answer? Discouraging a victim from pressing charges and working to maintain the status quo is tantamount to beating her one’s self. UM, to all appearances, did just that, only to throw up a cynical and disingenuous defense about second chances.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

giphy.gif

Just to be clear, your contention is that Urban didn't lie on purpose because he knew he'd get caught in it, he just tripped and fell and the words, "I got a text late last night something happened in 2015. And there was nothing. Once again, there's nothing—once again, I don't know who creates a story like that." came out by accident, right?

That clearly makes a ton more sense than some guy who is used to not having his word questioned expecting no one to question his word.

He misspoke, these days that about covers for any stupid shit people say. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

For anyone too tired from the red eye to remember,

ZS has been known (including by Meyer) to abuse his wife since at least 2009. You know, the year Obama first took office as POTUS. That 2009.

UM sent his fixer to convince CS to drop charges or else her husband would never work again.

UM developed a reputation as a liar and harborer of troublemakers at UF until he was forced into temporary retirement by fake heart disease.

ZS never coached more than one season under any other head coach before landing again on UM’s staff, where he was a plus recruiter.

ZS continued to abuse his wife with knowledge and counseling by UM.

UM kept ZS around out of loyalty and nurturing fatherly love until ZS’s dirty laundry started to air. He fired him then.

Massive electronic records document abuse, admissions by ZS of abuse, knowledge by the mom of abuse, and knowledge by SM of abuse. But nobody remembers anything.

BM asks about the issue at media days (who would expect questions there, especially about fired coaches?), and UM was so surprised that he called BM a liar, essentially.

What is this nonsense bout trouble because of a wrong answer? Discouraging a victim from pressing charges and working to maintain the status quo is tantamount to beating her one’s self. UM, to all appearances, did just that, only to throw up a cynical and disingenuous defense about second chances.

Could you post the massive electronic records for the abuse? I've still not come across this? What did he do (not Urban Legend, Zack Drunkie)?

For the record I hate this shithead since he ditched the Gators, said it was some kind of heart problem, then left for Ohio State... On the bright side it's best he is gone because they are still digging themselves out of the shitty idiot filled program he left to Muschamp and McElwain. 

3 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Here's my worthless take:  Meyer wasn't properly prepared for the press conference and he made a mistake by lying.  He appeared to be genuinely caught off guard by the question, but he shouldn't have been.  This goes to he lack of preparation.  That said, I consider the infraction - getting an answer wrong in a press conference - minor.  The mob mentality wants to pin the guy as favoring his wife-beating assistant coach over condemning domestic violence, but that's not what this is.  There's too much mob-mentality BS going on today.  I'd like to see the tide turn on that and maybe this will be the case.  If he gets fired over this I think it will be a case of tOSU catering to the mob mentality and making a PR move.  The punishment will far outweigh the crime.  A lot of people will be hurt by it, including the university and everyone associated with it; a lot of innocent people.

Meyer was asked 9 times about Smith during the presser.  Maybe he flubs the question once... maybe twice... but nine times?  Bullshit. 

25 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

We should all tell our wives and girlfriends we just misplaced our dick if we get caught fucking someone else.

Look honey I was walking around and accidentally tripped.  Luckily her pussy was there to break my dick's fall or we would be looking at a massive hospital bill.  Really you should be thanking her from preventing our economic ruin.

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

I made this point the other day and if that is a story that is indeed true, why didn't someone come out immediately after the media days and say that. Everyone involved at Ohio State is acting like an 11 year old who keeps covering up the fact that they accidentally broke a vase by telling all sorts of other stories (I didn't do it, the dog knocked it over, I wasn't in the room because I was in the other room watching the news, etc.). Every parent has been through this and when they keep pressing, the story keeps changing until you finally get to the truth, which wasn't a big deal. However, you punish the child not for breaking the vase but for the chain of lies, half truths, and deflections because we all believe that telling the truth is far more important than a broken vase.

If this is no big deal, then it should be over already. Problem is, adults don't want to act like adults and so folks are chasing down each angle to this story because the truth needs to come out and the people who are best in position to tell said truth are acting like that 11 year old. I don't believe in false equivalences either, but what I believe less in is adults not fucking acting like adults, especially when it comes to shit like this. 

