2018 Hurricane Season

Lobwedgephil

7 minutes ago, BERT said:

If i ever see Jim Cantore anywhere i am during this time of the year, i'm getting the fuck out and not asking any questions. 

He got blasted back in 2002 on the Outer banks of NC. during Isabel (class 2, but gargantuan in size) for creating some false reporting drama with a big ass fan if you can believe that story.

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

^^^

If that scenario happens with a 150 mile wide hurricane winds then the Myrtle Beach area will be close to receiving 48 hours of hurricane winds.  Whoever chooses to ride that out is really going to regret it.

Ride out a cat. 4 and  your life (or, the end of it) will resemble this song:

Galveston here. Love hurricanes, they bring surf. Just hope they all hit Lousiana and give us the clean side.

https://www.businessinsider.com/puerto-rico-water-bottle-fema-hurrican-maria-2018-9

Some sad news about Puerto Rico, apparently they had the water, just didn't distribute it.

Photos reportedly show massive stockpile of bottled water left on a runway for more than a year in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria

6 hours ago, Blotto said:

Just read about this abandoned coast guard lighthouse about 30 miles off shore, that has been converted to an "adventure" b&b. It's called Frying Pan Tower.

P7030064.JPG

Their webcam might be worth checking out if the feed stays up for awhile

https://explore.org/livecams/oceans/frying-pan-cam

It appears that the video has succumb to the storm. You can hear the raging winds, but no video.

^^^
If that scenario happens with a 150 mile wide hurricane winds then the Myrtle Beach area will be close to receiving 48 hours of hurricane winds.  Whoever chooses to ride that out is really going to regret it.

Wife’s aunt has a shitty beach house on a fantastic lot in North Myrtle Beach. It’s over insured so she’s hoping it’s leveled so they can build something nice.

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Wife’s aunt has a shitty beach house on a fantastic lot in North Myrtle Beach. It’s over insured so she’s hoping it’s leveled so they can build something nice.

If the storm does not get it, throw a kegger and invite the Surl degenerates. I am sure we could take care of it. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

When I had a shitty car with lots of mechanical problems, I hoped for something similar.  I was at work, and a hail storm was coming in.  Everyone was running outside to move their car to the parking garage.  I ran out and moved mine to the roof of the parking garage.

24 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

When I had a shitty car with lots of mechanical problems, I hoped for something similar.  I was at work, and a hail storm was coming in.  Everyone was running outside to move their car to the parking garage.  I ran out and moved mine to the roof of the parking garage.

amazing what some companies will pay you for a worthless hunk of shit. we had a mini bus parked in a wood shed/barn for the longest time and a severe thunderstorm took it out(the company never bothered even checking this place out) and cut my dad a check for like 45 grand for a bus that hadn't moved in years.

another time my parents basement flooded and they had to gut it and get new walls/carpet. their 30 year old wedding present couch that had busted legs on it from us playing on it so it was held up by worthless encyclopedias. they got about 200 bucks for that, and my cousin came and got the couch for his basement and ended up getting about 500 dollars for it.

as my dad says "nothing sweeter than insurance money"

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

58 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

and this is why insurance premiums are only getting higher for everyone.  paying people to continue to make be idiots.

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

amazing what some companies will pay you for a worthless hunk of shit. we had a mini bus parked in a wood shed/barn for the longest time and a severe thunderstorm took it out(the company never bothered even checking this place out) and cut my dad a check for like 45 grand for a bus that hadn't moved in years.

another time my parents basement flooded and they had to gut it and get new walls/carpet. their 30 year old wedding present couch that had busted legs on it from us playing on it so it was held up by worthless encyclopedias. they got about 200 bucks for that, and my cousin came and got the couch for his basement and ended up getting about 500 dollars for it.

as my dad says "nothing sweeter than insurance money"

Had really low mileage as well.  If it was totaled, I would have probably gotten around $5k.  The hail missed us by half a mile.  6 months later I sold it for $1.5k.

