Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

BAHAHAHA!  Why not move the fuck out if shit's that bad? 

Because eventually we evolve in spite of the fucktards. A lot of gays were murdered and now they can marry. Change and progress are messy because of those that resist with violence. And they are always on the wrong side of history.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Did this endorsement get posted?:

From the “endorsement”

This Editorial Board has recommended conservative Republicans such as George W. Bush and Mitt Romney for president,

That right there kills any sense of logic and sincerity the endorsement ever had. 

782,000+ doors knocked on since 10/13. The campaign has set the lofty goal of knocking on an additional 400k this weekend. I got my 6 hour shift planned for today.
Walked West Campus to turn out the youths this morning. Doing a phone bank tomorrow - probably not as effective as in person but there volume is so much higher, which is what's needed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NameWithHeld said:

From the “endorsement”

This Editorial Board has recommended conservative Republicans such as George W. Bush and Mitt Romney for president,

That right there kills any sense of logic and sincerity the endorsement ever had. 

I think it does the exact opposite. They're saying the R candidate is so terrible that they are compelled to jump parties and endorse the other guy. I don't see how it can be anything other than that.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Walked West Campus to turn out the youths this morning. Doing a phone bank tomorrow - probably not as effective as in person but there volume is so much higher, which is what's needed.

What was the vibe among students? Were they planning on voting, unaware, etc.?

What was the vibe among students? Were they planning on voting, unaware, etc.?

On a Saturday morning? Mostly not answering/hungover, lolz.

Everyone I did talk to was registered and had either already voted or was well aware of polling locations and hours with intentions of voting this week. These folks were targeted by the campaign so it's obviously a biased sample. I will say there is as much, maybe more, Beto signage/swag on display than there was even for Obama in 2012 when I was in school. So enthusiasm seems high, hopefully it turns into votes.

On 10/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

If only there was a way to maybe cross reference the fan fiction you just made up with the actual position of the Republican Party. Too bad there isn't a readily available party platform that has the Republican Party's position on all these issues. Oh yeah, there is a super clear platform. Let's use the Texas one since that is where we live! 

Abortion-you know the position. Pro life people are concerned about the rights of the fetus, another individual. But don’t worry, abortion is going nowhere.

Going nowhere eh? Not if the Republicans have anything to say about it! 

"We urge the federal congressional delegation from Texas to take immediate action, under the authority extended to them in Article III of the Constitution of the United States, to put forth legislation remanding all authority over abortion to the individual states and removing all standing on the issue of abortion from the federal judiciary." 

Gay marriage- Republicans have been slower to come around to this, but it’s happening as I posted earlier. 

I don't actually know what you are attempting to say here, it is indeed "happening" but no thanks to the Republicans: 

"We affirm God’s biblical design for marriage and sexual behavior between one biological man and one biological woman, which has proven to be the foundation for all great nations in Western civilization. We oppose homosexual marriage, regardless of state of origin."

Immigration- I think just about everyone outside of strict libertarians would say there should be some government involvement in maintaining our borders. 

A cute straw man, but Republicans don't call for "some" government involvement, they want that dang wall! 

"We expect both the Texas Legislature and the United States Congress to make a priority of allocating funds to effectively secure the border through whatever means necessary, including but not limited to barriers, a border wall, or fence everywhere along the border where it is feasible and useful, as well as personnel and technology over land, sea, and air."

Marijuana legalization- Again, going to happen.  Possibly under Trump. I don’t hear many Rs calling for stronger penalties or more intervention on this. Government will recede over time here. 

You are correct! Look at you, actually knowing a position of the party you so fervently support. I'm so proud of you right now. 

Gay rights- how are Rs using the state to discriminate against gays?  The cake baker case?

We'd be here all day if I posted every part of the platform that discriminates against gays. But yeah, you nailed it, the cake baker case. Brilliant. Ok fine, just one: 

"We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values."

Trans rights- I honestly know nothing about trans rights other than DoD wanted to restrict them from military.  I’m not as upset about that as y’all will want me to be. 

I don't know nothin' bout them queer trannys and I don't care! Yee Haw! But your party sums up its position quite succinctly:

"We oppose all efforts to validate transgender identity."

