Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And that's different than what the DNC would do how ?  Cause their history has been to circle the wagons around the candidate just like the GOP is doing now.  Please stop with the DNC is a knight in shining armor mythology.

Where in the quote does the writer claim great nobility for the DNC?

Do you just bring it up to make yourself feel better about instinctively siding with an alleged sexual assailant just because he is whatever you think a conservative is in 2018?  SAD

Edit: I see others made the same point and you half-assedly recanted. 

Edited by RomaVicta

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And that's different than what the DNC would do how ?  Cause their history has been to circle the wagons around the candidate just like the GOP is doing now.  Please stop with the DNC is a knight in shining armor mythology.

Have you been living in a bubble for the past 18 months?

Don't answer that, it doesn't matter.

EDIT:  never mind, someone else pointed it out and you acknowledged

Edited by jimmyjazz

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

You're a fucking idiot.  We ran Franken the fuck off, and he did tame shit. 

The other person that was claimed to be in the room denies it ever happening. There is more corroboration it didn’t happen than it did. They’re having a hearing on Monday with Kavanauh and his accuser. I will reserve judgment until then. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Naah, just the once.  But it was an epic shoot down, no question.

I remember being 17,  on second base and frantically rounding for 3rd then suddenly getting the firm “No”.  Action stopped immediately.... it really isn’t that hard (pun intended).

It is disappointing that so many men seem to think holding a woman down, covering her mouth, and trying to disrobe her while your friends are gathered around cheering and laughing is somehow maybe just a little bit over the line but no big deal.

Do that to a man who can fight back and you get your ass whipped and maybe your teeth kicked in. No actual man would ever find in your favor if you tried to take it to court. It's only okay with women because they can't retaliate and it's funny watching them struggle.

Shitbags all around.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The other person that was claimed to be in the room denies it ever happening. There is more corroboration it didn’t happen than it did. They’re having a hearing on Monday with Kavanauh and his accuser. I will reserve judgment until then. 

Actually he did not say that.  He gave a nondenial denial something like “I don’t remember anything like that”.   

BK is now denying being at the party at all.  There were others there.  This is gettin good.

Also, the notion that there's an epidemic of lying woman coming out of the woodwork to bring down innocent men on sexual assault claims is absurd.   Nobody came after Gorsuch.   Nobody came after any of the other GOP candidates for president other than Trump.   There are hundreds of GOP congressmen who don't have accusers coming after them.

And it would not be hard to find a Republican replacement for Kavanaugh who will have no accusers.  Much less one like this, an accomplished professional with supporting documentation from therapy sessions years ago.

Is she lying?  It's possible.   But she seems very credible, and we already have reason to doubt his credibility. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I think I would handle it a lot like Beto Is handling his prior DWI.  

Yea I did this.  It was a mistake and I am truely sorry for my actions.  I hope that the life I tried to live after my mistakes shows my sincerity.

He claims that he was never there at this party. He is not taking ownership like Beto, credit to him for doing so, because he is saying he is never there. Brisket is ready to believe his accuser even though as he well knows as a litigator that the allegation as it currently stands is completely flimsy. I’ve given my thoughts. I’m not ready to sandbag the guy based on what’s out there 

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

It is disappointing that so many men seem to think holding a woman  15 year old girl down, covering her mouth, and trying to disrobe her while your friends are gathered around cheering and laughing is somehow maybe just a little bit over the line but no big deal.

Do that to a man and other actual man who can fight back and you get your ass whipped and maybe your teeth kicked in. No actual man would ever find in your favor if you tried to take it to court. It's only okay with women because they can't retaliate and it's funny watching them struggle.

Shitbags all around.

FIFY

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

He claims that he was never there at this party. He is not taking ownership like Beto, credit to him for doing so, because he is saying he is never there. Brisket is ready to believe his accuser even though as he well knows as a litigator that the allegation as it currently stands is completely flimsy. I’ve given my thoughts. I’m not ready to sandbag the guy based on what’s out there 

Well i agree with you on that.  We will see.  BK denying being at the party at all is a bold move and we will see how it works for him.

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

1) it seems he's changing his story, from "that didn't happen" to "I wasn't even there."  If I wasn't even there...the FIRST THING I WOULD HAVE SAID IS "I wasn't even there."