Your move OSU.........

dte9aonrxnvvdvex.jpg?djet1p5k

43 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Could you post the massive electronic records for the abuse? I've still not come across this? What did he do (not Urban Legend, Zack Drunkie)?

For the record I hate this shithead since he ditched the Gators, said it was some kind of heart problem, then left for Ohio State... On the bright side it's best he is gone because they are still digging themselves out of the shitty idiot filled program he left to Muschamp and McElwain. 

text messages . a lot of text messages 

28 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

I think personally. Its going to open a lot more job opportunities and getting a couple of scum bags on the streets.

Think of all the state income tax paid at termination rather than deferred over the length of his contract. Plus it will all be sourced to OH? Great for the community!

20 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Think of all the state income tax paid at termination rather than deferred over the length of his contract. Plus it will all be sourced to OH? Great for the community!

Correct, Ole Red ass needs to look at all the positive impacts this will have to the university, community and the state. Also, there is the OSU image.

45 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Meyer was asked 9 times about Smith during the presser.  Maybe he flubs the question once... maybe twice... but nine times?  Bullshit. 

See, this is just the kind of false narrative that has been put out by the press.  I actually went back and watched most of the interview.  I didn't count how many times he was asked about Zach Smith, but it was 4-5 in the first half of the interview.  He was not asked, "Did you know about the 2015 incident?" and he answered "No."  It's not that simple.  Even his answer to the first question that created the whole mess - he said that the 2009 incident, according to the information he received, did not happen the way it was reported.  He seemed to say that he only got a text about the 2015 incident for the first time the night before the press conference (this is the part that turns out was not true b/c he knew before that) and that it was also "nothing," which I took to mean that it wasn't a clear cut situation of Zach Smith beat his wife.  And his comment about "who makes up a story like that," which was a jab at the reporter, I took to mean that the reporter said that there was a clear-cut instance of domestic abuse when it was not clear cut at all.  Not that the reporter made up the fact that there was a report of an incident in 2015.

• Fuck You 12

26 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

See, this is just the kind of false narrative that has been put out by the press.  I actually went back and watched most of the interview.  I didn't count how many times he was asked about Zach Smith, but it was 4-5 in the first half of the interview.  He was not asked, "Did you know about the 2015 incident?" and he answered "No."  It's not that simple.  Even his answer to the first question that created the whole mess - he said that the 2009 incident, according to the information he received, did not happen the way it was reported.  He seemed to say that he only got a text about the 2015 incident for the first time the night before the press conference (this is the part that turns out was not true b/c he knew before that) and that it was also "nothing," which I took to mean that it wasn't a clear cut situation of Zach Smith beat his wife.  And his comment about "who makes up a story like that," which was a jab at the reporter, I took to mean that the reporter said that there was a clear-cut instance of domestic abuse when it was not clear cut at all.  Not that the reporter made up the fact that there was a report of an incident in 2015.

This isn't some media conspiracy.  

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Your hyperbolic description of what you assume (incorrectly) to be my position notwithstanding, a lie requires intent.  Based on the actual words he spoke, the context, the follow up and everything else, I don't think he had the intent to lie about the fact that he knew of the 2015 incident before the night before the press conference.  Reasonable people can disagree about whether he had that intent or not.

1 hour ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

giphy.gif

What I'm saying is that I find it hard to believe that a guy of Urban Meyer's stature would intentionally lie about something that was so easily provable.  Maybe he did and I'm giving him too much credit.  I think he just fucked it up in the moment because he was not well-prepared.

• Fuck You 8

27 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Are you my sock?

• Haha 1

"This is a false narrative guys. I watched the interview. I didn't count the number of times he was asked the question, but it wasn't nine, no way it was nine, but I don't really know how many. Not nine. Plus I'm not counting the other related questions that basically asked the same thing but don't specifically say the name Zach Smith, so he could be talking about any incident. Like a fender bender incident, or even The Spaghetti Incident by Guns N' Roses. Guys, it's not that simple."