So please continue to write your fan fiction of what the Republican party believes. Don't let facts or reason or evidence get in the way of the made up party you are a member of in your head. And maybe, just maybe, stop posting so much god damn stupid shit on this board. 

https://www.texasgop.org/platform/

Say, anyone seen GRHorn lately? He seems to have disappeared.

Just voted. When I did, there was a dude in his black t-shirt rocker rebel gear, sitting in a chair. The official asked him if he was there to vote - no, I’m just waiting on a friend. “Well, if you’re registered to vote in Travis, you can vote here.” “I’m not registered at all.”

She say “we have the forms, if you want to be registered for next time.” He looked at me, for some reason. I nodded. And he filled it out. Pretty cool moment.

• Like 3

On 10/26/2018 at 12:26 PM, Huckleberry said:

No, we don't have to agree to disagree. We can continue to point out examples showing that your "opinion" is demonstrably incorrect. You are either unwilling or unable to post examples supporting your position. I lean toward unable, of course.

The Republican Party supports state-based solutions to just as many issues as the Democratic Party does.

Sorry for the delay.  Work got busy yesterday and today had 3 separate kid's games.

I have some time now. I'll cite a few areas where Republicans support the individual vs the State and why I find those to be important.

1) Speech- For a while now the Left has embraced attempts to regulate hate speech and/or curb free speech. I feel this is a slippery slope and something that should be avoided at all costs. You don't have to look any farther than the left leaning Big Tech companies of today to see how that can be abused and misused.  I realize they are private entities and can do as they please, but I feel they serve as a good example of how Progressives would handle regulating speech if given their choice.  Truly free speech is one of the main ideals that separates us from even the UK and Europe and it should be protected.  Here's an example from just a couple days ago from our progressive betters in Europe.  I also included a blog with plenty of hyperlinks.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/10/25/european-court-womans-defamation-muhamma

https://jonathanturley.org/2018/10/26/european-court-upholds-prosecution-of-woman-for-comparing-muhammads-marriage-to-a-six-year-old-girl-to-pedophilia/

2) Education- Republicans largely support school choice. Democrats largely oppose it. The idea that parents should not have options for their kid's education, but should potentially be stuck in a below average school of the state's choosing is abhorrent to me.  Again individual over state.  Outcomes can be improved and so can diversity levels in schools as seen in this link here.  Those are good things.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/08/16/decades-after-brown-v-board-of-education

3) Self-defense- This one is straightforward.  The Heller decision reaffirmed the individual's right to lawfully own a firearm.  To defend your own home and family.  The last Democratic Presidential nominee stated explicitly that it was a wrong decision.  Others on here have agreed with that.  I disagree.

4) Health care- I agree our health care system needs an overhaul of some kind, but single payer government health care is a bad idea.  Individuals should have more options than one government system.  Any one who has stepped foot in, or worked at, or dealt with a VA at all knows that. 

5) Taxes- Republicans support lower taxes than Democrats. There are some areas that taxes could be tweaked or increased where it's egregious like carried interest, but as a whole I support working Americans keeping their wages as much as possible. Better they use it than the wasteful government bureaucracy.  

There's probably some others, but I'll stop with these.  You can disagree on the significance of them, or think other areas are more important to address and that's fine.

Finally this, from the DNC 2012.  "Government is the one thing we all belong to."  That's quite a statement in and of itself and not one I can get behind.

Now let's all enjoy the game.  

Hook Em

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Sorry for the delay.  Work got busy yesterday and today had 3 separate kid's games.

I have some time now. I'll cite a few areas where Republicans support the individual vs the State and why I find those to be important.

1) Speech- For a while now the Left has embraced attempts to regulate hate speech and/or curb free speech. I feel this is a slippery slope and something that should be avoided at all costs. You don't have to look any farther than the left leaning Big Tech companies of today to see how that can be abused and misused.  I realize they are private entities and can do as they please, but I feel they serve as a good example of how Progressives would handle regulating speech if given their choice.  Truly free speech is one of the main ideals that separates us from even the UK and Europe and it should be protected.  Here's an example from just a couple days ago from our progressive betters in Europe.  I also included a blog with plenty of hyperlinks.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/10/25/european-court-womans-defamation-muhamma

https://jonathanturley.org/2018/10/26/european-court-upholds-prosecution-of-woman-for-comparing-muhammads-marriage-to-a-six-year-old-girl-to-pedophilia/

