2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s not about Bonney’s play. He knows the team and playbook pretty well, don’t you think?

*Not that it should matter. We should mud-hole Tech even if they sit in on game planning meetings, but it hasn’t worked out well for us without them having the entire playbook.

Or maybe we could exploit Bonney's weaknesses and tendencies in the passing game /Mensa

Oh wait, we have Tim Beck...nevermind.

That's a bit overblown as a competitive advantage, NFL teams release and trade players all the time. Sure players changing teams can help their new team out a bit versus their old one, but it usually isn't a difference maker..

And by the time UT and Tech play, there will be enough film to look at, with no need to ask Bonney much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

And by the time UT and Tech play, there will be enough film to look at without having to ask Bonney much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the time we play Tech, Herman will be calling plays so I'm not too worried about it.  

56 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol playing for tech is smart as he will probably start after a few weeks. I guess it was tech or Kansas. 

I understand that  techs best DB blew out his knee few days ago

so Bonney May just slide right in.

Edited by TexasTroll

29 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It’s not so much about Bonney’s play. It’s about giving a conference road opponent a 5th year senior who knows all of our calls and coverages. It’s not a huge advantage but it’s a silly one to give away for a program that desperately needs every win it can.

Counterpoint: Bonney's coach at Tech will be Clay Jennings.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Zavala said:

Nice, I'm going to Tusla as well. I'll be the drunk guy screaming at the officials before the game even begins.

sounds like my neighbor. when they moved in i went to his house to watch the LSU game. dude started screaming about the officiating on the opening kickoff. it got worse after that.. i tried to stay way after that. didnt talk to the dude for a month after the  Troy game last year. lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

It’s not so much about Bonney’s play. It’s about giving a conference road opponent a 5th year senior who knows all of our calls and coverages. It’s not a huge advantage but it’s a silly one to give away for a program that desperately needs every win it can.

I think the real danger is anything helping coach bro keep his job is another year before he can join the Texas staff. 

I love the fact that Herman is letting Bonney go. No true Longhorn would ever want to grad transfer to OU. Agree that if Bonney is the difference in a loss to Tech, the ship has run aground. He is a young man who has exactly one chance to play another year of college ball, and we don’t appear to have a place for him. This was the right thing to do, and it will come back to us. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Counterpoint: Bonney's coach at Tech will be Clay Jennings.

No clue how I missed this but it should scare the hell out of Tech fans. 

Not sure Tech's passing defense can get much worse but Jennings might be one of the worst position coaches in college football. Houston was 65th in passing yards allowed the year before Jennings. They finished 117th in passing yards allowed the one year with Jennings. Now there might have been some other circumstances that played a role in the drop off but I'm willing to guess Jennings was the main cause. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

I love the fact that Herman is letting Bonney go. No true Longhorn would ever want to grad transfer to OU. Agree that if Bonney is the difference in a loss to Tech, the ship has run aground. He is a young man who has exactly one chance to play another year of college ball, and we don’t appear to have a place for him. This was the right thing to do, and it will come back to us. 

I was on the other side of the fence, but you’ve changed my mind. 

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

It was the right thing to do. 

Based on everything I've read on Bonney he's been a team guy. Changed positions multiple times, had different coaches almost every year, and was never a trouble maker. Even Bonney's transfer statement was classy. 

Blocking players like Bonney creates more problems than it does anything else. 

• Like 2

If Bonney is able to get on their campus and become a starter then I am happy for the kid. He has worked his ass off and has always been a team player.  So best of luck to him.

But I wouldn't sweat it too much with him being on the opposite side of the field. I am sure the offense will probably switch up hand signals for that game. Also, Shane/Sam are getting more comfortable changing the play up at the line of scrimmage.

The team knows what are Bonneys' strength and weaknesses. If I was Herman/Beck, I would call a lot of plays that exploits his weaknesses.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm so damned ready for the season to start. I feel like it will be the first one in forever that I won't be ready for it to be over by mid-October.

me too.  i havent allowed myself to get this hopeful in 5-6 years.  we have a long history of stepping on our dicks while at the same time shooting ourselves in the foot. herman's recruiting is starting to scare me, he retained his inept offensive coordinator, we lost several players to the draft that were advised not to enter the draft.  these are all bad signs.  oh wait, did i say i was hopeful?   lots of quality depth throughout the roster, we were in some games the last couple of years that if we can keep our synapses from misfiring we would have had excellent seasons.  the close losses are uncanny.  frustrating, but it does mean we're close.

20 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

me too.  i havent allowed myself to get this hopeful in 5-6 years.  we have a long history of stepping on our dicks while at the same time shooting ourselves in the foot. herman's recruiting is starting to scare me, he retained his inept offensive coordinator, we lost several players to the draft that were advised not to enter the draft.  these are all bad signs.  oh wait, did i say i was hopeful?   lots of quality depth throughout the roster, we were in some games the last couple of years that if we can keep our synapses from misfiring we would have had excellent seasons.  the close losses are uncanny.  frustrating, but it does mean we're close.

Well if that's hopeful...I'd hate to see confident.  

• Haha 1

Where the hell is yesterday's practice report? 

I'm already over the Bonney news. Wish him well blah blah. I want to know about the QB and LT battle (although I feel like they are settled). I want to hear more about WR/DB Battles. Should Ingram starts? Should Watson? What are we doing about LB depth? Hopefully we get an injury update today also. 

"I love the fact that Herman is letting Bonney go. No true Longhorn would ever want to grad transfer to OU. Agree that if Bonney is the difference in a loss to Tech, the ship has run aground. He is a young man who has exactly one chance to play another year of college ball, and we don’t appear to have a place for him. This was the right thing to do, and it will come back to us."

Wish him the best at tceh and in life. No regrets about losing him except one day this year :).  

4 hours ago, RowdyVic said:

I am sure the offense will probably switch up hand signals for that game.

Absolutely. This goes on in the NFL weekly. Sometimes teams pick up a guy off waivers who used to play for you the week they play you,  just to see if they can get anything useful out of him. But realistically, teams pick up MORE on you from what you do on film, and playing you twice a year in the division. You're always going to be ready to change some tendencies if they show to be hurting you during the game. Outside of that, line your guys up against my guys, you know what we do and vice versa, let's go.

Plenty of time in between here and Tech, and as I mentioned earlier, Bonney will provide little use in that part of Tech's game-planning vs. the Longhorns, as there will be a lot of film available by then that is more useful.

Edited by UncleBuck

A couple team notes from TFB: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-wednesday-august-15th/

A Couple Young Guys Making Moves | Fall Camp Quick-Hitters
– Super K

***A couple names I’ve heard more than once recently are true freshman, Joshua Moore and redshirt freshman, Kobe Boyce.

***In RE Boyce, I’m told he’s been taking reps with the 1s at field corner with Davante Davis dealing with a minor hamstring issue. Apparently Davis was in and out of the scrimmage on Saturday and didn’t practice yesterday. I need to confirm but the general vibe I get is that they more comfortable having Boyce to the field and keeping Cook to the boundary. Boyce has exceptional speed so it’s looking like he’d be the guy off the bench.

Boyce is a guy who struggled to put on weight but has finally done so.

***I’m told Joshua Moore has been moving up the depth chart and picking up some first-team inside wide receiver reps here and there. Source said that he obviously doesn’t know the system the way someone like Jerrod Heard but, “when he’s on the field you feel his presence”. Moore is tall and long and came into the program “looking like a beanpole”. But he’s put on weight. Here’s a picture of him from earlier this summer…

DiWxP6dV4AAYx34.jpg

Moore is a taller guy and you usually expect guys like that to take a lot more time to change direction but he has fantastic hips and bend. He is extremely sudden in his directional movement.

I might be jumping the gun a bit but like Keontay Ingram, I think Moore is someone that could be a dude by mid-season.

Ayodele Adeoye & DeMarvion Overshown | Sourced Injury Update
– Super K

As you all know by now, Texas Football recently announced the following injury news regarding freshmen linebackers, Ayodele Adeoye and DeMarvion Overshown…

“Freshman LB Ayodele Adeoye (knee), senior DB Davante Davis (hamstring) and freshman DB DeMarvion Overshown (knee) sustained injuries in Saturday’s scrimmage.”

I’ve spoken to a couple sources about the injuries. There is good news. I’m told neither sustained a season-ending knee injury.

However, I was told that they may be out for “more than a few weeks”. I don’t have a solid timetable but source surmised somewhere around four to six weeks.

Hope to get a little more clarity on the return timeline, this week. But again, I’m told neither suffered a season-ending injury.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

IT 2018 Texas Season Preview: Tight Ends

In the last decade or so the tight end position has infringed on the domain of wide receivers. Especially in the NFL, it has become a glamour position that prizes athleticism over grunt work. But for Tom Herman's offense, glamour is in the grunt work that helps the offense operate as intended. He'll take any and all modern day mutants at the position, but they must possess the willingness to aid in the running game first and foremost.

Joe's post from yesterday is instructive for this one. It's easy to appreciate the individual talent of a wide receiver who makes a big play but it's harder to understand the sequence of plays that preceded it that allowed it to work. The game moves fast and the game within the game moves faster. Defenses have to adjust to stop what's working, and offenses have to scrap what isn't.

Texas didn't scrap what wasn't working last year because Herman, like most coaches, is rigid to his philosophy. We saw his intent to use the tight end position but it's harder to see what might have been had the position not been neutered by injuries and lack of talent. That is, if you don't watch a lot of football.

What some would describe as stubborn or lacking creativity, Herman would call being patient and program building. It certainly isn't excuse making to lament the lack of tight ends. If sticking with his preferred offense despite lack of options at a key position doesn't underline his intent to use the position, perhaps adding four signees and two commitments in less than two years does.

While Texas continues to search for mutants at the position (it may have one in Brayden Liebrock), it will happily go into the season with a complement of grunts who possess just enough athleticism to unlock the position and in the process help unlock the offense.

TE SR Andrew Beck, #47, 6-3, 255: Past: Played both linebacker and tight end for an excellent Tampa Plant program. Offensive and defensive staff members at the time debated over which side of the ball he should play. Showed good fluidity and a willingness to mix it up. Present: Upon arrival it didn't take him long to find his home on offense. He's made a number of starts, though his play has been inconsistent at times. Future: This offense couldn't be a better fit. He's versed in lining up attached and serving as a combo blocker, but he's also been effective as a piece that moves around and lead blocks similar to an H-back. There's a real chance he becomes an unsung hero this season assuming he stays healthy.

Something you likely won't see again is a three year separation on the roster at a position.

TE SO Cade Brewer, #80, 6-3, 250: Past: Known more as a dangerous and highly productive receiving weapon than blocker at Lake Travis. Served an integral part in the overall scheme. Present: He impressed with his football mentality upon arrival. He quickly dispelled any notion that he was simply an undersized receiving threat. His play in camp bled into the season as he gave the position a spark in Beck's absence. He never lacked effort as a blocker, though lack of size and strength limited his effectiveness somewhat. When he went down with a knee injury late in the season Texas was down to graduate transfer Kendall Moore. Future: He's similar to Beck in his utility as a blocker but is a better receiver and runner in the open field. The big question is how will he play in his return? Lower body strength is said to have not suffered from the injury, though we hear he's moving good but not quite on the same level as pre-injury. Some of that is likely due to added weight. Brewer has the same chance Beck does to become an unsung hero.

TE FR Reese Leitao, #81, 6-3, 250: Past: Was known for being a credible two-way player and model citizen until some breaking bad bad breaks he created for himself. Present: He red-shirted but nearly played last season out of need. By the time he was ready to see the field the staff decided to play the long game and not burn a year of eligibility. Future: He'll be the third tight end but has higher athletic potential than either Beck or Brewer. We know the staff will flex the position out -- often so it can motion it back into the formation to block. If Leitao can become a credible blocker it will create opportunities for him in the passing game. It's imperative he continues to improve as a blocker. He's currently behind in that regard, though he is getting better.

TE FR Rob Cummins, #89, 6-5, 260: Past: After a year in Austin the artist formerly known as Max more closely identifies as a Rob. He arrived at Texas as a very intriguing jumbo athlete who moved well and played with a chip. Present: He switched from defensive end to tight end based on program need more so than it being his ideal fit. Future:He lacks fluidity to be a dangerous receiver but his aggression should play well as a blocker. Based on his frame I don't think he'll grow into an offensive tackle, though perhaps he can become a pseudo-tackle in jumbo sets.

WR/TE Malcolm Epps, #85, 6-5, 230: Past: The basketball type of athlete many covet who played flexed out. Showed very interesting traits on defense as a senior that should crossover to offense. Present: With XWR being thin and Epps not ready to contribute inline, the staff has him working in his familiar role. He's a physical mismatch for defensive backs with a huge catch radius. He's the type that is often open despite being covered well. Future: It's hard to foresee his time at wide receiver not being a pit stop on the way to tight end, mainly because it's hard to foresee his time at 230 pounds not being a pit stop on the way to 250. However, at this point he's largely a complete unknown as a blocker.

How it all works:

Beck and Brewer are somewhat redundant as players and in this case that's optimal. The offense should work equally well regardless of who is in, and because of their versatility they'll complement each other in 12 personnel. These guys, along with Sam Ehlinger running the ball, really allow you to not just put numbers in your favor but create confusion for the defense while doing it.

Leitao should get his opportunities as well and could become a primary beneficiary of Beck's and Brewer's efficacy as blockers as he provides the same "look" they do but a different athletic dimension to sneak into routes.

Cummins will likely be depth used primarily in short yardage scenarios.

Epps seems like a four-game red-shirt candidate assuming health at tight end and wide receiver.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT 2018 Texas Season Preview: Tight Ends

Hide contents

In the last decade or so the tight end position has infringed on the domain of wide receivers. Especially in the NFL, it has become a glamour position that prizes athleticism over grunt work. But for Tom Herman's offense, glamour is in the grunt work that helps the offense operate as intended. He'll take any and all modern day mutants at the position, but they must possess the willingness to aid in the running game first and foremost.

Joe's post from yesterday is instructive for this one. It's easy to appreciate the individual talent of a wide receiver who makes a big play but it's harder to understand the sequence of plays that preceded it that allowed it to work. The game moves fast and the game within the game moves faster. Defenses have to adjust to stop what's working, and offenses have to scrap what isn't.

Texas didn't scrap what wasn't working last year because Herman, like most coaches, is rigid to his philosophy. We saw his intent to use the tight end position but it's harder to see what might have been had the position not been neutered by injuries and lack of talent. That is, if you don't watch a lot of football.

What some would describe as stubborn or lacking creativity, Herman would call being patient and program building. It certainly isn't excuse making to lament the lack of tight ends. If sticking with his preferred offense despite lack of options at a key position doesn't underline his intent to use the position, perhaps adding four signees and two commitments in less than two years does.

While Texas continues to search for mutants at the position (it may have one in Brayden Liebrock), it will happily go into the season with a complement of grunts who possess just enough athleticism to unlock the position and in the process help unlock the offense.

TE SR Andrew Beck, #47, 6-3, 255: Past: Played both linebacker and tight end for an excellent Tampa Plant program. Offensive and defensive staff members at the time debated over which side of the ball he should play. Showed good fluidity and a willingness to mix it up. Present: Upon arrival it didn't take him long to find his home on offense. He's made a number of starts, though his play has been inconsistent at times. Future: This offense couldn't be a better fit. He's versed in lining up attached and serving as a combo blocker, but he's also been effective as a piece that moves around and lead blocks similar to an H-back. There's a real chance he becomes an unsung hero this season assuming he stays healthy.

Something you likely won't see again is a three year separation on the roster at a position.

TE SO Cade Brewer, #80, 6-3, 250: Past: Known more as a dangerous and highly productive receiving weapon than blocker at Lake Travis. Served an integral part in the overall scheme. Present: He impressed with his football mentality upon arrival. He quickly dispelled any notion that he was simply an undersized receiving threat. His play in camp bled into the season as he gave the position a spark in Beck's absence. He never lacked effort as a blocker, though lack of size and strength limited his effectiveness somewhat. When he went down with a knee injury late in the season Texas was down to graduate transfer Kendall Moore. Future: He's similar to Beck in his utility as a blocker but is a better receiver and runner in the open field. The big question is how will he play in his return? Lower body strength is said to have not suffered from the injury, though we hear he's moving good but not quite on the same level as pre-injury. Some of that is likely due to added weight. Brewer has the same chance Beck does to become an unsung hero.

TE FR Reese Leitao, #81, 6-3, 250: Past: Was known for being a credible two-way player and model citizen until some breaking bad bad breaks he created for himself. Present: He red-shirted but nearly played last season out of need. By the time he was ready to see the field the staff decided to play the long game and not burn a year of eligibility. Future: He'll be the third tight end but has higher athletic potential than either Beck or Brewer. We know the staff will flex the position out -- often so it can motion it back into the formation to block. If Leitao can become a credible blocker it will create opportunities for him in the passing game. It's imperative he continues to improve as a blocker. He's currently behind in that regard, though he is getting better.

TE FR Rob Cummins, #89, 6-5, 260: Past: After a year in Austin the artist formerly known as Max more closely identifies as a Rob. He arrived at Texas as a very intriguing jumbo athlete who moved well and played with a chip. Present: He switched from defensive end to tight end based on program need more so than it being his ideal fit. Future:He lacks fluidity to be a dangerous receiver but his aggression should play well as a blocker. Based on his frame I don't think he'll grow into an offensive tackle, though perhaps he can become a pseudo-tackle in jumbo sets.

WR/TE Malcolm Epps, #85, 6-5, 230: Past: The basketball type of athlete many covet who played flexed out. Showed very interesting traits on defense as a senior that should crossover to offense. Present: With XWR being thin and Epps not ready to contribute inline, the staff has him working in his familiar role. He's a physical mismatch for defensive backs with a huge catch radius. He's the type that is often open despite being covered well. Future: It's hard to foresee his time at wide receiver not being a pit stop on the way to tight end, mainly because it's hard to foresee his time at 230 pounds not being a pit stop on the way to 250. However, at this point he's largely a complete unknown as a blocker.

How it all works:

Beck and Brewer are somewhat redundant as players and in this case that's optimal. The offense should work equally well regardless of who is in, and because of their versatility they'll complement each other in 12 personnel. These guys, along with Sam Ehlinger running the ball, really allow you to not just put numbers in your favor but create confusion for the defense while doing it.

Leitao should get his opportunities as well and could become a primary beneficiary of Beck's and Brewer's efficacy as blockers as he provides the same "look" they do but a different athletic dimension to sneak into routes.

Cummins will likely be depth used primarily in short yardage scenarios.

Epps seems like a four-game red-shirt candidate assuming health at tight end and wide receiver.

So stoked to see what this offense can do with capable TEs, plural. Leitao can be a stud. 

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

Holy Christ he's STILL employed after turning our DB room into tepid slush and getting lowkey canned at UH?

To be fair, being a defensive coach at Tech is about as solid of a career choice as being a history or philosophy major. 

34 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

So stoked to see what this offense can do with capable TEs, plural. Leitao can be a stud. 

I'm all for 4 wide though, the WR room has so much talent, surly some of these dudes can crackback block well enough to be out there helping the run game.