Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Have been curious about if Elliott would be open to a jump to the NFL. Maybe not as HC, but OC. Houston will have a position, with a QB he coached when he was co-HC. Then, whoever drafts Lawrence will probably have their positions open.

Wonder what his big plans are for his career...

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

It says a lot. He said Sunday he has a 25% chance of staying. He’s now saying after learning more, it’s much less than that. I wasn’t convinced Herman was done. I am now - if Nahlin is the type to not make shit up. Is he Chip or Ketch, or actually good?

He’s definitely not chip or ketch.  He has integrity.  

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Don’t get overly excited about Herman potentially being gone. Whoever is hired still has to deal with massive cheating by other programs like A&M, and the Big 12 vs SEC, that makes it more difficult to recruit.

If you're not playing the game then you shouldn't be at a big time program in college football. Saying others cheat is just an excuse loser programs use.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Don’t get overly excited about Herman potentially being gone. Whoever is hired still has to deal with massive cheating by other programs like A&M, and the Big 12 vs SEC, that makes it more difficult to recruit.

If Urban Meyer can't overcome that with massive amounts of winning. Then noone can. Tom finished third by going 10-4. Urbs will make Jimbo suck start a pistol. 

A lot of top recruits want to stay in state but play for a championship caliber program. They currently don't have that choice. Give them that choice, and recruiting will take care of itself.

Mack locked down the state for a long time because everyone knew Texas was dominant and many of the best in state kids wanted to be here. It slipped away somewhat with aggy inviting cheating into our back yard, but also because there was powerful negative recruiting about the state of our program.

Until we get our shit fixed, it will stay that way.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, EastTexan said:

Who gives a fuck. Herman's' got to be gone, even if we win out.

I fully agree.  He should have been given his walking papers yesterday - but it will take more than that because COVID is giving everyone some cover.  I cannot see him surviving a .500 season.  I'm hopeful he is just a lame duck at this point and will be gone at the end of the year even if he wins out (which I cannot see happening). 

Just now, Texas7 said:

Tony Elliot is a safe hire money wise. You could get him for 3.5 mil a year and let him prove himself.. that’s not what we are after I believe. I think everyone is in agreement we need a big splash like Urban with a proven record.

I don't want another coach 'learning on the job'.  Herman had 26 games as a head coach on his resume - If possible I'd like to aim a little higher than that.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't want another coach 'learning on the job'.  Herman had 26 games as a head coach on his resume - If possible I'd like to aim a little higher than that.

Oh I agree with you. Someone said Elliot in a earlier post though.. it has to be big time. Maybe Urban hire Elliot, and then when he gets his headaches he leaves the program to Elliot.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, UrbanTheMeyer said:

I think you're nuts if you want Ash to be our interim HC. To put it nicely, his Rutgers team sucked. I'd trust Yurcich slightly more simply because he doesnt have a terrible HC record already.

Is there some reason Urban couldn't start next week?

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I keep seeing that we should be 1-3.  No.  We should be 3-1.  We pissed away two easily winnable games.  

Should be 4-0. Tech, TCU and OU are all in down years while our roster is peaking. We should have won every game on our schedule so far by 2+ scores. The B12 hasn't been this bad/winnable since what, '05? We are seeing the culmination of 4 years of Tom's "culture" 

tenor.gif?itemid=9420845

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Probably because he hasn't spent one second around this team. 

"Hey Urban, I know you haven't spent one second around these guys, but do you think you could take 53 4-star athletes and maybe beat Kansas and West Vrigina? I know thats asking a lot, since you've only won 3 national titles between two different schools in the last 15 years"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This. Herman basically set Meyer up without knowing it. 
Maybe one of the reasons I'm hopeful on Urban is it feels like he's been dropping little hints that suggest he'd have interest here. Even just in the past few weeks he is on record saying he thinks Chris Ash was the best coaching upgrade made this off-season and that Texas has recruited well and has a strong roster but coaches are failing at development. Both of those comments seem to hint that he sees a ton of opportunity at Texas that is not being managed well.

