The movie you just watched

F250

“Saltburn”. 

It was ok, not a rewatch but a pretty good movie. Imagine if “Talented Mr. Ripley” and “Parasite” had a baby. 

Those are the exact 2 movies I thought of.

I didn’t think Saltburn brought anything new to the table and it tried to make up for its lack of originality by adding shock value. It was okay at best.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Meet The Fockers (2004)

I’d never seen this movie, but my goodness, what a barren, soulless time 2004 must have been.

I know it’s been popular for auteurs, actors and artists to criticize what MCU has done to the movie industry by way of dumbing down for audiences and diminishing cinema in favor of popcorn movies, but after watching this movie it’s clear the selling out was done well well before MCU phase 3.

To watch some world class actors, one of the GOATs in Dustin Hoffman and DeNiro just cash in for a quick check in a bumbling comedy that wasn’t even funny, makes Bruce Willis and Nic Cage’s straight to DVD cashing out look darn right respectable.

Too late the hero. Old Michael Cain, Cliff Robertson war movie. I don’t think I have seen it since its original release. We are a much more sophisticated audience these days so yes, it’s dated. But, there is something about it that works. 

Like all of his films, it will feel very intellectualized at first, until a few hours later you realize that Jonathan Glazer had plunged his hand into your chest and gripped your heart tight from the very beginning. I can't stop thinking about it. It's also hilarious how his adaptation process seems to take less and less from its source material with each film he makes (not a spoiler). The first five or so minutes (hard to tell) almost made me feel like I was starting trip. Incredible sound design.

Pre-show felt like a Seinfeldian problem: was it okay to order popcorn during a movie like The Zone of Interest? We decided that it was fine. Didn't feel like anyone else in the theater gave it a second thought.

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, safe sex said:

Like all of his films, it will feel very intellectualized at first, until a few hours later you realize that Jonathan Glazer had plunged his hand into your chest and gripped your heart tight from the very beginning. I can't stop thinking about it. It's also hilarious how his adaptation process seems to take less and less from its source material with each film he makes (not a spoiler). The first five or so minutes (hard to tell) almost made me feel like I was starting trip. Incredible sound design.

Pre-show felt like a Seinfeldian problem: was it okay to order popcorn during a movie like The Zone of Interest? We decided that it was fine. Didn't feel like anyone else in the theater gave it a second thought.

Enjoyed it. Best use of sound in a movie that I can remember. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

Infinity Pool. felt like a two-hour Tool video. not nearly as shocking as it was trying to be. meh.

Killing of a Sacred Deer. because i am now obsessed with Barry Keoghan lol. odd but nicely shot and well acted. 

He's fantastic in The Banshees of Inisherin, if you haven't seen that yet.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, safe sex said:

He's fantastic in The Banshees of Inisherin, if you haven't seen that yet.

Not to be contrarian, but I didn't get the rave reviews here on the Banshees thread when I first saw it. He was good, don't get me wrong--just didn't think he did anything spectacular with the role or the part that was special. 

I said at the time and still seriously ask:

What am I missing about Barry Keoghan's acting that was superb and masterful? He played a young abused man with some mental slowness well enough, but for me it was Colin Ferrell who was the MVP. His character demanded more of him by struggling through a broader range of emotions and mindsets and Ferrell killed it in comparison, but all I heard about was this young guy's performance which, again was good.

Edited by BeardIP

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

Not to be contrarian, but I didn't get the rave reviews here on the Banshees thread when I first saw it. He was good, don't get me wrong--just didn't think he did anything spectacular with the role or the part that was special. 

I said at the time and still seriously ask:

What am I missing about Barry Keoghan's acting that was superb and masterful? He played a young abused man with some mental slowness well enough, but for me it was Colin Ferrell who was the MVP. His character demanded more of him by struggling through a broader range of emotions and mindsets and Ferrell killed it in comparison, but all I heard about was this young guy's performance which, again was good.

I think everyone in the movie is really great and didn't say anything about one performance being better than the other. 

• Hook 'Em 2

You Are So Not Invited to my Bat Mitzvah (2023) Happy Madison/Adam Sandler movie.

I know I am biased and have a soft spot for his stupid Netflix movies and think they are decent when most think they are blatant money grabs, but this one genuinely was pretty compelling and good (e.g. Not Hubie Halloween or Murder Mystery).

It is a coming of age, teen drama vehicle, starring his real life daughter who was actually really strong in this. And some of Adam Sandler films can surprisingly have a lot of heart (e.g. Spanglish) and this was one of them, I think.

Fun movie to watch with a teenage daughter, if you have one, I think too, and not too inappropriate (PG-13, mild stuff).

Critics seemed to like it:

Spoiler

On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 91% of 76 critics' reviews are positive, with an average rating of 6.9/10. The website's consensus reads: "A coming-of-age comedy that sidesteps simple nostalgia, You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah finds fresh humor in adolescent anxiety—and suggests a bright future for star Sunny Sandler."[9] Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 71 out of 100, based on 20 critics, indicating "generally favorable" reviews

Edited by BeardIP

Juxtaposed the above ^^ with the other movie I watched with my teenage daughter on Netflix, Family Switch (2023), which was a very tired, blatant money grab for Jennifer Garner and desperate attempt to stay relevant (and get a chance to kiss Jennifer Garner, maybe) for Ed Helms. 

It's another in the long line of tropes, and one that Garner did better 20 years ago with 13 Going on 30.

Last one, and man, Adam Sandler must be a billionaire now seriously with his content and distribution deal with Netflix, but we really all like his new animated film Leo

Bill Burr is hard to cast in anything long form because he is so acidly funny and bitingly witty in a very edgy way that works in short bursts (I thought Old Dads sucked, and I really wanted to love it because I love Bill Burr), but he works here as the curmudgeonly funny turtle. It's a sweet and funny movie -- Think "The Secret Life of Pets + SING!" set in 5th grade.

It's not quite Rango, which nobody in my house likes and I love, and I think might be one of the most underrated animated standalone films in modern history, but we have watched it multiple times with the kids.

Edited by BeardIP

On 1/15/2024 at 4:39 PM, BeardIP said:

What am I missing about Barry Keoghan's acting that was superb and masterful? He played a young abused man with some mental slowness well enough, but for me it was Colin Ferrell who was the MVP.

Acting isn't a competitive sport. The whole cast, as Safe Sex writes above, were exceptional. Keoghan's achievement may be marked by the fact that he was so memorable with so little screen time. His hopeless profession of love was sweet and devastating at the same time. Kerry Condon shines in that scene as well. His hopelessness is an echo of the whole movie where Condon is the only one to escape.

To be clear, I have enormous admiration for Ferrell, as well. Maybe the best lead performance of that year.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

Saw Barbie last night, quite a lot of fun and some good laughs. It contained a surprising amount of Matrix references and similarities. I thought it was a good comedy, but I didn't think anything about it was Oscar worthy. It will be interesting to see if it gets any noms. The set design and story were great, and the cast was very entertaining. 6/10

Watched Oppenheimer too, and really can't say enough great things about it. I hope RDJ wins for supporting actor, he was excellent. It's one of those movies that is really long, but the pacing and intensity keeps you so engaged that you don't feel like it's 3 hours long. The cast is epic, so many actors you will recognize from all over. Such an excellent way of telling a story that would otherwise seem dry and somewhat boring, but was constantly full of tension, intrigue and interesting dialogue. 10/10

On 1/16/2024 at 1:25 AM, GoPokes83 said:

Depeche Mode 101. Weird little time capsule of the late 80’s with some great concert footage.

Anyone else go see them at Six Flags in Arlington for that tour?  

Great show.  OMD opened, IIRC.

• Like 1

Halfway thru the first Episode of "Ted" (Peacock). It's funny as hell. Warning: politically incorrect. Never seen the word "motherfucking" on TV before. Not ever sure I've seen it in a movie. Didn't know what to expect, but I like it.

PS Haven't seen the movie released in 2012 with Mark Wahlberg.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch