Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Not to nitpick but just because they had sex with you again doesn't mean they didn't feel dirty, embarrassed or regretted it. There is NO way for anyone to know that with any of their partners with 100% accuracy. 

i can say with 100% accuracy that your mom felt dirty, embarrassed and regretted what we did last night.

wait, shit, i'm still not doing this right.

• Like 2

Just now, JimmyHoffa said:

That is crazy. Where I live if you were in college you went to college parties or the bars. Maybe a year overlap but no 3. I sure as hell wouldn't be caught dead at a HS party when I was in college. 

This.

Maybe someones older brother or sister might be around, but that was about it.

Just now, JimmyHoffa said:

That is crazy. Where I live if you were in college you went to college parties or the bars. Maybe a year overlap but no 3. I sure as hell wouldn't be caught dead at a HS party when I was in college. 

I get it, and I certainly agree that it would tend to be unusual for a college kid to attend a HS party, as opposed to the other way around.  That said, I'm not sure we know the context here for the older 3rd accuser.

27 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
31 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:
Holy shit. 

Ladies and Gentlemen....your G O P!

Told y’all the current GOP is an early stage Nazi party. There is very little they won’t do or sacrifice at this point to remain in power. Instead of very little, maybe nothing at all. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I get it, and I certainly agree that it would tend to be unusual for a college kid to attend a HS party, as opposed to the other way around.  That said, I'm not sure we know the context here for the older 3rd accuser.

If these were at Beach Week, it is likely that there were just a bunch of house parties and nobody knew/cared who was hosting, who was invited, etc.

The Beach Week parties weren't HS parties, they were just parties. Someone who was 20 or so would have no clue who was 16, 18, 20 at the party - this isn't hard.

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You are projecting your experiences onto other people. I'm not saying I'm a better person than you are overall, but I will say that every girl (when I was a boy) and woman I've ever been with sexually came back for more when completely sober. So yes, I'm pretty sure they didn't feel dirty and embarrassed afterward. That's not some sort of internet brag or anything, for example it sounds like you've probably had sex with more women than I have in my life so this isn't a dick-measuring contest.

No, I have not.

No, I have not.

No, I have not.

Again, you're projecting your life experiences onto everyone else. I am trying to explain to you that just because you think a certain behavior is normal doesn't mean it's actually normal for everyone. I have rejected sexual advances by multiple drunk women in my life. To be fair many of those were after I was married, but I also rejected advances well before that when unmarried. You should stick to the part where you feel really badly about things you did in the past instead of trying to normalize them like you are now. I don't think I'm special because of any of this, my entire argument is that I believe my life experience is just as normal as you believe yours is. Now I certainly hope that more people would decline sex with a clearly drunk off her ass woman than would go ahead with it, but I can't say that for sure. Perhaps I have my head up my ass but I choose to believe that more people would decline than would proceed. I heard plenty of boasts from guys growing up and into adulthood, and I never heard anyone talk about how they slept with some basically unconscious girl. I guess I just don't believe that sexual assault being socially unaccepted is unusual. And none of this is to say that I'm a saint, I have stuff I've done in the past that I wish I hadn't done. It's only that none of those things involved having sex with a woman incapable of consenting.

Also, sorry for the derail. I do consider it important that people don't consider non-consensual sex normal, but this should probably be a separate thread at this point. Back to Kavanaugh.

Fair enough, and kudos to you my friend...I'd say that at least in those years, you were definitely better than me.  I guess it was so normalized in my circle of friends that I assumed all guys were like that back in the 80's and 90's.  For a good 10 years, my one and only objective in life was to get laid.   Again, I'm not proud of that period in my life, but I definitely fit the profile of a sexual predator.  I would always seek out the "weak" member of the herd...from a psychological standpoint. 

As cliched as it sounds , everything changed for me after a near-death experience in Peru back in 2001.  Ever since then I've been a good boy...well sexually at least.  It took another decade to stop drinking and getting into bar fights.  

2 minutes ago, VRHorn said:

If these were at Beach Week, it is likely that there were just a bunch of house parties and nobody knew/cared who was hosting, who was invited, etc.

The Beach Week parties weren't HS parties, they were just parties. Someone who was 20 or so would have no clue who was 16, 18, 20 at the party - this isn't hard.

Sounds like the kind of place where 16 can get you 20...unless you're from the DC Elite. 

Why would three women risk so much under penalty of perjury and of course outright public scrutiny for this situation?  Either they are telling the truth, one or more is true but one or more is false, or everything is false but possibly somehow they are getting some other type of motivation to come out?  It's hard for me to fathom that everything is a lie but on the other hand I can't see how much evidence might exist at this point now either absent corroboration.    

Liberalism is a mental disorder
  • Fuck You 14

You know what’s odd about my little anecdote a few posts back: I remember who’s house it was and the neighborhood it was in, but other than the guy who drove me there (and the girl, duh), I don’t remember one other person who was there. I remember me and my friend were out by the pool and split a pint of bourbon, and the activity was all in the pool house. Interesting to have a few specific memories and nothing else. It would have been ‘87 or ‘88.

You guys remember when the Republicans started a pointless war about 15 years ago so they could kill a bunch of foreign brown people, destroying entire regions in the process and leading to hundreds of thousands of deaths and billions of wasted taxpayer money?

Yeah, that's worse than anything Trump has done and it's a party that's been actively hostile to the nation and world for decades.

• Like 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

You guys remember when the Republicans started a pointless war about 15 years ago so they could kill a bunch of foreign brown people, destroying entire regions in the process and leading to hundreds of thousands of deaths and billions of wasted taxpayer money?

