Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

This is a total derail. But I’m genuinely curious how many other people who Ive always considered to be perfectly normal and rational share this sentiment. I read that and every bit of it strikes me as completely insane. But maybe I’m the one who doesn’t have a handle on how people are feeling.

I don't know why you think it's insane.  I don't trust the Trumpkins to go down quietly.  I know there is the popular feeling that they're just a bunch of fat, lazy blowhards, but I don't buy it.  I fully expect extreme pushback, some violent, if Trump is impeached or otherwise removed from office.

Sure, it might remain local, and easily controlled by law enforcement.  It might not.  We're talking as much as 30% of the population here.  I'm simply saying that I now have a far more concrete feeling in my gut at what motivates men to fight back.  Why is that surprising? 

4 hours ago, Horndog said:

I'm a moderate drinker, but I've had my moments of excess.  In my early 20's there were a couple of occasions where people described events that had happened the night before that I had absolutely no recollection of, including behavior completely out of character for me.  (Thankfully, none involved sexual assault.)  I would not have believed the accounts except for the fact they came from people I trusted and with no motive to fabricate.  It is entirely possible that Kavanaugh simply has no recall of this event  --  especially since he was not confronted about it at the time  --  and does not think he is capable of sexual assault.  But the accuser is much more likely to have specific recall of such a traumatic event, especially if she had not had much to drink.  The fact that she brought this up in therapy years ago is proof she is not making something up now.  She knew when she came forward what a hell her life would like be for years to come.  The bottom line is that they both might be telling the "truth" as they perceive it.  But I believe her.  It happened.  Kavanaugh may truly not remember it.   Or he may remember it differently  (it was just horseplay; I stopped when she said "no"; she was coming on to me; whatever).  Or he may remember it as it actually happened.  But he is now in too deep for anything other than total denial of anything happening at all.  

I think that's likely the truth.  I have no reason to believe Dr. Ford, and the fact that she discussed it with a therapist six years ago convinces me that she's telling the truth.

But I also think that it's entirely possible that he has no memory of the event, especially if he was as drunk as she's indicating.

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

I would love to hear the background on how they got testimony from 60+ females classmates within a few hours of this story breaking.  Not proof of anything, but that HIGHLY suggests that they knew there was shit in the closet.

As pointed out above, it is presumably because someone got some indication of what Feinstein was holding.

But that raises a whole other set of questions, doesn't it?  As in, you knew that there was a credible accusation out there of attempted rape and the only thing you did was get a letter signed by 65 high school classmates?  

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Still seems fishy as hell that they could whip up a list of women so quickly.  This feels like him pulling names out of a yearbook and saying she liked him back in HS, etc.

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Like Trump he seems to prefer the route of burning in flames rather than admit he was wrong/lying.

If he doesn’t pull this off, I imagine his future as a judge is finished.  

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

I would love to hear the background on how they got testimony from 60+ females classmates within a few hours of this story breaking.  Not proof of anything, but that HIGHLY suggests that they knew there was shit in the closet.

Kavanaugh went to an all boys school- so not even classmates. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think that's likely the truth.  I have no reason to believe Dr. Ford, and the fact that she discussed it with a therapist six years ago convinces me that she's telling the truth.

But I also think that it's entirely possible that he has no memory of the event, especially if he was as drunk as she's indicating.

As pointed out above, it is presumably because someone got some indication of what Feinstein was holding.

But that raises a whole other set of questions, doesn't it?  As in, you knew that there was a credible accusation out there of attempted rape and the only thing you did was get a letter signed by 65 high school classmates?  

It's easy to lose recollection also when it means nothing to you in addition to alcohol. 

3 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

I saw a blurb earlier that reporters contacted over half the signees, and only 2 still support Kavanaugh. 

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

I saw a blurb earlier that reporters contacted over half the signees, and only 2 still support Kavanaugh. 

Well is said that only two replied, many of the others did not respond or were not reached. But hey twist the news however you would like. 

Kavanaugh’s defenders included some of the 65 high-school acquaintances who signed an open letter last week vouching for his character after the allegations were first reported. 

“I stand by the letter I signed. I do not know this woman,” said Stephanie Conway McGill by email on Sunday, referring to Ford. 

Meghan McCaleb said: “I absolutely stand by the letter we signed.”

"I 100 percent stand behind my letter," Julie DeVol, another of the women who signed the letter, told POLITICO Monday. 

"I know him very well and I’m 100 percent behind him," Suzanne Matan said in a brief interview.

"The Brett Kavanaugh I know is a good and decent person, and I have never seen him treat women with anything but respect," Virginia Hume wrote on Twitter Monday.

Two ex-girlfriends of Kavanaugh who also signed the letter, Maura Fitzgerald and Maura Kane, also released statements Monday on Kavanaugh's behalf.

a lot different then only 2 support but SPIN SPIN SPIN 

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

DC Insider buddy has a conspiracy theory....Kavanaugh was a feint all along, and Trump will withdraw him and replace him with a woman. An Eva Braun type, meaning a Nazi. 

You’re buddy is a fucking loon if he actually believes that. I like Kavanaugh as a judge and want him confirmed before the GOP sink ships and because I want to vote for Beto with no qualms for doing so. On a personal level, I feel terrible for him and his family that he has to endure these unsubstantiated rumors. He does not have a pattern of behavior of sexual harassment or assault unlike scumbags like Harvey Weinstein or even less egregious offenders. Can you imagine the humiliation and anger he is feeling. Who on earth can or will want to subject themselves to such assaults by seeking public office. Who here can withstand such scrutiny from teenage years where stupid pranks, off-color jokes and other immature acts occurred. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

One thing is for sure, the GOP should not have nominated Kavanaugh.

There are probably dozens of other candidates without the baggage.

Let’s say someone out of the woodwork claims you’re a bully to them while you were a freshman in high school when you really just teased them. How do you defend something that you may or may not have done decades ago and which you don’t have a pattern of committing such acts to corroborate. I can only imagine how helpless and frustrating that feels when you have a whole adult life that in no way reflects such accusation. I really feel for the guy.

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

Let’s say someone out of the woodwork claims you’re a bully to them while you were a freshman in high school when you really just teased them. How do you defend something that you may or may not have done decades ago and which you don’t have a pattern of committing such acts to corroborate. I can only imagine how helpless and frustrating that feels when you have a whole adult life that in no way reflects such accusation. I really feel for the guy.

This was an awful nominee before the Dr came forward.

Literally the first thing Kavanaugh said was a lie.

Many of his records are being blocked by Trump executive privilege and he has a memory worse than Jeff Sessions when pressed under questioning.

I think Brett needs to be recalled in front of the committee and answer this pointed and sternly worded question:
”Yes or no Mr Kavanaugh.  Have you ever masturbated into a sink or trash can?”
I mean we are talking a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court here. 

Have you jerked it in a sock?
Have you jerked it in a box?

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

just to get it on record - you will feel differently about this if more similarly credible stories come out of the woodwork over the next few days?  I have no way of knowing that that is a thing that might happen, just checking since you hit on that point (no history of this) several times.

When this came up on Friday or whenever, I didn't put much stock in it being a real thing.  Since the woman came forward and has some history to indicate that she didn't just make this up, it seems more believable to me.  Although clearly this should be investigated more fully.

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

If he had kept his nose a little cleaner when dealing with Congress now and In the past, and if there weren’t so many documents kept private, people might give him a little more credibility.  

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09/17/sen-orrin-hatch-says-kavanaugh-denied-being-at-party-described-by-accuser-ford.html

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, told reporters Monday that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh categorically denied allegations that he committed sexual assault at a high school party in the early 1980s -- and told the senator he was not at a party similar to what his accuser described.

Kavanaugh's accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, made her name and her accusations public in an interview with The Washington Post Sunday. She claimed Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, tried to remove her clothing and put his hand over her mouth when she tried to scream.

In a statement to Fox News, Hatch's office said that Kavanaugh told the senator "he was not at a party like the one [Ford] describes" and added that Ford "may be mistaking [Kavanaugh] for someone else."

I think the process starts by understanding how she knows he was there - that he was the one.  And there is a very short list of people whose opinion matters - two of Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Jeff Flake and Bob Corker.

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

If Trump pulls Kavanaugh and replaces her with an even more Trumpian woman, he would get great ratings. And that's one of the only things he cares about. Fucking ratings, rather than approval or making wise choices. 

Trump's not going to pull Kavanaugh.  Maybe Kavanaugh will be talked into stepping down by GOPers in the Senate who don't want this hanging over the elections. But to Trump, Kavanaugh's shady past with women is a feature, not a bug.   He wants a Court of white men.  He wants to show women and minorities that white men will be making decisions for them.  He wants the visual of a white, preppy, man being the Supreme Court nominee.  And, hey, if there's some sexually aggressive, behavior that trump in his two year old understanding of life views as alpha male, all the better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

just to get it on record - you will feel differently about this if more similarly credible stories come out of the woodwork over the next few days?  I have no way of knowing that that is a thing that might happen, just checking since you hit on that point (no history of this) several times.

When this came up on Friday or whenever, I didn't put much stock in it being a real thing.  Since the woman came forward and has some history to indicate that she didn't just make this up, it seems more believable to me.  Although clearly this should be investigated more fully.

For the record, yes, I would feel differently about his nomination if there are more credible stories that come out of the woodwork corroborating a pattern of behavior. I’m looking at this on a purely human level in my discussion here with respect to this issue. Just thinking of times roughhousing or playing a joke on a girl as a dumb kid would come bite you as a nominee to the SC as an adult with no record of misconduct. It should scare the shit out of anyone. I don’t care if you’re a Democrat or Republican, if you’re getting into a high profile political appointment with how polarized things are with both sides trying to get the other, you’re risking humiliation if something like this can sink you. Fuck public service. 

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Just thinking of times roughhousing or playing a joke on a girl as a dumb kid would come bite you as a nominee to the SC as an adult with no record of misconduct.

Sorry, gotta call that out.

I may have played jokes on girls as a dumb kid, etc.  Never once did I hold a girl down, trying to remove her clothes, and cover her mouth as she screamed.  Never even close.  And, umm, to characterize THOSE acts as equal to "roughhousing or playing a joke" is freaking sickening.

I'm not commenting on his guilt or innocence here (although there now appears to be some prior corroboration of her account).  I'm just noting that...holy shit.  Dude, the issue being raised here isn't "roughhousing or playing a joke."  It's fucking terrifying conduct.  If that happened to any woman, she would rightly be fucking terrified and feel violated.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

For the record, yes, I would feel differently about his nomination if there are more credible stories that come out of the woodwork corroborating a pattern of behavior. I’m looking at this on a purely human level in my discussion here with respect to this issue. Just thinking of times roughhousing or playing a joke on a girl as a dumb kid would come bite you as a nominee to the SC as an adult with no record of misconduct. It should scare the shit out of anyone. I don’t care if you’re a Democrat or Republican, if you’re getting into a high profile political appointment with how polarized things are with both sides trying to get the other, you’re risking humiliation if something like this can sink you. Fuck public service. 

If it turns out she told her therapist years before Trump was even thinking of running,  that's about as Apolitical as you can get.   What I think you mean is, that 1 credible report is not enough you, you'd rather risk having  a rapist serve for life on the highest court in the land...  Surely there is someone as qualified without perjury/rape allegations.

30 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You apologize and ask for forgiveness. That’s what rational people do. The GOP decides to attack the person who faced the attempted rape

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Loco said:

If it turns out she told her therapist years before Trump was even thinking of running,  that's about as Apolitical as you can get.   What I think you mean is, that 1 credible report is not enough you, you'd rather risk having  a rapist serve for life on the highest court in the land...  Surely there is someone as qualified without perjury/rape allegations.

If he is really a rapist he would have a pattern of behavior corroborating this act and he should withdraw if that’s the case. This allegation alone is not enough in my book. The editorial board of the WSJ agrees with me. Let me give y’all a hypo to help explain my thoughts. Say you’re an awkward teen and misread the signals of the chick you’re out on a date with and tried to kiss her at the end of the date. You make a move, are shot down but in no way we’re you trying force yourself on her. Is that now considered trying to sexually assault her? What if that chick now in this day and age believes that she was almost assaulted. You're this guy and have no history of harassment or abuse.   Honestly, how would you or Brisket respond or deal with that. Can you imagine the helplessness you’d feel. Honestly I’d feel bad for the guy if he was Merrick Garland and not Kavanaugh. 

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

If he is really a rapist he would have a pattern of behavior corroborating this act and he should withdraw if that’s the case. This allegation alone is not enough in my book. The editorial board of the WSJ agrees with me. Let me give y’all a hypo to help explain my thoughts. Say you’re an awkward teen and misread the signals of the chick you’re out on a date with and tried to kiss her at the end of the date. You make a move, are shot down but in no way we’re you trying force yourself on her. Is that now considered trying to sexually assault her? What if that chick now in this day and age believes that she was almost assaulted. You're this guy and have no history of harassment or abuse.   Honestly, how would you or Brisket respond or deal with that. Can you imagine the helplessness you’d feel. Honestly I’d feel bad for the guy if he was Merrick Garland and not Kavanaugh. 

Why are you inventing a scenario that doesn't apply here?   He doesn't claim to have made a misinterpreted awkward move.   If he did, that would be a different story.    He's denied knowing her, being at a party with her, or ever doing anything to her.   Your scenario is off the table.  Either she's lying/got the wrong guy or he's lying. 

47 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

One thing is for sure, the GOP should not have nominated Kavanaugh.

There are probably dozens of other candidates without the baggage.

As I stated several pages back, they weren't looking to fill the position with a qualified conservative judge. It seems to me that they want Kavanaugh because he has guaranteed to do what he can to protect the GOP and Trump.

They needed a partisan slimeball and this is the most qualified slimeball they could find. The GOP hides documents, instructs Kavanaugh to run out the clock during committee questions, and hopes the stink of the nominee quickly passes under our noses in a rush to confirm.

As with most things in the Trump ascendancy, we must get out of the habit of looking at these actions as though they are somehow related to similar actions by prior administrations. A better slimeball than Kavanaugh could have walked into the Oval Office with a bloody bag of dead fetuses and been embraced if he would be a Trump guy and try to help the criminal enterprise that the GOP has apparently become.

I hate these shitbags.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You apologize and ask for forgiveness. That’s what rational people do. The GOP decides to attack the person who faced the attempted rape

And that's different than what the DNC would do how ?  Cause their history has been to circle the wagons around the candidate just like the GOP is doing now.  Please stop with the DNC is a knight in shining armor mythology.

9 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

If your go-to “move” is to pin a girl down and cover her mouth while she screams, I’d say we’ve moved a *little* beyond socially awkward, aw shucks territory.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I did go in for the kiss once, and she turned away and said "I don't think so."  We were parked in front of Kinsolving.  If she came out and told that story today, and accused me of assault, I'd be fine.  Because I told that story to probably 10 people the night it happened.  And to another 40 friends over the years.  I've told it the exact same way - the way it happened - every time.  If she said "Brisket assaulted me!", I'd answer "well, I'm very disturbed and disappointed to hear Miss X recall that evening that way.  Because an assault isn't what happened at all.  In fact, it was about as all-american an evening as you could have.  We went and saw a movie, got ice cream, and had a great time.  We laughed, and had fun.  At the end of the evening, in my car, I leaned in for the kiss, and she said no.  And that was that -- we never even touched.  I actually thought it was humorous, the way she so cleanly shot me down.  And I told friends about it that very night, laughing at my own failure with her.  Several of them are here today to confirm that fact - at least one of them is female, there may have been others I talked to then.  I can also refer you to numerous people I've told the exact same story to over the years, without variation.  Their names are available, if you'd like.  Again, I take sexual assault and every person's boundaries quite seriously -- which is why I accepted her answer of "no" for a kiss that night without an ounce of resistance or argument.  I may not have been her perfect date, but I was a gentleman, and so I will remain."

See, I can say that....because I've never freaking HELD A WOMAN DOWN AND COVERED HER MOUTH WHILE SHE SCREAMED.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Let me give y’all a hypo to help explain my thoughts. Say you’re an awkward teen and misread the signals of the chick you’re out on a date with and tried to kiss her at the end of the date. You make a move, are shot down but in no way we’re you trying force yourself on her. Is that now considered trying to sexually assault her? What if that chick now in this day and age believes that she was almost assaulted. You're this guy and have no history of harassment or abuse.   Honestly, how would you or Brisket respond or deal with that. Can you imagine the helplessness you’d feel. Honestly I’d feel bad for the guy if he was Merrick Garland and not Kavanaugh. 

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Why are you inventing a scenario that doesn't apply here?   He doesn't claim to have made a misinterpreted awkward move.   If he did, that would be a different story.    He's denied knowing her, being at a party with her, or ever doing anything to her.   Your scenario is off the table.  Either she's lying/got the wrong guy or he's lying. 

No shit. 

If he is really a rapist he would have a pattern of behavior corroborating this act and he should withdraw if that’s the case. This allegation alone is not enough in my book. The editorial board of the WSJ agrees with me.

The even-handed guys at the WSJ editorial board gave you the thumbs up? I guess that settles it, then.

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You're a fucking idiot.  We ran Franken the fuck off, and he did tame shit. 

55 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I think I would handle it a lot like Beto Is handling his prior DWI.  

Yea I did this.  It was a mistake and I am truely sorry for my actions.  I hope that the life I tried to live after my mistakes shows my sincerity.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And that's different than what the DNC would do how ?  Cause their history has been to circle the wagons around the candidate just like the GOP is doing now.  Please stop with the DNC is a knight in shining armor mythology.

Oh I guess I missed the part where I praised the DNC. But since you brought it up, the DNC ran Franken out of the Senate.