2) Education- Republicans largely support school choice. Democrats largely oppose it. The idea that parents should not have options for their kid's education, but should potentially be stuck in a below average school of the state's choosing is abhorrent to me.  Again individual over state.  Outcomes can be improved and so can diversity levels in schools as seen in this link here.  Those are good things.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/08/16/decades-after-brown-v-board-of-education

3) Self-defense- This one is straightforward.  The Heller decision reaffirmed the individual's right to lawfully own a firearm.  To defend your own home and family.  The last Democratic Presidential nominee stated explicitly that it was a wrong decision.  Others on here have agreed with that.  I disagree.

4) Health care- I agree our health care system needs an overhaul of some kind, but single payer government health care is a bad idea.  Individuals should have more options than one government system.  Any one who has stepped foot in, or worked at, or dealt with a VA at all knows that. 

5) Taxes- Republicans support lower taxes than Democrats. There are some areas that taxes could be tweaked or increased where it's egregious like carried interest, but as a whole I support working Americans keeping their wages as much as possible. Better they use it than the wasteful government bureaucracy.  

There's probably some others, but I'll stop with these.  You can disagree on the significance of them, or think other areas are more important to address and that's fine.

Finally this, from the DNC 2012.  "Government is the one thing we all belong to."  That's quite a statement in and of itself and not one I can get behind.

Now let's all enjoy the game.  

Hook Em

1 speech:  You're full of shit.  It wasn't democrats that went after Howard Stern.  It was the GOP,  led by Brownback.  Dems support Net Neutrality, GOP doesn't. 

Wait... what? That’s the core principle that our country is founded upon. WE are our government, not a king or a family or elitist class rulers. That’s who we are.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.
  • Like 1

(Knock-knock)

(30-something frazzled female answers)

Hi _____ . I'm volunteering for the Beto O'Rourke campaign for US Senate! Have you gotten a chance to vote by any chance?

No, but I'm going to --- so I'm watching TV and Ted Cruz is everywhere! Where are the Beto ads?! Saying he's for open borders, and ... it's just non-stop Cruz with his LIES!! What is the campaign doing with 38 million dollars?!

So... you said you are going to vote. When do --

You all are going to Lose! Even Lizzie Pannil Fletcher is all over the TV. Where is Beto? Cruz is such an easy target! Talk about ____ ! (can't remember)

I think I saw that ad. (might have been a little fib)

Well I didn't!

What channels are you watching?

Oh, ESPN... football, and HGTV. Well, I'm glad I didn't give any more money than I did because you all are going to lose!

So you are going to-

No - um, see ya (Shuts door abruptly)

She makes a good point, but who under 65 watches HGTV?

21 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

(Knock-knock)

(30-something frazzled female answers)

Hi _____ . I'm volunteering for the Beto O'Rourke campaign for US Senate! Have you gotten a chance to vote by any chance?

No, but I'm going to --- so I'm watching TV and Ted Cruz is everywhere! Where are the Beto ads?! Saying he's for open borders, and ... it's just non-stop Cruz with his LIES!! What is the campaign doing with 38 million dollars?!

So... you said you are going to vote. When do --

You all are going to Lose! Even Lizzie Pannil Fletcher is all over the TV. Where is Beto? Cruz is such an easy target! Talk about ____ ! (can't remember)

I think I saw that ad. (might have been a little fib)

Well I didn't!

What channels are you watching?

Oh, ESPN... football, and HGTV. Well, I'm glad I didn't give any more money than I did because you all are going to lose!

So you are going to-

No - um, see ya (Shuts door abruptly)

She makes a good point, but who under 65 watches HGTV?

Is HGTV the one with all the flipping houses shows? If so, then a fucking lot of people under 65 watch it 

• Like 1

The first Beto talking head ad (that he recorded live in 3-4 takes on Facebook) is fairly weak, I think.  His newer ones where he has a little teeth are better.  I get what he's doing, I think - the whole campaign is about being personal, visiting everyone, being one on one, not having strategists, etc.  The ads are the same.  Time between shooting the ads and they are on the air is non existent.  I kinda like that, but meanwhile, look at what MJ Hegar is doing with ads, even beyond the Doors one

• Like 1

Saw a Beto ad during one of the football games tonight. Just him talking to the screen. not sure if it was the same one referenced in the post above. He comes across as a lightweight... like an overgrown frat boy. Not a good ad.  A US senator is a serious position...that ad magnified the 'riding a skateboard' feel of not ready for primetime.