2) I am not "Ready to believe his accuser."  When the allegation first came out, I stated, in this thread, that without some corroboration, prior history of the story, etc., it was too "he said she said" in a political environment for me to decide the issue.

3) the recent revelation that she discussed this with her counselor YEARS ago does lend the story some credibility that it didn't have when it first came out.  And she didn't try to use that for any political or monetary gain at the time, when she certainly could have.  That is a significant point in favor of credibility of the story.

Do y’all really like what this board has become? I rarely come to check the threads here because there isn’t even a real back and forth anymore. You’ve got Hugo and his socks and Johnny Sack’s stupid retorts. At least I am giving you my thought process. Those of you who remember the West Mall on hornfans know what a shit show this board is comparison. When greggym, who has been around since hornfans, almost gets crowdsourced banned that should be a canary in the coal mine with regard to the lack of real diversity of opinion.

• Like 1

Um, yeah.  They will get right on that.

https://trib.al/PFBu48V

The White House hasn’t asked the FBI to investigate the allegation that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted a woman when they were in high school, a request required for the bureau to take further action, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The FBI’s initial background investigation into Kavanaugh was completed before Christine Blasey Ford came forward with the allegation. Kavanaugh, who has denied the allegation as “completely false,” and Ford have both said they’re willing to testify before Congress.

Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee have said they want the FBI to investigate the allegation. But FBI background investigations are conducted under specific procedures and through requests from government agencies -- which in Kavanaugh’s case would come from the White House, said the two people who asked not to be identified discussing the sensitive matter.

Further investigation by the FBI could be politically volatile, thrusting the bureau into the middle of a tense battle over the future lineup of the Supreme Court. While there appears to be limited evidence for the Federal Bureau of Investigation to work with, the bureau is accustomed to doing professional background investigations, even when the evidence is thin.

"There’s a very large political chess match being played out," said Ronald Hosko, a former senior FBI agent who’s now president of the Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund. "Both sides have very clearly staked out positions on this candidate."

Hosko said it’s up to the White House to define the parameters of any additional investigation, which should insulate the bureau from attacks that it’s overreaching.

“I don’t see the FBI as necessarily being at risk from the politics of this,” Hosko said. “The FBI is basically working for the White House. Their job is to dig into the details and let the White House counsel know if there is derogatory information.”

10 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I remember being 17,  on second base and frantically rounding for 3rd then suddenly getting the firm “No”.  Action stopped immediately.... it really isn’t that hard (pun intended).

..I couldn't take it any longer

Lord I was crazed

And when the feeling came upon me

like a tidal wave

I started swearing to my god and on my mother's grave

That I would love you to the end of time
I swore, that I would love you to the end of time

So now I'm praying for the end of time
To hurry up and arrive...

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Do y’all really like what this board has become? I rarely come to check the threads here because there isn’t even a real back and forth anymore. You’ve got Hugo and his socks and Johnny Sack’s stupid retorts. At least I am giving you my thought process. Those of you who remember the West Mall on hornfans know what a shit show this board is comparison. When greggym, who has been around since hornfans, almost gets crowdsourced banned that should be a canary in the coal mine with regard to the lack of real diversity of opinion.

The board is fine.  It's the Trump GOP that's fucked up.  And the relative silence is from cowardly Rs hiding in shame. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

My guess is the current president might just have a little bit to do with this fact causing your lament. 

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It is disappointing that so many men seem to think holding a woman down, covering her mouth, and trying to disrobe her while your friends are gathered around cheering and laughing is somehow maybe just a little bit over the line but no big deal.

Do that to a man who can fight back and you get your ass whipped and maybe your teeth kicked in. No actual man would ever find in your favor if you tried to take it to court. It's only okay with women because they can't retaliate and it's funny watching them struggle.

Shitbags all around.

Who is saying it’s ok?  

13 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Diversity of opinion does not mean we have to tolerate those who support rape. The board is fine. The opinions of gregggym and Johnny sack are not and have no place in society or here.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Who is saying it’s ok?  

I can't read the thread for you. There are apologists reframing the story as an awkward moment while others have suggested that "haven't we all pushed women a little too far?"