Then again, I'm probably just reading into this what I want to hear.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Maybe one of the reasons I'm hopeful on Urban is it feels like he's been dropping little hints that suggest he'd have interest here. Even just in the past few weeks he is on record saying he thinks Chris Ash was the best coaching upgrade made this off-season and that Texas has recruited well and has a strong roster but coaches are failing at development. Both of those comments seem to hint that he sees a ton of opportunity at Texas that is not being managed well.

Plus he so clearly hates Tom and would love to stroll in and win with Tom's coaches and recruits. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

"Hey Urban, I know you haven't spent one second around these guys, but do you think you could take 53 4-star athletes and maybe beat Kansas and West Vrigina? I know thats asking a lot, since you've only won 3 national titles between two different schools in the last 15 years"

It has nothing to do with how good of a coach Urban Meyer is, or Meyer at all really, and everything to do with a group of 100 young players who don't know the guy you're putting in charge of them mid-season. It'd be a helluv-an emotional time for these kids. 

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

you know he is watching our fox games and his coaching mind already spinning what he would fix

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Here is how it should go. You fire Herman and hire urban within a couple of weeks. Tag an interim head coach to finish out the year. 

let urban start his recruiting so we can salvage the 2021 class. After season is completed Urban notifies which coaches will be dismissed and if any will be retained. 

Urban brings in his guys January or whenever and starts fresh in the spring. 
Can someone screenshot and send to cdc, just so he knows the plan?
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

until I see anything otherwise, I'm going to chalk it up to a)sticking it to Herman who he clearly hates and b)fucking with Texas recruiting which helps Ohio State.

neither of these means he's at all interested in coaching at the college level again.  but one can hope we are pulling out all the stops if he has the slightest bit of interest.  him "turning down" Texas publicly would not be good.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Good. Let them think about why they're here.

No. That's some old school shit that used to work. There's a transfer-portal now that gives these kids a far better option than they've ever had. Keep 'em as happy as you can. Let 'em rally around one of the coaches they already know. The boat's gunna rock, but make it rock as little as possible. 

Or maybe I'm missing something. I'd be willing to say I'm wrong on this. No problem with that at all.

Edited by UncleBuck

6 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Here is how it should go. You fire Herman and hire urban within a couple of weeks. Tag an interim head coach to finish out the year. 

let urban start his recruiting so we can salvage the 2021 class. After season is completed Urban notifies which coaches will be dismissed and if any will be retained. 

Urban brings in his guys January or whenever and starts fresh in the spring. 

Would you go with Ash for interim HC?  If not, who?

28 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It says a lot. He said Sunday he has a 25% chance of staying. He’s now saying after learning more, it’s much less than that. I wasn’t convinced Herman was done. I am now - if Nahlin is the type to not make shit up. Is he Chip or Ketch, or actually good?

27 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He’s definitely not chip or ketch.  He has integrity.  

Nahlin has flagrantly made shit up in his career. I witnessed it first hand on multiple occasions. He viewed it as a means to an end with the "everybody does it" justification. That considered, that was a decade ago. Has the guy matured, gotten better contacts and resources, and developed a sense of integrity when it comes to reporting? I hope so. People can change. 

In an ironic twist, you can now damned sure trust info on stuff like this coming from IT based on changes made this summer. So, sure, take some heart that Nahlin is comparing notes and going with info from multiple confirmed sources. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, Horn Dogg said:

Would you go with Ash for interim HC?  If not, who?

It doesn’t really matter does it? I mean the year is a shit show anyway, as long as we set ourself up for success in the future and stop the bleeding NOW. This year is almost a moot point

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

Is there some reason Urban couldn't start next week?

That would be a lose lose scenario. Culture isn’t created in a week or month. It takes time. You hire him and we struggle To finish the season then we lose all momentum that a hire like Urban would bring.  No way urban would put himself in a vulnerable position like that. As others have said , the best scenario would be interim with a coordinator. Let urban advise from on high and everyone is on working interview. No other way to do it than that.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas