Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m an older fan, and I think that it is possible that Sam could pass Vince in popularity. Likely? No. Possible, of course. Thusly, Derka’s whole premise has been invalidated by this old person. Next topic.

I agree that it's certainly possible.  Sam arguably had the better sophomore year than Vince, and unlike Vince I think he'll likely be at Texas for his senior year.  But it's all going to come down to a title.  And not just a title, but leading a championship team in such a dominant, get-on-my-back fashion as Vince. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And not just a title, but leading a championship team in such a dominant, get-on-my-back fashion as Vince. 

That really is the bottom line.

On a side note, it is important to remember that "favorite" and "best" are not the same thing. My "favorite" Texas QB was James Brown. But even though he makes the top 10 for all-time UT quarterbacks, nobody would swap him out for Young, McCoy, Street, Layne, Simms, Applewhite or, and this is the relevant part, Ehlinger.

Sam is teed up. The odds are obviously against him equalling or surpassing Young, but I will be highly gruntled if he does.

• Like 1

If he sits out every fourth quarter of a season because we are winning by elevanty-billion and we go undefeated and win a national title over the media touted best team of all time, then yes we can have the discussion.

Sam can, and hopefully, will have a college hall of fame career but Vince is arguably (in my opinion without a doubt) the best college player of all time, so that is the bar Sam needs to approach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I agree that it's certainly possible.  Sam arguably had the better sophomore year than Vince, and unlike Vince I think he'll likely be at Texas for his senior year.  But it's all going to come down to a title.  And not just a title, but leading a championship team in such a dominant, get-on-my-back fashion as Vince. 

If Sam wins a title, it will likely include beating LSU, OU (at least once), Bama/tOSU/UGA, and a Clemson team led by Trevor Lawrence all in the same season. I can't imagine that happens unless Sam has multiple dominant, get-on-my-back performances. 

22 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I will wait until Sam has finished his career here to determine if he is any better than James Street.

Unpossible, unless Sam eschews spring football for the next two years, joins baseball, and breaks Slick's pitching records that broke Bobby Layne's pitching records. Then we can discuss it. Oh, and he'll need his own versions of Wooster, Bertelsen, and Koy Minor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i don't even disagree with a single post that's been made since my last post, mostly because none of those posts disagree (or even really address) anything i said. i agree with all of you guys about what Sam would have to do to be thought of in the same vein as VY. i simply do not agree that he is on the verge of surpassing VY in the hearts of many fans who weren't already HS or college aged when VY arrived on campus. and that really shouldn't be a controversial opinion. 

Edited by Goo Punch

I believe Sam has almost as many losses as a starter in his first 2 years as Vince & Colt had in their entire Texas careers combined. Not really an knock on Sam, but it’s gonna be hard to compete with the legacies of guys that led such dominant teams like that. 

A national title would go a very, very long way though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

Wow, dude. It's as if you think we've never heard of Vince Young before. But the fact remains that it's college and the fanbase adds and subtracts thousands of people every year. Do you think it was ever fathomable that UT could ever have a legend as big as Earl Campbell? What about Ricky Williams? It's not about which player was better or had a bigger impact at the time, it's about who is most RELEVANT. Unfortunately, Vince hasn't done anything meaningful in over a decade. If he gets knocked down a rung or two in the consciousness of the fanbase, you should be ecstatic because it means we don't have to rest our laurels on something that happened in 2005 anymore. 

Now imagine if you were an aggy and you switched out all this shit with old aggy players then had to type "1930's" instead of 2005

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I believe Sam has almost as many losses as a starter in his first 2 years as Vince & Colt had in their entire Texas careers combined. Not really an knock on Sam, but it’s gonna be hard to compete with the legacies of guys that led such dominant teams like that. 

A national title would go a very, very long way though. 

Sam definitely bears responsibility for some of the losses, but he has been part of a rebuild from a shitpile that Vince and Colt didn't have to go through.  