Yeah, that's worse than anything Trump has done and it's a party that's been actively hostile to the nation and world for decades.

I disagree with this.  Trump is destroying what America was worth fighting for...like truth, democracy, and the rule of law.

How many lives are those things worth?  

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I disagree with this.  Trump is destroying what America was worth fighting for...like truth, democracy, and the rule of law.

Well, one would think it important to only take the lives of those fighting for those who were denying us truth, democracy, and the rule of law.

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Bombing brown people and increasing spending are two of the only things that can consistently rally some broad bipartisan support in DC. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I disagree with this.

Of course you do.

Trump is destroying what America was worth fighting for...like truth, democracy, and the rule of law.

lol this guy

George W. Bush and his administration lied to the nation and entire world to justify invading a sovereign nation that had nothing to do with 9/11 knowing full well that hundreds of thousands/millions would die as a result. In the process, he erected the framework for the fascist police state we are headed towards right now. DHS, ICE, the overwhelming spying power of the intelligence agencies on your fellow citizens.

But he gave Michelle some candy at McCain's funeral. So... it's a wash I guess.

Trump is SO GROSS! Such bad taste!

This is not a party that has "gone rogue". This is half the American political power spectrum and it's right in line with our values.

• Like 3

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Bush was a bad President, but there’s at least an argument that the goal of the War on Terror was to protect our security against new and emerging threats.  Maybe there were more malicious motives from those in charge, but it’s not certain.  You could have, and many did, in good faith believe they were doing the right thing.

The thing about Trumpism is they all know they aren’t doing what’s right, and they revel in it.  Everything is malicious.

Iraq was a huge mistake but we did give the Iraqis a better opportunity to determine their own destiny as opposed to Saddam’s tyranny. 

The mission going into Iraq was unbelievably idealistic and pretty much doomed to fail but it did have an objective.

48 minutes ago, scottsins said:

... which is why they ask control questions with easy obvious true responses.

ETA: The point is not that polygraphs are dispositive. They are just a piece to be considered with everything else.

Control questions do nothing to get around their inherent limitations.

39 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I thought you had to ask numerous control questions first?  Like basic background info easily confirmed like name, age, name of kids, etc to get a baseline.   Was that done?

That is the idea.  The most common type (and the type used in the study) measures heart rate, respiratory rate, and galvanic skin response.  The aim is to see how one responds to baseline questions and then see how they respond when given questions of interest and compare the two.  I read through the polygraph report and they used the zone comparison test method and they did ask baseline questions for comparison.

Again, I think polygraphs are garbage pseudoscience on par with reading astrological signs, but this particular polygraph examination was useless even by polygraph standards.  They asked her only two yes or no questions of interest at a hotel in the most relaxed of conditions and the examination was administered by a group that they hired.  She could have told you that she killed JFK under those conditions and you probably would not see a stress response.  But again, it doesn't matter anyway because you cannot determine deception by physiological response.  

Edited by Guest

This process shows me GOP is legit scared  of losing majority in the Senate after midterms, and also that further and thorough investigation would be too damaging to Trump’s favorite guy. Otherwise there is no reason to rush. 

Because 48 hours after it happens something else will dominate the news cycle. Remember the Woodward book? Seems like months ago.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Iraq was a huge mistake but we did give the Iraqis a better opportunity to determine their own destiny as opposed to Saddam’s tyranny. 

The mission going into Iraq was unbelievably idealistic and pretty much doomed to fail but it did have an objective.

It did, but it certainly wasn't self-determination for Iraqis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The objective was supposed to be the elimination of weapons of mass destruction, which of course turned out to not exist.

Everything else is just talk and pretty much meaningless. Lots of in and outs, what have yous. Complicated case. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm going to respond to this without any animosity because I think it's important that you understand.

I wasn't part of the social world involved, but I briefly attended an east coast boarding school a few years later (around 1990), and have some familiarity with the world of Brett Kavanaugh as it was in his high school days. 

I had no direct knowledge but I occasionally heard about events like the woman (Julie Swetnick) described. At that time, what she's talking about wasn't broadly understood to be gang rape. In the stories I heard, the victim was cast as a sort of plaything or willing participant, usually branded as a slut, and afterwards attained an extremely toxic and imprisoning sort of popularity that often culminated in substance abuse, depression and leaving school destination unknown. 

I attended my first two years of college at UVA, from 1983 to 1985, which makes me a contemporary of Kavanaugh and the others surrounding the allegations.  There were a number of students in my first year class that were from Georgetown Prep as well as several other similar schools from the DC area (Montgomery County and Northern Virginia).  I recall on more than one occasion hearing of similar incidents occurring in the dorms.  On one occasion in particular I recall a girl slumped on the ground outside a male student's room sobbing after being kicked out of the student's room (presumably post-coitus).  She refused help from me but I later learned that she filed a disciplinary code action against him, and the student (who was from one of those prep schools) ended up getting suspended.  Not suggesting that prep schools breed rapists, but simply to note that back in that time this kind of stuff was not infrequent.  There also was the case of the guy who lived in my dorm that 20 years later wrote an apology to one of the girls he had date raped and they ended up charging and convicting him as a result. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/25/AR2007022500223_pf.html

3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

But you believe that three accomplished, professional women would risk throwing everything away to lie to Congress under oath, simply to have Kavanaugh replaced by a different staunch conservative? 

I believe there are many on both the Left and Right who would risk a lot for a shot at changing the composition of the Court.  I think many on the Left think they have a shot at delaying a confirmation past the end of the year, winning the Senate and blocking a Trump nominee till 2021.