The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

24 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, that’s likely too (the light source). My current light has three temps of light which makes it easy to get a better base.

I dunno the light temps, but it says this.

The Cool Light mode reduces the orange mask that is present in color negative film like CineStill 800T, 400D, and 50D, providing color balanced scans with better color separation and less noise.

The White Light mode is ideal for scanning black and white film, as well as slide film that has been processed with the warm-tone dilution of the CineStill D9 DynamicChrome 1st Developer.

Lastly, the Warm Light mode is perfect for scanning standard E6 (or CineStill D6 DaylightChrome) processed slide film, as the tungsten-balanced light can produce richer tones and enhanced color separation, especially within the red channel.

When scanning Kodachrome slides, I find the “White Light” mode is best.

I ordered this light from Amazon. I figured it would be a good multi-purpose light I can use for a lot of things if I get tired of trying to digitize film pics. It also can be used as a charging bank. Good to have in an emergency or for travel, outdoors and stuff, and lighting small things for quick photos.

61aPxHkp0tL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

SmallRig RM120 RGB Video Light, 5000mAh 180 Minutes Portable Camera Light 7W Output Power, LED Video Light Panel, 2500-8500K CRI TLCI 98+ for TikTok, Content Creator, Photographer 3808

image.gif

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Damor said:

@SmokeyTheBear, gonna need a trip report on that.  I had a nice itinerary including Skye put together pre-Covid.

We had planned this trip the summer of covid so finally getting to fulfill this bucket list trip. 

Go. Just go.

Most beautiful place I've seen on Earth so far. We flew into Inverness and stayed in Nairn for a couple days. Rented a car and drove to Skye. We stayed at the Raasay House on Isle of Raasay (a 500 yr old house below with incredible views). Hiked Old Man of Storr and the Quirang (my legs still hurt). Yesterday, drove from Skye to Edinburgh via Glencoe. We fly out tomorrow. Scotland exceeded all my expectations. Happy to answer any questions or give recs. 

20230620_164839.jpg

20230620_164830.jpg

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 8

On 6/15/2023 at 7:25 PM, DougO said:

I ordered this light from Amazon. I figured it would be a good multi-purpose light I can use for a lot of things if I get tired of trying to digitize film pics. It also can be used as a charging bank. Good to have in an emergency or for travel, outdoors and stuff, and lighting small things for quick photos.

SmallRig RM120 RGB Video Light, 5000mAh 180 Minutes Portable Camera Light 7W Output Power, LED Video Light Panel, 2500-8500K CRI TLCI 98+ for TikTok, Content Creator, Photographer 3808

image.gif

This is a really cool light. I haven't used it for copying or really tried taking decent photos with it, but with the attached diffuser it gives you a very nice soft light source for instant studio type lighting effect of small objects. And it comes in handy just to have a good bright light within arms length.

• Like 1

Any of y'all using GoPro type cameras for video? I've been thinking about getting a cheap used one to test the waters. But there are so many models I'm not sure where the cutoff point should be as far as the model generation and features. I probably don't need 5K or super high speeds for fancy shooting. Use as a still camera would be a bonus.

Any of y'all using GoPro type cameras for video? I've been thinking about getting a cheap used one to test the waters. But there are so many models I'm not sure where the cutoff point should be as far as the model generation and features. I probably don't need 5K or super high speeds for fancy shooting. Use as a still camera would be a bonus.

I have a Hero4 silver. Haven’t used it in quite awhile. I used it more for underwater still photos more than video. I thought about upgrading but haven’t pulled the trigger. Probably get another drone before that.

Two of my favorite shots with it:

014cb5bec01c8ff94981331992bbae31.jpg

4219fdbc68444ed03402f0a4a4139a52.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I am recently back from a 2 week vacation in Italy.  Still trying to edit photos.  But I wanted to share some as it will take awhile to sort through.  In the Italy thread in the travel forum I wrote about my experience seeing the Calcio Storico game with several photos.  I will cross post a few here, but for the context, check out this post:

Just in case that didn't work,

Alright, I am going to do my best to not flood the thread, but I got some shots I liked.  These are from Milan, Venice and Florence (and one from Rome, but more Rome to come)... post 1107 I think.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Patricio Swayze
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

On 6/15/2023 at 7:25 PM, DougO said:

image.gif

FYI for anyone interested, this light is $50 at Amazon today, 15 percent off. I don't think it's even a prime only deal. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking for some input from fellow photographers. I got a message on Flickr from someone asking permission to use one of my photos for a cover of a book about abandoned places in south Texas. She said I would retain my copyright (no shit) and would be credited. She provided a link to her website and the publisher. I have yet to reply. Not sure if it’s worth asking for compensation, such as a one time licensing fee. Suppose I do, and they don’t want to pay, would y’all still let them use it? She said she had several of my photos in mind, so it’s a photo I feel strongly about that might sway how I feel.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Looking for some input from fellow photographers. I got a message on Flickr from someone asking permission to use one of my photos for a cover of a book about abandoned places in south Texas. She said I would retain my copyright (no shit) and would be credited. She provided a link to her website and the publisher. I have yet to reply. Not sure if it’s worth asking for compensation, such as a one time licensing fee. Suppose I do, and they don’t want to pay, would y’all still let them use it? She said she had several of my photos in mind, so it’s a photo I feel strongly about that might sway how I feel.

Sounds like they don't want to pay, and if they did it wouldn't be much. And it's always tough not really knowing what kind of project it is, whether it's just some goofball doing a book, or it will end up selling a lot of copies largely due to your cover pic. 

I once inquired about a photo of a gila monster for a cover I was designing for my uncle, one of those self-made books you can sell on Amazon so people can call themselves a published author. He wanted a couple hundred bucks or something. I passed. So I guess it just comes down to whether you want to do it or not. If I thought it looked cool but wasn't going to make any money I would at least ask for some copies of the book.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Sounds like they don't want to pay, and if they did it wouldn't be much. And it's always tough not really knowing what kind of project it is, whether it's just some goofball doing a book, or it will end up selling a lot of copies largely due to your cover pic. 

I once inquired about a photo of a gila monster for a cover I was designing for my uncle, one of those self-made books you can sell on Amazon so people can call themselves a published author. He wanted a couple hundred bucks or something. I passed. So I guess it just comes down to whether you want to do it or not. If I thought it looked cool but wasn't going to make any money I would at least ask for some copies of the book.

I worked in publishing for about 14 years (non-profit) and that was pretty standard.  Use an image, pay for it in addition to getting several copies of the book.  Or just get copies of the book, since it was for a non-profit and wasn't going for sale.  But some contracts requested number of books to be printed and at what retail amount, and whether it would be a cover image or size, to determine cost.  Also, is this thing even going to have an ISBN number?  If not, then maybe just get copies of the book.  Things to consider.  They like your images because they look professional, so they should be able to pay for professional quality images.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

get paid

Thanks for the input y’all. I replied to her email with a few questions regarding compensation and copies of the book. This is the publisher:

https://www.fonthill.media

After searching their site I recognize their books as they have done many abandoned themed books. In fact I know a couple of photographers through Instagram that have published their work with them. Now I am curious if this will be more of a curated book rather than one photographer. While it’s definitely cool to be asked to be on the cover, it would be nice to have a photo or two in the book. Might inquire about that as well.

I obviously don’t do photography for a living so compensation isn’t paramount and being published is always nice. I’ll let y’all know what happens.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

If you were to do it make sure it were for one-time publishing rights only.

Publications have guys like us over a barrel. I've done small time freelancing for a long time and the pay gets less and less every year. But photographers are a dime a dozen in the digital age, where all you have to do is send a file, not deal with slides, negatives or professional scans. Stock agencies sell freelancer stuff dirt cheap and get usually half of what the publication is paying, which also keeps driving the price of images downwards.

At least in your case your type of work is much less available than sports and wildlife.

I used to at least make enough to buy some new gear or get repairs once in a while and cover expenses. I keep shooting football because it's what I do, but I pretty much lose money doing it. I've been thinking about cutting back on games, but I don't want to get kicked to the curb altogether. I still love doing it, though I travel a lot less. I don't make anything on wildlife stuff, but I would like to figure out a way to get some return for it to keep covering costs and make a few bucks. But there are wildlife photographers behind every tree basically giving away stuff. 

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Things continue to be rather slow.  I did send off a couple of rolls of film to be developed and scanned.  I haven't been exploring abandoned buildings much lately.  Just not a lot of interesting ones within day trip distance.  But, a church I have had my eye on lately is accessible now, so got a few shots.  Not real happy with these.  Always tricky doing exposure with windows getting blown out.  I could do multiple exposures, but I just feel like that is cheating in a way.  Anyways...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3