It's that fucking simple to anyone operating without their head willfully ostrich'd up their asshole. Also, speaking of False Narratives, there's a fuck ton of "I didn't count," "he seemed to say," "which I took to means" in that fucking paragraph. It's almost like you're attempting to play off your opinion as factual statements. 

It's actually that simple. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

It was 9 times on the media day..... in separate interview sessions.  It wasn't one singular answer which created this "whole mess", it was numerous amounts of lies he gave to the press, something he's been known to do since Florida.  Why does he lie and rebuff transparency?  Because he's never been held accountable for it.  He doesn't think he has to and wants to create whatever narrative is convenient for him at any time.  Your mental gymnastics and rampant rationalizations are hilarious.  He's at best, he's a liar, poor judge of character, and exhibits inconsistent and poor decision making skills..... At worst.... well, it would be much worse.

In front of the assembled media in Chicago, Meyer said he knew about the 2009 incident, in which Smith was arrested for aggravated battery on a pregnant victim. As for 2015? “I got a text late last night something happened in 2015,” Meyer said that day. “And there was nothing. Once again, there's nothing—once again, I don't know who creates a story like that.”

There it is: The coach flat-out denied knowing anything about 2015. He doubled down a few hours later in a smaller media session, when Cleveland.com columnist Doug Lesmerises asked the coach to clarify his earlier words. Lesmerises took Meyer through almost every element of his earlier statement, piece by piece. “I can’t say it didn’t happen because I wasn’t there,” Meyer said of the ’15 allegations. “I was never told about anything. … I never had a conversation about it.”

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

This isn't some media conspiracy.  

I never suggested it was.  It is one reporter putting out a story where the hidden headline is "Urban Meyer is a Wife-Beater Apologist."  That's what reporters do these days.  To my amazement many of you have bought it.

• Fuck You 12

21 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Your hyperbolic description of what you assume (incorrectly) to be my position notwithstanding, a lie requires intent.  Based on the actual words he spoke, the context, the follow up and everything else, I don't think he had the intent to lie about the fact that he knew of the 2015 incident before the night before the press conference.  Reasonable people can disagree about whether he had that intent or not.

What I'm saying is that I find it hard to believe that a guy of Urban Meyer's stature would intentionally lie about something that was so easily provable.  Maybe he did and I'm giving him too much credit.  I think he just fucked it up in the moment because he was not well-prepared.

Earlier in this thread, this very page, you admitted that Urban Meyer knew about everything going on, and had been involved in Smith's counseling. That means ANY lie after the fact, particularly at Big 10 media days, 100% and without fail required intent. Which makes it, but your own definition, a fucking lie. Just stop. 

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Earlier in this thread, this very page, you admitted that Urban Meyer knew about everything going on, and had been involved in Smith's counseling. That means ANY lie after the fact, particularly at Big 10 media days, 100% and without fail required intent. Which makes it, but your own definition, a fucking lie. Just stop. 

How do you not get that he could have known and just given a bad answer?

• Fuck You 14

2 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Are you suggesting it requires prep to be truthful, especially with such a critically important topic?

Character requires no prep.  Period.  Explaining it away is bullshit too. 

19 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

A bad answer? As in he fucking lied to everyone’s face because he couldn’t think of a good way to explain the fact the he kept a known abuser on staff for a decade? I don’t think you’re even on the same planet as anyone who is looking at this objectively. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

"This is a false narrative guys. I watched the interview. I didn't count the number of times he was asked the question, but it wasn't nine, no way it was nine, but I don't really know how many. Not nine. Plus I'm not counting the other related questions that basically asked the same thing but don't specifically say the name Zach Smith, so he could be talking about any incident. Like a fender bender incident, or even The Spaghetti Incident by Guns N' Roses. Guys, it's not that simple."

It's that fucking simple to anyone operating without their head willfully ostrich'd up their asshole. Also, speaking of False Narratives, there's a fuck ton of "I didn't count," "he seemed to say," "which I took to means" in that fucking paragraph. It's almost like you're attempting to play off your opinion as factual statements. 

It's actually that simple. 

