2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Not in our top 30 prospect list. Been stuck in A ball for 4 years. Seems reasonable to me.

He would be after this season considering how well he has performed in the Carolina League this season at only 21 years old.

the way we draft and handle international signing, if you're outside the top 30, you're pretty fucked if you're over 20 years old.  definitely expendable for any type of improvement at the big league level.

this isn't 15 years ago when we were lucky to sign 1 guy we drafted in rounds 1-10.

• Like 1

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

He's three months older than Kyle Tucker and in A-Ball.  He may develop into something, but he's not the type of guy you hold onto if you can address a need.

Kyle Tucker is a top 20 MLB prospect.  He's worth multiple seasons of an above average MLB player.  Sandoval is almost two years younger than the average pitcher in the Carolina League. 

11 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Not a fan of this move.  Sandoval is worth more than this.

Don't know much about Sandoval, but he's certainly performed well this year. He'll be 22 in Oct. 

Maldanado is supposed to be very good defensively (and at least the FG metrics agree), so it makes sense to acquire him with McCann hurt and only Stassi on board (with Federowitz sent down). No idea how his framing is supposed to be, but I imagine the club likes something about him that may not be obvious. 

From FG's prospect guy:

StroBro
2:38
Thoughts on Patrick Sandoval?

Eric A Longenhagen
90-92, t 94, above avg curveball, avg change, throws a ton of strikes, backend starter type of guy.

Kris in Seattle
2:20
Why am I getting that funny feeling that Houston once again overpaid for a short term rental a la Liriano/Hernandez? I mean, Sandoval is no Teoscar Hernandez, but Maldonaldo is no Liriano. He's going to backup Stassi and likely won't see any action in the playoffs if he's even on the playoff roster.

Eric A Longenhagen
2:21
Meh. Maybe in a vacuum, but Houston isn't operating in one, they're contending and have pitching depth on the farm so I'm fine with this.
Edited by Hank Chinaski

I just don't like trading away prospects with as much helium as Sandoval.  There is only one other pitcher in Sandoval's league at his age and with a higher K%, and that dude (Miguel Sanchez) is a reliever.  Just because you have depth doesn't mean you can't overpay, especially if you aren't a franchise capable of carrying a  $200M+ payroll. 

You guys make me laugh.

Dude won the gold glove last year and you are grinding over a high A pitcher not in our top 30 prospects?

Get a grip.  WORST CASE SCENARIO we have a gold glove caliber defensive replacement for the playoffs.  What a luxury.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Even if he does, we carried 3 catchers throughout the playoffs last year.

The Astros carried three catchers because their primary DH was also the backup catcher.  If something had happened to McCann during a game and Gattis went in behind the plate, they would have lost the DH spot for the rest of the game.   They don’t have the same issue this year so no need to carry three catchers into the playoffs again.   

The Astros carried three catchers because their primary DH was also the backup catcher.  If something had happened to McCann during a game and Gattis went in behind the plate, they would have lost the DH spot for the rest of the game.   They don’t have the same issue this year so no need to carry three catchers into the playoffs again.   

Good point.

3 hours ago, huge said:

You guys make me laugh.

Dude won the gold glove last year and you are grinding over a high A pitcher not in our top 30 prospects?

Get a grip.  WORST CASE SCENARIO we have a gold glove caliber defensive replacement for the playoffs.  What a luxury.

This.

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

From FG's prospect guy:

StroBro
Thoughts on Patrick Sandoval?

Eric A Longenhagen
90-92, t 94, above avg curveball, avg change, throws a ton of strikes, backend starter type of guy.

Kris in Seattle
2:20
Why am I getting that funny feeling that Houston once again overpaid for a short term rental a la Liriano/Hernandez? I mean, Sandoval is no Teoscar Hernandez, but Maldonaldo is no Liriano. He's going to backup Stassi and likely won't see any action in the playoffs if he's even on the playoff roster.

Eric A Longenhagen
2:21
Meh. Maybe in a vacuum, but Houston isn't operating in one, they're contending and have pitching depth on the farm so I'm fine with this.

Dear Kris in Seattle,

dodgers-lede_.jpg?w=620

36 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

I've been impressed watching Maldonado the last two years for the Angels defensively. Really good arm. I'm skeptical of his bat, but he's a catcher. Not too many hitting catchers around anymore. I like the move as insurance for McCann. 

If you can improve the lineup around him, Maldonado at catcher would be on the same level as Ausmus. The Harper article has me hoping the Astros push those chips in and make that trade. I don't care what is BA is right now, the dude would be a huge upgrade in this lineup.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Three years from now, when Sandoval is pitching long relief for the Angels, we’ll stare at our back-to-back-to-back WS rings and rue this day. 

Seriously, only three in a row?  Fuck that. 

Edited by runthebone

From Wednesday:
Future in question for Astros’ Giles

Houston Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow hates “selling low,” the practice of trading players when their values are near rock bottom. Some rival executives, however, say Luhnow might make an exception in the case of Triple A right-hander Ken Giles, the Astros’ embattled former closer.

The Astros say they are not shopping Giles, explaining that other teams began inquiring about him after he was demoted on July 11, seeking a bargain; a trade, according to some with knowledge of the club’s thinking, is unlikely. Rival execs, though, offer a different spin, saying the Astros are open to moving Giles — and frankly, why wouldn’t they be, considering his inconsistent performances and emotional outbursts this season?

According to sources, one club contacted the Seattle Mariners about a possible three-team trade involving Giles, telling the Mariners, “We can get him. Would you have interest?” The Mariners, intrigued by a potential buy-low opportunity, said yes, but the talks went nowhere.

Giles, who turns 29 on Sept. 20, is 12-for-12 in save opportunities in the majors this season with a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 31-to-3. But his ERA is 4.99 in part due to two dramatic meltdowns in May and another in July. He punched himself in the face after one of those outings, appeared to curse manager A.J. Hinch as he left the mound after another. Lest anyone forget, he also was a wreck during last year’s postseason, posting an 11.74 ERA in 7 2/3 innings and losing his closer’s job during the World Series.

His first five outings at Triple A were reasonably encouraging, but Hinch told reporters on Wednesday the Astros have “no timetable” for Giles’ return. A trade might be best for both parties; Giles is earning $4.6 million, and there is no guarantee the Astros would offer him another contract through arbitration this off-season.

Around the horn

*The Astros’ interest in acquiring left-handed reliever Zach Britton from the Baltimore Orioles was overstated, according to officials with both clubs.

The Orioles made a “fairly aggressive ask,” one source said. The Astros responded that they were not willing to meet the desired price, then declined to make a counter-offer.

The New York Yankees acquired Britton for three pitching prospects on Tuesday night.

1 hour ago, ausjala said:

If you can negotiate a sign and trade for Harper, would you give the Nats Giles, Kemp and one stud prospect?

Not sure what you mean by sign and trade, but I would do a straight up trade:

going out:

.219/.375/.438  .813 OPS, 130 OPS+

coming back:

.216/.363/.475  .839 OPS, 120 OPS+

I would definitely do this trade because I think Tyler White is blocked at the major league level.

16 hours ago, huge said:

You guys make me laugh.

Holy shit, this. admittedly,  I'm way over the top in general on this thread, but anyone freaking out over this trade needs to snort valium. 

This is a good move for us. 

• Like 2

Of course I'd give up Kemp and Giles and somebody else for a Bryce Harper rental. It's Bryce Harper. He's capable of carrying an offense. Sure he's wildly inconsistent. But imagine if he caught fire in October with our top of the order right handed bats around him.

Why would the Nationals want Kemp and Giles?  They will want someone like Bukauskas to headline such a deal.  Doubt it happens but I wouldn't be totally opposed to it either given how Harper could improve this team.

So the Orioles made an "aggressive ask" and then settled on Dillon Tate? Sounds like horseshit but it is Baltimore...

Edited by Fozzz

47 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Why would the Nationals want Kemp and Giles?  They will want someone like Bukauskas to headline such a deal.  Doubt it happens but I wouldn't be totally opposed to it either given how Harper could improve this team.

So the Orioles made an "aggressive ask" and then settled on Dillon Tate? Sounds like horseshit but it is Baltimore...

Yeah, a Harper deal would be built around high-end prospects. If they are trading Harper, they are pulling the plug on 2018. They may take a veteran or two as well (because their roster still figures to compete net year even if Harper leaves), but I can't see them making a deal that doesn't include at least 1 top-5 prospect in the org.