Surprised his campaign let that go on the air

• Haha 1

Saw a Beto ad during one of the football games tonight. Just him talking to the screen. not sure if it was the same one referenced in the post above. He comes across as a lightweight... like an overgrown frat boy. Not a good ad.  A US senator is a serious position...that ad magnified the 'riding a skateboard' feel of not ready for primetime.

The President doesn’t know how to close an umbrella.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

If only there was a way to maybe cross reference the fan fiction you just made up with the actual position of the Republican Party. Too bad there isn't a readily available party platform that has the Republican Party's position on all these issues. Oh yeah, there is a super clear platform. Let's use the Texas one since that is where we live! 

Abortion-you know the position. Pro life people are concerned about the rights of the fetus, another individual. But don’t worry, abortion is going nowhere.

Going nowhere eh? Not if the Republicans have anything to say about it! 

"We urge the federal congressional delegation from Texas to take immediate action, under the authority extended to them in Article III of the Constitution of the United States, to put forth legislation remanding all authority over abortion to the individual states and removing all standing on the issue of abortion from the federal judiciary." 

Gay marriage- Republicans have been slower to come around to this, but it’s happening as I posted earlier. 

I don't actually know what you are attempting to say here, it is indeed "happening" but no thanks to the Republicans: 

"We affirm God’s biblical design for marriage and sexual behavior between one biological man and one biological woman, which has proven to be the foundation for all great nations in Western civilization. We oppose homosexual marriage, regardless of state of origin."

Immigration- I think just about everyone outside of strict libertarians would say there should be some government involvement in maintaining our borders. 

A cute straw man, but Republicans don't call for "some" government involvement, they want that dang wall! 

"We expect both the Texas Legislature and the United States Congress to make a priority of allocating funds to effectively secure the border through whatever means necessary, including but not limited to barriers, a border wall, or fence everywhere along the border where it is feasible and useful, as well as personnel and technology over land, sea, and air."

Marijuana legalization- Again, going to happen.  Possibly under Trump. I don’t hear many Rs calling for stronger penalties or more intervention on this. Government will recede over time here. 

You are correct! Look at you, actually knowing a position of the party you so fervently support. I'm so proud of you right now. 

Gay rights- how are Rs using the state to discriminate against gays?  The cake baker case?

We'd be here all day if I posted every part of the platform that discriminates against gays. But yeah, you nailed it, the cake baker case. Brilliant. Ok fine, just one: 

"We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values."

Trans rights- I honestly know nothing about trans rights other than DoD wanted to restrict them from military.  I’m not as upset about that as y’all will want me to be. 

I don't know nothin' bout them queer trannys and I don't care! Yee Haw! But your party sums up its position quite succinctly:

"We oppose all efforts to validate transgender identity."

So please continue to write your fan fiction of what the Republican party believes. Don't let facts or reason or evidence get in the way of the made up party you are a member of in your head. And maybe, just maybe, stop posting so much god damn stupid shit on this board. 

https://www.texasgop.org/platform/

This was a good post.  Kudos on the fan fiction line.

In a lot of ways the Texas GOP is behind the rest of the country, but they’ll come around. Hell, we’ll eventually have legal pot here too. 

The platform they lay out strikes me as including some ideals that’ll never happen that they include to garner support from a wide variety of constituents.  I’m sure the Dem party is similar in that respect.  

I guess I’m more pragmatic on a lot of these things.  I don’t support abortion, but it’s been around so long it’s a settled deal. I give literally zero thought to it outside of the fact that I find late term abortions disgusting. 

I look at gay marriage the same way.  I don’t care who wants to get married. Most younger people don’t. Evangelicals acting through the Republican Party long term aren’t going to be able to do anything about it, so it’s not an issue that I give much thought to when voting.  Republicans use of the state to oppose that will only diminish from here.

9 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

A US senator is a serious position...that ad magnified the 'riding a skateboard' feel of not ready for primetime.

Huh... a Republican is against a candidate for not being ready for that powerful position... that’s rich.