Trivial things that please the ever living shit out of you

Tailleur17

Academy is selling Mother's Day stuff with "Wifey" emblazoned on it.  Makes me chuckle and wonder how many other dudes my age see that when they walk in and think the same thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

While on the back patio a few nights back, I watched a firefly float by and flicker and disappear and reappear a few yards away. First one I've seen in years.

It was like opening a portal to spring and summers as a kid.

After a total absence of 25 or more years, we have been seeing a few dozen fireflies in our yard the past several evenings.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Academy is selling Mother's Day stuff with "Wifey" emblazoned on it.  Makes me chuckle and wonder how many other dudes my age see that when they walk in and think the same thing. 

Wifey's world much?

While on the back patio a few nights back, I watched a firefly float by and flicker and disappear and reappear a few yards away. First one I've seen in years.
It was like opening a portal to spring and summers as a kid.

After a total absence of 25 or more years, we have been seeing a few dozen fireflies in our yard the past several evenings.

We back up to a green belt with a wet weather creek. In a wet year (so maybe this one), it sometimes looks like stars in our backyard. We’ve had hundreds of them, flickering on and off. And I never get tired of it. It’s magical.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Happy Birthday Mrs. Brat!

IMG_5541.jpeg

• Haha 4

On 5/1/2024 at 5:24 PM, Superhero said:

Yeah. That part sucked. But today I’m in a glass is half full mood.

One other thing that pleased me was a friendly Uber driver that was actually interesting to talk to.

Had a solid grip, did he?

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the day at a camp with a bunch of dads I've met through a daddy-daughter group. Ate some GREAT food, drank some good beer and whisky, played cornhole, and sat by a fire chatting with friends I've made over the years.

It's a bittersweet moment because my daughter and her friends are in their teens and slowly losing interest, and this may be one of the few times remaining that I get to hang out with these dads, but I'll power on with the dad-son group with some of the same dads.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Watched a spider spin a web on my back deck for about 15 minutes tonight. It’s about a 5-foot web supported by laterals stretching 10-15 feet from the tree to the deck. She was laying the supporting legs and then tying them together with the circular laterals. So intricate and cool. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nnm said:

Watched a spider spin a web on my back deck for about 15 minutes tonight. It’s about a 5-foot web supported by laterals stretching 10-15 feet from the tree to the deck. She was laying the supporting legs and then tying them together with the circular laterals. So intricate and cool. 

While staying in a Shepherd’s Bush, London townhouse six years ago, I watched this spider spin its web every morning after waking up on the living room couch.

1181$$IMG_4275.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 11:42 PM, Superhero said:

Spent the day at a camp with a bunch of dads I've met through a daddy-daughter group. Ate some GREAT food, drank some good beer and whisky, played cornhole, and sat by a fire chatting with friends I've made over the years.

It's a bittersweet moment because my daughter and her friends are in their teens and slowly losing interest, and this may be one of the few times remaining that I get to hang out with these dads, but I'll power on with the dad-son group with some of the same dads.

Yep. I got a nine year old who has helped us make a lot of friends.  While I think these are lifelong friends and hope that my daughter has a group she can lean on for life, this also feels very fleeting.  

20 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yep. I got a nine year old who has helped us make a lot of friends.  While I think these are lifelong friends and hope that my daughter has a group she can lean on for life, this also feels very fleeting.  

It is fleeting.  But the time together is an investment, and the memories you've built are lifelong. 

Yes, before you know it you'll be launching your daughter off to college and someday into marriage or something else.  The experience of having adult daughters is awesome, but I still miss my little girls, and often get a lump in my throat when I see a dad walking hand-in-hand with his little girl. 

By spending the undivided attention time that you are with your daughters, you're storing up memories, and helping her to avoid some of the pitfalls that are so common in this ridiculous social media age in which we live.  Girls with "daddy issues" is a real phenomenon, and by doing Indian Princesses, or whatever it's called now, you're buying a little bit of insurance against that.

Edited by nnm
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, nnm said:

It is fleeting.  But the time together is an investment, and the memories you've built are lifelong. 

Yes, before you know it you'll be launching your daughter off to college and someday into marriage or something else.  The experience of having adult daughters is awesome, but I still miss my little girls, and get a lump in my throat often when I see a dad walking hand-in-hand with his little girl. 

By spending the undivided attention time that you are with your daughters, you're storing up memories, and helping her to avoid some of the pitfalls that are so common in this ridiculous social media age in which we live.  Girls with "daddy issues" is a real phenomenon, and by doing Indian Princesses, or whatever it's called now, you're buying a little bit of insurance against that.

She rules my world.  And she’s still affectionate but seems to be moving out of daddy’s little girl stage and I can feel it as it’s happening.  Her friends are close enough to be my nieces.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

She rules my world.  And she’s still affectionate but seems to be moving out of daddy’s little girl stage and I can feel it as it’s happening.  Her friends are close enough to be my nieces.  

My daughter just turned 12, so I’m a few years ahead of you in terms of daughter wanting to spend more time with her friends than me.

But even though I got really mad at her in the morning because she wasn’t getting ready, during the evening rally (where all the “tribes” get together), she leaned her head on my shoulder.

I loved it… and hated myself for being so hard on her in the morning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Superhero said:

My daughter just turned 12, so I’m a few years ahead of you in terms of daughter wanting to spend more time with her friends than me.

But even though I got really mad at her in the morning because she wasn’t getting ready, during the evening rally (where all the “tribes” get together), she leaned her head on my shoulder.

I loved it… and hated myself for being so hard on her in the morning.

Indian Princess camp out is the best weekend of the year.  We do it the first Sat of December every year at a large youth ranch right in the middle of the state of Florida. Its is a combined campout with about a dozen tribes.  The different tribes have stink bomb and water balloon fights all night and some tribe always brings a bucket of crickets to turn loose in peoples' tents. Most of the tribes are from the same small town and most all know each other.

I dread the work leading up to it and the sleeping in a tent for 2 nights kind of sucks, but when we are back at home on Sunday late morning I am on top of the world.  The dad group rocks and we cook/smoke a ton of food all weekend.

A couple of years ago on our walk back to camp after the giant bonfire and my oldest ( maybe 12 at the ) asked " Dad, can we come when I am in college?"  all the dads laughed and told " Heck yeah, I will come as long as you girls want to"

My oldest is 16 now and I have approx 118 more weekends before she goes to college. I am trying my hardest to create as many lasting memories for us as i can.  Next up is a quick getaway this weekend to see the NCAA Women's Lacrosse National Championship game in NC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Armybrat said:

While staying in a Shepherd’s Bush, London townhouse six years ago, I watched this spider spin its web every morning after waking up on the living room couch.

1181$$IMG_4275.jpeg

That's awesome... I don't let our dog sleep on the living room couch, let alone a spider. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWBuck said:

That's awesome... I don't let our dog sleep on the living room couch, let alone a spider. 

The rest of the story: 

This was a long-planned trip to England for two weeks then two more in France.

We were staying with friends (local folks) in a three story townhouse, and our bedroom & bath were on the third floor. 
On the first full day in London we all Ubered down to see St. Paul’s Cathedral, the #1 destination for that day. 
After touring the main floor and the “Whispering Gallery” high up in the rotunda, we descended down to the crypt to see the tombs of more famous Brits. 
While walking through different areas, Mrs. Brat spotted Admiral Nelson’s tomb and started walking rapidly towards it with us following.  
She totally missing seeing the short 3-step staircase and pitched forward & downward, faceplanting hard onto  the stone floor breaking her nose, shattering her wrist, and bruising both shins so badly she couldn’t walk for two weeks. 
When I saw her face hit the stone floor and a big spray of blood, I thought she had killed herself.
Getting her out of the crypt in a wheelchair and to a hospital is another story in itself.

Suffice to say our month long tour was cancelled and our rescheduled flight back home for her surgery left us with four more days for her to recover a little bit (she was on hydrocodone from the ER). 
Of course her inability to walk meant that she & I would have to sleep on the two living room couches on the first floor. Thank God there was a powder room on the first. 
Whenever it got light outside in the morning, for entertainment when I woke up I’d watch that spider weave its web on the outside of the streetside picture window until Mrs. Brat woke up for me to wheel her into the restroom. 
Itwas quite an ordeal for a 73 year old woman. 
(pics below of her in the ambulance & ER)

1007$$IMG_3952.jpeg

1009$$IMG_3955.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I played Scrabble with my wife and kids yesterday. We've never played as a family because my son is in 3rd grade and we thought he'd be at a disadvantage. Little shit came in with ZAP (10+1+3), and with a triple word multiplier, got 42 points.

I helped him a bit later on, and may or may not have traded a few tiles with him. But he came in at a solid 172 points, beating out mom and older sister.

• Hook 'Em 3

We have a red tail hawk nest in our backyard. I’m watching mama and daddy hawk raise their two youngsters. Can’t wait until they start learning to fly. They still have downy white heads, but these suckers are growing fast. 

Mom and dad feeding one of the babies a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_2680.thumb.jpeg.98235a74af3e162c95f13dbc40372792.jpeg

Mama and one of the babies a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_2679.thumb.jpeg.333983e9abc612b3b80c223841bb6ced.jpeg

Both babies recently:

IMG_2678.thumb.jpeg.71ce9a5da762cde081201b843722fda7.jpeg

IMG_2677.thumb.jpeg.8e3d07dc3a244f32ceb6add7b4f2ad08.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I was not aware of this beautiful landscape feature on 21st  across from Littlefield Fountain.

Few people remember that a city electric utility worker, Roy Schmidt, was shot to death August 1st, 1966 by Charles Whitman just a few steps away from this spot. 
I was crouching behind a car about a half block to the left.

IMG_3117.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I was not aware of this beautiful landscape feature on 21st  across from Littlefield Fountain.

Few people remember that a city electric utility worker, Roy Schmidt, was shot to death August 1st, 1966 by Charles Whitman just a few steps away from this spot. 
I was crouching behind a car about a half block to the left.

IMG_3117.jpeg

Wow. Didn’t know that you were there, AB. 
giphy.gif