Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

4) Yurcich takes over HC this year. (I mean even if he went 2-4 would it be any different than now?  Who cares?

this needs to be better understood

this season is a lost cause, even if we win out. we lose nothing by jettisoning Herman, getting to work immediately on the hiring process, and signaling to recruits and their coaches and their uncles that we are making fundamental changes

the worst-case scenario would be, whatever the worst performance that would guarantee Herman's return in 2021. if four more wins is enough to bring him back, that's the worst thing that could happen, worse than losing out (which would presumably get him fired). If winning out is the only thing that would bring him back, then I hope we lose immediately so we can make the change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

What does everyone think of Ian Boyd?  Is he a good $9.95er or full of shit?  He's over at Inside Texas and they're one of the better/most consistent reporting services right?  He replied "Yes." to the tween above.

CDC went after the best available coaches in his last two hires.  No reason he wouldn't do the same here.  This isn't Steve "just cuz we have money doesn't mean we need to spend it" Patterson.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Burton post a few minutes ago:

Chip Brown’s article today makes the problem all the more clear.

Tom Herman is the problem. Period.

Based on the words of other Texas coaches, Herman has been willfully insubordinate.

Trying to pin or deflect this dysfunction onto Texas AD Chris Del Conte, President Jay Hartzell, the Texas board of regents or, most importantly, the football players at the University of Texas is nothing more than classic scapegoating because of Herman’s lack of leadership.

Make no mistake, the real losers here are the players, fans and alumni dragged needlessly into this drama primarily because of one man’s shortcomings.

As I have said before, I believe Herman’s lack of leadership is a combination of his own personal hubris - overestimating his own capacity as a coach and thereby his team’s - and part inability to lead in consistently positive fashion.

Substantively, Chip’s piece relied on those willing to speak openly, to go on the record. As we all know, to put their name behind their comments is something too rare in today’s media environment (of which I am clearly party to).

That’s why this version of events is laid bare and is so clear. Herman either neglected to have the conversations that needed to be had with his team, he didn’t see the importance of them or both.

The clarity of it all makes me wonder what the value might be of others to say that such a problem rests with any party other than Herman himself.

Is it a bizarre scheme to preserve as much of Herman’s buyout as possible? Is it an attempt to sow enough discord within the athletic department and university to somehow stymie the possible attempt to lure Urban Meyer?

I can’t answer that.

All I know is that Chip’s reporting matches 100-percent with my own and my sources include members at the highest echelon of the Texas administration and its governing body.

It serves as just more proof for what I have already said. Tom Herman should be fired.

Look, I hate Tom Herman as much as everyone else right now. But this administration demanding that players stay on the field for a song they’ve very clearly said is offensive to them is wrong. Flat wrong. It’s tone deaf, it lacks understanding. It’s stupid. I’ve shouted from the tree tops for weeks and months now that the school was taking the wrong stance. It just needs to recognize a new song is required and get on with it. The world has changed in the last six months. I honestly don’t blame Herman on this one. He’s sticking with his players and it’s the right stance.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

7 years ago

“We don’t care how big a buyout he wants!  Just give it to him!  He’s going to fix the mess Mack created and Texas will be back!”  

4 years ago:

”Fuck.  Strong’s buyout is kind of an issue.  Gonna cost so much to get rid of him.  Makes options tricky.”

3 years, 10 months ago:

“We don’t care how big a buyout he wants!  Just give it to him!  He’s going to fix the mess Charlie created and Texas will be back!”  

Today:

”Fuck.  Herman’s buyout is kind of an issue.  Gonna cost so much to get rid of him.  Makes options tricky.”

Which is exactly why Urban is the only answer right now. The probability of this repeating itself is much greater with literally any other realistic candidate. Nothing is guaranteed, but "Urban Meyer fielding competent football teams that are well-coached and compete for conference titles" is pretty close to a guarantee. 

Programs almost never have the opportunity to hire a HOF coach who isn't past his prime. Texas has that opportunity now. It won't be there for long. Depending on who you believe, we may have had one shot at Saban and we fucked it up. I hope we don't fuck this one up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

What does everyone think of Ian Boyd?  Is he a good $9.95er or full of shit?  He's over at Inside Texas and they're one of the better/most consistent reporting services right?  He replied "Yes." to the tween above.

If you are paying attention to Ian Boyd for anything other than X & O's you are doing it wrong.

Even then, folks really don't like the guy.

22 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Not sure, but Haywood needs to reread his bible.  We've done a pretty good job of being Goliath and getting one shotted in the head by Daniel's before they chope our heads off.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not that I think this is different at any other big time programs - but there isn't a lot of affinity from the other sport's coaches towards Tom.  I get that football is treated differently - but damn, they threw Tom right under the bus.

I’m just thinking out loud here but it might have something to with the fact that Tom Herman is a gigantic asshole. That might be why no one likes him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/EJA562-1602679102-5-6-33

And you would find this flight from Austin to Columbus scheduled for early tomorrow morning. 

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/EJA562  Urban must've have had a big breakfast, flight departed late.

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Ketch has got his hands full right now - someone on twitter linked a bunch of screenshots of shit OB people were talking about players and @'d them to players, coaches, admin.  Ketch claims they've 'cleaned that up' but not a good look for his shitty site.

That's something I have always wondered about.  Players can read and keyboard warriors can easily add water to an already sinking ship.  

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I’m just thinking out loud here but it might have something to with the fact that Tom Herman is a gigantic asshole. That might be why no one likes him. 

That and while being a giant A hole getting carte blanche on every facility request you have made while others keep waiting.....yeah not surprising.

3 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Asking the players to stay on the field and basically respect the fans that came and supported you while not requiring you to sing the song or even Hookem is hardly being tone deaf.  Every other sport that is currently playing can do it without a problem.  CDC is framing it exactly right. If you don't want to sing the song fine, but you can stick around and show appreciation to the fans who came to support you.  Staying for the eyes has never been about singing the actual song.

As for the parent in the earlier report claiming players didn't know the eyes were going to be played....Please, Sam was magically the only player that stuck around for the song because everyone else thought we just weren't going to play it.......yeah ok....

I'm out of rep @TexasRenegade, but I agree all the way man. If all that bullshit isn't a giant neon sign for CDC to see that Herman has completely derailed then we are fucked. 

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

uspw_6157552.jpg

I mean, we know he did it, we know he got canned.  But we don't know many specifics, like whether he got any money at all.  I saw something that said Long went to him with a list of potential breaches of their contract and said something to the effect of, "help me figure out how not to fire you."  But that's second-hand at best.

One of the more interesting questions would be:  if something Herman did on the QT was uncovered by the administration/AD, but it was not at all public, would that be a breach of the "morals clause" of the contract.  A lot would depend on how it was worded.

You might assume that these contracts have been gone over with a fine-toothed comb, and maybe they have.  Some of the ones I have seen seem to leave issues open or ambiguous.  Wickline's seemed fairly loosey-goosey, but he wasn't a head coach. Maybe that's on purpose or the product of negotiation.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Asking the players to stay on the field and basically respect the fans that came and supported you while not requiring you to sing the song or even Hookem is hardly being tone deaf.  Every other sport that is currently playing can do it without a problem.  CDC is framing it exactly right. If you don't want to sing the song fine, but you can stick around and show appreciation to the fans who came to support you.  Staying for the eyes has never been about singing the actual song.

As for the parent in the earlier report claiming players didn't know the eyes were going to be played....Please, Sam was magically the only player that stuck around for the song because everyone else thought we just weren't going to play it.......yeah ok....

Yes it is, and you’ve just demonstrated you are too. Have you not been watching the tv the last six months? The marches? The world is sick of insufficient responses to discrimination. Hell we still have buildings and statues that celebrate confederate leaders around the country. People are taking a stand and saying enough is enough and the eyes of Texas is in the cross hairs. You can continue to ignore it and hope it all goes away, but this time it is not. This time is different. Players have realized now is the time to effect real social change.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

Not sure, but Haywood needs to reread his bible.  We've done a pretty good job of being Goliath and getting one shotted in the head by Daniel's before they chope our heads off.

Texas as Goliath can't beat TCU because they have God on their side.

