9.3.18 Coach Herman press conference (Noon)

bigup2dahorns

42 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

So you guys are saying Faulkner's As I Lay Dying might've been a better reference?

We will beat Tulsa, and Stanford will bitchslap USC, who will still be reeling when we beat them.

You boys will feel a bit better in two weeks.

That lethal Ehlinger+Porter combo will lead us to an easy win over USC. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

My favorite Shaggy.....err...Surly tradition is the press conference thread after a loss, LOL.  I'm as pissed as anyone but there is literally nothing any coach can say in a press conference that's going to satisfy anyone after a shitty loss.  It was the same with Mack, same with Strong, same with Herman and will be the same with the next guy.  

Mostly agree but telling the press you told your starting LB to read Steinbeck after an embarrassing loss is a sure way to lose both Surly and a press conference. Tom Herman is no Phil Jackson. 

3 hours ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

What the hell - give the HC to Orlando and bring in Kings Kliffsberry as the OC and quaterback recruiter - to hell with it

Mulling this over . . . hmmmm . . imagining the upside . . .  

I've concluded it's much better than what we have now.  I watched about 20 seconds on YouTube of the presser.  I've had a few annual reviews that were much more gruesome than that.

3 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

No amount of words will ever make sense of a whole half of Porter over Ingram. It was inexplicable, but absolutely par-for-the-course with Herman’s abject stubbornness. 

Keontay is inexperienced.  He ate too many slices of pizza during the rain delay and got a tummy ache.  

Porter is a seasoned veteran who knew how many slices to eat.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Disagree.  Coaches can state they see the same thing the fans do, which is obvious to most fan bases.  Let us know you see the problems and will address them.  That's it.  But refusing to acknowledge them just shows us how clueless a coach is.

It’s a funny tradition. Coaches think that they can somehow trick the fan base by not mentioning the actual problems with our performance. Which just pisses off the fan base more.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Is it really humblebragging when you reference a book from high school English?

I'd be more impressed with a difficult Faulkner novel. (Sam as Benjy?) Or hell, if he really wants to be a smarty pants, toss out an Absalom, Absalom! reference.

The only way thermensa redeems himself on this topic is to provide a Distant Early Warning, or explain the Ingram quarantine using Ulysses or Finnegan's Wake.

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I'm as pissed as anyone but there is literally nothing any coach can say in a press conference that's going to satisfy anyone after a shitty loss.

I want to start by saying I am accountable for yesterday's result, the way we achieved the result, and any question about the decisions we made that led to the way we achieved the result.  Specifically, I should have kept calling the plays, and kept running tempo.  I also should have kept Ingram on the field.  I also take responsibility for the lack of inventiveness, misdirection, or any element of surprise in our playcalling, and specifically the fact that our route trees seemed to be known in advance by the competition did not help Sam when he had no options but to throw in to double coverage.  In summary, this is on me, we are going to do better, and we are pissed off about what happened.  I would like to thank the defense for getting it together in the 2nd half and giving us not one, not two, but three chances in the last 7 minutes to win the game.  We miss the punter.

Questions?

Edited by Hagbard Celine
derp
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

So you guys are saying Faulkner's As I Lay Dying might've been a better reference?

We will beat Tulsa, and Stanford will bitchslap USC, who will still be reeling when we beat them.

You boys will feel a bit better in two weeks.

nope.  he has to bat 1.000 for 2 months before the heat on the stove gets turned down, and then only to a nice hot springs bath temperature.

there is a 90% chance we have 2 wins at most in 60 days time.

This arrogant POS needs his face rubbed in his own shit in the worst way. The only way he can start to win back the fan base that he looks down on is if CDC shaves his fucking head and makes him walk down San Jac for his atonement. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TriStone said:

What have you guys seen out of Buechele that makes you think he's any better?  Unless you're saying you want to throw yet another true fish into the fire.

We saw a improved o-line and running game(besides benching our most productive runner) and Shane is a better passer when given time and doesn’t have to run for his life.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I want to start by saying I am accountable for yesterday's result, the way we achieved the result, and any question about the decisions we made that led to the way we achieved the result.  Specifically, I should have kept calling the plays, and kept running tempo.  I also should have kept Ingram on the field.  I also take responsibility for the lack of inventiveness, misdirection, or any element of surprise in our playcalling, and specifically the fact that our route trees seemed to be known in advance by the competition did not help Sam when he had no options but to throw in to double coverage.  In summary, this is on me, we are going to do better, and we are pissed off about what happened.  I would like to thank the defense for getting it together in the 2nd half and giving us not one, not two, but three chances in the last 7 minutes to win the game.  We miss the punter.

Questions?

Great post. 110% spot on. Would rep twice if I could.

I worked a few Mack Brown press conferences.  They didn't pre-screen questions, but there were a limited number of questions allowed, a number that was lower than hands in the air, so the questions got rationed, uh... somehow.

