2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

Gripe at Osuna all you want, but you can hang this one on CFM.  Two outs, BB, HBP, bomb.  

And despite that bad inning, we still should have won. They got five hits total. With our full lineup, we just have to do more than that offensively. 

Just now, Gut Wagon said:

And despite that bad inning, we still should have won. They got five hits total. With our full lineup, we just have to do more than that offensively. 

Yep.  Springer and Correa have some thinking to do about their 8th inning performances especially.  ‘Tuve at least got beat by some good pitches.  

The fact Correa and Springer are physically so talented is of little consolation when they so often suffer from the stupids. Not every pro athlete is the cerebral type — in fact, most probably aren't — but come on. You need to have better situational awareness than these guys regularly show.

Cold streaks are going to happen. Baserunning errors are going to happen. Fielding errors are going to happen. But I really wish these two guys in particular would unwedge their heads day in and day out. If the could (and would), we'd be virtually unstoppable. 

Good to see Gurriel finally in the lower part of the lineup. His wrist injury sapped his power and he had no business near clean up, even with the other guys injured, contrary to popular beliefs here.

The $400 million man is proving himself out to be around roughly the 4th or 5th best SS in the AL. I’ll take him, but he’s fragile, overly patient at the plate, and not an elite offensive talent at this stage. 

Springer is fucking trash at leadoff and has been all year. 

I’m cheering for them to pull everything together. They need to get hot and stay healthy. I still think they can beat everyone, but I hope they don’t just plan on, deep down, flipping some sort of switch as the season ends. Even Hinch looks like he believes the 2017 Astros will show up with all of his “hey, we’re not panicking, we’ve got this” self-talk. Hell, Luhnow is doing that too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

The fact Correa and Springer are physically so talented is of little consolation when they so often suffer from the stupids. Not every pro athlete is the cerebral type — in fact, most probably aren't — but come on. You need to have better situational awareness than these guys regularly show.

I think Correa’s problem is that he gets in his own head.  Don’t think. It can only hurt the ball club. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:

I can't believe Springer tried to go 1st to 3rd on that. He had barely gotten to 2nd base when the CF was coming up with the ball. Frustrating, but we probably wouldn't have scored anyways considering Correa didn't feel like swinging the bat.

We would have had one more out to work with and they would have pitched Altuve differently.  I guess it doesn't matter though because either Altuve or Correa would have hit into a double play instead.

Still, they need to man up and lead wire to wire today.  You can't start every game in a 2 to 4 run hole and expect to come back and win every time.

The A's obviously hit with power about as well as any other team out there, so it's not crazy to think they could score 4 runs on 5 hits again. Those guys are always just one swing away from scoring — and if we keep pitching around them to the point we're issuing a wad of walks, they're often one swing away from putting up a crooked number. So we need to just stop doing that.

Of course, there's no way their depleted rotation should continue to hold us down early in games. Putting up more early runs clearly would help, because their bullpen is good enough to cause any team trouble late.

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

The A's obviously hit with power about as well as any other team out there, so it's not crazy to think they could score 4 runs on 5 hits again. Those guys are always just one swing away from scoring — and if we keep pitching around them to the point we're issuing a wad of walks, they're often one swing away from putting up a crooked number. So we need to just stop doing that.

Of course, there's no way their depleted rotation should continue to hold us down early in games. Putting up more early runs clearly would help, because their bullpen is good enough to cause any team trouble late.

Yes - it's to the point where I assume any walk they get results in a run. happened last night, again. 

I’ve looked back numerous pages in here and didn’t’ see any references to the hand gestures to the dugout following a base hit. After some googling I’ve seen various explanations such as “milking the cow” and driving references, “driving the ball”, “drive me in”, etc. Has anyone heard anything definitive in that regard?

20 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

I’ve looked back numerous pages in here and didn’t’ see any references to the hand gestures to the dugout following a base hit. After some googling I’ve seen various explanations such as “milking the cow” and driving references, “driving the ball”, “drive me in”, etc. Has anyone heard anything definitive in that regard?

It's milking the cow. Talked about it during the pre-game yesterday.

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Carlos Correa had a 3-1 count and watched strikes two and three right down the middle.

That is so bad.

The second strike was a breaking ball that was tailing in.  I MAYBE get taking that pitch on a 3-1 count.  The third strike was a fastball/meatball right down the middle.  With two outs and a man in scoring position, no fucking excuse to take that pitch.  

21 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I feel like we don't talk enough about how crappy Reddick has been this year.  

Happy to discuss if you are, because I totally agree. He's been a shadow of his 2017 self.

That said, he seems to have come on a bit lately. Whether or not stats back that up I have no idea, but I just have more confidence in him now than I did three months ago. I realize he isn't any lifesaver, but over his Houston tenure he's made a lot of clutch defensive plays along with getting some key hits. So I know he has it in him.

Oddly, I don't think he gets enough ABs against lefties. Again, no clue what the splits are, but I almost feel he has as good a crack against a lefty as a righty. And since we don't hit lefties that consistently, I see playing Reddick on those days is a move worth trying here and there. 

21 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Happy to discuss if you are, because I totally agree. He's been a shadow of his 2017 self.

That said, he seems to have come on a bit lately. Whether or not stats back that up I have no idea, but I just have more confidence in him now than I did three months ago. I realize he isn't any lifesaver, but over his Houston tenure he's made a lot of clutch defensive plays along with getting some key hits. So I know he has it in him.

Oddly, I don't think he gets enough ABs against lefties. Again, no clue what the splits are, but I almost feel he has as good a crack against a lefty as a righty. And since we don't hit lefties that consistently, I see playing Reddick on those days is a move worth trying here and there. 

reddick is a complementary player.  his weaknesses are glaring when 2-3 of our best players are out.

that said, he seems to be getting better at hitting (or at least homering) off lefties.  kinda like how marwin came alive right-handed.