Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

My wife waited an hour in line this afternoon. It was the same for me this morning. As a former precinct chairman, I have never seen turnout even close to this. The people are fired up.

Of course, the #1 question is, are Democrats just cannibalizing their election day votes?  For some weirdo, 80 year old logic, Election Day is some sacred moment for Republicans who will ONLY vote on the 2nd Tuesday in November, AND NOT ONE DAMN DAY BEFORE.

Just voted.  Main library is right across the street from my gym so that was very convenient.  Longer line than I've ever previously seen for early voting.  Waited about 10-15 minutes and the line was twice as long as I was leaving as when I arrived.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Of course, the #1 question is, are Democrats just cannibalizing their election day votes?  For some weirdo, 80 year old logic, Election Day is some sacred moment for Republicans who will ONLY vote on the 2nd Tuesday in November, AND NOT ONE DAMN DAY BEFORE.

well, they're, like, idiots. if early voting is this crowded, day-of is going to be insane

Just now, Js1 said:

Yes, but . . . 

As I pointed out above, every vote cast today is a person that Beto's campaign can take off their GOTV list.  So they can take the resources that would otherwise be devoted to that voter and direct it toward someone who hasn't voted yet.  And if you get enough of those, you're going to turn out a lot more people on Election Day who are unlikely voters, because you're not worrying about getting out the vote of people who are going to vote anyway.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

She probably trends softball but if you sufficiently wow her, she may try a pick-up game in some other sport. If you are white, read up on the San Patricio battalion from the Mexican-American War and then come up with some outrageous lie that you are either descended from one of them, or at least are in Mexico to study them, and, gazing into her eyes, explain how you suddenly realize why they fought for the Mexican people. Ask her to tell you of the struggle. Then ask her where you can get real tequila without so many tourists around. Ask her where you can hear "trova" music (it's folky. college chicks dig it.) Have fun.

Depending on how much fun you have, she will stalk you and show up again, even if you cross an international border.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

i feel like people getting out and doing it early, talking about it, it being in the news, etc - could have a big impact on young people who may indicate that they will vote and then go eat hipster ramen instead and fuck was that today?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yes, but . . . 

As I pointed out above, every vote cast today is a person that Beto's campaign can take off their GOTV list.  So they can take the resources that would otherwise be devoted to that voter and direct it toward someone who hasn't voted yet.  And if you get enough of those, you're going to turn out a lot more people on Election Day who are unlikely voters, because you're not worrying about getting out the vote of people who are going to vote anyway.

Hope so.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yes, but . . . 

the campaigns have access to the names of people who've voted?

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

wat

Just now, gsoda3 said:

the campaigns have access to the names of people who've voted?

Anyone they contact who says "yes I voted already" is a person they don't have to follow up with between that day and Election Day.

i feel like people getting out and doing it early, talking about it, it being in the news, etc - could have a big impact on young people who may indicate that they will vote and then go eat hipster ramen instead and fuck was that today?
This. This is the "I voted" social media effect. Let's hope we got enough of em registered.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:22 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

You’re really showing your ass on this thread, man. When I do that I like to give the politics a break and contemplate some combination of The Beatitudes and Robert Heinlein’s “This I believe” essay.

what are you talking about?

All you Betophiles need to get on down to the Mendenhall Community Center at Westview and Antoine here in Houston.  He’s on the way.   

Supposed to be here at 2ish. Crowd of about 250 or so waiting on him.  Sorry, no hotties.  

Dont know if he’s taking a skateboard or an Escalade to get here.   

• Like 1

Who would win in a fistfight between Trump and Ted Cruz? Trump is older and fatter, but was by all accounts a decent athlete when he was younger. Ted Cruz is younger and probably has a lot of deep seeded rage against Trump on his side. But he can't dribble a basketball between his legs. God, I'd fucking LOVE to see that fight.

Image result for cruz basketball gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Who would win in a fistfight between Trump and Ted Cruz? Trump is older and fatter, but was by all accounts a decent athlete when he was younger. Ted Cruz is younger and probably has a lot of deep seeded rage against Trump on his side. But he can't dribble a basketball between his legs. God, I'd fucking LOVE to see that fight.

Image result for cruz basketball gif

That is painful to watch but I gotta feeling Beto’s move would look like that too. 

10 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Trump would win 10 out of 10. It'd be like a mean old wolf tearing out the throat of a fatted calf.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Went during lunch to vote at the Waugh voting place, line was out the door and wrapping around the parking lot. Easily 200 people in line. I've early voted at this location every time and have never seen more than 30 or 40 people in line at peak hours. 

Anecdotal evidence (which is the strongest kind of evidence) says Beto in a landslide. 

Edit: Just read the article, probably a few more people than the 200 that I estimated. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

So, what exactly has Beto accomplished?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beto_O'Rourke

When I was in the eighth grade I was on the student council.  My dad asked what we did.  I started telling him about electing officers, taking minutes and so on.  He said, "Well that just perpetuates your existence.  What did you do for the students not in the student council?"   Of course, we had done nothing but meet and "perpetuate our existence".

So, what has Beto done?  I mean, besides being a live-in nanny and having an accident while drunk?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 14

7 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

When I was in the eighth grade I was on the student council.  My dad asked what we did.  I started telling him about electing officers, taking minutes and so on.  He said, "Well that just perpetuates your existence.  What did you do for the students not in the student council?"   Of course, we had done nothing but meet and "perpetuate our existence".

So, what has Beto done?  I mean, besides being a live-in nanny and having an accident while drunk?

tumblr_m2p4zoBOVa1r1q5ado2_r1_250.gif

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

Successfully not been a racist, which is more than you can say Tahoe. 

• Like 6

It's amazing how many people just occupy space and count that as an achievement.

I remember Steve Jobs famous recruiting pitch to John Scully: "Do you want to change the world or sell sugar water to kids?"

I think elected leaders should be people who can make something happen.  I think if you want somebody who can make things happen you should look at people who have done that.  Beto is a talker, not a doer.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

It's amazing how many people just occupy space and count that as an achievement.

I remember Steve Jobs famous recruiting pitch to John Scully: "Do you want to change the world or sell sugar water to kids?"

I think elected leaders should be people who can make something happen.  I think if you want somebody who can make things happen you should look at people who have done that.  Beto is a talker, not a doer.

So then what exactly has Ted fucking Cruz done?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

Steve Jobs died because he wouldn't go to the doctor. 

• Like 6