Trivial things that please the ever living shit out of you

Tailleur17

20 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I was putting together some furniture and getting pissed at how my Bosch drill/driver bit set isn’t magnetised like my BIL’s Milwaukee set is…

…then I realized I bought this little Wera magnetizer to rub the tip on and bam, like magic, it turned magnetic. 

Very chuffed. 

WO5073403001_01_wera

Just the tip?  #obligatory

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Local stores wanted 150 dollaroos for fucking Weber branded grill cover…got the Charbroil one instead for $70

Or you can just get one of these from Amazon. Fit is a little loose, but the material is more waterproof and still looks great after 9 months and a very rainy winter. 

MissGrill 7130 Grill Cover  https://a.co/d/goDs1lu

Bought a new TV and realized the HDMI and coax ports are on the opposite side of the TV, compared to my old one, and the cables I currently use aren't long enough. I checked Walmart's website and they claimed they had everything I need in stock but their site is usually full of shit. Not this time! They had everything I needed. I had my stuff and was out of there in 10 mins.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

For the last 2-3 days, my internet has been dropping for a few minutes at a time. I called Spectrum and they saw some shit on their end that meant they had to send a tech. I called at 2:30 this afternoon. Tech visited, fiddled with some shit outside, swapped out my modem and coax cable and was out my door by 4:30 this afternoon. 

This is the 3rd service call I have needed with Spectrum (lightening strike one time, some utility truck fucked up their infrastructure outside another time) and  each time they have had a tech out within 24 hours and they fixed the issue promptly

I fucking dreaded getting Spectrum when I moved in this house, but it was wired for Spectrum and Grande (who I had previously) was fucking around scheduling an install. Since then, Spectrum has boosted my signal to 500MB plan (from original 250MB) with no increase in my plan cost, and per the techs diagnostics, I'm currently getting 650MB downstream. My monthly bill with Spectrum is still on the same introductory rate of $29.99 month that it was when I signed up 2.5 years ago.

It feels really odd saying it, but I am actually pleased with my ISP service. Based on my experience, I would actually recommend Spectrum, which I believe puts me in the rare 5% of Spectrum customers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 5/3/2023 at 11:18 AM, 52-80 said:

I was putting together some furniture and getting pissed at how my Bosch drill/driver bit set isn’t magnetised like my BIL’s Milwaukee set is…

…then I realized I bought this little Wera magnetizer to rub the tip on and bam, like magic, it turned magnetic. 

Very chuffed. 

WO5073403001_01_wera

Magnets, how do they work?

For the longest time after graduation my toolkit consisted of a basic craftsman set and random hardware collected over time. Any utility work had to be more or less mcguyvered together. 

Not too long ago I started stocking up serious dedicated stuff like clamps and power saws and air compressors and such. 

Got to deploy them this weekend when doing household work.  Its so good to have the right tools for the job.  Feels just like this:

so_good.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The smell of these 2 items takes me back immediately to MCRD San Diego, summer of '89( no six-string.)  They were standard issue for your 3 month stay...

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8v0zp7lXIhOJQ6srlI0d6a4224-4303-4157-b218-65a848144782_1.3

13 hours ago, slorch said:

The smell of these 2 items takes me back immediately to MCRD San Diego, summer of '89( no six-string.)  They were standard issue for your 3 month stay...

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8v0zp7lXIhOJQ6srlI0d6a4224-4303-4157-b218-65a848144782_1.3

A couple of years ago I was cleaning out a closet and ran across my shoe/boot bag from boot camp.  Still had the same tin of Kiwi black polish that I was issued at MCRD San Diego in June, 1979.  It has melted and resolidified to the point that it was useless, so I threw it out, but I can't believe that I hauled that around for 40+ years.  It still smelled the same, though. 

Sometimes I'll smell sandy dust and it takes me right back to doing push-ups, sit-ups, and bends and motherfuckers in The Pit.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

A couple of years ago I was cleaning out a closet and ran across my shoe/boot bag from boot camp.  Still had the same tin of Kiwi black polish that I was issued at MCRD San Diego in June, 1979.  It has melted and resolidified to the point that it was useless, so I threw it out, but I can't believe that I hauled that around for 40+ years.  It still smelled the same, though. 

Sometimes I'll smell sandy dust and it takes me right back to doing push-ups, sit-ups, and bends and motherfuckers in The Pit.

Set your stove burner on low and warm it back up. Works fairly well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/3/2023 at 12:18 PM, 52-80 said:

Very chuffed. 

WO5073403001_01_wera

Wera makes the best screwdrivers and socket sets on Earth. They’re pricey (especially the latter) but take care of them and they’re the last you’ll ever buy…

17 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Wera makes the best screwdrivers and socket sets on Earth. They’re pricey (especially the latter) but take care of them and they’re the last you’ll ever buy…

No they’re not. The 1/2” socket will disappear within a week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

I bought a sleeping bag (REI Siesta) last month and had to get the long version because the regular length was sold out.

Now I’m glad because it was chilly on the last two trips (mid 50s) and nothing better than to burrow deep into the bag to stay warm.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tossing a perfectly arcing tight spiralling football on a goddamn rope. 

Which makes me curious, whats the most satisfying sports thing you can do: thwacking a golf shot? swishing a basketball? cracking a baseball swing? hockey slapshot? 

football and golf for me (and i dont even play the latter)

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Which makes me curious, whats the most satisfying sports thing you can do: thwacking a golf shot? swishing a basketball? cracking a baseball swing? hockey slapshot? 

Not hurt myself or get injured. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

from 12-15 feet on the baseline on either side of the basket I can hit a turnaround fading into the baseline just over the corner of the backboard nothing but net a very high percentage of time even at my advanced age. It's very satisfying.

14 hours ago, Superhero said:

I bought a sleeping bag (REI Siesta) last month and had to get the long version because the regular length was sold out.

Now I’m glad because it was chilly on the last two trips (mid 50s) and nothing better than to burrow deep into the bag to stay warm.

Yup- extra room to put a water bottle filled with hot water to keep your feet warm... and a separate bottle to piss in so you don't have to get out of your bag in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Going white water rafting with my daughter, turning around to see the biggest grin on her face as we hit a big wave. 

Man- that hit me in the feels.... my daughter has been dealing with depression for the past few years, and the laughter and joy I saw as she helped paddle through a class IV rapid just cannot be described.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Man- that hit me in the feels.... my daughter has been dealing with depression for the past few years, and the laughter and joy I saw as she helped paddle through a class IV rapid just cannot be described.

Nothing worse than a depressed kid. It eats at you every minute of every day. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 4:59 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

As a kid, every Saturday I had to break out the Kiwi, the brush, and the rag, and get those shoes ready for Sunday school.

• Like 2

I remember as a kid going cherry picking at a farm where they gave you a gallon-bucket and you fill it up as much as you want for $5. And i thought…wow what a steal. 

Anyway, my sister in law has a cherry tree in their yard which matured in last few weeks and holy fuck is it bountiful. They dont even care to pick it because theres just so many goddamn cherries. No wonder the farm was almost giving it away. 

I don't know if it was because last year was unseasonably hot and horrible, but this year's watermelon season is amazing.

Last year, no matter which watermelon we bought-- from a variety of locations, storefronts, markets-- grown in Mexico and U.S-- and both male and female, all were just meh. Weak crop.

This year I've had 7 or 8, from a handful of places, and every single one slaps.

Rich, deep red, juicy and sweet.

Go get you a watermelon and cut that bad boy up if you haven't already!

Just now, HonkeyVape said:

I don't know if it was because last year was unseasonably hot and horrible, but this year's watermelon season is amazing.

Last year, no matter which watermelon we bought-- from a variety of locations, storefronts, markets-- grown in Mexico and U.S-- and both male and female, all were just meh. Weak crop.

This year I've had 7 or 8, from a handful of places, and every single one slaps.

Rich, deep red, juicy and sweet.

Go get you a watermelon and cut that bad boy up if you haven't already!

Also, obligatory: 

• Like 1

I had a perfect day with the kids yesterday.   

My wife was sick so it was just me and the kiddos. Started off with them making me toast with peanut butter and sliced bananas (Elvis special).

After church, we had Indian food (which my wife wouldn’t eat), watched Elemental at an AMC theater with reclined seating. They helped me wash my car. And finally they helped make dinner - perfectly medium rare strip steak and grilled zucchini.

It couldn’t have been a better day and I’m lucky to have these 2 awesome kids. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Having a real hardware store near and plum full of tools and what not.  Plenty of staff that knows the location of what you want.   

Turner Hardware on Hempstead Hwy.  

IMG_7871.jpeg

IMG_7870.jpeg

IMG_7869.jpeg

Buy all the 1/2, 9/16, and 10mm sockets and wrenches they have. You will need them sooner or later. 

Having a real hardware store near and plum full of tools and what not.  Plenty of staff that knows the location of what you want.   

Turner Hardware on Hempstead Hwy.  
IMG_7871.thumb.jpeg.63c432e781823ad9e49cc733059c16d9.jpeg
IMG_7870.thumb.jpeg.91b53a43f865eab778f75e59d8ce2c4c.jpeg
IMG_7869.thumb.jpeg.3d828d34dd4fd7ef3c3a055101612612.jpeg

I spent a shit ton of money in Turner’s and at Empire when I worked off 290 in that area. Love those stores.
  • Like 1