Does it really matter the number of times?  The point is that he wasn't asked a clear and specific question "Did you know" over and over and therefore lied over and over.  That's what the other poster was saying and it's just not true. And you are defending that.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 12

How do you not get that a “bad answer” at best is maybe 1 time. Its MAYBE correcting yourself immediately. Its not 9 times. Its not your 4-5 times. Its not muddying the waters by questioning a reporter either explicitly or tacitly. Thats a lie. No, excuse me, THOSE are lies since it is plural. Repeated lies and doubling down. Per your willful ignorance, Urban just gave between a half dozen to a dozen really bad answers. Do you realize how fucking stupid you sound? Even Mark Furhman had the sense to plead the fifth.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

Are you suggesting it requires prep to be truthful, especially with such a critically important topic?

Character requires no prep.  Period.  Explaining it away is bullshit too. 

Not at all. I agree with you 100%.  I don't know why he didn't just come clean about the whole thing in the first place.

• Fuck You 4

4 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Here's my worthless take:  Meyer wasn't properly prepared for the press conference and he made a mistake by lying.  He appeared to be genuinely caught off guard by the question, but he shouldn't have been.  This goes to he lack of preparation.  That said, I consider the infraction - getting an answer wrong in a press conference - minor.  The mob mentality wants to pin the guy as favoring his wife-beating assistant coach over condemning domestic violence, but that's not what this is.  There's too much mob-mentality BS going on today.  I'd like to see the tide turn on that and maybe this will be the case.  If he gets fired over this I think it will be a case of tOSU catering to the mob mentality and making a PR move.  The punishment will far outweigh the crime.  A lot of people will be hurt by it, including the university and everyone associated with it; a lot of innocent people.

So exactly how many passes is Urban Meyer gonna get until we acknowledge he’s a scumbag? Caught off guard??? Really my dude? So he had no idea he was gonna get asked at media days about the long time assistant coach he just fired for domestic abuse?

20 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Not one bad answer..... multiple times he lied to the media with a straight face.  If he wasn't prepared to talk about some things, he simply could have said so or said he couldn't talk about the specific situation today but would soon.  

19 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

So exactly how many passes is Urban Meyer gonna get until we acknowledge he’s a scumbag? Caught off guard??? Really my dude? So he had no idea he was gonna get asked at media days about the long time assistant coach he just fired for domestic abuse?

I don't understand how that can happen either.  He should have been better prepared to answer questions about Zach Smith.  One possibility is that he would be potentially throwing his superiors under the bus.  He claimed that he followed protocol, which was to escalate the issue up the chain of command.  Most likely that means that he told Gene Smith, the AD, or someone else with authority about the situation and they approved the hiring and retention of Zach Smith.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 9

19 minutes ago, BERT said:

Then he's a fucking idiot. Even though you said he's not in a prior post but that apparently is just not true.

You can be a non-idiot and still fuck up an answer to a question - especially one that is confusing and very sensitive.  It's not binary.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 13

13 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I don't understand how that can happen either.  He should have been better prepared to answer questions about Zach Smith.  One possibility is that he would be potentially throwing his superiors under the bus.  He claimed that he followed protocol, which was to escalate the issue up the chain of command.  Most likely that means that he told Gene Smith, the AD, or someone else with authority about the situation and they approved the hiring and retention of Zach Smith.

See guys, it's someone elses fault. All good. 

You mean like he was perfectly comfortable doing a couple days later? Lolz. Youve got a lot of “i dont know why” and “i dont understand why” comments on this thread for someone trying to defend meyer’s honor and explain away his actions. Ironically urban would have been better off at media days if hed employed the Ojo Defense.
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Not one bad answer..... multiple times he lied to the media with a straight face.  If he wasn't prepared to talk about some things, he simply could have said so or said he couldn't talk about the specific situation today but would soon.  

I'm getting negged or whatever, but that's mostly because people don't agree with my opinions or my position that Urban Meyer is not a piece of shit.  That doesn't make me wrong.  Again, he was asked about Zach Smith multiple times, but it wasn't clear-cut questions like, "Did you know before last night about the 2015 incident involving Zach Smith and his wife?" To which he answered, "No."  I only saw one outright false statement/lie and that was when he said that he learned for the first time of the 2015 incident the night before.

• Fuck You 14

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games