Balch Springs Officer convicted of Murder for 2017 shooting

Storm the Field

27 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

I am shocked.  I did not expect this result.  It's rare.  Good for them.  

Same. Now get ready for the onslaught of "Police can't do their job now for fear of being convicted" from their union. No way will they ever admit they're not an occupying force in a war zone. Stop fucking shooting innocent unarmed civilians and there won't be a problem.

• Like 2

Not so sure about this, tho (DMN quote of murdered kid's dad's atty):

"It's about Tamir Rice. It's about Walter Scott. It's about Alton Sterling," he said. "It's about every, every African-American, unarmed African-American, who has been killed and who has not gotten justice."

Why can't it be about Jordan Edwards-at least for a day or two?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Not so sure about this, tho (DMN quote of murdered kid's dad's atty):

"It's about Tamir Rice. It's about Walter Scott. It's about Alton Sterling," he said. "It's about every, every African-American, unarmed African-American, who has been killed and who has not gotten justice."

Why can't it be about Jordan Edwards-at least for a day or two?

Well, what it NEEDS to be about is the only thing that can put a pause in a police officer's thinking.  They face limited employment consequences for shooting someone dead.  They face next to no financial consequences for shooting someone dead.  Hearing a metal door clank behind you, never to be opened again till you're dead?  THAT will make you think twice.

Consequences.  We desperately need REAL consequences to be in the minds of people who have the power to take lives.  This is how you plant those thoughts in their brains.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

All he had to yell was "he's coming right for us!" and he would have been acquitted.  

If I remember the Shaggy thread correctly he tried to claim that in the police report, but the body cam footage showed a different story. 

I get that police have a tough job, but if you don’t have the temperament find another line of work.  Hopefully this will be the catalyst used to push out officers who shouldn’t be in LE.

26 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

All he had to yell was "he's coming right for us!" and he would have been acquitted.  

That's actually in his police report that was later proven to be a lie when he said the driver of the car had put the car in reverse and officer was afraid for his life when he saw the car coming towards him.  Fortunately, he grabbed his AR-15 from his squad car just in case, because underage teen drinking.

Good.  The problem with police is that they aren't ever held accountable when they fuck up/do horrid shit.  Most of them do a pretty good job, but when they completely step over the line (like when they executed that poor motherfucker in Arizona in that hotel hallway while playing Simon Sez with him) they're hardly ever held accountable.  That just encourages other officers to shoot first at the slightest provocation (or perceived provocation; or nothing at all).  Also, the populace sees those cops get away with murder and they trust the police less.  Which leads to more bad interactions with the police.  Which leads to more dead people that didn't need to die.

I almost got riddled full of holes over a missing front license plate on the highway outside Merkel fucking Texas of all places.  Cops asked me why I didn't have a license plate.  Told them someone backed into me and it fell off.  They said do you have it?  I, a perfectly respectable and polite and boring looking white dude, reach into the backseat to grab it and both of the numbnuts who were on each side of my vehicle went for their guns.  The lady cop (who I got told was new on the job) actually drew her fucking gun.  I can only imagine how it would have gone down if it had been the middle of the night instead of noon and if I'd been black instead of white.  Almost shot over a missing license plate.  /csb

I understand shit can pop off in an instant, but these cops need to learn how read a situation and have a plan before going to the gun.  And they need to do a better job weeding out the jumpy/crazy/racist motherfuckers who have no business wearing a badge.

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, what it NEEDS to be about is the only thing that can put a pause in a police officer's thinking.  They face limited employment consequences for shooting someone dead.  They face next to no financial consequences for shooting someone dead.  Hearing a metal door clank behind you, never to be opened again till you're dead?  THAT will make you think twice.

Consequences.  We desperately need REAL consequences to be in the minds of people who have the power to take lives.  This is how you plant those thoughts in their brains.

I think that what you WILL see happen, as the thought of REAL consequences enters the minds of LE collectively, is a tightening of the ranks. A snake lives by evolved responses, it don't think and it don't evolve backwards.

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Lord Brisket, I hope you're right.  The thing that concerns me (bolded) is that so many of the asshat LEO's these days don't seem to have the intelligence or conscience for it to make a bit of difference.  So many of them think they are above the law, it could never happen to them, doesn't apply to them that it doesn't register.

I guess though, if it causes just one to pause, or saves even one life, it would be a great starting place.

16 hours ago, RPM said:

Same. Now get ready for the onslaught of "Police can't do their job now for fear of being convicted" from their union. No way will they ever admit they're not an occupying force in a war zone. Stop fucking shooting innocent unarmed civilians and there won't be a problem.

Yes, but one of the interesting things about this case is that his fellow officer testified that they were not in imminent danger, contradicting the testimony of the murdering officer.

He got 15 years.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sentencing-underway-ex-texas-cop-convicted-murder-042228845.html

DALLAS (AP) — A white former police officer was sentenced to 15 years in prison Wednesday night after being convicted of murder a day earlier for killing an unarmed 15-year-old boy when he fired into a car packed with black teenagers leaving a house party in suburban Dallas.

Roy Oliver, who faced up to life in prison, was convicted Tuesday in the 2017 death of Jordan Edwards and the same jury handed down his punishment. He also was fined $10,000.

The verdict marked an extremely rare murder conviction for shootings involving on-duty police officers. His lawyers are expected to appeal.

Edited by SDG

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Go this KUT link, scroll down to the audio and start at 2:40.  People like this...holy shit.

http://www.kut.org/post/ex-balch-springs-officer-roy-oliver-found-guilty-fatal-shooting-jordan-edwards

He shouldn't have been convicted. A 15 year old kid out at 11 o'clock at night had to be up to no good! (plus he was pretty black)

4 hours ago, RPM said:

He shouldn't have been convicted. A 15 year old kid out at 11 o'clock at night had to be up to no good! (plus he was pretty black)

And most certainly should have been murdered.  Anyone out at that hour, murder them.  Especially if black.  Good god.  There are really people like this that are allowed to vote.

yeah, it will be interesting to see the appeal.  heard a quip from the murderer's lawyer already trying to use the (non) defense of how this will affect other cops 'just trying to do their job'.  It's complete bullshit.  This verdict is not about other cops.  It's about the one that murdered a kid.  Let other cops be judged on their actions good or bad.  What this is guy did was judged to be murder by 12 people.  If this verdict causes other officers to pause for thought before opening fire on a pickup full of unarmed teenagers driving away from them, then so be it.  I don't think pausing for that will put the officer in any more danger than they would be otherwise.

On 8/30/2018 at 8:50 AM, LongestHorn said:

They'll rape him for the first year or two, but I don't know how he makes it out alive.  

Won’t he be housed with the other ex law enforcement and child predators?   No way an ex cop is housed in general population.  

* my knowledge of prison comes from MSNBC, Oz and Shawshank.