Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Is 12 just your emotional age or also your actual age?
Really dude? This is where you are going? You go all vocabualry nazi ,and i comeback with a yo mama. And this is what you got?

How many times does it need to be said? Do you know where you fucking are?
2272abe9a17091f14a27968f36f05c3c.gif

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ehlinger, Hurts, King and Patterson

It was a who’s who of big names showing up at the first day of the Elite 11 and Opening Finals in Frisco, including Sam Ehlinger of Texas football.

A big time closing recruiting event during the college football offseason is going on this weekend in Frisco, TX, at the Ford Center at the Star with the Elite 11 and Opening Finals. From June 29-July 3 more than 100 of the nation’s top high school prospects will compete in a top showcase and 7-on-7 tournament in the Opening Finals.

The nation’s 20 best quarterbacks, as determined by the Elite 11 decision makers, were also hand picked to compete this weekend. Overseeing that Elite 11 showcase this weekend is four “college counselors” that are some of the top quarterbacks in the nation at the college level entering the 2019 regular season.

Those four counselors selected for the Elite 11 were highlighted by Texas football rising junior star quarterback Sam Ehlinger and the former Alabama Crimson Tide National Champion and Oklahoma Sooners grad transfer Jalen Hurts. Ehlinger and Hurts were also joined by rising Group of Five star sophomore signal caller D’Eriq King and Michigan Wolverines transfer quarterback Shea Patterson. King is entering a big sophomore campaign with the Houston Cougars.

Ehlinger and Hurts were big names added to the Elite 11 and bring an interesting presence to this group of mostly four and five-star quarterbacks. Four-star Lake Travis High School dual-threat quarterback Hudson Card is a headlining name among this group of quarterback prospects in the Elite 11. He got to do a few dropback pass drills alongside Ehlinger.

This could be a big addition for the recruiting for programs like Oklahoma and Texas. Since this is the dead period for contract for potential recruits, head Texas football coach Tom Herman can’t do much to make his presence known for his program.

On 7/4/2019 at 10:02 AM, Tex Long said:

Is that not merely one, but two, examples of OL holding? Useta be, but judging from the dearth of laundry on the field in most XII games, it may not even be a foul anymore.

They hold like that every play.  I remember Brian Orakpo's jersey literally being torn with no call.

I wouldn’t call either holding in that picture.  However, if 97 breaks to the inside, then yes 69 will end up in a bad position causing him to be called for holding.  There is too much space for 79 to disengage and help the rush and will make it more obvious. Coaches teach grabbing the jersey just under the shoulder pads (even if it is technically holding), but keep the defense in front of you.  This will never be called.

On 7/3/2019 at 8:44 PM, LTtxfan said:

Imagine being named Guerin Emig. Then imagine taking Hurts over Ehlinger because Riley > Herman. 

What does that even mean? 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Imagine being named Guerin Emig. Then imagine taking Hurts over Ehlinger because Riley > Herman. 

What does that even mean? 

I assume it means Mr Emig thinks Riley's scheme is more conducive for showcasing the QB than Herman's. It also means he chokes on dicks. 

On 7/8/2019 at 11:07 AM, ShowmeyourTDs said:

I wouldn’t call either holding in that picture...Coaches teach grabbing the jersey just under the shoulder pads 

Exactly but they're grabbing outside the shoulder pads.  They just bear hug and manhandle every play. 

On 6/28/2019 at 12:34 PM, Eggo said:

yeah, among millennial fans, the same people who think that Floyd Mayweather is the greatest boxer ever, or that LeBron James is better/greater than Jordan, or that Larry Bird wasn't athletic enough to star in today's league, or that LJH > Roy Williams. Vince Young is the greatest college football player ever, and any Texas fan who puts Sam ahead of him is an ignorant, juul smoking moron. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 8

also, yesterday i went back and watched Sam's post game interview with Holly Rowe from the Sugar Bowl, and I just love the big, shit-eating grin he gets when she asks him the question that tees him up for, "Longhorn Nation: We're baaaaaaaccccckkkkk!" So fucking awesome.

b7395272ee1a7b34738dc49770854e05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, among millennial fans, the same people who think that Floyd Mayweather is the greatest boxer ever, or that LeBron James is better/greater than Jordan, or that Larry Bird wasn't athletic enough to star in today's league, or that LJH > Roy Williams. Vince Young is the greatest college football player ever, and any Texas fan who puts Sam ahead of him is an ignorant, juul smoking moron. 

