Fox / Disney (ESPN) Sale RE: Fox Sports Southwest

Dr Fear

I am putting this here because we have a a lot of football games on FSSW and FS1 but it also affects the Rangers, Mavs, Stars, and the Big 12 in general.

21st Century Fox has sold all of their assets to Disney/ESPN for the insane amount $71 billion a few weeks ago.  Excluded were Fox Broadcasting (the national network), Fox News, 28 local Fox stations, FS1, FS2, Big 10 Network and Fox Deportes (this is a thing?).  Disney/ESPN had agreed to buy the 20 or so regional sports networks (including Fox Sports Southwest) but the DOJ had anti-trust concerns and are forcing them to sell them to a 3rd party within 90 days of the original sale.

Potential buyers range from Comcast, private equity or even the Google and Facebooks of the world (though this is unlikely).

Since FS1 and Fox Sports Southwest are no longer associated it will be interesting to see what the fallout in the "TV Draft" that takes place each week during the season for all the Big 12 games each week.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fox-m-a-comcast/comcast-lining-up-buyers-for-fox-sports-assets-sources-idUSKBN1JZ23Z

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas hasn't played on a regional Fox affiliate in a decade.

Out of curiosity, I looked it up  The last time a UT football game was shown on FSSW was following the long rain delay against TCU.  The game originally was broadcast on FS1.  After the delay, the remainder game was simulcast on FS2 and FSSW.

Prior to that, the only reference I can find to a UT football game's being broadcast on FSSW was the game against Louisiana-Lafayette on September 9, 2000.  There are some games in the early 2000s that don't show any network.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Out of curiosity, I looked it up  The last time a UT football game was shown on FSSW was following the long rain delay against TCU.  The game originally was broadcast on FS1.  After the delay, the remainder game was simulcast on FS2 and FSSW.

Prior to that, the only reference I can find to a UT football game's being broadcast on FSSW was the game against Louisiana-Lafayette on September 9, 2000.  There are some games in the early 2000s that don't show any network.

I remember that game because Knoxville had the exact same issue.  Both games were delayed for quite a bit of time.  In not having FS2 or FSSW, I convinced my dad to drive through several flooded streets to a sports bar to watch.  We survived the flood but I was sure we were going to be electrocuted because the game was on a tv on a covered, partially flooded patio and there were wires everywhere.  

I had some "great" times up there trying to find UT games on tv.  Half the time the guide would be wrong and I'd spend 30 mins on the phone trying to order the game off some PPV channel.

5 hours ago, futureman said:

$71 billion?

Yes:

Disney, 21st Century Fox Shareholders Vote to Approve $71.3 Billion ...

Jul 27, 2018 - Shareholders of 21st Century Fox and Disney have voted to approve ... of 21st CenturyFox, told Fox shareholders the merger is expected to be ...

Fox Sports Regional networks do broadcast football for other conference members and baseball, softball, and other Spring sports for the B12.    As the OP states,   it will effect the conference in general and the pro teams.

17 minutes ago, torre said:

Fox Sports Regional networks do broadcast football for other conference members and baseball, softball, and other Spring sports for the B12.    As the OP states,   it will effect the conference in general and the pro teams.

I know Texas Tech/ Baylor/ TCU & Oklahoma State all have games rebroadcast (football), and live events in olympic sports, so that is accurate [I think FSOK, also plays OU too]...

4 hours ago, Foosters said:

Yes. That and "face-rape."

werent those idiot commentors part of the raycom network?

I guess I just need to see which network we were on the 3 years in a row that we played okie state and had to come from behind to beat them each time.   Cause those were the games that Henry Shelton and FaceRape were coined

13 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

I am putting this here because we have a a lot of football games on FSSW and FS1 but it also affects the Rangers, Mavs, Stars, and the Big 12 in general.

21st Century Fox has sold all of their assets to Disney/ESPN for the insane amount $71 billion a few weeks ago.  Excluded were Fox Broadcasting (the national network), Fox News, 28 local Fox stations, FS1, FS2, Big 10 Network and Fox Deportes (this is a thing?).  Disney/ESPN had agreed to buy the 20 or so regional sports networks (including Fox Sports Southwest) but the DOJ had anti-trust concerns and are forcing them to sell them to a 3rd party within 90 days of the original sale.

Potential buyers range from Comcast, private equity or even the Google and Facebooks of the world (though this is unlikely).

Since FS1 and Fox Sports Southwest are no longer associated it will be interesting to see what the fallout in the "TV Draft" that takes place each week during the season for all the Big 12 games each week.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fox-m-a-comcast/comcast-lining-up-buyers-for-fox-sports-assets-sources-idUSKBN1JZ23Z

I'm not sure they'll let Comcast buy them either due to all the sports channels they have in major markets, including NYC and Chicago.   Since they were estimated to be in the $10+b range in valuation, someone big is going to have to step up and I'm not sure AT&T has the money left after TW.   That leaves a lot of current non-players, like Amazon or Google getting into stations.   That cost is basically a rounding error to them for a lot of content they could control regionally as easily as putting taxes on a purchase.   Discovery Networks doesn't do sports in the US, but they own Eurosports and just bought the rights to Europe's Olympic coverage.   However, they also just did a $14B buy of Scripps, so not sure how their cash looks.  

Outside those players, I'm not sure who else can step in.

Edited by Hurtlocker
spellz bad

6 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I know Texas Tech/ Baylor/ TCU & Oklahoma State all have games rebroadcast (football), and live events in olympic sports, so that is accurate [I think FSOK, also plays OU too]...

I think ou’s Tier 3 deal is with fox sports ok. 

Bring back HSE. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

The Astros/Rockets have their own network in the Houston area, and it was briefly operated by Comcast/NBC-Universal.  Have to say, the quality of the content and production was nothing short of outstanding.  But the business part of the arrangement fell apart, mostly due to Comcast's failure to secure carriage deals with its competitors, primarily DirecTV, Dish Network and AT&T.  Root Sports (owned by AT&T) ended up with the network, and is now branded AT&T Sportsnet Southwest.  While the live game broadcasts are pretty good, the rest of the content sucks.  I'd hate to think what a regional ESPN network would look like.

Edited by Stella Link

24 minutes ago, Stella Link said:

The Astros/Rockets have their own network in the Houston area, and it was briefly operated by Comcast/NBC-Universal.  Have to say, the quality of the content and production was nothing short of outstanding.  But the business part of the arrangement fell apart, mostly due to Comcast's failure to secure carriage deals with its competitors, primarily DirecTV, Dish Network and AT&T.  Root Sports (owned by AT&T) ended up with the network, and is now branded AT&T Sportsnet Southwest.  While the live game broadcasts are pretty good, the rest of the content sucks.  I'd hate to think what a regional ESPN network would look like.

ESPN can't own the product, as it must divest of the 22 regional sports networks to finalize the completion of the Disney/ Fox merger...

• Like 1

I miss how FSSW used to replay games in a one hour format by showing just snap after snap and a few important reviews and interviews in between.  I think the show was called "No Huddle."  I could rewatch our game and a few others that I missed without a huge time commitment or trying to predict when to stop my dvr fast forward.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

ESPN can't own the product, as it must divest of the 22 regional sports networks to finalize the completion of the Disney/ Fox merger...

Just remembered that from the article.  While that's the good news, i certainly hope it doesn't end up with private equity investor bean counters with non-broadcast or non-live game broadcast experience.  

19 minutes ago, Stella Link said:

Just remembered that from the article.  While that's the good news, i certainly hope it doesn't end up with private equity investor bean counters with non-broadcast or non-live game broadcast experience.  

Just a guess, I would say broadcast/ streaming outfits like AT&T/ Amazon/ Comcast & Youtube, may be the front runners of the product...

Amazon, Youtube eye bid for Fox regional sports networks - report

Telecompaper-Aug 14, 2018
The regional sports networks being sold by 21st Century Fox as part of its takeover by ... A sale process for the networks could kick off within weeks, the report said, even though Disney has at least three months after it completes its Fox asset ...

But there's a chance Sinclair or the like make what would amount to a surprise bid for some of the 22 regional sports networks content...

Private equity firms, tech companies and Sinclair all reportedly ...

Awful Announcing-Aug 13, 2018
The upcoming sale of Fox's regional sports networks keeps getting more and more interesting. Disney is going to sell off those networks as part ...

3 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Just a guess, I would say broadcast/ streaming outfits like AT&T/ Amazon/ Comcast & Youtube, may be the front runners of the product...

But there's a chance Sinclair or the like make what would amount to a surprise bid for some of the 22 regional sports networks content...

Disney is going to try as hard as possible not to help out any rivals to their upcoming/existing streaming services and ESPN in general.  

Selling them off in pieces to numerous companies would probably be their best bet, since it would dilute things.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Disney is going to try as hard as possible not to help out any rivals to their upcoming/existing streaming services and ESPN in general.  

Selling them off in pieces to numerous companies would probably be their best bet, since it would dilute things.

That makes sense, that as you state the 22 regional networks would be "more valued" to Disney in being parcelled to say 5/ 6/ or 8 bidders; reducing the total content each has... 

12 hours ago, kopp0e said:

That makes sense, that as you state the 22 regional networks would be "more valued" to Disney in being parcelled to say 5/ 6/ or 8 bidders; reducing the total content each has... 

I would love for one company to get them all, and to try and build out a solid foundation to compete with ESPN/Fox Sports.  

Still weird as hell that Fox Sports isn’t retaining the regionals.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I would love for one company to get them all, and to try and build out a solid foundation to compete with ESPN/Fox Sports.  

That would be cool, if some company can pull it off I think it could be either Comcast or Amazon...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 10:37 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Only cover college football and ignore the no fun league completely. 

11 hours ago, kopp0e said:

This guy thinks the 3rd tier rights of the AAC members will eventually go back to each school, similar to how the XII currently operates...

this makes zero sense ESPN owns 100% of the ACC content so NBC/comcrap, and CBS have nothing to do with anything

ESPN is making them a network and IMO chumping them and their fans for the longer term because they are taking some "tier 2" content they were obligated to show on some of their existing channels and shifting it along with the "tier 3" content to the ACC network

ESPN basically gets to create a new network with 100% of the expenses on that new network and any excess profits getting shared by ESPN and the ACC

in the short term (5 years or so) there might be some excess profits, but in the long term between say 2024 and 2032 (8 years) that ESPN owns the ACC and when cable cutting has taken it's toll on the profits ESPN gets to still have that "tier 2" content placed on that ACC network and the ACC fans either pay up (bitch) or they do not get to see it and by then when the push back to channel cramming has cut cable profits and network profits there will not be excess profits to share with the ACC and ESPN will simply get to run that network at a break even, but with the benefit being they are no longer obligated to show some ACC "tier 2" content on their current existing channels

idiots like travis clay and others were talking all about the SEC SEC SEC network paying TWENTY MILLION to each team in the SEC SEC SEC to start out and GROWING from there and as it turns out it paid something like $2 million the first year and pays about $4 or $5 now (nothing to sneeze at for sure), and now people are talking about the ACCn paying TEN MILLION per team so if you do that same math they might get $1 million or so to start and $2 or $3 million or so for a few years, but down the road when cord cutting comes into play and when those networks get shifted to more expensive packages above basic and even above the next step up from basic those payouts will drop off probably to nothing especially for the ACC

but the good news for ESPN is they have a network that pays for itself (or almost does) and they still own that content and they can pick and choose if there are games they want on their main channels, but without the OBLIGATION to show any of it on those main channels if they do not desire to

so the ACC is looking at getting perhaps $10 to $15 million over 5 years with the downside of getting nothing for 8 years after that and having a lot of their "tier 2" content that ESPN would have been obligated to show now placed on a network that is less and less available and that will probably cost more and more to subscribe to

Edited by ButtFumble

5 hours ago, fellside said:

Canceled Uverse a few months back. My bill was about 220 a month for internet and cable.  Just got YouTube TV for 40 a month and it has all the ESPN's, FS1, CBS sports... basically everything I need for college football.

That is a ridiculous amount! I was paying about $120 for internet and cable when I cut about 5 years ago. Just getting internet ended up being about $85 a month, so by the time I added Netflix, Hulu and Sling, I was paying more for less content. The only way the finances really work in that situation is to be on the ball and cancel when you aren't watching. If I cancelled Sling after college basketball ended and re-subscribed in the fall I would save money overall. I also found I binged watched stuff on Netflix and Hulu and then would go months without really watching anything on one or the other while still forking over money. I finally went back to the bundle this year. I'll see if the total cost has gone up once the initial $99 bundle deal is over.

26 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

That is a ridiculous amount! I was paying about $120 for internet and cable when I cut about 5 years ago. Just getting internet ended up being about $85 a month, so by the time I added Netflix, Hulu and Sling, I was paying more for less content. The only way the finances really work in that situation is to be on the ball and cancel when you aren't watching. If I cancelled Sling after college basketball ended and re-subscribed in the fall I would save money overall. I also found I binged watched stuff on Netflix and Hulu and then would go months without really watching anything on one or the other while still forking over money. I finally went back to the bundle this year. I'll see if the total cost has gone up once the initial $99 bundle deal is over.

Yeah I'll probably cancel when football is over. But even if I dont l, its about 100 cheaper than uverse, and I had their service for 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Keep that shit in the realignment fag thread.

Everything is somehow related to realignment when discussion of media companies bidding on rights...

Kinda rolls around on various subjects at times... And not totally realignment specific in post...