Can't beat OU because they sold their soul to the devil for a lifelong all you can eat dicks buffet.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

The world is sick of insufficient responses to discrimination.

one, I know it's comforting to think everyone thinks the way you do, but "the world" is very much not in agreement what the problem is, what the best solution is, or what the appropriate response in the moment is

two, you can broad-brush motte-and-bailey it all you want, the issue is not that some people are just hunky-dory with or in favor of "discrimination"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Yes it is, and you’ve just demonstrated you are too. Have you not been watching the tv the last six months? The marches? The world is sick of insufficient responses to discrimination. Hell we still have buildings and statues that celebrate confederate leaders around the country. People are taking a stand and saying enough is enough and the eyes of Texas is in the cross hairs. You can continue to ignore it and hope it all goes away, but this time it is not. This time is different. Players have realized now is the time to effect real social change.

I don't have a problem with wanting to rename buildings named after confederate leaders etc...  But there's more they can do than just the eyes of Texas. Really, they should leave the team period if you think about it. They're wearing a uniform, team colors, that were adapted for a white only team that wouldn't allow black players to play. Then they go play inside of a stadium where, at the very least, there used to be segregated seating. 

This country's short history has traces of racism in every corner, sadly. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

IMO, the eyes thing is a distraction and probably favors Herman.

Herman can "fix" the situation with the eyes and try to use to being back goodwill with bmds and fans.

The focus should be on how much Herman's team full of highly rated upper class recruits sucks shit through a straw.

Any discussion around Herman's future that doesn't start and end there is misguided, unless the eyes issue can be used to lower his buyout.

If we were winning this would be a small issue to work out. Herman needs to go because we're not winning, period.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Cancelling the post game singing of a sports song isn't effecting real social change.  Jesus Christ

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

one, I know it's comforting to think everyone thinks the way you do, but "the world" is very much not in agreement what the problem is, what the best solution is, or what the appropriate response in the moment is

two, you can broad-brush motte-and-bailey it all you want, the issue is not that some people are just hunky-dory with or in favor of "discrimination"

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I don't have a problem with wanting to rename buildings named after confederate leaders etc...  But there's more they can do than just the eyes of Texas. Really, they should leave the team period if you think about it. They're wearing a uniform, team colors, that were adapted for a white only team that wouldn't allow black players to play. Then they go play inside of a stadium where, at the very least, there used to be segregated seating. 

This country's short history has traces of racism in every corner, sadly. 

Take this conversation to the thread dedicated to it.  Don't fuck up our good ole fashioned coach firing with a separate discussion.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Lol dude it's October. No one is marching anymore.  The rest of the country has moved past the summer temper tantrum(except for possibly portland...I stopped following those idiots).  How old are you?  Possibly older then me, but it's not a new world.  If it was there would be a half dozen football teams in the SEC that would be having a fit about stuff related to their schools that are way way more offensive than the EOT have ever come close to being.  The whole eyes thing is more about where the football team is at then anything else.  If the team was what the other programs actually are and coached like they are...guess what the players would be fine and dandy.  It's a lot easier to be a malcontent about things that don't truly matter when you are a struggling and under performing football team with an A-hole for a coach that you can't stand.  If it is whole new world (insert Alladin GIf) why isn't it a whole new world for soccer, volleyball, swimming, or any of the other teams that are referenced in the article?  Why, because those players understand what it is CDC is asking of them and it has nothing to do with singing a freaking song for the athletes.

Again, CDC is asking them to stay and thank the fans for coming. Not participate in the song.

• Hook 'Em 1

They should be free to choose to do whichever they want regardless of why they’re doing it. It’s that simple. Forcing them because some fans and boosters got their pussies hurt is asinine. Again, Tom not conveying expectations was stupid as they are what his boss mandated, but those expectations were misguided.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Was my original thought. But it seems the discussion around it at least points to Tom ignoring the administration's demands of the coaches making their teams "stay for Eyes." Maybe it's part the way out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

They should be free to choose to do whichever they want regardless of why they’re doing it. It’s that simple. Forcing them because some fans and boosters got their pussies hurt is asinine. 

