2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Yeah, Fiers was alright while here.  Not as good as advertised but he was a contributor.  There was a reason he was left off the postseason rosters.  I didn't like the trade at the time and still don't.

Edited by WBT

3 minutes ago, huge said:

No.  Dude said he also interfered in left field.  Not sure how the hell that would be possible.

It wouldn't.  Dude's a liar. He was also on the news last night (Ch. 2 I think), claiming that he's received threats of violence over interfering with a Max Stassi homerun. In a game that we went on to win. 

Edited by Player

7 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Mike Fiers was absolutely essential to this team when LMJ and Keuchel were hurt last year.  He pitched more innings than anyone on the team during a 101 win campaign that culminated in a WS win.  You’d think that most Astros fans would appreciate that more.   

Gomez can go screw a porcupine.  

He ate some innings for us sure, but he was the worst starter on the staff by far and it's not even close.  

Most hits allowed, ER allowed, HR allowed, and most walks.  That's a hard feat to accomplish.

Edited by Tommy Nobis

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Ummm it is easy to interfere in left field.  Reach out into field of play.  You can be 1st row Crawford box and interfere with the ball. 

The ball hit Sunday was definitely interfered with. 

Db-VRcuU8AA6q1t.jpg

I was thinking interfering with a person.  Like your picture.

I wasn't thinking just reaching way over the line.  I'll take my shame over here now.

Just now, Snacks said:

Can anybody explain why Gary Pettis sent Correa to get easily thrown out? I was drunk, but it still doesn't seem to make sense.

It was hard to see from the TV angle, but my guess is Correa was going on contact and Josh just hit the ball a little too hard, which gave Walker an easy play. If that's a dribbler, Correa scores easily. 

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Ummm it is easy to interfere in left field.  Reach out into field of play.  You can be 1st row Crawford box and interfere with the ball. 

The ball hit Sunday was definitely interfered with. 

Db-VRcuU8AA6q1t.jpg

What annoys me is that there is a real simple solution to this.  Just rip out the row of seats and put a barricade there.  Keep like a 2’ buffer zone between the top of the fence and any fan and you can eliminate this. Otherwise it’s human nature to try to catch that ball and not so easy to be sure of if you are or aren’t interfering.  

just to add some background on that trevor bauer comment - this is probably more of a jealous dig at gerrit cole veiled as an insinuation, if i got that right. it's funny this comes up again as I was speaking to someone over this weekend who i really trust and believe everything he has told me, pretty much family. his son is an aspiring baseball player signed up his son to work on his speed/agility, etc at the dynamic sports training facility in houston - same place trevor bauer works out at in the offseason and same place bregman and Whitley work out, among others. when the gerrit cole trade was made public bauer was bitching and crying about this trade happening because he said it was the absolute best place cole could have landed and they (astros) were the best at unlocking his potential with coaching/analytics and it wouldnt surprise him if cole became a fucking bad ass this year - so far, that's held true. interestingly, bauer hoped to get traded to houston for these same reasons. 

apparently there is a pretty good feud between the two of them that dates back to their UCLA days and they would always go at each other when they were teammates. I'm sure some of this fueling some of these comments  

5 hours ago, Tommy Nobis said:

He ate some innings for us sure, but he was the worst starter on the staff by far and it's not even close.  

Most hits allowed, ER allowed, HR allowed, and most walks.  That's a hard feat to accomplish.

Fiers was very frustrating at times, because he actually has talent.  No doubt he had some bad games and some rough looking stats.  Hidden in those stats is the fact that his best starts of the season came when the team needed him the most.  

The team won the West in April, but without Fiers holding serve in June/July, they might not have ended up with home field advantage for two playoff series. 

As mentioned earlier, he earned his ring. 

Either the Astros keep it well hidden, or that petty bullshit doesn't exist in their clubhouse.  If Douchemagiver didn't get along with his own teammate in collge, it can only be imagined what a pain the ass he'd be now.

Fuck that.

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Still don't understand why Hinch insists on starting Marisnick over Reddick just because they have a lefty going.  Especially at MMP where Reddick fucking owned last year.

7-9 of Gattis, McCann and Marisnick is not ideal.

Granted it's a small sample size of only 11 at bats, but Montgomery hasn't allowed a hit to lefties all year.

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Granted it's a small sample size of only 11 at bats, but Montgomery hasn't allowed a hit to lefties all year.

Based on available stats, the Titanic would have sunk every time it tried to cross the Atlantic. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Still don't understand why Hinch insists on starting Marisnick over Reddick just because they have a lefty going.  Especially at MMP where Reddick fucking owned last year.

7-9 of Gattis, McCann and Marisnick is not ideal.

Which means that part of the lineup will probably be responsible for ~5 runs tonight.

Deadspin fucking hates Trevor Bauer.

https://deadspin.com/trevor-bauer-considered-cauterizing-his-gross-finger-wi-1787948638

Bauer told Passan that he repeatedly bugged the Indians’ medical staff to cauterize his finger wound shut with a soldering iron. They laughed at him, but Bauer was 100 percent serious. He truly wanted his already mangled finger to be burnt shut so bad he almost performed the procedure himself.

“I even had a soldering iron in my hotel room,” Bauer said. “Instead of going to the ER, I probably should’ve sealed it closed myself.”

https://deadspin.com/espn-fawns-over-the-intelligence-of-trevor-bauer-who-i-1825545707

Trevor Bauer is an asshole, and the only thing that distinguishes him from the scores of other unremarked-upon assholes who populate major-league clubhouses is his ability to perform intelligence for interested observers. Never mind that the things he actually says are just as rock-stupid as anything that will ever fall from the mouth of any bumpkin ballplayer who’s never heard of “laminar flow.” Trevor Bauer is nothing more than stupid person’s idea of a smart person.