My wife was working with Mack's daughter at the time, and one day after a PC, I went up and introduced myself, mentioned this to him and talked a bit.  I was selected to ask him a question at the next PC I went to.

53 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The only way thermensa redeems himself on this topic is to provide a Distant Early Warning, or explain the Ingram quarantine using Ulysses or Finnegan's Wake.

Does Sam share a birthday with any of the receivers? He was born on the anniversary of the independence of Botswana. Maybe he can mention them having telepathic powers like in Rushdie's Midnight's Children.

And a lead story on ESPN's site, as well it should be when a $5MM+ / year coach of a storied program doesn't have a clue. 

AUSTIN, Texas -- There's an informal new course at the University of Texas: American Literature with Tom Herman.

First on the syllabus: comparing a second straight loss to Maryland with the works of Nobel Prize winner John Steinbeck.

Texas, Herman said Monday, was like the simple but brutish Lenny from Steinbeck's classic "Of Mice and Men." The Longhorns tried so hard to win they killed their chance to do it.

"Lenny wanted so badly to touch the rabbit and play with the rabbit, he squeezed it so hard he killed the rabbit," Herman said, noting he told linebacker Gary Johnson to read the book. "I know that seems maybe out there a little bit. I think that's what the first quarter was. We wanted it so badly, we got in our own way quite a bit."

Herman mangled the analogy a bit. In the novel, Lenny kills a puppy, a mouse and a woman and only dreams of rabbits. And Lenny gets killed at the end.

But at 7-7 over his first 14 games at Texas, too many more losses could prompt lectures on other Steinbeck titles, such as the "The Grapes of Wrath" or "The Winter of Our Discontent."

"This one game will not define us. How we grow from it and respond to it will," Herman said.

Herman faces an angry fan base yet again after Saturday's 34-29 loss to the Terrapins was punctuated by the same problems of last season's 7-6 finish. The Longhorns trailed big early, lost a lead late and had three turnovers in the fourth quarter, two by sophomore quarterback Sam Ehlinger.

Nationally, much is expected of No. 23 Texas in Herman's second year. The coach insists this year's team is different and better, even if the early result is exactly the same.

"The reason we played so poorly, in my opinion, is actually a good reason, because of how close this team has become, how badly they wanted to perform for each other, for their coaches," Herman said. "Everybody still believes in what we have spent the last year and a half building here."

Texas got off to another slow start and trailed 24-7 early. Herman put the offense into an up-tempo attack and Texas rallied to within 24-22 by halftime.

A week ago, Herman said his players were enjoying being in the same offense for the second consecutive year after having multiple coordinators in recent seasons. But after the loss, Herman said they were overthinking the game early, calling it "paralysis by analysis."

"We got on the head set and said these guys are thinking way too much," Herman said. "We felt like the best way to get them to stop thinking so much and being so tentative was to go play."

Ehlinger slid back into his old turnover habits with fourth quarter interceptions. The last one with a minute left came on a throw that sailed high over his receiver's head. After the game, Ehlinger said "you have to put the ball up in a risky situation."

Herman said he won't bench Ehlinger for junior Shane Buechele this week when Texas hosts Tulsa and will be heavily favored to win.

"Sam didn't play perfect but nobody did. His errors weren't egregious enough to just dump him on the depth chart. You start doing that you're riding the roller coaster," Herman said.

Herman also said it was his call to not give the ball to freshman running back Keaontay Ingram in the second half against Maryland. Ingram averaged a team-high 6.2 yards per carry and a touchdown on six rushes in the first.

Herman said wanted veteran players on the field late in a tight road game. Graduate transfer Tre Watson fumbled in the fourth quarter and junior Kyle Porter dropped a pass the play before Ehlinger's final interception.

Texas fans will remember Herman's mentor Mack Brown keeping freshman Cedric Benson out of a loss to Oklahoma game in 2001. Benson would go on to become one of the top rushers in NCAA history.

Herman insists good things are coming.

"The sky is not falling. The sun is going to come up, hopefully, tomorrow," Herman said. "If it doesn't come up, we're kind of all screwed on that."

I’m a novice arm chair coach but how hard is it to win at a place like Texas in the Big f*ckin 12? How hard is it to not hire a coach that’s been fired at previous programs? How hard is it to stick what’s been working throughout the course of a game? I feel like these are insanely easy fixes that these coaches just refuse to fix.

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Arrogance...yes social media can be full of misinformation to an extent but unlike the 1960s or heck even the 1990s fans can, if they want, watch the results of every coaching opportunity at the college level with their eyes. And then there is thing that gets compiled and is easily available on the intergoogles called stats.

Why coaches don't seem to understand that is not misinformation that is just people using results baffles me.  

No shit.  What possible information could anyone have that would improve the shitshow that our offense has been?  Fecal smears?