Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

32 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

On the point of "what this board has become," look no further than the far-and-away number one topic in the Shag during the Obama years — the federal deficit.   We went from literally constant posts from Rs decrying the "deficit crisis" to silence overnight, despite Trump being as bad as it gets on the deficit issue.  It's not because the mean ol' libs changed the way the board is.   It's because the cowardly and hypocritical Rs who dominated the conversation on deficits under Obama no longer pretend to give a shit about it under Trump.   It's like that on nearly every issue. 

The problem is Trumpism, not the board or libs. 

Call them out for their hypocrisy then. Don’t try to crowdsource ban them like with greggym. I like seeing different viewpoints. I don’t like ganging up on non-trolls

35 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

On the point of "what this board has become," look no further than the far-and-away number one topic in the Shag during the Obama years — the federal deficit.   We went from literally constant posts from Rs decrying the "deficit crisis" to silence overnight, despite Trump being as bad as it gets on the deficit issue.  It's not because the mean ol' libs changed the way the board is.   It's because the cowardly and hypocritical Rs who dominated the conversation on deficits under Obama no longer pretend to give a shit about it under Trump.   It's like that on nearly every issue. 

The problem is Trumpism, not the board or libs. 

You’re not wrong, but it’s more general than that.

Partisans of the party out of power are always the loudest on the board. And their opponents bemoan how one-sided everything is. Shaggy was nothing but anti-Bush threads with Republicans complaining it was a far left board before it was nothing but anti-Obama threads with Democrats complaining it was far right. Rinse and repeat.

The real difference this time is the strong level of disdain for Trump from multiple fronts instead of just one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

People who refuse to accept facts as such are in fact trolls

Even Anastasis gets shit on here and he is no way a troll. the level of conversation here is the worst in terms of true discussion and debate the 20+ years of Longhorns messageboards IMO. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, horncyclist said:
2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:
Even Anastasis gets shit on here and he is no way a troll. the level of conversation here is the worst in terms of true discussion and debate the 20+ years of Longhorns messageboards IMO. 

I don't know. The last days of shaggy were pretty bad.

Agreed. It’s gotten progressively worse from West Mall onwards. Posters you used to see frequent the West Mall or earlier days of Shaggy don’t even bother to post in the politics board. I don’t care that I have unpopular opinions or ragged on or made fun of for tailored jerseys on the other boards. The atmosphere in this politics board just sucks and I’m no Trumpkin. I’m fucking voting for Beto and voted for Kerry and Obama in the past.

19 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Call them out for their hypocrisy then. Don’t try to crowdsource ban them like with greggym. I like seeing different viewpoints. I don’t like ganging up on non-trolls

I didn't try to crowdsource ban greggym.   I don't even know what you're talking about.   But crowdsourcing is a relatively recent addition here.   The pos/rep system is also different than at the Shag because it's public.  As a result, it became more of a substitute for calling bullshit on terrible posts or, alternatively, a substitute for "this," than it was on the Shag, where there was no public element to up or downvoting posts.  The combination led to some temporary close calls when crowdsourcing was added here after several months.    But there's no trend of bullshit crowdsourcing of political views here, which is probably why you keep harping on one example of a poster who didn't even get banned. 

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Agreed. It’s gotten progressively worse from West Mall onwards. Posters you used to see frequent the West Mall or earlier days of Shaggy don’t even bother to post in the politics board. I don’t care that I have unpopular opinions or ragged on or made fun of for tailored jerseys on the other boards. The atmosphere in this politics board just sucks and I’m no Trumpkin. I’m fucking voting for Beto and voted for Kerry and Obama in the past.

Then don’t post or read. This is pretty simple. No one forces you to read or post here. Those of us that post regularly here have plenty of disagreements and for the most part we debate them just fine. The only people who have issue are those that troll this board.

And I’m not sure what any of this has to do with the nomination if Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Then don’t post or read. This is pretty simple. No one forces you to read or post here. Those of us that post regularly here have plenty of disagreements and for the most part we debate them just fine. The only people who have issue are those that troll this board.

And I’m not sure what any of this has to do with the nomination if Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

It’s relevant because people are meanies! Bigger meanies than in the early 2000s!

• Like 2

I guess the easiest way to sum this up is that our country is largely run by former drunken frat boys.  

Right now I am nearly of the opinion that the best thing for the GOP is honestly to pull his nomination.  IF the pussy grabber-in-chief can be convinced not to take it to the mat.  If that is not the case a commercial showing Grassley being an ass to Anita Hill and also to miss Ford is a WONDERFUL change for an advertisement to push angry women to the polls.  I would avoid Ford testifying because women are gonna know who is telling the truth because this ship happens to nearly all of them at some point.  Most get lucky and largely escape, but the memory is seared.  

It will be interesting to see the GOP try to ramrod and accused attempted rapist though the nomination process without an investigation. If so, Ted Cruz can kiss his seat goodbye.

The good news is Trump is trying like hell to distract with his further attempts to damage the justice system with unprecedented releases of material from an ongoing investigation.  So the shit show rolls on... but things are sticky here for the GOP.  I honestly do not think the nominee has the votes to pass right now.  Ford's testimony is gonna be horrifying for the GOP as the angry old white guys try their best to smear a women who did not seek nor desire the spotlight.  

Edited by horn4life

25 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I didn't try to crowdsource ban greggym.   I don't even know what you're talking about.   But crowdsourcing is a relatively recent addition here.   The pos/rep system is also different than at the Shag because it's public.  As a result, it became more of a substitute for calling bullshit on terrible posts or, alternatively, a substitute for "this," than it was on the Shag, where there was no public element to up or downvoting posts.  The combination led to some temporary close calls when crowdsourcing was added here after several months.    But there's no trend of bullshit crowdsourcing of political views here, which is probably why you keep harping on one example of a poster who didn't even get banned. 

Someone tried to ban me? Why, because I have a different opinion? What is this, the Berkeley website.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Yep.  All political message boards with public voting systems will tend towards polarization & echo chambers over time.  It's a bad format for such topics.  

The most baffling thing to me is the inability of the “conservatives” of this board to see this is the time to punt on Kavanaugh.

It’s okay to punt, you can still win.

If you really cared about the conservative movement, you’d recognize this situation is toxic AF and will only get worse over the week.  

Just get a new guy lined up and make him a winner. 

It’s like riding the Scott Pruitt horse forever despite plenty of adequate replacements, except this is worse.

I’m ready for them to bounce him and bring down Amy Coney Barrett

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Just thinking of times roughhousing or playing a joke on a small boy as a dummy would come bite you as a nominee to the SC as an adult with no record of misconduct?

I didn't know you were a pedo state fan?  I'm a sooner here, so I'm not throwing stones.  I just had no idea.

Carry on...

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

I don't know. The last days of shaggy were pretty bad.

I think that when shaggy went total romper room it was great. At least we are no longer giving people time outs for posting gifs. That was beyond stupid.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

I think Anastasis will readily admit to trolling occasionally.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Probably bits and pieces posted upstream, but I digress:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/09/the-many-mysteries-of-brett-kavanaughs-finances/

Before President Donald Trump nominated Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, he had a lot of debt. In May 2017, he reported owing between $60,004 and $200,000 on three credit cards and a loan against his retirement account. By the time Trump nominated him to the high court in July 2018, those debts had vanished. Overall, his reported income and assets didn’t seem sufficient to pay off all that debt while maintaining his upper-class lifestyle: an expensive house in an exclusive suburban neighborhood, two kids in a $10,500-a-year private school, and a membership in a posh country club reported to charge $92,000 in initiation fees. His financial disclosure forms have raised more questions than they’ve answered, leading to speculation about whether he’s had a private benefactor and what sorts of conflicts that relationship might entail. 

A number of the questions Whitehouse sent Kavanaugh dealt with the house he bought in tony Chevy Chase, Maryland, in 2006 for $1.225 million. Kavanaugh would have needed $245,000 in cash for the traditional 20 percent down payment on the house. But in 2005, when his nomination to the DC Circuit was pending, Kavanaugh reported a total net worth to the Senate of about $91,000, which reflected a mere $10,000 in the bank and $25,000 in credit card debt. According to his financial disclosure forms before and after the purchase of his house in 2006, Kavanaugh’s liquid assets and bank balances never totaled more than $65,000, and those balances didn’t decline after the purchase of the house. 

The White House didn’t fully address how Kavanaugh managed to incur all that debt and pay it off in a matter of months on his federal judge’s salary of $220,600 a year. (His wife left the workforce in 2010 and returned in 2015, when she took a part-time, $66,000-a-year job as the town manager in their village of 225 homes.) A spokesman told the Post in July that Kavanaugh had used his credit cards to purchase Washington Nationals season tickets and playoff game tickets for himself and friends, who later paid him back. The White House also said some of the debt came from home improvements. 

Whitehouse also asked about Kavanaugh’s membership in the Chevy Chase Club, which he joined in 2016. In his responses to a Senate questionnaire before his confirmation hearing, Kavanaugh made the club sound like a basic rec center, writing, “The Chevy Chase Club is a recreational club. We joined because the club has an outdoor hockey rink and a girls ice hockey program, and because of its gym and sports facilities.”

But the Chevy Chase Club is a lot more than a gym. Whitehouse noted in his questions that the club’s initiation fee is reportedly $92,000, plus more than $9,000 in annual dues. The private country club founded in 1892 is so elite that a neighborhood realtor once told the Guardian that “you can be a CEO, a billionaire, but you can’t get in.” Its website offers no insight as to how someone might go about joining—it’s by invitation only. But the website does outline the dress code: no jeans, no collarless shirts, and hats must be worn “visor forward.” Any guest hoping to play tennis with a member must appear on the court dressed only in white.  

Whitehouse wanted to know how someone with less than $65,000 in the bank came up with the initiation fee to join the club. Did someone help him? And if so, who? Kavanaugh wrote in his response that he paid the full price to join the club, as well as the annual dues, with no discounts. Befitting a club member, he declined to say exactly how much that initiation fee was.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

$10,500 for his kid’s school tuition is considered pricey. Have you seen what it costs to send your kid to Kinkaid or St John’s? That’s surprisingly affordable for DC

It's $21,000 per year.  2 kids.

And he's also a member of Congressional Country Club.  He became a full member in 2017 (initiation fee $120,000).  It's listed on his disclousres.

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

It's $21,000 per year.  2 kids.

And he's also a member of Congressional Country Club.  He became a full member in 2017 (initiation fee $120,000).  It's listed on his disclousres.

It’s a good question how he can afford all of that on his salary. His folks are still alive. Maybe he works for the Navarro cartel on the side.

26 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

$10,500 for his kid’s school tuition is considered pricey. Have you seen what it costs to send your kid to Kinkaid or St John’s? That’s surprisingly affordable for DC

A private school that charged less than $11,000?  It would have to be parochial, right?   Or was that his cost after financial aid?  

56 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yup. My kids went to one of those two schools and it was around 10k at the prek level, around 15k by middle school and in closibg in on 20k by high school.  Thats just tution.  There are the annual fund drives, uniform fees, book fairs, cafeteria fees,  trip fees, charity events, teacher gift drives, and various other hidden fees

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And that's different than what the DNC would do how ?  Cause their history has been to circle the wagons around the candidate just like the GOP is doing now.  Please stop with the DNC is a knight in shining armor mythology.

Like they did for Al Franken and Anthony Weiner right? And Elliot Sptizer?    

You know you have little wiggle room to stand on when you go to the tired and failed 'bothsides!" attempt to deflect.    It is difficult to see the white knight in shiny armor when you have eyes caked with shit.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The other person that was claimed to be in the room denies it ever happening. There is more corroboration it didn’t happen than it did. They’re having a hearing on Monday with Kavanauh and his accuser. I will reserve judgment until then. 

There were more Baylor football players and coaches who denied the allegations from the women.     Send your daughter there.

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m sure their readers will hold them accountable 

You mean like when I believe ABC news misidentified the idiot that shot Gabby Giffords as a member of the tea party when it was someone else. Or CNN retracing their Lanny Davis story when Lanny said he was wrong. Like that?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, horn4life said:

I guess the easiest way to sum this up is that our country is largely run by former drunken frat boys.  

I was a “drunken frat boy” back in the day, I’d like to think that I’ve matured in the ensuing 40 years.  

I don’t see how that is a disqualifier. 

Should all of the GDI’s be disqualified because they were “hippie dope smokers” back then?

I don’t think so. 

This Supreme Court thing seems especially stupid to me. 

I’m glad I’m not up for a Supreme Court justice position  I absolutely tried to cop a feel on a gal that wasn’t necessarily into it back in 1976. She pushed my hand away and we left it at that. 

I never would have imagined that could have disqualified me from any kind of a job 40 years in the future.

Obviously times have changed. It is still stupid  

• Like 2

I was a “drunken frat boy” back in the day, I’d like to think that I’ve matured in the ensuing 40 years.  
I don’t see how that is a disqualifier. 
Should all of the GDI’s be disqualified because they were “hippie dope smokers” back then?
I don’t think so. 
This Supreme Court thing seems especially stupid to me. 
I’m glad I’m not up for a Supreme Court justice position  I absolutely tried to cop a feel on a gal that wasn’t necessarily into it back in 1976. She pushed my hand away and we left it at that. 
I never would have imagined that could have disqualified me from any kind of a job 40 years in the future.
Obviously times have changed. It is still stupid  

Did you read the allegations?

12 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

If he’s an agressive drunk there should be more people who have seen that side of him.

Not if everybody around him was drunk. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/17/politics/mark-judge-brett-kavanaugh-high-school/index.html

Now that Judge's recollection of the alleged event could become a focal point for all those looking into the accusation, flags have been raised regarding his own past writings. 

Judge wrote the book "Wasted: Tales of a Gen X Drunk," where he details his experiences of extensive drinking while attending Georgetown Preparatory School. 

Judge writes that he is "shocked" about what he got away with in high school -- recalling beach parties that hundreds of people would attend.

At another point he describes his high school as "positively swimming in alcohol."

Judge also references a "Bart O'Kavanaugh," who he writes vomited in someone's car. It has not been confirmed whether this is a reference to Kavanaugh.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Does anyone think this Monday hearing is going to happen?  No way the GOP Senators want to be questioning a lady about her forcible rape allegations, especially Ted Cruz.

It seems like the hearing was scheduled to buy time and politically diffuse the situation.

I can’t see the gop senators cross examining an assault victim on tv.  Assuming she can coherently testify, I would expect each senator will reiterate how they are a champion of women’s rights.   And with each comment, kavanaughs chances go down.