I hope she does, but the slower she goes means more rain over areas. Coast where she hits is fucked. Best thing would be her moving fast inland once she hits. I was thinking today, does she have the power to pull up the tropical moisture the further south she goes. Any weather experts want to chime in? 

In my part of the world super typhoon Ompong is about to hit the east coast of Luzon island the Philippines with 160 mph winds and a 23 foot storm surge. It is going to be bad.

Lucky for me I am closer to the other side of the island and the eye is supposed to go well north of me, so I will be in the dryer side of the storm. I hope.

There's an  independent weather guy in our area WXrisk.com he forecasts weather for oil companies apparently He's been saying this for several days, against conventional wisdom of the big meteorologists.  Those ridges are saving the Va. and upper NC coastlines, southern NC, SC and points inland not so much...........

20 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

No, but I stared down your mom's gaping eye last night.

Here is the picture your mom sent of her gaping wound (It may be in response to the NWS offer made in the post below

Dm7It_NWwAI6HRN.jpg

17 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Interesting graphic from the National Weather Service.  They said on their FB post any alternative meaning to the graphic was unintentional...

florence_nws_graphic.jpg

8 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Getting weaker, now a Cat 2.  The media is clearly disappointed.

Don't go to sleep on it strengthening. Eye wall reconstruction cycles weaken and she hasn't yet gotten to the warm water on the continental shelf yet to build off of, which she'll likely do today. It is with a few mph of being a Cat 3.

Dm8lxCNUcAEhFuS.jpg:large

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Moby Ric said:

It's totally fucked up.   While those of us that live on the coast and went through Ike, Harvey etc know how serious these things can be it seems that the press just foams at the mouth feeding on the destruction and the misery of others in matter like these.

If it bleeds, it leads.

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Anyone want to make any bets where Isaac will go after it skirts Jamaica?

Anywhere from through Nicaragua into the Pacific to off the East Coast .... well that certainly narrows it down

storm_09_ens.gif

This guy has my attention.  I think it hits the Yucatan and gets back in the gulf and reforms and starts to curl north.  Sound familiar?

Just now, Moby Ric said:

It's totally fucked up.   While those of us that live on the coast and went through Ike, Harvey etc know how serious these things can be it seems that the press just foams at the mouth feeding on the destruction and the misery of others in matter like these.

Unfortunately it's not just the press.  People who don't know what it's like too be in the path of of these monsters have a can't look away from the wreck attitude, just human nature I guess.  

Having lived around water my whole life, I've been thru a few of these. I've ridden out a northeaster on a boat in the middle of the Chesapeake bay, been thru several tropical storms, and rode out a few hurricanes, and while it seems exciting to ride out a storm, it ain't when you're in the middle of it.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Unfortunately it's not just the press.  People who don't know what it's like too be in the path of of these monsters have a can't look away from the wreck attitude, just human nature I guess.  

Having lived around water my whole life, I've been thru a few of these. I've ridden out a northeaster on a boat in the middle of the Chesapeake bay, been thru several tropical storms, and rode out a few hurricanes, and while it seems exciting to ride out a storm, it ain't when you're in the middle of it.

Disagree, but I do get your point.

I have been through many more than a few hurricanes over the years...  During the actual storm it is exciting, interesting, and even enjoyable if you're safe...and the weather just before the storm is usually glorious...  it's the aftermath that really really sucks.

• Like 1

I've lived in the Housotn area for 11 years now and have been through 2 hurricanes.  It was 10 years ago today that Ike made landfall.  We were without power for 15 days, and Ike was "just" a Cat 2 hurricane.  We are about 75 miles from the coast, we were on the "clean" side of the eye and we still has sustained winds of 80 mph with gusts over 100 mph.  It was no joke and it sucked.  Even with advanced warning, there were still over 100 people killed in Texas.  I hope the people in the path of this storm do not take it lightly just because as of the moment it is "only" a Cat 2.

Edit: to Loco's point, during the storm it was fascinating to watch.  We were pretty close to the eyewall as it went pretty much up 45.  It was awesome to watch the eye pass and to see the wind direction change and be just as fierce.  

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1