You must not have much experience raising millions in charitable contributions

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Look, I hate Tom Herman as much as everyone else right now. But this administration demanding that players stay on the field for a song they’ve very clearly said is offensive to them is wrong. Flat wrong. It’s tone deaf, it lacks understanding. It’s stupid. I’ve shouted from the tree tops for weeks and months now that the school was taking the wrong stance. It just needs to recognize a new song is required and get on with it. The world has changed in the last six months. I honestly don’t blame Herman on this one. He’s sticking with his players and it’s the right stance.

I agree, but the reason CDC is putting this out is because the boosters are shitting on CDC about The Eyes. Athletics needs money abd big donors are pulling or threatening to pull their donations.

20 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Staying for the eyes has never been about singing the actual song.

This.  They never really sang the song before.  They stood in support with their horns up in solidarity with the fans.  I've been within feet of many of them after games.  Most of the guys are so tired and spent.  Solemn after losses.  Euphoric and excited after wins.  Either way, never singing that I have ever witnessed.  

Just now, pearlandhorn said:

Fuck them...but can you really blame them?

Just because on a certain level I agree with Blake's opinion of our illustrious head coach doesn't mean as a fan I agree with what he did regarding my school so FTB.  Maybe Blake can be on that plane with Tom, Chip, and whoever else was on it earlier in this thread.

5 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Herman can "fix" the situation with the eyes and try to use to being back goodwill with bmds and fans.

The focus should be on how much Herman's team full of highly rated upper class recruits sucks shit through a straw.

Any discussion around Herman's future that doesn't start and end there is misguided, unless the eyes issue can be used to lower his buyout.

If we were winning this would be a small issue to work out. Herman needs to go because we're not winning, period.

Until you read Chips article and see that he has 3 coaches on record who were willing to put their name out there that they had specific instructions prior but Tom was either insubordinate or failed as a leader due to not having his team disciplined enough to do what was asked of him and his team. 

Was my original thought. But it seems the discussion around it at least points to Tom ignoring the administration's demands of the coaches making their teams "stay for Eyes." Maybe it's part the way out. 
If it's useful as a tool to get him out for less $, great.

But let's not discuss it was though it's a reason he should/shouldn't be gone. There's plenty of reason for that already.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

THIS. Who was standing for the Eyes of Texas has nothing to do with Herman losing to Maryland twice, getting constantly pantsed by Patterson, and generally being a jackass. He was failing his players well before this became a topic of discussion and if allowed to stay he'll continue to fail.

It's just a distraction and one more example of his failure in leading this program. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

They should be free to choose to do whichever they want regardless of why they’re doing it. It’s that simple. Forcing them because some fans and boosters got their pussies hurt is asinine. Again, Tom not conveying expectations was stupid as they are what his boss mandated, but those expectations were misguided.

Those fans and boosters are the backbone of this program. Without them these players wouldn’t have their new locker room, the amenities they have, the access to top of the line healthcare, post graduate support, and etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Until you read Chips article and see that he has 3 coaches on record who were willing to put their name out there that they had specific instructions prior but Tom was either insubordinate or failed as a leader due to not having his team disciplined enough to do what was asked of him and his team. 

If we were 4-0 coming off of a dominant win against OU and ranked in the top 10, do you think anyone would care even if those coaches went on record that football was breaking the rules? No. It would be cleaned up in a week and everyone would move on.

It's a little extra fuel on the fire, I get it, but there's already an aggy lincoln log sized blaze going, and it doesn't need much help to collapse at on itself at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, alincoln said:

You must not have much experience raising millions in charitable contributions

Correct and as a player who doesn’t see most of that money I also wouldn’t give two fucks and would choose to do whichever I wanted. If some old aggyesque turdition white guys get bent out of shape about it that’s not the players concern and the AD needs to find another way to placate their aggyesque tendencies. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Those fans and boosters are the backbone of this program. Without them these players wouldn’t have their new locker room, the amenities they have, the access to top of the line healthcare, post graduate support, and etc. 

If we win enough those same people will donate regardless. This is only an issue because we suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

This is the real benefit of the degree and school.  The contacts made and relationships that we all know makes the world go 'round.  Case McCoy is crushing it in Commercial RE in Austin.  Damn hard field to break in to.  Little doubt the skids were greased getting his name in the hat and deals done.  Happens all the time.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas