Blade Runner 2049

wood

Got damn if I didn't think there was already a thread on this here. I searched but found nada. I guess it was at the place whose name shall not be written.

Anyway, saw it in the movie and liked it. Then when it hit cable I immediately put it on the DVR. Haven't really paid it too much mind since then, but I've watched and re-watched it again recently. Gotta say it's getting better and better for me each time I view it, much like it the original did. 

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

(She gets naked, btw.)

I know the contemporary view of this movie today is a bit mixed, but it'll get better over time.  Especially if they cut the 20 minutes or so after Las Vegas.

Yeah the one-eyed chick was not convincing.

• 2 weeks later...

I love it. Love it love it love it. I’ve watched it several times now and for a bit I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Luv is a FANTASTIC character and a worthy successor to Roy Batty (not as good, but worthy). It looks and sounds incredible and I liked the story. Leto was the weakest link for me but not bad. And oh yes...

original.gif

• Like 1

Love Ana de Armas, but the more I see this movie on the dvr, the more blown away I am by Sylvia Hoeks' performance. She was just amazing.

Also, someone mentioned the sound. The sound in this movie engages the viewer every bit as much as what's on the screen imho. Sound can make or break a film, and in this case it goes a long way toward making it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Love Ana de Armas, but the more I see this movie on the dvr, the more blown away I am by Sylvia Hoeks' performance. She was just amazing.
Also, someone mentioned the sound. The sound in this movie engages the viewer every bit as much as what's on the screen imho. Sound can make or break a film, and in this case it goes a long way toward making it.

Totally agree. I like how there are moments when it’s hard to tell if what you are hearing is the soundtrack or sound effects. Very immersive.

And I want one of those cool ass flying cars with built in drone.

BR1 was not well received by critics or movie goers originally.  Since then of course, opinions have changed.  BR2 was better received, but not up to its hype.  I wonder, 15 years from now, what will people think of it.

Which leads me to a question asked in some review of some other movie recently.  With modern CGI, cinematography, etc, where EVERY singe aspect of every single scene is reviewed many times, and can be tweaked after it was filmed; is something lost? I think if the toymaker scene in BR1.  They used miniatures and forced-perspective to make a great scene, but you can tell it's just a bit "off." A great scene of course, but not perfect.  Imagine that scene made today, with modern techniques.  Would it be better?

• 3 weeks later...

I want to see this whole movie, but just like everytime I see "Porky's" on cable on a hungover weekend and it's always the scene where Ms. Ballbreaker is asking for the dick lineup...so to is it always on the Gosling scene at the abandoned home with the bones and the carvings in the tree.  Plus I don't think I've seen the last 5-10 minutes either.  Is it on Netflix or Amazon Prime yet?  

the one where he's talking about the carved date with the hologram sexblade.   Is that the beginning?  Always feels like I'm missing the opening 15-20 minutes that everybody else talks about, I dunno.  

the one where he's talking about the carved date with the hologram sexblade.   Is that the beginning?  Always feels like I'm missing the opening 15-20 minutes that everybody else talks about, I dunno.  

That’s not the beginning. But you said the bones and the tree. That’s the beginning, after the encounter with Batista.

• 3 months later...

Question: after the girl had sex with K, she slipped a tracking device into his bag. She was working for the rebels & put it there for them to track him, right? Then K broke Joi's emanator antenna when he put her in it, killing that signal ... so how did Luv track him to Vegas? 

Also, it seems unlikely to me with all the technology available that K couldn't simply back Joi up on another device & take it with him, like a phone, etc...

ETA: Never mind. I forgot Luv used Joshi's computer to locate K after she killed Joshi.

Edited by wood

• 4 months later...
On 9/20/2018 at 7:51 PM, Parliament said:

I know the contemporary view of this movie today is a bit mixed, but it'll get better over time.  Especially if they cut the 20 minutes or so after Las Vegas.

On 9/21/2018 at 12:09 AM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The contemporary view shouldn't be mixed. This movie fucking rocked. 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:30 PM, Buzzrock said:

I love it. Love it love it love it. I’ve watched it several times now and for a bit I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Luv is a FANTASTIC character and a worthy successor to Roy Batty (not as good, but worthy). It looks and sounds incredible and I liked the story. Leto was the weakest link for me but not bad. And oh yes...

On 10/4/2018 at 8:39 PM, DougO said:

I liked it. Not perfect, but very nice.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:20 PM, Xian said:

I loved it and don’t get the hate. Thought it was perfect 

On 10/4/2018 at 9:44 PM, Neonmoon said:

This movie was one of those rare occasions where the sequel didn’t suck 

great movie 

On 10/5/2018 at 12:46 PM, HoustonFrog said:

I’ve seen it three times now and like it more each time. The scenes with the resistance movement were a bit much, but otherwise it was wonderful

Gosling was awesome. He’s becoming a must watch actor

On 10/11/2018 at 8:28 AM, Parliament said:

BR1 was not well received by critics or movie goers originally.  Since then of course, opinions have changed.  BR2 was better received, but not up to its hype.  I wonder, 15 years from now, what will people think of it.

OK, I've watched the sequel several times now and just got around to watching the original & sequel back to back with my kid. Viewed back to back, the franchise is just fantastic imho, even with all its warts. Is there another sequel that holds up so well to its predecessor? It's really amazing how well they carried a consistent mood, visuals, and the story into the sequel. Just love it. Highly recommend watching them back to back. A visual & aural feast. Looking fwd to the next one.

Edited by wood

49 minutes ago, wood said:

OK, I've watched the sequel several times now and just got around to watching the original & sequel back to back with my kid. Viewed back to back, the franchise is just fantastic imho, even with all its warts. Is there another sequel that holds up so well to its predecessor? It's really amazing how well they carried a consistent mood, visuals, and the story into the sequel. Just love it. Highly recommend watching them back to back. A visual & aural feast. Looking fwd to the next one.

Empire Strikes Back :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/3/2022 at 11:57 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I finally watched this.  Thought it dragged excessively.  To the point that watching it at home, I had to will myself not to do other things.

The first time I saw it I remember thinking meh.  The second time, well over a year later, I really, really dug it and found that I hadn't remembered a thing about it.  I felt the same way with the original Blade Runner.  There's a lot of subtly that if you're not willing to engage, will make it drag. Plus it's a long movie.  The last quarter sets up nicely for a follow up if anyone wants to pick it up.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The first time I saw it I remember thinking meh.  The second time, well over a year later, I really, really dug it and found that I hadn't remembered a thing about it.  I felt the same way with the original Blade Runner.  There's a lot of subtly that if you're not willing to engage, will make it drag. Plus it's a long movie.  The last quarter sets up nicely for a follow up if anyone wants to pick it up.  

That's fair.  I was a bit the same way about the first one.  Not so much that it dragged, but I suppose at some level, I find the do androids dream/have souls kind of tiresome, maybe?

• 1 year later...

I re-watched it tonight (for the 5th time maybe).  I disagree that it drags.  But I also fully admit I love a slow burn.  Hell, my favorite movie since high school has been Apocalypse Now (I am one of the few that loves Redux).  I also think that Joe was Indiana's twin son.  Fuck, the visuals are so fucking good.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

Blade Runner 2049 is as much an homage to 1982's Blade Runner as it is a continuation of the story. This was clearly a work of love and respect, from the sound effects and visuals to the soundtrack and mood. Hell, casting a Dutch actor to play the replicant villain was no accident. Even the ending is a straight-up tribute. It shares the same music and a similar selfless sacrifice, only with snow instead of rain.

That said, 2049 doesn't boast the same potency. There's nothing that quite matches Batty's "Tears in Rain" monologue or the "meet your maker" exchange between he and Tyrell. How could it, though? Ridley's effort focuses on the ultimate existential, the question not even Monty Python could answer, i.e., why the fuck do we go through all this if it just disappears the moment we die?

Instead, 2049 sort of evolves into a modern day Pinocchio, but instead of a wooden doll with dreams of being real, it's an android wishing to be born. By the end, he does find his answer to that question and, within it, his purpose.

Overall, I'm very happy this film was made. It makes you think, it makes you feel. Outside of a few cheap laughs, the vast majority of movies released have little chance of accomplishing either.

As for runtime, I'd apply the adage of "it should be however long it can be as long as it is good." I don't think 2049 could have ended any other way, with K on those steps, in the snow, confused and heartbroken yet, somehow, at peace.

Hollywood considers it a modest flop because it didn't earn back triple its budget inside of half a year, but I consider it an artistic achievement. I adore that Villeneuve et al. dared to make it.

• Hook 'Em 3