2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

I think it was natural this spring to reflect on last year's success and think, "If we won a WS with Correa, Bregman and McCullers being so young, Springer just coming into his own and Altuve still showing signs of only getting better, plus a full year of Verlander and now adding Cole, imagine what 2018 will be like. No one will even slow us down." But then reality hit. Things have in fact slowed us down. What I'm trying to figure out is how many of them were related to injury and how many to simple lack of continued development. I'm going to believe the latter about Correa until proven otherwise...which I hope I am, provided he's still in Houston.   

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I think it was natural this spring to reflect on last year's success and think, "If we won a WS with Correa, Bregman and McCullers being so young, Springer just coming into his own and Altuve still showing signs of only getting better, plus a full year of Verlander and now adding Cole, imagine what 2018 will be like. No one will even slow us down." But then reality hit. Things have in fact slowed us down. What I'm trying to figure out is how many of them were related to injury and how many to simple lack of continued development. I'm going to believe the latter about Correa until proven otherwise...which I hope I am, provided he's still in Houston.   

If he keeps hitting like this. We won't have to worry about losing him to a 400mil contract. Who was it that claimed this? 

53 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

at this point last year, the dodgers were the team to beat, and then cleveland came on with their crazy winning streak.  we were a very good team, but were not favorites to win the world series.  right now, at least half of mlb analysts out there consider us the favorites (some of this is based on seeing it happen last year and knowing our guys are capable).  as of now, we're on pace to match or slightly surpass last year's record, and will likely finish as the same seed.  i think we're definitely a better team.

43 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

as of now, we're on pace to match or slightly surpass last year's record, and will likely finish as the same seed.  i think we're definitely a better team.

Because of the pitching. The offense has been average since the all-star break. Like someone said above. They could hit in the playoffs, or just be abysmal. We shall see.

Correa will be back his normal numbers or better next year. I called Bregman would be a MVP candidate this year or next when he sucked in April. No one believed me.

21 minutes ago, mycox said:

Because of the pitching. The offense has been average since the all-star break. Like someone said above. They could hit in the playoffs, or just be abysmal. We shall see.

Correa will be back his normal numbers or better next year. I called Bregman would be a MVP candidate this year or next when he sucked in April. No one believed me.

somewhere on this thread i also called bregman breakout/mvp candidacy (maybe after the article about his changing diet/workout plan).  maybe it was around when correa decided he wanted an mvp also.  that worked out well for him.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Ask closetojumping. Since he continuously brings it up, he’s bound to know.

You should always add the @ symbol when you wish to conjure a spirit on this board. In this case, someone omnipotent who has nailed every take he’s had on this thread from the start, and you can check it. Even “Evan Gattis having had his lick” has proven true. He was worth a fuck for 30 days and should otherwise not be on the roster. 

2 hours ago, ckhorn said:

Mr Sunshine. I will pass.

In reality, unless you goobers live isolated on this thread and don’t venture elsewhere to follow baseball information, you know flat-out that the MLB community has been rumoring about Harper or Correa being $400million men. It’s fucking disinengenuous to intimate otherwise, whether you possess the grey matter to understand that or not. 

You guys can doubt it and be ignorant because it serves your worldview, I don’t give a fuck. That’s your bullshit. Oddly, the $400million talk for both has gone down the toilet over the past 6 months, correlating exactly to their mediocrity. In Correa’s case, it’s not likely to ever return because he’s proving himself out to be the Mark Prior of position players. 

Edited by closetojumping

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You should always add the @ symbol when you wish to conjure a spirit on this board. In this case, someone omnipotent who has nailed every take he’s had on this thread from the start, and you can check it. Even “Evan Gattis having had his lick” has proven true. He was worth a fuck for 30 days and should otherwise not be on the roster. 

In reality, unless you goobers live isolated on this thread and don’t venture elsewhere to follow baseball information, you know flat-out that the MLB community has been rumoring about Harper or Correa being $400million men. It’s fucking disinengenuous to intimate otherwise, whether you possess the grey matter to understand that or not. 