You're probably right, but how about we wait until Sam graduates.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

This is a little over the top, in my opinion. Is Vince Young currently the greatest college football player ever? Yes. Is he currently most people's favorite Longhorn football player ever? Yes. But let's not forget that he earned both of those titles during his final 2 seasons at Texas. Sam still has his final 2 seasons in front of him. Is it LIKELY that Sam's final 2 years overcome what VY did in his final 2 years? No. Is it POSSIBLE? Based on the improvements Sam made last year, and assuming he can continue to improve at the same rate; I would argue that it is possible. I think the "favorite Longhorn" title is obviously more achievable than the "greatest ever" title.Think about it: it's possible that Sam could ride out of Austin with 3 straight victories over OU in Dallas, 2 straight Big 12 titles, and 4 straight victories in major bowls. On top of those achievements, he'll also leave us with memories of his badass moments (mocking Drew Lock's backpack, take the loss pussy, we're baaaack!, etc. Plus many more that are sure to happen over the next two years.). 

Also, Lebron > Jordan. 

OK. the premise here is that "the stage is set for Sam to surpass VY with the fans". do you know what it would take for that to happen with anyone over 30? I don't think it's even possible. look at Colt McCoy's career at Texas- even if god hadn't smited us and Colt had stayed healthy vs Alabama in what would have been a national title win vs the dark lord Nick Saban, do you think he would have "surpassed VY with the fans", or even approached it? HELL no. not even close. but the presumption here is that Sam Ehlinger is on the verge of doing that? Like I said, not with anyone old enough to remember Texas football before 2000.

Thats the thing with Vince Young- he isn't just the GOAT, he ended a 35 year NC drought for Texas, and it ain't like we kept coming close to winning one a whole bunch of times during that stretch either. Texas had a lot of bad teams and disappointing seasons between 1970 and 2005, and plenty of heartache and misfortune to boot (from the 1984 Cotton Bowl to the fact that Rosie Leaks should be a Heisman winning legend yet no UT fan under 40 has ever heard of him). Vince ended all of that. Vince ended Stoops' dominance of Mack and Texas, and changed the entire culture of the program. He then went and put on the best performance of all time in the biggest game of all time, against the best team of all time. There's levels to this shit.

This is so much bigger than him just being a great player. It's everything he stood for and what he meant/means to the legacy of the entire program. He's beyond a great player, he's a truly transcendent player. Like a once-a-generation player, and I don't mean for a program, I mean for the entire sport. We're talking Bo Jackson type stuff here, except with more success, more hardware, and more meaningful, program changing victories. Every success we've had after VY is because of VY, and without VY I shudder to think where we'd be as a program. We'd probably just be Nebraska South. I fucking love Sam and I hope he wins two Heismans and two NC's, but he is not about to "pass Vince Young among the fans" with a single person who remembers Texas football before VY. I love Sam Ehlinger; I thank God for Vince Young. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 5

Wow, dude. It's as if you think we've never heard of Vince Young before. But the fact remains that it's college and the fanbase adds and subtracts thousands of people every year. Do you think it was ever fathomable that UT could ever have a legend as big as Earl Campbell? What about Ricky Williams? It's not about which player was better or had a bigger impact at the time, it's about who is most RELEVANT. Unfortunately, Vince hasn't done anything meaningful in over a decade. If he gets knocked down a rung or two in the consciousness of the fanbase, you should be ecstatic because it means we don't have to rest our laurels on something that happened in 2005 anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