21 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i don't even disagree with a single post that's been made since my last post, because. one of those posts disagree (or even address) anything i said. i agree with all of you guys about what Sam would have to do to be thought of in the same vein as VY. i simply do not agree that he is on the verge of surpassing VY in the hearts of many fans who weren't already HS or college aged when VY arrived on campus. and that really shouldn't be a controversial opinion. 

It's not controversial, it's just dumb. 

37 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Sam definitely bears responsibility for some of the losses, but he has been part of a rebuild from a shitpile that Vince and Colt didn't have to go through.  

That is true. Vince had a great team around him, and so did Colt (never mind the loss of his o-line after 2006)

My eyes glazed over reading the last page or so . . . I think Sam's a badass, but I'd bet a month's salary that he will never reach the transcendent level of play VY did.  That said, it's an insane bar, and I'd make the same bet on most QBs.

Did I mention I make $7.25/hour?

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My eyes glazed over reading the last page or so . . . I think Sam's a badass, but I'd bet a month's salary that he will never reach the transcendent level of play VY did.  That said, it's an insane bar, and I'd make the same bet on most QBs.

I'm with you 100%. I'd love to be wrong, but VY was truly transcendent. Sam has the "IT" factor, too, but not the raw physical tools Vince did.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not bad. I made $0.75 an hour working the closed stacks in the Tower as a soph in '62. Of course, that bought three Stars or three gallons of Regular, so there's that...

Edited by Tex Long
can't type good

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

It's not controversial, it's just dumb. 

lol ok. then i'll be sure to bump this thread and eat crow next January when all of the UT fans and alumni who were born in the 80's or before declare that Sam Ehlinger is more special to them than Vince Young. 

saying that Sam Ehlinger is on the verge of passing VY in the hearts of UT fans would be like an Auburn fan in 2004 saying that Ronnie Brown was about to surpass Bo Jackson in the hearts of Auburn alums, or a 2005 Michigan fan saying that Leon Hall was about to surpass Charles Woodson in the hearts of UM fans. and this instance would be more egregious than any of those. this need people have to compare Sam to VY needs chill for a hot minute.

Edited by Goo Punch

53 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

lol ok. then i'll be sure to bump this thread and eat crow next January when all of the UT fans and alumni who were born in the 80's or before declare that Sam Ehlinger is more special to them than Vince Young. 

saying that Sam Ehlinger is on the verge of passing VY in the hearts of UT fans would be like an Auburn fan in 2004 saying that Ronnie Brown was about to surpass Bo Jackson in the hearts of Auburn alums, or a 2005 Michigan fan saying that Leon Hall was about to surpass Charles Woodson in the hearts of UM fans. and this instance would be more egregious than any of those. this need people have to compare Sam to VY needs chill for a hot minute.

I have to hand it to you, your lack of need to compare Sam and VY looks an awful lot like comparing Sam and VY. You fooled me into thinking you're doing exactly what you're telling other people not to do. 

P.S. I'm sure a lot of Auburn fans recognize Cam Newton before Bo Jackson these days. 

Edited by Eggo

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

vince made some loyal texas fans a lot of money in 2015.  we covered every single game that season, including the championship.  that means if you bet $20 on the horns in week 1 and let it ride all season you’d have made... quite a bit of money. 

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

vince made some loyal texas fans a lot of money in 2015.  we covered every single game that season, including the championship.  that means if you bet $20 on the horns in week 1 and let it ride all season you’d have made... quite a bit of money. 

How about if you bet tree-fiddy?

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, among millennial fans, the same people who think that Floyd Mayweather is the greatest boxer ever, or that LeBron James is better/greater than Jordan, or that Larry Bird wasn't athletic enough to star in today's league, or that LJH > Roy Williams. Vince Young is the greatest college football player ever, and any Texas fan who puts Sam ahead of him is an ignorant, juul smoking moron. 

A lot of millennials were in their 20's when Vince played, for the record. 

2 things for everyone confidently saying Sam has 2 more years left:

The 2020 QB draft class looks very weak. Sam has a big year I can see him jumping right to the top of the list (Tua, Utah St kid, Fromm?)

The 2021 QB draft class is shaping up to be pretty strong with Lawrence, Daniels, Bowman, maybe Fields or the kid from BYU.

Good for us Sam loves Texas and the school so much, plus he may want to finish up at McCombs and play all 4 years. But when this season ends there's a strong chance he's gonna have so e loud voices in his ear telling him it's better for him to leave

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

You chucklefucks will ruin anything. Let's enjoy Sam and his (hopefully) continued growth while we have him, and we can debate his legacy after his career at Texas is done.

all right. which one of you yaahoos have been messing with the bots programming? cus im pretty sure "chucklefucks" wasnt in there previously.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, futureman said:

Damn, that 5-7 team didn't make me a plum nickel!  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Drew said:

I mean if Sam leads this team to back to back titles as a true blue "fuck OU/aggy" guy as he's been this past off season, and does it in dominating fashion...yeah, it could be debated.  But that's a LOT to do.

If that happened it would probably cement him as a god in Austin. It would likely also be accompanied by a heisman too, he could he seen almost as a deity. 

19 hours ago, futureman said:

25 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Damn, that 5-7 team didn't make me a plum nickel!  

He's apparently better with the future than the past.

• Like 2

At 28, I’ve had an interesting experience with UT quarterbacks. The first season I ever really watched college football was when i was 12-13, watching us win the rose bowl against Michigan. From then I was “hooked”, if you will. Watched the whole 04-05 season as a HS freshman and won many bets against wannabe Aggies about us winning games and the NC that season. Not sure any athlete could bring the amount of joy VY gave me that year. Solidified that I wanted to go to UT (outside of the academic rep of course) 

Fast forward and colt was the QB my freshman year at UT. 3rd and whatever was almost never in doubt with that dude, and we ride he and Shipley to the NC game. I’ll always have a great fondness for colt especially after my next three years had GG, case, and a smattering if non-concussed David ash. 

Looking at it now, though, if we were to win an NC after all the shit we’ve been through the last 10 years, if Sam were to win an NC he very well may jump to the top of my list. While he as an individual may not be the automatic 3rd down converter (unless shirt yardage) like colt or VY were, he has that trait of being able to get everyone so jacked up that his team won’t let him down and we haven’t had that kind of confidence since 09. Consider that he also didn’t have the teams that VY or Colt did around him and to me it’s all the more impressive. Plus, I love the cocky attitude, I guess. 

• Like 1

Page 1 of this thread, from less than a year ago LOL:

"dude is mush. he''s not even a poor mans colt."

"Sam Ehlinger is a classic football moron. It is no wonder Tim Beck and Herman love him. They’re all losers. "

"fucking horrible, get him out of there"

"He goes through his progressions like he reads 12 words per minute while mouthing the words out loud. "

"He’s garbage. And if mods are deleting threads, so is this board."

"A waterheaded retard. He should be done here. "

"Might be the worse QB we have ever had "

"Makes plays here  and there but he's another Gilbert."

"He’s an outstanding young man, a tremendous representative of the university, he’s honestly a solid QB, and I highly suspect that he’ll lead a more successful life than I ever will. However in high pressure situations with the game on the line, he’s just about the last person on earth I want taking snaps. He’s like the anti-Colt McCoy."

"I had a lot of faith that Sam wold make a good jump from last year to this year. He just doesn't have it. He needs to be benched. If we are going to have another 6-6 season then just play Cam Rising and get him some experience."

"Kid has guts but makes way too many STUPID mistakes....Ridiculous that this University cannot find a quality QB."

"watched the Hawaii - Colorado State last week and I promise you that both those QBs are better than anything at Texas "

"he fucking sucks"

"His moxiness greatly exceeds his winnerness."

"Fuck yourself. He’s a fucking retard. Same shit over and over and over. He’s done. We’re done. "

"He’d make a good fullback"

"Sam needs to see the bench and then learn to block and play h-back.  He can’t handle the mental part of QB, and he’s not even a great pure thrower either."

"Sam is bad. "

• Like 3
  • Haha 2