You guys can doubt it and be ignorant because it serves your worldview, I don’t give a fuck. That’s your bullshit. Oddly, the $400million talk for both has gone down the toilet over the past 6 months, correlating exactly to their mediocrity. In Correa’s case, it’s not likely to ever return because he’s proving himself out to be the Mark Prior of position players. 

what happens with correa (both stats and contract situation) still has a few years to develop, but in the immediate future, it's more of a machado and harper conversation in regards to "$400mm"

and as to "their mediocrity", harper has spent the last several weeks slightly redeeming his season, and will finish with 35+ and 100+ and will get plenty of money from somewhere.  he's 25 right now, so i'm sure he'll get a long deal, and there will be plenty of teams with deep pockets who will not win the world series (some won't even make the playoffs) this season.

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I'm openly rooting for a guy on a 104 loss team on 9/14 to go first to home in the bottom of the 8th inning on a liner down in the LF corner...
Baseball man.

Like degenerate gambling... but cheaper.

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

It’s crazy how frustrated we are with this team this year... and this year’s version is currently 4 games better than last year’s at this same point.

I guess someone on your heels will do that to you

Astros have scored more runs than all but three teams and have given up fewer runs than anyone. By a pretty significant margin. Feels historically low. All on outstanding pitching. 

Thats how how you win championships. 

• Like 1

It’s crazy how frustrated we are with this team this year... and this year’s version is currently 4 games better than last year’s at this same point.

I guess someone on your heels will do that to you

It’s also that at many times they’ve underperformed. And the injuries. Legitimately we should have a record more like Boston’s right now.

The good thing is the team is heading towards the post season as a stronger team than we had last year. I feel like currently our under performing weak spot is Correa. That’s a pretty damn good problem to have.
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

It’s also that at many times they’ve underperformed. And the injuries. Legitimately we should have a record more like Boston’s right now.

The good thing is the team is heading towards the post season as a stronger team than we had last year. I feel like currently our under performing weak spot is Correa. That’s a pretty damn good problem to have.

Correa is batting about .165 since he came back from the injury.  They need his glove but if he doesn’t turn it around he can’t bat in the heart of the lineup.  He’s not even hitting the ball hard.  Strikeouts on pitches down the middle, pop ups and weak grounders.  

Correa is batting about .165 since he came back from the injury.  They need his glove but if he doesn’t turn it around he can’t bat in the heart of the lineup.  He’s not even hitting the ball hard.  Strikeouts on pitches down the middle, pop ups and weak grounders.  

Seems he’s been pretty poor defensively since coming back as well.

He’s really a very weak link right now.

Oh to have Beltran on that bench for the next ~45 days

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So according to the amazing kreskin. We should cut loose Correa, Gattis, Reddick and Gonzalez. Who are you going to replace them with. Its also a little early to compare Correa to Pryor.

26 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

So according to the amazing kreskin. We should cut loose Correa, Gattis, Reddick and Gonzalez. Who are you going to replace them with. Its also a little early to compare Correa to Pryor.

I think we’ve both been around long enough for you to understand the futility of attempting to project positions onto me and expecting me to take the bait. Either that or you just suck at rhetoric. Whatever the case, I’ve said nothing about cutting those guys, or replacing them. It’s cheap bullshit you’ve pulled there, and you’ve made the thread weaker with your behavior. 

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think we’ve both been around long enough for you to understand the futility of attempting to project positions onto me and expecting me to take the bait. Either that or you just suck at rhetoric. Whatever the case, I’ve said nothing about cutting those guys, or replacing them. It’s cheap bullshit you’ve pulled there, and you’ve made the thread weaker with your behavior. 

Dude, lighten up. You take yourself way to seriously.

6 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

One major thing that slowed us down in the first half was dipstick Ken Giles. We fixed that issue.