OK. the premise here is that "the stage is set for Sam to surpass VY with the fans". do you know what it would take for that to happen with anyone over 30? I don't think it's even possible. look at Colt McCoy's career at Texas- even if god hadn't smited us and Colt had stayed healthy vs Alabama in what would have been a national title win vs the dark lord Nick Saban, do you think he would have "surpassed VY with the fans", or even approached it? HELL no. not even close. but the presumption here is that Sam Ehlinger is on the verge of doing that? Like I said, not with anyone old enough to remember Texas football before 2000.

Thats the thing with Vince Young- he isn't just the GOAT, he ended a 35 year NC drought for Texas, and it ain't like we kept coming close to winning one a whole bunch of times during that stretch either. Texas had a lot of bad teams and disappointing seasons between 1970 and 2005, and plenty of heartache and misfortune to boot (from the 1984 Cotton Bowl to the fact that Rosie Leaks should be a Heisman winning legend yet no UT fan under 40 has ever heard of him). Vince ended all of that. Vince ended Stoops' dominance of Mack and Texas, and changed the entire culture of the program. He then went and put on the best performance of all time in the biggest game of all time, against the best team of all time. There's levels to this shit.

This is so much bigger than him just being a great player. It's everything he stood for and what he meant/means to the legacy of the entire program. He's beyond a great player, he's a truly transcendent player. Like a once-a-generation player, and I don't mean for a program, I mean for the entire sport. We're talking Bo Jackson type stuff here, except with more success, more hardware, and more meaningful, program changing victories. Every success we've had after VY is because of VY, and without VY I shudder to think where we'd be as a program. We'd probably just be Nebraska South. I fucking love Sam and I hope he wins two Heismans and two NC's, but he is not about to "pass Vince Young among the fans" with a single person who remembers Texas football before VY. I love Sam Ehlinger; I thank God for Vince Young. 

You're derka'ing this thread hard right now and this is from someone that often backs you up on the basketball board.  You created a huge strawman about millennials and then definitively declared that Sam will never be better than VY when his career is halfway through right now. Sam may never be better at the game of football than VY, but if he stays four years and wins a heisman and national title, then it's at least arguable who was better and would be inarguable as to who accomplished more.

Now, I'm not saying that's likely, but you're insistence on this point is premature and ridiculous.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

You're derka'ing this thread hard right now and this is from someone that often backs you up on the basketball board.  You created a huge strawman about millennials and then definitively declared that Sam will never be better than VY when his career is halfway through right now. Sam may never be better at the game of football than VY, but if he stays four years and wins a heisman and national title, then it's at least arguable who was better and would be inarguable as to who accomplished more.

Now, I'm not saying that's likely, but you're insistence on this point is premature and ridiculous.  

"my insistence on that point"? huh? i've barely even opined on that point, much less insisted on it. did you even read my post? like, at all? the entire thing is about how Sam isn't going to "surpass VY" in the minds of older fans because of all of the stuff that happened between 1970 and 2005, and how which has absolutely nothing to do with which one of them is better player. in fact i bent over backwards to state that it was about so much more than the two simply as players. now you are derka'ing the thread by going off the rails about something that isn't even happening. and that's coming from someone who often thinks that you *aren't* one to act like an ass when you don't even know what you're talking about. 

Edited by Goo Punch

oh my god you girls are so dramatic. let the record show that i'm in here talking about the thread subject while you guys can't stop talking about me. someone posted a tweet about Sam "surpassing VY with the fans", I responded with "not any fans who are old enough to remember what Texas football was like before VY", gave detailed reasons why that is (and kept it to three paragraphs, you're welcome), and now you teenage girls are in here whining and making a mountain out of a molehill during the dog days of the offseason when there ain't shit else going on anyway. In all honesty I have no idea why anyone is freaking out in the first place. it's unwarranted.

Edited by Goo Punch