Further, the inclination to dismiss someone's credibility to make oneself feel better about doggedly supporting his political party is just a rung or two below being an accomplice.

edit: Plus, I don't say what you think I said. Read the post again.

Edited by RomaVicta

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I can't read the thread for you. There are apologists reframing the story as an awkward moment while others have suggested that "haven't we all pushed women a little too far?"

Further, the inclination to dismiss someone's credibility to make oneself feel better about doggedly supporting his political party is just a rung or two below being an accomplice.

Your making shit up in your mind.  No one has said given verification of what is claimed it is no big deal.

On the point of "what this board has become," look no further than the far-and-away number one topic in the Shag during the Obama years — the federal deficit.   We went from literally constant posts from Rs decrying the "deficit crisis" to silence overnight, despite Trump being as bad as it gets on the deficit issue.  It's not because the mean ol' libs changed the way the board is.   It's because the cowardly and hypocritical Rs who dominated the conversation on deficits under Obama no longer pretend to give a shit about it under Trump.   It's like that on nearly every issue. 

The problem is Trumpism, not the board or libs. 

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Your making shit up in your mind.  No one has said given verification of what is claimed it is no big deal.

Ah, but there's the magic question.  At what point will you accept evidence as "verification"?

If she testifies under oath and has corroborating evidence dating back several years (notes of her therapist)? 

If that's not enough, will it take an admission from Kavanaugh?  Video tapes of said party?  DNA?

(For what it's worth, I currently have no firm opinion one way or the other on these allegations, but I find the predisposition of many on either side to be predictable and as a result, somewhat disappointing).

Edited by DDD Dad

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Your making shit up in your mind

Like you made up that I'd said people were saying it's okay? 

You're

Another thing: What do you think of the political strategy of going after the accuser, you know, the alleged victim? What does that say about someone's disposition towards what may have happened? 

You're bad at righteousness.

Edited by RomaVicta

31 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

in years you'll be able to talk about republicans in a similar light.  talking about republican legislators who were around for years arguing their positions, and how they were run out of Washington.  And they'll be replaced by the new people who take actual conservative stances and argue for actual conservative policies, and they'll pick up the mantle of offering differing opinions to the legislators who are further to the left.

Edited by Celery Man

Just now, DDD Dad said:

Ah, but there's the magic question.  At what point will you accept evidence as "verification"?

If she testifies under oath and has corroborating evidence dating back several years (notes of her therapist)? 

If that's not enough, will it take an admission from Kavanaugh?  Video tapes of said party?  DNA?

How about starting with confirmation the party occurred by anyone else besides the 3 we know of.

maybe someone who has witnessed Kavanuagh black out drunk and “rapey”.

23 minutes ago, Lurch said:

EL OH FUCKING EL. No one in here believes this. Not even you.

Holy fuck.  Isn't this the asshole that said that SCOTUS is so important, that the GOP should lie, cheat and steal to get Kavanaugh seated?  Wasn't that just a week or two ago?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

How about starting with confirmation the party occurred by anyone else besides the 3 we know of.

maybe someone who has witnessed Kavanuagh black out drunk and “rapey”.

Corroboration by anybody else that the party took place, that Kavanaugh was there, and was drunk as a skunk would probably close the deal. 

The most baffling thing to me is the inability of the “conservatives” of this board to see this is the time to punt on Kavanaugh.

It’s okay to punt, you can still win.

If you really cared about the conservative movement, you’d recognize this situation is toxic AF and will only get worse over the week.  

Just get a new guy lined up and make him a winner. 

It’s like riding the Scott Pruitt horse forever despite plenty of adequate replacements, except this is worse.

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The most baffling thing to me is the inability of the “conservatives” of this board to see this is the time to punt on Kavanaugh.

If you really cared about the conservative movement, you’d recognize this situation is toxic AF and will only get worse over the week.  

It’s like riding the Scott Pruitt horse forever despite plenty of adequate replacements, except this is worse.

They can’t punt because this guy is the protection. There’s a clear reason for him, and him alone, being the guy. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Delay worries them. This was a rush job. The know what they did to fuck Merrick Garland and they’re worried about it being done right back to them.  It’s just how they think as sycophants to a criminal president.