Shit's Borked

RPM

How do i become a member to avoid the ads? I couldn't post for most of this afternoon and even now I have adds covering up posts with no way to remove them. I get this site needs to make money, not complaining. I just want to improve my experience here.

edit: I've been around since the shaggy days.. hell, since the hornfans days... but took a decade off after that shitstorm went down. Rejoined surly back in 2021 I guess. If any of that makes a difference.

Edited by ChickenNuggets

2 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

How do i become a member to avoid the ads? I couldn't post for most of this afternoon and even now I have adds covering up posts with no way to remove them. I get this site needs to make money, not complaining. I just want to improve my experience here.

edit: I've been around since the shaggy days.. hell, since the hornfans days... but took a decade off after that shitstorm went down. Rejoined surly back in 2021 I guess. If any of that makes a difference.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/subscriptions/

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Ads everywhere. And I’ve been looking at them like an old school Sears catalog. But it’s everywhere. Fix this shit Rich!

Deleted accounts don’t inherit. 

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Seeing video ads where it appears there should be links or imbedded content. When the ad is over, it disappears and leaves an empty post. 

but later someone might quote it, so I know it isn’t really empty, just borked. 

I don’t know how you are seeing ads. What theme are you using? 

I logged in as you and see no ads. 

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

I went to page 893 of the Ukraine thread and scrolled down when the stuff loaded- here’s 2 examples.

when the ad finishes, I’m left with an empty post  

theme is surly main dark.  On phone  .

26CE68CC-C27D-4AA7-9875-93294BAB93D7.png

79538FBD-59A2-4823-8841-AF4DDA6AB1E8.png

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I went to page 893 of the Ukraine thread and scrolled down when the stuff loaded- here’s 2 examples.

when the ad finishes, I’m left with an empty post  

theme is surly main dark.  On phone  .

26CE68CC-C27D-4AA7-9875-93294BAB93D7.png

79538FBD-59A2-4823-8841-AF4DDA6AB1E8.png

I’ll look into it, but you should probably use light theme until I can get to a computer and fix it after the game. 

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Seeing video ads where it appears there should be links or imbedded content. When the ad is over, it disappears and leaves an empty post. 

but later someone might quote it, so I know it isn’t really empty, just borked. 

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

I saw exactly what Pato saw last night, but in the light theme. Same thread, too.

Seeing more of it today in that thread... blank posts that look like they should have embedded content, but sometimes show ads instead.

This is on chrome mobile (Android)

Edited by Rimbo

54 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I saw exactly what Pato saw last night, but in the light theme. Same thread, too.

Seeing more of it today in that thread... blank posts that look like they should have embedded content, but sometimes show ads instead.

I also logged in as you chrome android and saw nothing. 

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I’m having the same issue on an iPhone and Adblock seems to have no effect.  

This site has become completely unusable on my PC.  The ads are so intrusive I’m not even able to post from the computer.  I can eventually make my way through the ads on my phone to post.  I go to many websites and this one has by far the most challenging user experience.  

On 10/8/2022 at 3:20 PM, axiom of foundation said:

This site has become completely unusable on my PC.  The ads are so intrusive I’m not even able to post from the computer.  I can eventually make my way through the ads on my phone to post.  I go to many websites and this one has by far the most challenging user experience.  

this is going to be fixed later today - right now logged out and logged in users were seeing the same ads that will change today. 

1 hour ago, SurlyBDR said:

I cant give certain rep on posts that have something embedded. For example, I can give the bottom 3 choices, but anything that's overlaying the youtube video, it just clicks on the video to start it. Same with tweets that are embedded.

Screenshot-20221010-122843.jpg

iPhone? WebKit is a garbage browser.